PDA

View Full Version : Survey

hesh86
13 April 2012, 03:32 PM
Out of curiosity, I wanted to do a sociological experiment. Please answer the following questions. It should take at most 15 minutes. I will post this in other threads, so I apologize in advance for the repetition. You need only take the survey once.

Please answer Yes/No to the questions 1-7
1. Do you believe in a supernatural force?
2. Do you pray to God/gods?
3. Do you meditate?
4. Do you believe in Astrology and Vaastu?
5. Do you believe that performing rituals will offer benefits?
6. Do you believe in the afterlife, souls and the need to propitiate the soul after the body dies?
7. Do you believe in karma?
For questions 8-10 choose ONE option.
8. Which philosophy/sampradaya do you follow?
a. Advaita/Smarta
b. Vaishnava (any sub-sect)
c. Shaivite (any sub-sect)
d. Tantra
e. Shakta
f. Ganapatya
g. Other not mentioned
h. Atheist but identify as Hindu
i. Atheist and don’t identify as Hindu
j. Not sure/won’t say
k. I am not a Hindu
9. Which varna, if applicable, is your FAMILY associated with?
a. Brahmin
b. Kshatriya
c. Vaishya
d. Harijan
e. Not a Hindu
f. Rather not say
g. I was not born in a Hindu family/not sure
h. Admixture of varnas
10. Which of the following Hindu scriptures do you think are most authoritative/should be followed by all Hindus?
a. Vedas (excluding Upanishads)
b. Vedas and Upanishads
c. Upanishads are Vedanta and so take preference over every other scripture
d. Itihasas
e. Puranas
f. Bhagavad Gita
g. Other
h. I do not think any Hindu scripture is authoritative
Please answer Yes/No to the questions 11-22
11. Do you believe that reserving seats in government jobs and academic institutions are crucial in order to uplift the Harijan society?
12. Do you believe that there are ways to provide education and jobs to Harijans other than reservations?
13. Do you support the ideology of a Hindu rashtra (the ideology that India should be governed by Hindu laws and not secular or non-Hindu laws)?
14. Do you think that Hindus can live peacefully with other religious groups?
15. Do you think that Hindus should convert to other faiths if they are not satisfied with their own?
16. Do you believe that each and every claim that enters into territory of science as mentioned in the Vedas is factual?
17. Do you believe that the Vedas are the word of God and the best source of knowledge?
18. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon Hinduism altogether?
19. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon belief in that aspect of Hinduism?
20. Do you think that Hinduism needs to be promoted more?

wundermonk
13 April 2012, 09:58 PM
Answers inline.

1. Do you believe in a supernatural force? [Agnostic]
2. Do you pray to God/gods? [Sometimes]
3. Do you meditate? [Not as much as I would like.]
4. Do you believe in Astrology and Vaastu? [No.]
6. Do you believe in the afterlife, souls and the need to propitiate the soul after the body dies? [Agnostic]
7. Do you believe in karma? [Agnostic. The point is, Karma/Reincarnation offer the best possible theodicy. If it were NOT for Karma, God can be accused of being partial to humankind.]
8. Which philosophy/[I]sampradaya do you follow?
l[Added new]Eclectic mix. I love Hindu philosophy. I am still learning the various points of difference between various schools of thought.
9. Which varna were you born into?
f. Rather not say [Caste is a divisive issue...so better not say.]
10. Which of the following Hindu scriptures do you think are most authoritative/should be followed by all Hindus?
h. I do not think any Hindu scripture is authoritative - there is beauty, morals and things to be learned from different Hindu scriptures.
11. Do you believe that reserving seats in government jobs and academic institutions are crucial in order to uplift the Harijan society? [No. I prefer a class-based affirmative action scheme.]
12. Do you believe that there are ways to provide education and jobs to Harijans other than reservations? [Being kind of a libertarian, I would hope the government provides a level playing field to all without having one community fight against another for jobs.]
13. Do you support the ideology of a Hindu rashtra? [I would need to understand the implications of a "Hindu rashtra".]
14. Do you think that Hindus can live peacefully with other religious groups? [Hindus themselves do not constitute one monolithic set of folks with a single religious tradition. Hindus cannot live in peace with Abrahamics. Abrahamics believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. There is no peace possible.]
15. Do you think that Hindus should convert to other faiths if they are not satisfied with their own? [Sure...freedom of religion.]
16. Do you believe that each and every claim that enters into territory of science as mentioned in the Vedas is factual? [Vedas are not scientific treatises.]
17. Do you believe that the Vedas are the word of God and the best source of knowledge? [Clearly the Vedas are not the "best" source of knowledge because I dont find any information on differential equations there. They are meant for a purpose and should be seen in that context alone.]
18. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon Hinduism altogether? [Kind of difficult. Is reinterpretation in light of scientific facts allowed?]
19. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon belief in that aspect of Hinduism? [Same as 18]
20. Do you think that Hinduism needs to be promoted more? [YES!]

hesh86
13 April 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you, wundermonk for your response. I do think that some answers don't fit into a neat Yes or No, but your answer was very informative nonetheless.

Jainarayan
14 April 2012, 08:10 AM
Out of curiosity, I wanted to do a sociological experiment. Please answer the following questions. It should take at most 15 minutes. I will post this in other threads, so I apologize in advance for the repetition. You need only take the survey once.

Aw, what the heck...

Yes, without doubt.

2. Do you pray to God/gods?.
Yes.

3. Do you meditate?
Yes, but not as often as I'd like.

I'm "iffy" about it. I lean towards yes because there are forces that exist that we don't know how they affect us.

Not for God; only for the person if they believe it, e.g. I don't do puja, but I pray and light candles at my altar. It makes me feel good that I am "communing" with God.

6. Do you believe in the afterlife, souls and the need to propitiate the soul after the body dies?
Yes, yes, no.

7. Do you believe in karma?
Yes.

With my own spin and flavor; VishishtAdvaita.

All scriptures have their place and have authorities, which are relative and must be interpreted; there are contradictions in them. For me, the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam take primacy.

I can't answer 11-13, as I do not understand the issue(s).

A resounding yes, because they do, as far as I can see.

15. Do you think that Hindus should convert to other faiths if they are not satisfied with their own?
Not necessarily; Hinduism is so vast that there's little chance one cannot find some way of fulfilling what they are looking for.

16. Do you believe that each and every claim that enters into territory of science as mentioned in the Vedas is factual?
No, because the Vedas are not a scientific treatise or doctoral thesis, but a framework for living in a way to reach God.

17. Do you believe that the Vedas are the word of God and the best source of knowledge?
Not the "word" of God, but the revelations of God that touched the minds and souls of those who were fortunate enough to be chosen to receive them. No one source of knowledge is the best.

18. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon Hinduism altogether?
No. Science changes, even "established" facts. The speed of light is no longer thought to be constant, for example.

19. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon belief in that aspect of Hinduism?
No, what we see in the universe is a game, the play of God. God can change the rules. It's fun for us.

Yes, but not in the way other faiths have forced and do force theirs. I think the gurus I've been recently delving into: Yogananda; Vivekananda; Srila Prabhupada; et al have tried. Though there are orthodox Hindus who believe they "dumbed down" Hinduism to please the west. However, sometimes it takes small steps; slow and easy wins the race.

Jainarayan
14 April 2012, 08:11 AM
...I do think that some answers don't fit into a neat Yes or No...

I felt that way, hence some of my wordier responses.

Eastern Mind
14 April 2012, 08:46 AM
Vanakkam:

1-7. Yes for all.
8. monistic Saiva Siddhantha, Nandinatha sampradaya
9. outcaste
10. Vedas and Agamas
11. no
12. yes
13.no
14. yes
15. no
16 no
17 yes
18 no
19. yes
20. no

hesh86
14 April 2012, 10:08 PM
Namaste!
Thank you TouchdByTheLord and Eastern Mind. Very interesting responses. Shows how diverse people can be in this religion. Awaiting more answers from other people so that people in this community can find out about some really important info regarding beliefs and opinions of Hindus.

Arjuni
15 April 2012, 12:04 AM
Namasté,

Please answer Yes/No to the questions 1-7: Yes to all of them (though I would clarify or explain some of them further, if they were not simple 'yes/no' queries).

For questions 8-10 choose ONE option:
8. Which philosophy/sampradaya do you follow? j. Not sure. (I am not part of the other listed sampradāyas/philosophies, but have not yet discovered if there is a name for what I believe.)
9. Which varna were you born into? Outcaste (Westerner).
10. Which of the following Hindu scriptures do you think are most authoritative/should be followed by all Hindus? My answer for "most authoritative" is b. Vedas and Upanishads, but I cannot judge what other Hindus "should" follow.

Please answer Yes/No to the questions 11-22: For questions 11 through 13, I have not educated myself on the issues involved, and am reluctant to do so, since I am certain that India does not need yet another white foreigner passing judgment on how Hindus ought to live.

14. Do you think that Hindus can live peacefully with other religious groups? Yes. (Understanding and respect of other religious paths is an essential part of Hinduism, so Hindus indeed can live peacefully with other religious groups. Unfortunately, exclusivist religious groups, believing that their path is the only correct way to live, often do not want to live peacefully with Hindus.)

15. Do you think that Hindus should convert to other faiths if they are not satisfied with their own? No.

16. Do you believe that each and every claim that enters into territory of science as mentioned in the Vedas is factual? Yes. (Western science is like a children's storybook by comparison to Veda.)

17. Do you believe that the Vedas are the word of God and the best source of knowledge? Yes.

18. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts, would you abandon Hinduism altogether? No.

19. If Hinduism were to contradict established scientific facts would you abandon belief in that aspect of Hinduism? No.

20. Do you think that Hinduism needs to be promoted more? No. (Truth promotes itself to those who seek it.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

hesh86
15 April 2012, 12:55 AM
Namaste,

Indraneela, thank you for your response.
Just one thing I have noticed is that 2 people have classified themselves as 'outcaste'. This is rather strange. First of all, this is not mentioned as such in any of the options. Secondly, it is used as a derogatory term, if my understanding is correct. I think I should have included an option like non-Indian Hindu instead. Sorry if this has upset anybody.

Hari Om

Arjuni
15 April 2012, 02:03 AM
Namasté,

In my case, I used the word to simply mean someone who is outside of the system/not born in India. I'm not aware of any harmful meaning; outcast is the English word for a rejected one, outcaste is...a constructed word, I thought?

Anyway, no offense personally taken. I am what I am, and when there is Lord, what matter what others think of me? :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Divine Kala
15 April 2012, 03:42 AM
Yes

2. Do you pray to God/gods? Yes

3. Do you meditate?
No

Yes

Yes

Yes & No (I do not believe in propitiating the soul after death of the body)

7. Do you believe in karma? Yes

a. Advaita/Smarta
c. Shaivite (any sub-sect)
d. Tantra
e. Shakta
f. Ganapatya
g. Other not mentioned
h. Atheist but identify as Hindu
i. Atheist and don’t identify as Hindu
j. Not sure/won’t say
k. I am not a Hindu

9. Which varna were you born into?
a. Brahmin
b. Kshatriya
c. Vaishya
d. Harijan
e. Not a Hindu
f. Rather not say
g. Casteless

a. Vedas (excluding Upanishads)
b. Vedas and Upanishads
c. Upanishads are Vedanta and so take preference over every other scripture
d. Itihasas
e. Puranas
f. Bhagavad Gita
g. Other
h. I do not think any Hindu scripture is authoritative

11. Do you believe that reserving seats in government jobs and academic institutions are crucial in order to uplift the Harijan society?
Don't know

12. Do you believe that there are ways to provide education and jobs to Harijans other than reservations?
Don't know

13. Do you support the ideology of a Hindu rashtra?
What's that?

Yes

No

No

Yes

No

No

Yes

Amala
15 April 2012, 10:17 AM
Namaste, I have a question. Under the part of the survey where one is asked about caste, the only option given to those not born into an Indian family is "I am not a Hindu". I was under the impression that this site defines Hindu in the religious/philosophical sense rather than the geographic sense... as something one may choose, not that must be inherited. Am I wrong? And as this is posted under "I am a Hindu" it would follow that anyone who posts here would consider him/herself a Hindu. Could someone please clarify?
बहुश धन्यवादा:

hesh86
15 April 2012, 11:20 AM
Namaste, I have a question. Under the part of the survey where one is asked about caste, the only option given to those not born into an Indian family is "I am not a Hindu". I was under the impression that this site defines Hindu in the religious/philosophical sense rather than the geographic sense... as something one may choose, not that must be inherited. Am I wrong? And as this is posted under "I am a Hindu" it would follow that anyone who posts here would consider him/herself a Hindu. Could someone please clarify?
बहुश धन्यवादा:

Namaste, Amala

I am sorry for this confusion. I think I should have emphasized that this is the varna that the person taking the test is BORN into. Since this classification is not recognized by people who were raised in a non-Hindu family, I had kept the option "I am not a Hindu". I think I should have added the option "I was not raised in a Hindu family". However, you are right. Technically speaking, the varna is a choice, not a birth right.

Eastern Mind
15 April 2012, 11:32 AM
Vannakkam: Regarding the caste question, I don't believe in caste. I put 'outcaste' because it means very little to me, and from an Indian casted POV, that's what I would be. So although I consider myself casteless, others wouldn't. For many people I have met, casteless, and outcaste are synonyms. But within my community here, most of my born-Hindu friends consider me one of them, so I would be a Vellallar of Sri Lanka. This is a farmer caste. At Thai Pongal time here, I am given the honorary role of 'the only true farmer' as everyone has moved from the traditional caste into doctors and engineers. I was born into a Canadian farmer community, which over here could very well be considered a 'class', which is very similar.

Of course having no caste is far different than having no class. But I've been accused of both. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Amala
15 April 2012, 11:42 AM
Namaste Hesh,

Thank you for your kind answer. :-) My questions aren't all cleared up, but I think they're best left for another thread.

Namaste, Amala

I am sorry for this confusion. I think I should have emphasized that this is the varna that the person taking the test is BORN into. Since this classification is not recognized by people who were raised in a non-Hindu family, I had kept the option "I am not a Hindu". I think I should have added the option "I was not raised in a Hindu family". However, you are right. Technically speaking, the varna is a choice, not a birth right.

hesh86
16 April 2012, 10:07 PM
I appreciate everyone's views. I know that the caste question might be uncomfortable to answer - but views expressed on it here are exactly what will showcase the relevance of caste in today's terms and what Hindus and non-Hindus think about it.

@Amala - Yes, I am afraid that caste is a very long issue to deal with and this thread is not the right place to discuss it in detail. The idea is to get a feel for what Hindus believe in. This came once I realized while discussing on a forum that there has not been any survey done on what Hindus believe in and how much and in what way their religion shapes their views on contemporary issues and their own identity.

Eastern Mind
17 April 2012, 07:25 AM
Vannakkam Hesh: Please don't think that this in any way would be a valid survey. The sample size is way way too small, and not random of the total populace at all. I did study a bit about statistics. On this forum, the born to adoptive/convert ratio is probably 1:1, whereas in the Hindu populace it would be closer to 99:1. So I hope you don't draw any conclusions about Hindus from this.

Aum Namasivaya

hesh86
17 April 2012, 08:16 PM
Vannakkam Hesh: Please don't think that this in any way would be a valid survey. The sample size is way way too small, and not random of the total populace at all. I did study a bit about statistics. On this forum, the born to adoptive/convert ratio is probably 1:1, whereas in the Hindu populace it would be closer to 99:1. So I hope you don't draw any conclusions about Hindus from this.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for your comment. I am realizing what you have mentioned - well, I only did this out of interest and not to publish anything. I will still keep the thread, though.

satay
17 April 2012, 10:01 PM
namaste,
Not sure why 'caste' is an uncomfortable answer for some. I don't care if non indians don't like it. :dunno:

Caste is part of who I am so people should get used to it and stop complaining about it. I am not giving it up.

okay now that that's off my chest...carry on.

Mana
18 April 2012, 01:11 AM
Namaste All,

I am very sorry but I find the questions here generally to restrictive to answer; my visual mind does not accept boxes or categorise easily, I tend to see all as one in a universal way, global picture rather than sects and boxes. I genuinely find the questions to be nonsensical.

I'm not from Hindustan, but my path is satya sanAtana dharma.

Sorry not to be of any use to your survey.

praNAma

mana

charitra
18 April 2012, 02:08 PM
Caste O caste! There are tens of millions of people of indian origin who dont like caste. Many millions like it on the other hand. But they all get along very well. It is of paramount importance that one must slowly transcend the caste barrier for the larger good of hindu faith. At the end of the day it is divisive. Hindus in urban settings have quite successfully blurred the caste lines, and especially the smarter, successful and the higher social strata groups have made it look irrelevant. The marriagess that took place in my friend and family circles in Hyderabad in last 15 years are a clear pointer in this direction, more of inter than intracaste marriages became the rule. That includes a singh and an aggarval as well, embracing our telugus. One can remain happy and proud about ones haritage and lineage, so one doesnt have to shun caste, but at the same time ought to remain cognizant of the potential harm it is causing from some quarters. No one can enforce a marriage on intercaste lines and similarly no one should raise objections should a couple want to get married across caste lines.

The current generation is well on its way to change the hindu caste landscape, regardless of what the procaste advocates have to say, thousands of intercaste marriges are happening annually all over the place. Their financial freedom, complemented with over all liberal outlook transforming the hindu households, has led them away from the tradition and made them take a leap into modernity. Rural people have remained loyal to the tradition nevertheless, thats again isfine for now. On a sadder note the divorce rate is skyrocketting among the hindu couples. This is a clear signal that caste marriagesare less successful now than in the past. Namaste

Amala
18 April 2012, 02:24 PM
Namaste Mana,

Me too! LOL I tried 3 times to answer truthfully, but I'm just not a yes/no, black/white dvaita sort of thinker. :-) Of course there was no option as far as caste for me so that stopped me dead in my tracks.... which is fine. I don't care about not being able to take it. Not everything has to be directed at me. :D

Namaste All,

I am very sorry but I find the questions here generally to restrictive to answer; my visual mind does not accept boxes or categorise easily, I tend to see all as one in a universal way, global picture rather than sects and boxes. I genuinely find the questions to be nonsensical.

I'm not from Hindustan, but my path is satya sanAtana dharma.

Sorry not to be of any use to your survey.

praNAma

mana

Mana
18 April 2012, 11:22 PM
Namaste Mana,

Me too! LOL I tried 3 times to answer truthfully, but I'm just not a yes/no, black/white dvaita sort of thinker. :-) Of course there was no option as far as caste for me so that stopped me dead in my tracks.... which is fine. I don't care about not being able to take it. Not everything has to be directed at me. :D

Namaste Amala,

Thank you for confirming that the world is not black and white, I was convinced of the colours that I see!

Oh no I don't mind either; it can be rather tiring however, I am regularly mocked in my daily life and told even, that I am alien ...
I do believe that we humans have free will and the capacity for change, so I shall keep plugging away, maybe we can realise that 10000000000 boxes; is all quite simply mAyA, beautiful as it may be; over complication is detrimental advancement, rather resembling a broken mirror, light is scattered indiscriminately giving no clear direction at all.

We all live in the same box!

praNAma

mana

Mana
18 April 2012, 11:38 PM
Namaste charitra,

Thank you for your fascinating post, it is of great interest to hear your thoughts on your beautiful culture, and its state of current affairs.

This shifting of time, brings about these changes, especially in the form of caste, as one who has suffered the experience of divorced parents and the adharma that this brings about.

I can only hope that Indians will have the wisdom and foresight to look to the crumbling systems of the West and keep stead fast to the roots of their dharma. It is the roots of dharma and not its branches which hold it steady in a storm! I feel that this is why I was drawn to sanAtana dharma and not Christianity in my time of need.

The marital state of couples is a significant varNa, showing the health of a society; representative of communal stability.
The mess left by the instability of broken families, which created by the ego coming before the collective; leaves fertile ground for spontaneous kundalini awakenings, kAla in all her glorious forms. The whole, the universal self; searches for a new direction.

Sorry for derailing!

I have often thought that it would be great to have threads with branches in these forums, for spin-offs; a visual representation of the thread (sorry there goes my visual thinking again), back on topic!!!

praNAma

mana

cuddledkitty
19 April 2012, 02:30 AM
1 yes
2 yes (mulitples, mostly shinto)
3 yes
4 yes
5 yes
6 yes
7 yes
8 H) none, i am a practicing Hindu and very new but the gods i worship are mostly shinto but shintoism is not an act of worship just a mythology
9 Kshatriya if you were to judge my family as military and political. My family is tied to very questionable leaders from Nippon's past along with the Tokugawa family (a ruling regime of japan)
10 H)
11 yes
12 yes
13 no
14 yes (but violence is inevitable)
15 yes
16 no
17 no
18 no
19 no
20 yes (it has a VERY strong misunderstanding which is why i skipped it and converted from Islam)

hesh86
19 April 2012, 06:28 PM
OK...
I was afraid I almost lost the topic of the thread here.

Well, it seems that to most people caste is not an important issue. Actually, I wanted to see how a Hindus' religious views influence their attitudes to social reform steps like affirmative action. It looks as though most people don't have an opinion on this or don't know much about this, since they are non-Indian Hindus. Anyway, thanks to all those who are still taking the survey.

yajvan
19 April 2012, 07:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Caste is part of who I am so people should get used to it and stop complaining about it.

When really understood it makes perfect sense, and upholds dharma. It is not a 'contest' of fairness or opportunity.

praṇām

nitinsharma
20 April 2012, 09:41 AM
namaste,

Caste is part of who I am so people should get used to it and stop complaining about it. I am not giving it up.

Spot on,Sir.