PDA

View Full Version : Live by the Power of God

Aum namah Śivāya
25 April 2012, 08:38 AM
नमस्ते,

I found this quote in Autobiography of a Yogi that I really enjoyed:

“Swamiji, I am puzzled. Following your instruction, suppose I never asked for food, and nobody gives me any. I should starve to death.”

“Die then!” This alarming counsel split the air. “Die if you must Mukunda! Never admit that you live by the power of food and not by the power of God! He who has created every form of nourishment, He who has bestowed appetite, will certainly see that His devotee is sustained! Do not imagine that rice maintains you, or that money or men support you! Could they aid if the Lord withdraws your life-breath? They are His indirect instruments merely. Is it by any skill of yours that food digests in your stomach? Use the sword of your discrimination, Mukunda! Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!”

Autobiography of a Yogi, Chapter 10

ॐ नमः शिवाय

OM

IcyCosmic
25 April 2012, 06:05 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Even if not practical remarkable in drawing understanding towards how everything is merely happening with the Divines command.
Thanks for sharing.

Aum namah Śivāya
25 April 2012, 11:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Even if not practical remarkable in drawing understanding towards how everything is merely happening with the Divines command.
Thanks for sharing.

नमस्ते,

Oh, I think it is absolutely practical. If we think otherwise, it's just a lack of faith on our part. I don't know if you've read Autobiography of a Yogi, but there's a part where Yogananda's (then Mukunda) older brother puts him to a test: he and his friend must take one-way train tickets and go into the city with no money, not miss a single meal, and get back home on the train by midnight. In short, they experience miracle after miracle, and get back before midnight having met all of the conditions, and more I dare say. Faith in God is all that is needed. God is supremely practical because the world arises out of God.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

OM

IcyCosmic
26 April 2012, 11:53 AM
नमस्ते,

Oh, I think it is absolutely practical. If we think otherwise, it's just a lack of faith on our part. I don't know if you've read Autobiography of a Yogi, but there's a part where Yogananda's (then Mukunda) older brother puts him to a test: he and his friend must take one-way train tickets and go into the city with no money, not miss a single meal, and get back home on the train by midnight. In short, they experience miracle after miracle, and get back before midnight having met all of the conditions, and more I dare say. Faith in God is all that is needed. God is supremely practical because the world arises out of God.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

OM

I have not read it, no. Sounds very interesting. Wow I will have to check that out, so they got fed and got home before the time limit? Brilliant.

Aum namah Śivāya
27 April 2012, 01:36 AM
I have not read it, no. Sounds very interesting. Wow I will have to check that out, so they got fed and got home before the time limit? Brilliant.

नमस्ते,

Yes, it was really awesome. There are many other examples in the book where the Divine Mother answers his prayers instantaneously at times, often miraculously.

YOu can find the book free here: http://www.ananda.org/autobiography/

ॐ नमः शिवाय

OM