PDA

View Full Version : Why do Hindus behave so badly?

dustyroad
27 April 2012, 12:41 PM
I am an Indian Hindu (although I am more into Buddhism these days), and I find the behavior of Hindus in India appalling. There is absolutely no respect for anyone, no courtesy. Except for foreigners, nobody is treated with respect here.

I fail to understand why this is so - Hinduism is the opposite. It is all about hospitality, gentleness etc., but Hindus always do the opposite.

IcyCosmic
27 April 2012, 01:22 PM
Really? From what I have been exposed too it is not as such. That's a mighty shame.
However to be honest with you most individuals regardless of religion can act as such, social conditioning, media brainwash, people are knee-deep in ignorance...so its hard to really generalise and say 'hindus'.

Perhaps a certain group of people you know, who happen to be 'hindus'?
Either way hopefully they stop acting as you have described ^.^

Eastern Mind
27 April 2012, 01:24 PM
Vannakkam dr: Just how much of India have you traveled to? Not sure if you're making a sweeping generalisation or not.

Aum Namasivaya

kallol
27 April 2012, 01:35 PM
It is the choice of selective viewing of the society. If one is drawn to the positives of another, he makes good friends. If one is more focused on negetive side (relative term), he makes no friends rather sometimes enemies.

Good and bad makes a human and both are relative to you. Choice is yours. Which one you want to focus on.

Similarly the society. If the society is by and large good and peaceful, it because majority and dominant part is good and peaceful. So judge hinduism that way.

Buddhism is an offshoot of hindu thoughts and I am not sure how it is majorly different from all the philosophical lines of hinduism.

Choice is yours and the peace of mind is yours.

Seeker123
27 April 2012, 01:53 PM
OP,

I wouldnt generalize. It is like generalizing that Hispanics are "hot" etc. You may have come across people. I have come across many who are very respecting. Our experiences are generally subjective. Once we have a certain mindset about something our experience is clouded. Rather than focusing on others Hindusim says focus on your duties. So do you respect others?

dustyroad
27 April 2012, 09:49 PM
Vannakkam dr: Just how much of India have you traveled to? Not sure if you're making a sweeping generalisation or not.

Aum Namasivaya

I am an Indian that lives in India. I travel to both north and south, and I am being extremely gentle when I say people are uncivilized.

devotee
27 April 2012, 11:13 PM
Namaste Dustyroad,

I am an Indian that lives in India. I travel to both north and south, and I am being extremely gentle when I say people are uncivilized.

It is not clear where you live and in India what places you have been to. It is also not known of what age you are and of what gender and what you do. Some idea about you would have given us a better tool to judge why you say what you say.

I am an Indian. I keep travelling from one part of India to another. In fact, I have lived for many years in the Extreme North, Eastern Part of India, North Eastern part of India, Western part of India, Central part of India, East Central part of India, Southern part of India etc. at different points of time. I have also travelled and stayed in Germany, France and other European countries. I have also lived in Afghanistan. I have friends who are Hindus, Muslims and a number of Christians.

So, I think my assessment would be considered practical. I believe in and have found this doctrine true : The world behaves with you as you behave with this world.

It has nothing to do with being Hindu, Christian or Muslim or whatever. It simply depends upon what you are and how you behave. Have you heard of Raheem (a Navaratna in the court of Mughal Emperor Akbar who worshipped Lord Krishna) : "BurA jo dekhan main chalA, burA na miliyA koi, jyon dil doondhA aapnA, mujha sA burA na koi". It means :

" When I went to find out the bad people in this world I couldn't find one. As soon as I looked within my heart, I found that there was none worse than myself (as I was the one who was trying to find "bad")"

This applies to all of us. So, why don't you look inside ? You will certainly find the real culprit. :)

OM

realdemigod
28 April 2012, 01:14 AM
dustyroad,
I think devotee hit the right point. Are you giving respect in return to get respect? Even people who are not educated, poor people if you treat them with respect they will show respect in return. Infact those are major section of people who show respect whatsoever to others.

surrenderindailylife
28 April 2012, 05:07 AM
It has nothing to do with being Hindu, Christian or Muslim or whatever. It simply depends upon what you are and how you behave. Have you heard of Raheem (a Navaratna in the court of Mughal Emperor Akbar who worshipped Lord Krishna) : "BurA jo dekhan main chalA, burA na miliyA koi, jyon dil doondhA aapnA, mujha sA burA na koi". It means :

" When I went to find out the bad people in this world I couldn't find one. As soon as I looked within my heart, I found that there was none worse than myself (as I was the one who was trying to find "bad")"

Namaste DR

I have lived in India, all of my 38 yrs - lived in North, West & South India. I agree completely with Devotee - you get to see what you desire to see. Your external world is just a reflection of your inner world.

Om Namah Shivay

Eastern Mind
28 April 2012, 06:58 AM
Vannakkam: There is an old story that illustrates the point.

Manu, due to circumstances, has to move to a new village. Before moving, he goes for a walk, and finds an old gentleman sitting on a park bench. Curious about what the village is like, Manu strikes up a conversation.

"So I have to move here. Can you tell me a bit about this place. How are the people here?"
The old man replies, "First tell me how the people in your village are."
"They're wonderful," says Manu. "I'm really disappointed I have to move. I have many friends there whom I shall miss dearly."
To which the old man replies, "Yes, that is how the people here are as well. You will be welcomed by them all, I'm sure."

The next day Satya, from another village, also having to move, comes to the same town. Just as Manu was curious a day earlier, he also finds the old man on the park bench.

"Tell me, Sir. What are the people like in this place? I must move here."
The man asks, "First tell me of the people in your home village."
Satya says, "They were a bunch of grumps, swindlers, and some of the most unfriendly people one could find anywhere. I will be so glad to be rid of them."
Then the old man replies, "I'm so sorry to let you know, but I'm afraid you'll find the people here much like that too."

Aum Namasivaya

dustyroad
28 April 2012, 08:53 AM
Namaste Dustyroad,

It is not clear where you live and in India what places you have been to. It is also not known of what age you are and of what gender and what you do. Some idea about you would have given us a better tool to judge why you say what you say.

I am an Indian. I keep travelling from one part of India to another. In fact, I have lived for many years in the Extreme North, Eastern Part of India, North Eastern part of India, Western part of India, Central part of India, East Central part of India, Southern part of India etc. at different points of time. I have also travelled and stayed in Germany, France and other European countries. I have also lived in Afghanistan. I have friends who are Hindus, Muslims and a number of Christians.

So, I think my assessment would be considered practical. I believe in and have found this doctrine true : The world behaves with you as you behave with this world.

This applies to all of us. So, why don't you look inside ? You will certainly find the real culprit. :)

OM

Sorry, but this is just an elaborate rationalization for bad behavior. Truth is, people in India constantly pick on the weak, discriminate againt dark skin, treat manual laborers without respect, even the sick in hospitals get treated badly. This goes against dharma, which is all about kindness.

Eastern Mind
28 April 2012, 09:11 AM
Vannakkam dr: Let's suppose for a minute what you say is true.

Then what do you think are the causes for this? Also, what are some solutions, both on an individual level, and on a group consciousness level?
What can we do to uplift others so they operate more on some level of kindness?

Aum Namasivaya

kallol
28 April 2012, 09:31 AM
Even I accept that this is true in many cases.

Now let us see what might be the reasons.

I am sure that even a century back this might not have been the case. Then why today. Mostly you will find that the so called ethics and humanity was embibed into the society through the subtle methods of purana stories, education, temples, the celebrations, etc. Ofcourse then you have the saints and the followings.

Today we have deliberately moved away from these all. Hinduism is untouchable (we are onlu namesake hindus). Absolute for of secularism together with high competeition in all fields have taken a toll on the people and they have lost the ethical and humaniterian direction. Thus moving away from our traditional knowledge is having huge effect on the society.

I will term two major factors - secularism without establishment of ethics
and high competition which corrupts the minds.

The knowledge of hinduism can only enhance the actions of people - and it has been proved over hundres and thousands of years.

You might again bring in caste system but again what is being practised is not what is mentioned in scriptures.

So how can you blame hinduism. Just having hindu names does not mean they are knowleagable about the hinduism.

kallol
28 April 2012, 09:41 AM
Last post I gave a view in micro perspective. Now let me put it in macro perspective.

Let's say that predominantly the Indians (and so called hindus) are becoming bad. Then what might happen. The society will come to a point of breakdown in future.

From that breakdown, a new society will have to come up which will shed the things which have led them to that point.

Now again this is as per the theory of Hinduism. This is nothing new. You had Kauravas and Ravanas and so many ashuras in the scriptures who even being part of hinduism, were in wrong path. The corrections happened again and again in the history. In the known history we have seen Sankaracharya, Chaitanya, Rammohan, Vidyasagar, Vivekananda and others have come to revitalize the society and reconfirmed the validity of the knowledge in the scriptures.

Only after gaining knowledge of the scriptures, one will be in a position to view holistically the society and country.

satay
28 April 2012, 06:38 PM
admin note

Yet another boot for someone who doesn't get the point.

How many times do I have to give you the boot from hdf?