PDA

View Full Version : How Christianity is Ego-Based

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 08:43 AM
नमस्ते,

This is meant with no offense to Christians. It was just something I was thinking about last night, which I found interesting.

In Hinduism, we say that it doesn't matter how you worship or which God you worship. Krishna says this in the Bhagavad Gita, and I've seen the same thought reflected elsewhere. if all is Brahman, then all worship ultimately goes to Brahman.

In Christianity, we hear again and again, in both the Old and New Testament, that you must worship "The Lord" alone, no other idols, images, etc. He is a "jealous god," which proves my point in that phrase alone.

In Christianity, there is competition to be the best, the highest, to have the true God. In Hinduism, ego has no part in it. God is God no matter how He is manifest for each person. This is what I like about Hinduism.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Sahasranama
17 April 2012, 08:54 AM
Who cares?

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 09:10 AM
Who cares?

नमस्ते,

I think a lot of people do. For one, if we want spiritual growth, it seems silly to go with an ego-based religion. Ego cannot take us to God.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Sahasranama
17 April 2012, 09:31 AM
I meant, who cares about Christianity? Don't waste your time analysing Christian doctrine.

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 09:36 AM
I meant, who cares about Christianity? Don't waste your time analysing Christian doctrine.

नमस्ते,

Now that I can get behind. :p

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Eastern Mind
17 April 2012, 09:52 AM
Vannakkam: There is ego everywhere, but a difference is some know it and others don't, some admit it, and others don't. "Become the watcher."

Such irony in statements 'proud of your humility', or "I have no ego." :rolleyes:

My take is to truck along, mostly without analysing.

Aum Namasivaya

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 10:28 AM
Vannakkam: There is ego everywhere, but a difference is some know it and others don't, some admit it, and others don't. "Become the watcher."

Such irony in statements 'proud of your humility', or "I have no ego." :rolleyes:

My take is to truck along, mostly without analysing.

Aum Namasivaya

नमस्ते,

I'm talking about Hinduism as a whole, not myself as an individual. I recognize very well that I have an ego, and it is something I strive to overcome every day. I was simply talking about the differences between the two religions, and why one appeals to me more. :)

It also wasn't really meant to be criticism, just something that I noticed and was thinking about that I wanted to share.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Sahasranama
17 April 2012, 10:36 AM
नमस्ते,

Now that I can get behind. :p

ॐ नमः शिवायMany Hindus think that there is a need to "respond" to Christianity, this gives Christianity more credit than it deserves. You cannot dedicate your mind totally to Hinduism if it always goes back to Christianity, positively or negatively. Christianity doesn't deserve so much of our attention. It is really sad to see that so many Hindus are obsessed with Christianity. Sri Krishna says whatever it is that is on our mind at the end of your life will determine our next birth. Any person who does want to talk about Christian doctrine with Hindus is just being rude, just like someone sitting in a college classroom would be rude if he started to ask questions and make comments about something completely unrelated.

Mana
17 April 2012, 10:46 AM
Namaste All,

It is interesting to note that Occidental Astronomy reflects this exact same trend.

praNAma

mana

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 11:03 AM
Namaste All,

It is interesting to note that Occidental Astronomy reflects this exact same trend.

praNAma

mana

नमस्ते,

Can you explain this? This is interesting, but I don't know about it.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Mana
17 April 2012, 11:36 AM
नमस्ते,

Can you explain this? This is interesting, but I don't know about it.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Namaste Aum namah Śivāya,

I believe this to be connected to the different Calendar systems, the Roman calendar being a Sun based Calendar.

Occidental Astronomy uses the tropical zodiac and focuses solely on the Sun, which represents the ego. It slips out of phase with the stars, and the positions of the houses no longer correspond to the stars them selves.

Jyotish uses sidereal astronomy, and is a study of the actual position of the stars and thus the light received from them, as such it is in harmony with the stars, the Solar system and Galaxy etc.

I think that quite possible, the data taken at the time this science was translated, or inherited, is incomplete or has been misunderstood; meaning the whole zodiac is beating in and out of phase with its self. Rather like a badly tuned instrument. I believe, due to the faliur to recognise the counter rotation of the earth's wobble as it spins.

praNAma

mana

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 12:02 PM
Namaste Aum namah Śivāya,

I believe this to be connected to the different Calendar systems, the Roman calendar being a Sun based Calendar.

Occidental Astronomy uses the tropical zodiac and focuses solely on the Sun, which represents the ego. It slips out of phase with the stars, and the positions of the houses no longer correspond to the stars them selves.

Jyotish uses sidereal astronomy, and is a study of the actual position of the stars and thus the light received from them, as such it is in harmony with the stars, the Solar system and Galaxy etc.

I think that quite possible, the data taken at the time this science was translated, or inherited, is incomplete or has been misunderstood; meaning the whole zodiac is beating in and out of phase with its self. Rather like a badly tuned instrument. I believe, due to the faliur to recognise the counter rotation of the earth's wobble as it spins.

praNAma

mana

नमस्ते,

Thanks. That is fascinating. Thank you for the explanation.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

wundermonk
17 April 2012, 01:19 PM
In Christianity, there is competition to be the best, the highest, to have the true God.

Essentially, the Abrahamic God is impotent, jealous, wants us to wage war for his sake, sends a prophet, but mankind simply doesnt care so God has to send another prophet and then God gets all tired of this charade and becomes all shy and says no more prophets for you, you erring humankind.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VrxOoeWFmc) is a funny take on the Abrahamic God.

Jainarayan
17 April 2012, 02:27 PM
Namaste.

In Christianity, we hear again and again, in both the Old and New Testament, that you must worship "The Lord" alone, no other idols, images, etc. He is a "jealous god," which proves my point in that phrase alone.

In Christianity, there is competition to be the best, the highest, to have the true God. In Hinduism, ego has no part in it. God is God no matter how He is manifest for each person. This is what I like about Hinduism.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

This is all true. However, let us remember there is no "Abrahamic God", there is only the view of God by Abrahamics. That's a very big distinction. To suggest that each religion has a God is to deny the existence of One God, and make existence polytheistic.

The twisted and perverted view of God by Abrahamics is the heart of the matter; humans are the problem. And not even a majority of them, rather, a minority of vocal and vicious, twisted and perverted miscreants. Remember the "one bad apple... " aphorism.

Aum namah Śivāya
17 April 2012, 03:12 PM
Essentially, the Abrahamic God is impotent, jealous, wants us to wage war for his sake, sends a prophet, but mankind simply doesnt care so God has to send another prophet and then God gets all tired of this charade and becomes all shy and says no more prophets for you, you erring humankind.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VrxOoeWFmc) is a funny take on the Abrahamic God.

नमस्ते,

Lol, thanks for this link. Made my wife and I laugh. :)

@TBL:

Yes of course it is not actually a separate God who is like this, just the way that Christians see God. :)

ॐ नमः शिवाय

realdemigod
17 April 2012, 09:26 PM
LOL..funny situation.