PDA

View Full Version : Family struggle

heather.s
12 April 2012, 07:32 PM
As I've mentioned before, I converted from being Catholic.

I kept this from most of my family as they are staunch Catholics and I knew it would just cause issues. Well, thanks to technology (and my forgetfulness) they saw a post on my facebook about being Hindu and the whole thing exploded.

I just got off the phone with my dad who let me know that he wasn't very happy about it either and the he was praying for me to "find the right path back to God.". This is a phrase that infuriates me like no other. Who is ANYONE to tell someone else what is right or wrong? That is between God and that other person. I don't need someone policing me telling me what I should or shouldn't believe.

My dad said "i've been praying for you to find happiness" and i said "and what if this is how God answered you? I know it's not what you wanted...but we don't always get what we want in exactly the way we ask for it."

I know it's a big change, but I've been Hindu for about a year now and they didn't know. I wasn't a different person. I didn't love them any less, in fact now I love them more. But for some reason now that there's a label on it, it's a HUGE deal.

My uncle mocked me by calling me asking if had any dietary restrictions. (yes he informed me word for word that he was, in fact, mocking me).

I hate that they treat it like some boy band I liked when I was 13 and I'll just get over it when the next trend comes by.

I don't know what to do to make them just be open to it. I don't need them to understand it. I just want them to respect it.

I was miserable for 16 years and now I'm happy and I feel better about everything. Is that enough?

Maya3
12 April 2012, 08:48 PM
I'm so sorry.

This must be really hard.

I have not been in this situation so I'm not sure how to advice you. But be confident in your beliefs, they may have a lot of misconceptions about Hinduism. Maybe you could google similarities between Jesus and Hinduism and when things have calmed down maybe point some of those things out?

Maya

Jainarayan
12 April 2012, 08:56 PM
Namaste heather.

This may be harsh (I can be a cold hard b*st*rd when it comes to family), so forgive me if I'm superimposing my feelings on you. But...

I don't know what to do to make them just be open to it. I don't need them to understand it. I just want them to respect it.

1. Nothing; it's their right to be ignorant about it (everyone has the right to be ignorant, but some people abuse that right :dunno: ).
2. No, you don't need them to.
3. They won't. Believe me.

now I'm happy and I feel better about everything. Is that enough?

Yes, for you and no one else.

Family are often people you just share DNA with. Family can be people who were total strangers before you met them. Someone told me that if you have to work at maintaining a relationship with people who are supposed to be "family", then there is no relationship to begin with.

I think it's a simple matter of saying "I am who I am, accept me as I am for who I am; there's no discussion about it, because if you can't, the problem is not mine" and leave it at that.

You see, family members are like sharks smelling blood in the water, or an animal that smells fear. They will prey on you if you let them. Don't take their bait. I know, easier said than done; it takes practice.

My suggestions are not the only ones or the best ones, necessarily, but it's how I see it, having my own over-opinionated, closed-minded, bigoted and racist family to deal with. ;)

heather.s
12 April 2012, 11:53 PM
I couldn't focus on work so I meditated about this. Basically I came to the conclusion that I'd just say "this is me. I'm happy. So let it be" and that's that.

My family aren't bad people. The older members are just very set in their ways and traditional. The younger members accepted it right off.

Well see what happens. :dunno:

Aum namah Śivāya
13 April 2012, 01:53 AM

I kept this from most of my family as they are staunch Catholics and I knew it would just cause issues. Well, thanks to technology (and my forgetfulness) they saw a post on my facebook about being Hindu and the whole thing exploded.

I just got off the phone with my dad who let me know that he wasn't very happy about it either and the he was praying for me to "find the right path back to God.". This is a phrase that infuriates me like no other. Who is ANYONE to tell someone else what is right or wrong? That is between God and that other person. I don't need someone policing me telling me what I should or shouldn't believe.

My dad said "i've been praying for you to find happiness" and i said "and what if this is how God answered you? I know it's not what you wanted...but we don't always get what we want in exactly the way we ask for it."

I know it's a big change, but I've been Hindu for about a year now and they didn't know. I wasn't a different person. I didn't love them any less, in fact now I love them more. But for some reason now that there's a label on it, it's a HUGE deal.

My uncle mocked me by calling me asking if had any dietary restrictions. (yes he informed me word for word that he was, in fact, mocking me).

I hate that they treat it like some boy band I liked when I was 13 and I'll just get over it when the next trend comes by.

I was miserable for 16 years and now I'm happy and I feel better about everything. Is that enough?

नमस्ते Heather,

Oh, how I feel for you. My wife might be going through something just like this. She, also, has a strict Catholic family. They are very disapproving of me in general, especially because of my spiritual path, but now she's converted. Not to mention that we plan on moving to her home town, so we may be near her family.

What struck me is your statement, "I don't know what to do to make them just be open to it." And my answer is, you can't. Why are you trying to control them? Let God handle them, and let yourself continue on your path unfazed.

Also, recognize that this is an ego thing. Ego wants to control and change those outside of your control and ability to change. Realize that they are asking the same question, "How can we make her understand that Catholicism is the best?" and are upset that they cannot control you into taking the path they want you to take. When you drop the need to control, then you will not care if they are open or not. Just be who you are, regardless.

You will be in my prayers.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Eastern Mind
13 April 2012, 07:57 AM
Vannakkam Heather: Several people have made good points already. There are a lot of factors going on. As TBTL alluded to, they should feel hurt. How could a good Catholic sit back and see someone go off into apostacy or worse without feeling hurt? Be grateful it isn't 400 years ago or you'd be burning at the stake.

The older more mature souls in the group will be more accepting. As you said yourself, the ones who are more set in their ways will find it harder.

But within the framework of Sanatana Dharma, once you discover it, and know it holds truth for you, there is no turning back. You have to do what you have to do, despite all odds. Not necessarily fun on the external level, but still you feel you have to do it. I'm guessing over time they will more or less 'forget' about it. It will help not to discuss religion much, if at all. Really, that's like politics. You're not likely to change someone. But you can change yourself to accept them for who they are. At least one side (yours) will have an accurate perception of the whole idea.

You're not alone. People in America are leaving the churches in droves. Some to atheism, some to agnosticism, some to non-culture, and then there are the ones like you and many others here on these boards including me who actually have enough good karma accrued to encounter an eastern way.

Best wishes on keeping in as harmonious as possible, given the karmic constraints.

Aum Namasivaya

PARAM
13 April 2012, 11:55 AM
Respected Heather, you didn't mentioned if you are married or not.

You need to get married and settle down just like all other women do, you will get a perfect Hindu match for yourslef.

As for those who are mocking you and saying they are praying for you, there you already know that Helping hands are better than praying lips.

You are in Hinduism, the true faith or your own forefathers. You are following the path where Karma, Trinity and everything originated.

heather.s
13 April 2012, 12:02 PM
I don't "need" to get married. Lol

Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. Who knows.

Thank you for the prayers. I'll see then tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.

charitra
13 April 2012, 02:41 PM
The bond between parent and child is unique, all these debates and heated arguments will over a period of time pave way for a new and somewhat more mature relationship. Parents think it is (embracing Hinduism) more like a fashion statement or a fad or something on those lines and so they want to admonish and try it out that way. All this acrimony is a passing phase, nothing more. Good luck with the evening meeting. I would rather be a good listener and keep absolutely quiet. At the end I would say, ‘you make sense dad/mom, let me think over it, give me sometime’. And never discuss religion and hurt them again. They believe in what they grew up in, why not be respectful and withdraw from an impasse.

A hindu mindset is what I call assertion of individual freedom from any unnecessary bondage that other religions impose on their adherents. Hindus are the most diverse lot I can think of, they are not afraid of religion awarded punishment whatsoever but instead are more cognizant of their own accrued and accruing karma. This control transforms them into more sathvic and less tamasic in nature, thats my take on this. Namaste.

dustyroad
13 April 2012, 10:13 PM
Respected Heather, you didn't mentioned if you are married or not.

You need to get married and settle down just like all other women do, you will get a perfect Hindu match for yourslef.

As for those who are mocking you and saying they are praying for you, there you already know that Helping hands are better than praying lips.

You are in Hinduism, the true faith or your own forefathers. You are following the path where Karma, Trinity and everything originated.

What nonsensical advice is this - a person should marry and settle (when the subject matter is something else)?

PARAM
14 April 2012, 11:17 AM
What nonsensical advice is this - a person should marry and settle (when the subject matter is something else)?

Every one have to, not nonsense
Only a true Brahamchari / Brahamcharini don't need.

Subject matter is family, a girl marries and go with her Husband's family. Every girl get new family after marriage, this is the point.

Caltha
14 April 2012, 11:51 AM
Namaste Heather,

I feel for you. I'm thinking that you are high school/college age, am I right?

If you are, then please realize that your parents perceive time differently than you do. So for you, being 13 and liking boy bands happened in a different epoch, one that is long past and maybe even a little embarrassing to you now. To your parents, you were 13 about a month ago!

Also, if you are high school/college age, then you are finding your way in the adult world, and that scares your parents, too. It would scare them even if you continued being Catholic. They would worry about your major (can you earn a good living with it?) your boyfriend (is he good enough for you?) and who knows what all else.

And if they found out through Facebook that you had taken a major decision without discussing it with them, that would really scare them, too! Just think that if they found out through Facebook that you had secretly gotten married to someone you had just met and you hadn't even told them!

Since Catholicism is so intolerant of other faiths/paths you can see how they would be frightened for you. And since they know how to push your buttons, they are pushing them with all their might!

And I'll bet that they know very little of Hinduism. I'll also bet that since they were little, they've been taught to denigrate and fear every religion but Catholicism.

So enough about them. These are your parents, so I think that you will have to work out a way to respect them without doing violence to yourself. If I understand your age correctly, and if you live in the West, you are reaching the time when you are making your own way in the world, and the world is changing fast, so there are all kinds of things to confront and work out out.

I am very new on the path of Sanatana Dharma, so I don't have as much to say as some. If you have a temple you can go to I hope that you can find wise people there who can help you understand and figure out what to do. I personally take solace in the thought that each of us has the Divine within, even if we don't yet know it, and we are all heading to a state when the clouds of ignorance and illusion that hold us apart are gone. For me personally, Hatha yoga gives me a good path, and asana and pranayama and doing my best to follow the yamas and niyamas help me a lot. (Meditation is coming along much more slowly for me.) I don't have a guru, but three different yoga teachers have had the class chant the mantra Om Gam Ganapatiye Namaha and this mantra resonates strongly with me. I particularly chant it, and in my mind I think of Lord Ganesha, when some frightening change or event is coming, or when I recognize a reaction in myself that I don't like and I want to change. This may or may not be useful for you...

with warm wishes,

Caltha

hesh86
15 April 2012, 08:22 AM
Namaste,
Very sad indeed. I would like to offer a different perspective, and perhaps most people here will strongly disagree with me.

To follow Dharma, one need not be a Hindu. The problem is giving ourselves some labels - a group identity. If it upsets your parents, I don't think that you should provoke them any further. If I understood this correctly, you are still a teenager - if so then you are still recommended to honor them. Matr devo bhava pitr devo bhava. By honoring your parents, I think you will automatically be on a Dharmic path. From my own experience, I see that Catholicism also goes into the search for the transcendent just as Hinduism does.

You might be Hindu at the philosophical level, and yet follow Catholic customs. Where is the problem in that? I think you can still stick to your philosophy. If you don't want to eat meat, consume alcohol for pleasure etc. that is your personal choice - what does Catholicism have to do with this? Similarly one may believe in a panentheistic view of God and yet worship a personal God - again, what is the issue here if you keep your views personal? It boils down to culture and group identity, really. Then again, I don't know to what extent you are practicing sagunopasana, consuming prasad etc. These will definitely be frowned upon. I personally think that you should not do these things.

Jesus was an avatar in my humble opinion. To follow in his way is very difficult. Catholicism and Christianity always seem to fall back on a few verses here and there in the Bible to claim monopoly on God and I feel that the entire faith is built around these few verses, while ignoring a multitude of complex ideologies in the New Testament. For me, it would be refreshing to see Catholics and Christians practice tolerance, serenity and purity of thought, action etc. which were advised by Jesus. Instead, here in America at least, the Xians and Catholics are intolerant of other faiths, can be hot-headed, engage in sense gratification and preach to their flocks instead of guiding them. This greatly treats people like sheep and I am shocked at how people here are either complete rebels or can not even think for themselves. Polar opposites!

Finally, I am not telling you to not stand up for what you believe in. I think that if you are still not married and are not a fully grown adult yet then no need to diverge from the faith you were born into. If you are a fully grown adult (over 21) then it is a different issue. You are not obliged to be called a sheep anymore.

heather.s
29 April 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm 26 and unmarried. I'm not going to follow a faith that caused me so much personal strife.

I understand that maybe where you come from being married and over 21 is a sign of adulthood, but in my world the fact that I've been self sufficient since I was 16 is the mark of being an adult, husband or not.

I'm not sure what led you to think I was still a teenager, but that's definitely not true.

What happened: Basically the only person who wouldn't even hear my side of the story was my uncle, but my aunt basically told him to snuff it and that it was my life and my choice.

So everyone is settled about it for the moment. I'm not going to keep going through the motions of being Catholic if it's not what I believe.

I'm also not going to just follow whatever my future husband follows because he's my husband.

But like someone said before, that's not the issue, so let's move on from that.

Aum namah Śivāya
29 April 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm 26 and unmarried. I'm not going to follow a faith that caused me so much personal strife.

I understand that maybe where you come from being married and over 21 is a sign of adulthood, but in my world the fact that I've been self sufficient since I was 16 is the mark of being an adult, husband or not.

I'm not sure what led you to think I was still a teenager, but that's definitely not true.

What happened: Basically the only person who wouldn't even hear my side of the story was my uncle, but my aunt basically told him to snuff it and that it was my life and my choice.

So everyone is settled about it for the moment. I'm not going to keep going through the motions of being Catholic if it's not what I believe.

I'm also not going to just follow whatever my future husband follows because he's my husband.

नमस्ते Heather,

I am glad that you had the courage to face your family. I think that when we follow a new path, especially one that is better for us, we are tested initially to make sure we are serious about it.

Eventually, you, and possibly they, will see that it doesn't matter what religion or tradition you follow. If you are following God in the best way you can, burning away your attachments to this world and loving God more and more, that is all that matters.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

OM

hesh86
30 April 2012, 12:42 AM

fair enough. All the more reason for you to turn to Dharma. This is a path that brave and strong-willed people tread on. You will be fine. All the best.

maraji
30 April 2012, 08:29 AM
Pranam

This would or should be very difficult subject for a Hindu to address, unless one is on the path of renouciation to advice anyone to go against ones parents, we have our obligations and duty towards them that just can not be ignored. We follow ethics and morals that Lord Ram laid for us all to emulate.

IcyCosmic
30 April 2012, 12:42 PM
Hey Heather, I hope things are getting better now....
I have a friend who had the same issue, she was muslim and her parents kicked her out of the house for converting...that was a little more extreme...
There is no problem with being Hindu, and going to the church, enjoying yourself, reading the bible, picking up from the morals, like I do sometimes, flick through the bible and such - read some stories...even though I'm hindu.
Though you mentioned that Christianity has given you much pain and strife before so perhaps this isnt the path for you....
If this is a new issue my suggestion would be to let it simmer down, your family love you and hopefully they soon start to understand and accept your decision....
Good luck

Caltha
30 April 2012, 07:40 PM
Namaste Heather,

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your age!

It sounds like your aunt, at least, knows that you have to do what you find best in your own life. And it sounds like your uncle is not acting in a very mature fashion. (Mocking you! That isn't even a very good strategy if he wants to change your mind!:rolleyes:)

Now that they know, they can start getting used to it.

PARAM
01 May 2012, 03:54 AM

Respected Miss Heather,
You are grownup adult and you know that nobody can stop you for living your own life as a US citizen. Your problem is your family matter and choosing a spouse is a difficult option, you have to choose who is same minded like you, this is how a family lives happily when both follow the same principle.

This time your problem is your uncle, but we have to understand that we can't change the mindset of those who do not want to understand. So there is no solution expect to move on and take the life forward.

heather.s
02 May 2012, 04:27 AM
Namaste Heather,

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your age!

It sounds like your aunt, at least, knows that you have to do what you find best in your own life. And it sounds like your uncle is not acting in a very mature fashion. (Mocking you! That isn't even a very good strategy if he wants to change your mind!:rolleyes:)

Now that they know, they can start getting used to it.

My uncle, bless him, is a VERY straight-laced old fashioned person. He was an officer in the Air Force and it just carried over. He grew up in an era of "this is how it is and that's that" so that's kinda the attitude he's had all his life. My aunt has recently started coming around to my "alternative" ways of life. She hated my tattoos at first, but once she saw that they didn't really change me as a person, she was more forgiving.

I feel that since I pointed out that I've been considering myself Hindu for a year before they found out and she couldn't tell a huge difference she was more willing to think it over.

/sigh are we still on the spouse thing?

My future spouse (or lack there of) has NOTHING to do with my personal spiritual journey. Some might think differently, but since I started this journey alone and single, that's how I'll continue with it.

It leaves a bad taste in a Western woman's mouth when she hears someone constantly tell her she "needs a man". I understand in other parts of the world that might not be such an offensive phrase to hear, but to me (who is considered WELL past marrying age at 26 in some circles, which is ridiculous) it is.

Eastern Mind
02 May 2012, 08:20 AM
Vannakkam Heather: Sounds like its going relatively well, all things considered. I'm happy for you. Most likely eventually it will no longer be a point for discussion. Your religion will be as trivial to everyone as the color of your eyes.

Aum namasivaya

Believer
02 May 2012, 11:54 AM
Namaste Heather,

/sigh are we still on the spouse thing?

My future spouse (or lack there of) has NOTHING to do with my personal spiritual journey. Some might think differently, but since I started this journey alone and single, that's how I'll continue with it.

It leaves a bad taste in a Western woman's mouth when she hears someone constantly tell her she "needs a man". I understand in other parts of the world that might not be such an offensive phrase to hear, but to me (who is considered WELL past marrying age at 26 in some circles, which is ridiculous) it is.
I apologize for the this spouse thing coming out of some people with an Indian village mentality. They are totally ignorant about how it is in the West, and the advice, even though well intended, is too far off the mark. I hope you can learn to ignore such advice or alternately use the ignore option so as to block out the responses from people you don't care to hear from. Don't let others ruin your day.

Pranam.

rog
02 May 2012, 07:14 PM

Hi Heather s,

I discovered Hinduism through reading the Bhagavad Gita about a year ago. I have spoken on other posts of my journey.

As my life had progressed, I found several 'Truths'. The problem was that they were not compatible truths, but my path of reasoning was solid in each case.
Science and academic studies such as biology, history, geography and maths, presented certain questions in themselves - and thats not mentioning I tried so hard to have 'faith' in christianity.

I don't care if/that there WAS a 'Big Bang' I wanted to know WHY? and where it is all leading.

This drove me to 'abandon' some 'Truths' and put others to the back of my mind but the path of unresolved truths is the path to frustration then anger, desolation and then madness (in my POV);)

Why I post on your thread is that the angry reaction of certain family members may well be more to do with their own frustrations and percieved paradoxes. In my experience, for some christians there is NO clash in their minds with other religions. They are right - end of story.

- BUT they will often try to resolve their faith with for example, mainstream science or their own fears and anxieties. But all dogmas can foster this attitude not just religion. We have all experienced the ultimate cop-out of the committed atheist who says he 'knows' there is no god, but deep down or not so deep in the psyche these contradictions will eat away at the mind.

The paradox of SD is that fundamental to the philosophy there is a reluctance to 'evangelise'. This is beyond the mentality of the 'christian' who has not seen beyond. If an explanation is offered by a Hindu of how SD can embrace them, for some the reaction can be little short of explosive.

I hope you find comfort that it is not your problem but in a loving not dismissive attitude of heart.

Trust God and act in a way to unsettle no-one, disregard any non-violent action and do not speak from ego.

Remember that if you anticipate tension and you can't avoid contact without causing discord to another (ie by not attending an important family function) then settle yourself completely in this knowledge before you meet. (and anyway you'll have a much better time:) )

Act in Love for all at all times and rest free in any consequences.

I don't imagine for a second that you didn't know this already but if you are like me it is strengthening to be encouraged.:)

Rog.

yajvan
03 May 2012, 06:55 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

You come in this world alone, and you leave alone... all that happens in-between is what we call life. It then seems to make this life as rich and rewarding as possible.

We must let go of the life we had planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us - Joseph Campbell.

praṇām

sunyata07
04 May 2012, 02:53 PM
Namaste Heather,

I really wish things could be easier for you in trying to introducing your new spirituality and beliefs to your family without all the ignorance and small-mindedness some of your Catholic relatives are displaying. It can be so discouraging to have your own family look on your beliefs with disapproval at best and distaste and outright scorn at worst, but you sound like you are really single-minded about following and learning more about Sanatana Dharma and I believe God will help you with this. While I don't think any of us are born into our families by accident, I do think that there is a point when one must ask oneself if stubborn family tradition and dogmatic, rigidly held views about religion are more important than what you feel is right in your own heart. I'm wondering if you had proclaimed yourself atheist instead of converting to Hinduism, would your family have taken the news any less negatively? It wouldn't surprise me if the answer was yes.

In a twisted sense, your relatives are actually looking out for your best intentions (in their POV, of course). The live in the reality that if you don't believe in God and Jesus alone and renounce all other faiths, you are doomed like any other pagan and non-Christian to burn in hell for eternity after you leave this world. Well, no wonder so many of them are uptight about it. Imagine the thought of an eternity being punished in hell. It doesn't bear thinking about for them, especially not for family! With this in mind, maybe you can see why they are so small-minded. Their doctrine is one of fear and negotiating their way out of damnation, for themselves and everyone else around them.

Please don't let this get you down. I know that can be easier said than done, but as EM says it could be a case of just needing more time to adjust to your beliefs. Much of fear (and its derivative form anger) is rooted in the unknown. Perhaps exposure to Hindu ways and beliefs will strip them of that ignornace and give them a chance to see that your spiritual life will all the more richer because you're giving yourself the chance to explore God and find Him for yourself.

Om namah Shivaya

Maya3
06 May 2012, 09:01 AM
Heather,

I understand how you feel about the "you need a man" philosophy.

I'm a feminist, still Hindu I see no conflict :)

Maya