PDA

View Full Version : Lord Shiva and incense.

Rudy
11 April 2012, 04:47 PM
Hello all

What incense(s) is burned during home puja for Lord Shiva? The same for Lord Ganesh.

Hopefully it is the type of incense that is rather cheap and easily available :o.

c.smith
11 April 2012, 06:30 PM
Hari Om!

IMHO, what's most important is using something that you find in your heart that will be pleasing to the Lord.

Additionally, there are boxes and boxes of incenses to choose from so it should be fairly easy to find something you know that Ganesha and Shiva will like. Many merchants sell brands in boxes that are named "Ganesha" , "Shiva" etc. Not sure if this is to sell the product or if it is to be used as named.

All the best in your continuing ventures.

Jai Hanuman!

Eastern Mind
11 April 2012, 06:57 PM
Vannakkam Rudy: Personally, I can't tell what the Gods might like, so I use what I like. The current trend around this house is one called Nag Champa. Not sure if its a brand name, or a variety.

Happy smelling.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
11 April 2012, 07:02 PM
I always use Sandalwood, that's what we use at the Ashram too.

But like EM said, it's what you like that is important.

Maya

Rudy
12 April 2012, 07:11 AM
Good to know.

Amala
13 April 2012, 10:22 AM
Namaste,

I LOVE Sri Sai Flora. It quite honestly affects my state of mind... I feel at once taken away... somehow less physical... http://www.amazon.com/Sri-Sai-Flora-Fluxo-Incense/dp/B0047IJY12 but I have to concur with those who say that whatever feels right is the best choice. If what feels right is what others purport to be the god's fav, then you would have to break the law in most countries, because he loves pot. :-)

Eastern Mind
13 April 2012, 10:24 AM
he loves pot. :-)

Vannakkam: Holy smokes, (pardon the pun) but where'd that come from?

Aum Namasivaya

Amala
13 April 2012, 10:35 AM
ha ha ha

Namaste EM, Well, usually it's served in the form of a beverage, not smoked. :-) It's called bhang.

Vannakkam: Holy smokes, (pardon the pun) but where'd that come from?

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
13 April 2012, 10:46 AM
ha ha ha

Namaste EM, Well, usually it's served in the form of a beverage, not smoked. :-) It's called bhang.

Vannakkam: But where are you getting this information? In 2 trips to India, many visits to temples here and there, 40 years of practice, I've never encountered bhang or the sweet smell of 'incense'. I really think its one of those cultural misappropriations: a hangover from the 60s, and a fairly unfortunate one at that, given Hinduism is already misunderstood in the west in many other ways.

Course I could be wrong. Maybe most of India is stoned every day.

Aum Namasivaya

Divine Kala
13 April 2012, 11:09 AM
It's more of a north Indian sadhu thing, EM. Pot is viewed as sacred to Shiva in the north and it's a ANCIENT practise. To the point that if your a Shiva Bhakta smoking pot or drinking bhang on a Shiva holy day you probably won't be prosecuted.

Amala
13 April 2012, 11:11 AM
Namaste,

My teacher was born and raised in India. To him, it's common knowledge. As I said, I don't think it's smoked nor burned as incence. As far as I know, it's always in the form of a beverage. I was being silly with regard to the notion of burning it in that way. In India the stuff grows wild all over the place so I don't think it's a big deal, not even worthy of mention except by outsiders who would stand agape at the idea. But, they do "get high" from the drink. Mind you "get high" is vague and might have little more impact than a cup of chamomile tea. Monks drink it, according to him. So, he's my primary source of information, which I trust far more than the Net. :-)

Vannakkam: But where are you getting this information? In 2 trips to India, many visits to temples here and there, 40 years of practice, I've never encountered bhang or the sweet smell of 'incense'. I really think its one of those cultural misappropriations: a hangover from the 60s, and a fairly unfortunate one at that, given Hinduism is already misunderstood in the west in many other ways.

Course I could be wrong. Maybe most of India is stoned every day.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
13 April 2012, 12:03 PM
It's more of a north Indian sadhu thing, EM.

Vannakkam: Yes, I know. And I think its a generalisation outward from that.
But to each his own, really. Not many teachers that I know of recommend it. Most discourage it.

Aum Namasivaya

Amala
13 April 2012, 01:09 PM
Namaste,

I believe that what is discouraged is the image that the western mind might tend to attach to the picture as soon as "pot" is mentioned. The tendancy would be there to infuse it with scenes of high school parties and people getting stoned and give those who tend toward escapism the justificaiton in doing so.

The reality is not for us to guess at. I have the utmost respect fo the monks' choices and I'm sure they only do what furthers their connection with God, that it in no way serves in any other capacity. As I said, the infusion may be so minor that there is little more than the effect of any herbal tea. I drink lobelia tea, which in large quantities is lethal... so I don't drink it in large quantities. I would never use pot unless under the strict guidance of someone who knew how to properly make bhang and only in the most spiritual of circumstances... which is to say, it's unlikely I will ever ingest cannibis, nor does my teacher recommend/discourage it. We follow our dharma in everything.

Peace

Vannakkam: Yes, I know. And I think its a generalisation outward from that.
But to each his own, really. Not many teachers that I know of recommend it. Most discourage it.

Aum Namasivaya

Rudy
14 April 2012, 01:22 PM
I'll be avoiding the pot "incense" :p .

Arjuni
14 April 2012, 02:08 PM
Namasté,

This is a nice thread. Incense is a very special offering, and while the Devas will accept it with grace regardless, it can be wonderful to choose a particular fragrance and offer it with intentions of delight.

I offer what I know of it.

EM, nag champa is a variety of incense made by many different companies, based upon the gorgeous spiritual fragrance of the champaka flower. A true nag champa will contain a slightly damp resin called halmaddi, taken from the rainforest tree ailanthus; because this ingredient has become more expensive, many big-brand retailers (the well-recognised "blue box" Shrinivas incense, for example) have stopped using it. (If you enjoy the nag champa fragrance and want to try it in the original format, I can recommend Happy Hari brand Nag Champa Gold.)

Regarding the original question, I choose incense by carefully considering the attributes of the Deva as I see him/her. Gaṇeśa's charm to me, for instance, is in being playful and mischievous, eating massive amounts of sweets, surprising everyone. So the sticks I chose for him were based either upon his love of sweets (honey, vanilla, cinnamon) or upon his youthful character (citrus, bergamot, other 'bright' scents). Someone who sees him as a studious writer with tusk in hand, or as a fierce protector, though, might choose more mentally-oriented (sage, lavender) or more earthy/physical (vetiver, patchouli, spice) scents to represent him. The same may be done for Śiva (for whom I burn Nitiraj original blend, in all of its spicy, meditative complexity), and any other Deva. Consider also the Deva's abode or places associated with them - maybe evergreen and fresh mountain scents for Śiva? - and if s/he has any special offerings or associated plants/flowers, as there are incenses which incorporate special blooms (like jasmine, parijāta, rose, etc.,) and may remind you a favourite story as they burn. Finally, there are also companies that are indirectly connected to the Deva(s); Shanthimalai incense, for example, is made by village women at the foot of Arunachala. Supporting incense-makers who gather their materials and make incense at holy sites, like Arunachala or Vrindavan, it would seem almost a double offering to the divine.

Indian incense tends to heaviness; if you are working with a small space or have sensitivities to smoke and fragrance, lighter choices (Japanese joss sticks are good for this) may be best. Stick incense is easiest to use in worship, but incense also comes in cones, loose resins/powders that are sprinkled onto lit charcoal tablets, braids or bundles of grass/herbs that are lit directly, and bakhoors (wood-chip-based) that are burned on traditional burners.

Good, inexpensive incense is readily available in fair trade shops, Whole Foods Market, and New Age stores. Look for varieties made with essential oils (Maroma or Kalki are good brands from Whole Foods), instead of choking yourself with chemical fragrances. (Yes, it is for the Devas, but what you burn will affect your throat and lungs too.)

If finding incense in your area is a problem, I can recommend this retailer (http://www.essenceoftheages.com/) from personal experience; even if you don't wish to buy from them, but would like to learn more about scent and incense, the Olfactory Rescue Service blog linked on their website is an excellent source. Of course, it is not easy to choose good incense when you can't smell the packet in person - but experiencing the fragrance first isn't always a guarantee, either. I brought some lovely varieties home from Auroville, only to discover, upon burning, a bitter, biting undertone to them that was intolerable.

I apologise if this is too long or far more than you wanted to know, but my hope is to help rather than overwhelm. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
14 April 2012, 06:47 PM
Vannakkam Indraneela: You have such a wealth of information! Useful information. Gratitude! :) I do buy large boxes of the marketed Sai variety of Nag champa. What's interesting is the price difference between the Indian stores and some of the western upscale places like at your "The Forks" place. Probably half price at the Indian store I go to.

I've also found that $ stores can be decent places, often 10 sticks for a dollar.

You can also get really very mellow stuff the Buddhists use in some Chinese import stores if there is a Chinatown around.

I know I used to get a brown sandalwood variety I liked. I find any of the black really perfumey stuff makes me sneeze. That's always 'nice' for meditation ... sneezing kind of brings you out rather quickly.

Aum Namasivaya

Amala
14 April 2012, 09:07 PM
Vannakkam Indraneela: You have such a wealth of information! Useful information. Gratitude! :) I have also found that $ stores can be decent places, often 10 sticks for a dollar.

I know I used to get a brown sandalwood variety I liked. I find any of the black really perfumey stuff makes me sneeze.

Namaste EM, I've never heard of brown sandalwood. I'll have to check that out. I find that the $ store stuff is a little 'light' for my taste. I like the heavier, rich stuff, like the Sri Sai Flora I mentioned. I rarely see that in stores, though, so I order it online.

Namasté,

... offer it with intentions of delight.

I offer what I know of it.

Consider also the Deva's abode or places associated with them - maybe evergreen and fresh mountain scents for Śiva? Finally, there are also companies that are indirectly connected to the Deva(s); Shanthimalai incense, for example, is made by village women at the foot of Arunachala. Supporting incense-makers who gather their materials and make incense at holy sites, like Arunachala or Vrindavan, it would seem almost a double offering to the divine.

I apologise if this is too long or far more than you wanted to know, but my hope is to help rather than overwhelm. :)

Far from overwhelming, Indraneela - This is great information! I will use it for research and be ready to make an informed decision next time I shop for incense. It's interesting from a general aroma-therapy standpoint as well. GREAT suggestion for Shiva's abode!! Namaste

I'll be avoiding the pot "incense" :p .

Wise man, Rudy! lol Namaste :-)

Eastern Mind
14 April 2012, 09:22 PM
Shanthimalai incense, for example, is made by village women at the foot of Arunachala. Supporting incense-makers who gather their materials and make incense at holy sites, like Arunachala.

Vannakkam: This I will remember. I was there but didn't make it for karma reasons, so Arunachaleshwara is #1 on next time's must do list. I'll try to find the cottage industry itself, and support it. Can't think of a better place. :) The vibhuthi from Palani is exceptional.

Would be nice to get there before the knees go, so I can walk the 8k around it, and climb at least part way up to get that amazing view of the temple so common.

http://www.hindudevotionalblog.com/2010/10/tiruvannamalai-arunachaleswarar-temple.html
Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
15 April 2012, 03:45 AM
Namasté,

You're welcome, to all who commented about the information. One of my Stupid Human Talents is being a 'nose,' able to identify bouquets and such, which would be lovely if it were a marketable skill. :p

Amala, you and I share a taste for the heavier, rich incenses, it seems! If you want any recommendations along those lines, I'll be glad to share.

And speaking of recommendations, it later occurred to me that if any Śiva-worshippers are intrigued by the cannabis discussion but unwilling (or unable, for legal reasons) to burn it, a similar option might be Mermade's "Dream Snake" incense: wormwood, datura blossoms and leaves, bay laurel, copal, frankincense, and ylang-ylang. The datura is particularly apt.

EM, there are two incense shops at the Forks. The cart has most of the common Indian incenses, and you're right, can usually be gotten cheaper elsewhere. But the shop Global Connections carries the Maroma line, which is the same price across the board and can only be gotten there. I ordered the stuff online for two years before discovering that it was available locally.

I was there but didn't make it for karma reasons...

You too? On the morning for which I'd arranged the journey out to Arunachala - car hired, everything ready to go - I came down with a rotten 24-hour bug. My friend went there alone, later reporting that the 8 km around was difficult only because of the heat, and not feeling so great that day either. But there were temples and shrines all along the way, plenty of places to take shade and rest, and many folks making the trek too.

Maybe it's just as well that I didn't get to go. There is a legend of the area: that one who completes a forty-day penance there, without food, will see Indra...

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Amala
15 April 2012, 07:25 AM
Namasté,

You're welcome, to all who commented about the information. One of my Stupid Human Talents is being a 'nose,' able to identify bouquets and such, which would be lovely if it were a marketable skill. :p

Namaste Indraneela, Would that my many SHTs were marketable! May it soon be so for us all... :-) (And this doesn't seem stupid at all... very very helpful!)

If you want any recommendations along those lines, I'll be glad to share.

Yes! Please!

And speaking of recommendations, it later occurred to me that if any Śiva-worshippers are intrigued by the cannabis discussion but unwilling (or unable, for legal reasons) to burn it, a similar option might be Mermade's "Dream Snake" incense: wormwood, datura blossoms and leaves, bay laurel, copal, frankincense, and ylang-ylang. The datura is particularly apt.

This would be great. I love the smell of pot, but prefer to be on this side of jail bars... and don't particularly like the effect. Can you suggest a place to get it? Is it at the same link you shared earlier?

Thanks oodles!

Arjuni
15 April 2012, 02:09 PM
Namasté,

It looks like I'll have to retract my words for Dream Snake. The good ladies at Mermade apparently make incenses only in small batches, and this one has sold out.

There is another datura-containing incense offered online, here (http://boneflowerbotanika.com/products-page/raw-incense/daturas-dragons-blood-raw-incense/), a datura and dragon's blood resin blend - which, as a "kyphi" style, sounds deliciously spicy. I've not tried it myself, though.

Besides the Happy Hari brand Nag Champa Gold, and the Nitiraj brand Original Blend that I recommended earlier, here are a few more recommendations, as requested. They are listed roughly from low to high in price. (And please let me know if I need to move this to a new thread, as I realise it's rather off-track from the original query!)

*Nandi brand Divine Flora: If you like the "floral" part of Sai Flora, give this one a try. It's mysterious and sweet in tone, lovely and surprisingly inexpensive.

*Prasad "Celestial" incenses (link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Prasad-Incense-_c_704.html)): I don't know whether Whole Foods still carries these. They're all sweet and appealing; I used to burn them a lot in pagan rituals. The Sandalwood and Frankincense particularly stand out.

*Auromere's Ayurvedic line (hard to find unless you know what you're looking for; here's a link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Auromere-_c_699.html)): All of the sticks in this line are great for meditation: thick, pungent, herbal, yet somehow not intrusive. Try the Resin (Concentration) for spiciness.

*Maroma Encens d'Auroville: This line is usually presented on a small spinning display at Whole Foods. Cinnamon and Orange Cinnamon blends are both lovely, good choices for spice if you don't want to choke the whole house. (And fans of tree, water, flower, and earth smells would do well to try Rain Forest, Oceans, Lotus, and Fern & Moss, respectively.)

*Shroff Channabasappa brand Jungle Prince (available on that Essence of the Ages site I linked to earlier): This one is impossible to describe. It's unique, primal, and so perfectly blended that the notes are hard to pick out. One of my three favourite incenses.

*Tibetan nag champa (link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Tibetan-Nag-Champa-Incense_p_272.html) here, as there are several incenses by this name, so it's hard to find the right one without first seeing the package): A pretty sweet-spicy blend made with a touch of honey. You'll need a standing burner with a wider hole, for this one, because the whole stick is incense, one width (rather than the incense bit and the thinner stick bit that you can poke into a sideways burner, if that makes sense?).

*Fred Soll "Resin on a Stick": What an apt name for these - handrolled incense so thick with resins that the packages are gummy. Expensive, but absolutely worth it, as the sticks are longer and thicker than other incenses, and they burn quite a bit longer thanks to the magnificent ingredients. If you want to test them first, shop at Fred's own site (https://www.fredsoll.com/basket/incensesticks.htm), where sample sticks are available of each blend. I cannot recommend the Honey Amber highly enough, and I see also that there are Spicy Cinnamon and Santa Fé Spice blends. (There is also a "Happy Hemp" blend for the Śiva-offering, haha.)

As always, offered in hopes of aid. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Amala
18 April 2012, 01:58 PM
Namaste Indraneela,

What I like about the Sri Sai Flora is that the sweetness has a heavy, resin-y undertone. Is that what datura supplies, do you think?

I'm not a big fan of the "usual" nag champa - Sai Baba? - there's not enough depth in the aroma, I suppose. I've never tried the gold variety. Is that spicier?

Prasad, if memory serves (big 'if'), is a little light for me. I think they sell it a Better Health.

I'm ordering some samples from Fred Soll. :-) ..ṣtill making up my mind, though... There's a lot of frankincense and I love that plus myrrh, but seems to me myrrh has a kinda of rubbery smell...? I'll edit this post and let you know what I got. If you're interested, I'll give you my feedback when they arrive. Of course I ordered the hemp!!

Namasté,

It looks like I'll have to retract my words for Dream Snake. The good ladies at Mermade apparently make incenses only in small batches, and this one has sold out.

There is another datura-containing incense offered online, here (http://boneflowerbotanika.com/products-page/raw-incense/daturas-dragons-blood-raw-incense/), a datura and dragon's blood resin blend - which, as a "kyphi" style, sounds deliciously spicy. I've not tried it myself, though.

Besides the Happy Hari brand Nag Champa Gold, and the Nitiraj brand Original Blend that I recommended earlier, here are a few more recommendations, as requested. They are listed roughly from low to high in price. (And please let me know if I need to move this to a new thread, as I realise it's rather off-track from the original query!)

*Nandi brand Divine Flora: If you like the "floral" part of Sai Flora, give this one a try. It's mysterious and sweet in tone, lovely and surprisingly inexpensive.

*Prasad "Celestial" incenses (link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Prasad-Incense-_c_704.html)): I don't know whether Whole Foods still carries these. They're all sweet and appealing; I used to burn them a lot in pagan rituals. The Sandalwood and Frankincense particularly stand out.

*Auromere's Ayurvedic line (hard to find unless you know what you're looking for; here's a link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Auromere-_c_699.html)): All of the sticks in this line are great for meditation: thick, pungent, herbal, yet somehow not intrusive. Try the Resin (Concentration) for spiciness.

*Maroma Encens d'Auroville: This line is usually presented on a small spinning display at Whole Foods. Cinnamon and Orange Cinnamon blends are both lovely, good choices for spice if you don't want to choke the whole house. (And fans of tree, water, flower, and earth smells would do well to try Rain Forest, Oceans, Lotus, and Fern & Moss, respectively.)

*Shroff Channabasappa brand Jungle Prince (available on that Essence of the Ages site I linked to earlier): This one is impossible to describe. It's unique, primal, and so perfectly blended that the notes are hard to pick out. One of my three favourite incenses.

*Tibetan nag champa (link (http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Tibetan-Nag-Champa-Incense_p_272.html) here, as there are several incenses by this name, so it's hard to find the right one without first seeing the package): A pretty sweet-spicy blend made with a touch of honey. You'll need a standing burner with a wider hole, for this one, because the whole stick is incense, one width (rather than the incense bit and the thinner stick bit that you can poke into a sideways burner, if that makes sense?).

*Fred Soll "Resin on a Stick": What an apt name for these - handrolled incense so thick with resins that the packages are gummy. Expensive, but absolutely worth it, as the sticks are longer and thicker than other incenses, and they burn quite a bit longer thanks to the magnificent ingredients. If you want to test them first, shop at Fred's own site (https://www.fredsoll.com/basket/incensesticks.htm), where sample sticks are available of each blend. I cannot recommend the Honey Amber highly enough, and I see also that there are Spicy Cinnamon and Santa Fé Spice blends. (There is also a "Happy Hemp" blend for the Śiva-offering, haha.)

As always, offered in hopes of aid. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Arjuni
21 April 2012, 12:23 PM
Namasté,

The only datura species I have smelled myself is the flower known as Angel's Trumpet. It smells heavy and deathly. I don't know if I would use the word "resinous" to describe it, but the fragrance is somehow ominous.

The gold variety is indeed spicier, and I've never been a fan of the blue-box nag champa either!

Prasad I usually recommend as a "crowd pleaser"; it's a good choice if you live with other people because it has a nice, inoffensive sweetness (hence its use in public ritual).

Myrrh's scent has a slight rubbery edge if you're burning the straight resin, yes, but a well-made incense blend doesn't have that quality. I usually don't like frankincense or myrrh, but Fred's are nice, particularly his F&M Ancient Blend. His best of the best, in my opinion, are the Piñon Pine (TREES YAY), Honey Amber, and Ceremonial Rain. But I've never tried a bad one, and I've gone through about half of his line so far.

I would love your reviews, once they arrive! Perhaps a separate "incense thoughts" thread would be useful, in the Canteen?

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

surrenderindailylife
21 April 2012, 08:34 PM
Hello all

What incense(s) is burned during home puja for Lord Shiva?

Namaste Rudy

I personally don't burn any incense (I used to some years back - stopped). I personally don't follow any religious procedures. The only thing I do is pray to God sincerely. To my mind, this is the only prerequisite for puja.

Om Namah Shivay

Amala
23 April 2012, 08:33 AM
Done! http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=82376#post82376 :-)

Perhaps a separate "incense thoughts" thread would be useful, in the Canteen?

Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Necromancer
24 January 2013, 03:01 AM
Vannakkam Rudy: Personally, I can't tell what the Gods might like, so I use what I like. The current trend around this house is one called Nag Champa. Not sure if its a brand name, or a variety.

Happy smelling.

Aum Namasivaya
Namaste. When I was going through my; 'I wonder what offerings my Lord Shiva would like today?' stage, half the time, I could never decide and this delayed the puja while others grew impatient waiting for me to make the malas, prepare prashad, get the agarbhatti ready...

Eventually, my husband asked me 'what's the delay?' and I told him the reason.

He told me; "Lord Shiva likes exactly what you like so hurry up please".

Satya Sai Baba makes the best Nag Champa incense...rich, thick and oily. Unfortunately, this also causes it to go out half way down (which kinda annoys me).

Patchouli Forest is also very nice incense by Satya. Patchouli is very good smell for meditation...but...

To put me in an 'instant meditation trance', one just has to light a stick of incense from Shri Aurobindo Ashram entitled: "Krishna Musk". It just does it every time *must get more.

The other one I really like is Hem's Dragon's Blood Incense Cones.

I figure, that Lord Shiva can enjoy this...carry my prayers to heaven and make my home smell nice at the same time? win/win.

Aum Namah Shivaya