PDA

View Full Version : Cynicism

cuddledkitty
18 April 2012, 07:05 PM
Is it wrong to have a cynical outlook upon others as a (new)Hindu? Growing up i always found this the norm considering people's ill treatment towards me. I am very new at hinduism and would like to know if this is a bad outlook on life.

Mana
19 April 2012, 12:36 AM
Namaste cuddledkitty,

Welcome to HDF, pleased to meet you. We have an introductions folder over here (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15); should you feel inclined ;)

There is no wrong or right; With that said, the way in which you feel for, or, about others; will effect directly the way in which they interact with you. This balance is very delicate and in order to find balance; we must persist with positivity in our hearts, as so much as is possible.

If you find this difficult; Think of God at all times !

The world about us will reflect this to us, it becomes much easier with time.

praNAma

mana

Eastern Mind
19 April 2012, 08:01 AM
Vannakkam kitty: In my experience, cynicism is subjective. One person's cynicism is another's realism. If you can be more specific, it might help. Cynical about what in particular?

Aum Namasivaya

Aum namah Śivāya
19 April 2012, 08:36 AM
Is it wrong to have a cynical outlook upon others as a (new)Hindu? Growing up i always found this the norm considering people's ill treatment towards me. I am very new at hinduism and would like to know if this is a bad outlook on life.

नमस्ते,

I agree it depends on what you mean by "cynical." However, I think that to be too cynical is to deny God's essence in that person. I've seen miracles occur because someone has been willing to trust in God and not make assumptions about someone else.

In my view, the world is less real than God that pervades it, and so I place my trust in that actual Reality, not in the illusion. At least, I do this as much as possible—quite often I get caught up in it myself. But I think if we view it in this way, many times a person is somehow teaching us the lesson we need exactly at that moment.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Jainarayan
19 April 2012, 09:34 AM

Namaste cuddlekitty. Welcome to HDF. I hope you find your answers, and learning here. :)

When one has experienced ill-treatment all their life, it is easy and understandable to be "gun-shy".

Is it "wrong" as a Hindu? It's not a matter of right or wrong, imo, but it certainly gets in the way of spiritual progress. It's a matter of what it does to you when you don't trust people. Here are some verses from the Bhagavad Gita, Sri Krishna's teachings:

"One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me—such a devotee of Mine is very dear to Me. He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and distress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me." 12.13-15

He also says "All beings are in Me...". 9.5

Even the worst of the worst and the most hurtful people are part of Him. I try to remember this, but I fail miserably. When I do remember it I take comfort knowing that He understands. I take it that He is saying that in thinking of Him, these feelings of fear, anxiety and even cynicism, and not seeing the good in even the worst people, go away.

Take this all with a grain of salt, as my $1 (inflation, you know ;)).

cuddledkitty
19 April 2012, 12:33 PM
well i always have a very negative opinion of others. "I act nice and very kind to others but they always find fault, people who know me tend to REALLY like me because i am very carefree and calm. But on average people who meet me immediately find fault in me as if i wish to argue or start a war with them. So i always avoid people as i find it hard to believe the majority of people i meet in life are even "sub-human" as they have no human feeling just a need to destroy others and mostly me. My mother spent her whole life doing this till she died and nobody mourned at her funeral and the only thing close was an offering of gratitude to her death. So ive never really had outwardly good interactions with people other then my father ad a FEW friends

cuddledkitty
19 April 2012, 12:54 PM
Well i have always had a negative viewing on others starting from my mother who hated me just for being nice specifically and the people i met in life later after her death. Nobody cried at her funeral all i got was a offering of gratitude over her death and thats it, nobody mourned her departure. After that the people i met in life were just awful, every Christian is a devil in disguise every person that says i wish to help you is a demon covered with skin. I always speak kindly and try helping others but they find fault with it and accuse me of starting an argument. So i have a cynical and negative feeling to others. I ALWAYS act kind and nice, i always speak good things but it means nothing to people. So i really wish to know if being a Hindu will remove this but i am stumped as to why people display immediate hatred towards me, being shy has never brewed hatred as far as i know. So i personally look upon people as inferior, i believe in individual inferiority not hatred towards people. People make the choice that determines the value of their own lives and its significance, people mention the caste system but wealth and status means nothing. If i was to make a caste system it would be on how you treat others and how you affect them, because these actions are what bring peace and war. And i find it more harder to accept that 90% of people want war and hatred, no cause or reasoning behind it. I just dont know how to remove this feeling to others.