PDA

View Full Version : Why Lord Vishnu is Preserver

shian
10 April 2012, 09:28 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fMkTQuKKD6g/TNz5hpwTYEI/AAAAAAAAACM/iIpqQS5JfOI/s1600/om+namo+narayanaya.jpg

Vanakkam,

i dont understand why Lord Vishnu is identic with preserver quality ?

Thank You

shian
04 July 2012, 08:05 PM
Vanakkam,

where is i can find Vaishnava website ? i find many ISKCON, but cant find the website of other sect of Vaishnava (who contain much teachings).

Thank you :)

Jimmy
05 July 2012, 11:03 AM
Hello,

He is God....so obviously He is preserver

And He is also the creator and the destroyer

It is the ignorance that makes us believe that all are separate

Brahman is One, without a second

JayaRadhe
19 July 2012, 10:14 AM
Namaste!
Lord Vishnu is the creator, preserver, and destroyer.
He creates even Lord Brahma, which is why in Gita 11.39, Krishna is called 'Prapitamaha' (the Father of the grandfather). Brahma is the grandfather of the universe only because he is empowered by Lord Vishnu to create. He is much like ordinary human parents in that way. Only by God's grace can humans have children and only through Lord Vishnu's grace can Brahma create.

We recognize him most of all as the preserver because he is the only deity who regularly takes form on earth in order to preserve his followers. Without Lord Vishnu's avatars, we would be completely lost.

There will be much debate as to how he is related to the destruction of the universe, as that is traditionally the role of Lord Shiva, and there is much conflict between Shaivas and Vaishnavas (and even sometimes between Vaishnavas and Vaishnavas!) over the role of Lord Shiva. However, I will leave you with this quote from Lord Krishna (Gita 11.32):
"The Lord said, 'I am Kala (or Time), the great destroyer of the universe...'"

And also a few names from the Vishnu Sahasranamam in relation to his roles in creation and destruction, as well as his relationship to Shiva:
Ajah (Without Birth)
Rudra (Wailer)
Jagadadijah (Bearer of the universe)
Vishvayoni (Womb of the universe)
Adi-Deva (Eternal God)
Parameshwara (Greatest Lord)
Kala (Time)
Bhuta-Maheshwara (The Great Lord of the Living)
Mahadeva (Great God)
Puratana (Ancient One)
Shiva (Auspicious One)
Krutantakrut (One who causes destruction)
Svayambhu (Born of Himself; Cause of His Own Existence)