PDA

View Full Version : why close the eyes ?

yajvan
28 April 2012, 01:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme.

If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?

praṇām

Seeker
28 April 2012, 01:47 PM
Yajvan Ji,
This may be to help focus , since visual inputs could be distracting. Eyes and ears are the sensing organs that could be easily controlled. I wish I could shut off my senses of smelling the way I could close my eyes.

maraji
28 April 2012, 02:34 PM
pranam Yajvan ji

To introspect, to see the Antaryami why look outside( Bahiantar ) when he she you are meditating on is within

Mana
28 April 2012, 02:46 PM
Namaste yajvan,

Thank you for your considered posting.

I find that I am regularly reminded of Siva in the world about me, and that auditive distraction can be much more of a hindrance to my balance.
It is strange that some will surround them selves at all times with noise, as if to avoid hearing their own thoughts.

http://media-cache6.pinterest.com/upload/22658804345029724_xcA5jGTy_b.jpg

http://media-cache8.pinterest.com/upload/182466222372172023_PvBqXL7b_f.jpg

PraNAma

mana

AmIHindu
28 April 2012, 04:08 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme.

If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?

praṇām

In my opinion,we close our eyes to withdraw from this world for a while. We close our eyes to find Him inside us. Try to look for Him in our body, may be between two eyes or in our heart. By closing eyes we try to find answer to question, Who am I ?

Eastern Mind
28 April 2012, 07:49 PM
Vannakkam: Does one intentionally close eyes, or is it more like breathing, a natural outcome of a certain activity, such as perspiration from exercise?

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
29 April 2012, 12:50 AM
Vannakkam: Does one intentionally close eyes, or is it more like breathing, a natural outcome of a certain activity, such as perspiration from exercise?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste All,

In retrospect; I close my eyes morning and night when I meditate, this allows me to focus on pranayama, to bring about a little tamas to calm rajas. A time when the Heart can be listened to without interruption.

praNAma

mana

MahaHrada
29 April 2012, 05:34 AM
There are no instruction as far as i know to close the eyes during Meditation in the yoga shastras. If people recommend fully closing the eyes it must be because of a lack of correct instruction. I have studied with different teachers and read many instructions for meditation i have never come across one that instructs people to close their eyes. Can anyone of you give me an example from any traditional shastra buddhist, jain, taoist or Hindu that recommends it?

McKitty
29 April 2012, 06:03 AM
Hello,

It's strange because I personally can't meditate with eyes closed...I can't concentrate and I feel a pain in the forehead >< It's disturbing.
The only way I can meditate it's when my eyes are half open. With eyes half open I can go inside more easily and i'm not disturbed by what i have in sight, it's like my eyes are open but i can control if "i see" or "not".

I'm sorry, it's hard to explain, I hope it's understandable ^^"

Aum !

devotee
29 April 2012, 06:32 AM
Namaste Yajvan ji and all,

The eyes can be kept open, closed or half-closed during meditation depending upon what the Guru suggests.

MH's way of challenging "keeping eyes closed during meditation" is not appreciated. It unnecessarily tries to show supremacy of one's knowledge over the others here. This is not required. I would quote AdvyatAraka Upanishad which says that the eyes can be kept closed or half-closed :

Chitsvaroopohamiti sadA bhAvayan samyanga nimilitAkshah kinchidunmilitAkshivAntardrishtaya bhrUdaharAdupari sachhidAnanda tejah kootroopam parbrahmAvalokayan tdroopo bhavati.

As has been highlighted in the above text, the eyes can be kept closed or half-opened as per this Upanishad.

The meditational methods are slightly different from one school to the other. Some SAdhaks find keeping eyes closed helping in meditation as it immediately withdraws from the outer visible world. However, it has a difficulty that once the eyes are closed, the mind starts creating images from the impressions gained in the waking time. That takes the meditator to the mental realms and can cause sleep. There are some schools which teach the aspirants to keep their eyes fully opened focussing at the tip of the nose or the point between the eyebrows etc.

I have tried keeping my eyes half-closed during meditation but it creates strain on the eyes and doesn't suit me though it is considered the best way for the beginners. So, I perform meditation keeping my eyes closed.

OM

JaiMaaDurga
29 April 2012, 06:44 AM
Namaste,

To preface, I am answering this in the spirit of exploration,
as I do not believe yajvan or others are genuinely ignorant on the subject
and in desperate need of my opinion.;)

It is like training wheels on a bicycle; one has to master the basics
before advancing. One who has made sufficient progress can enter
meditation without concern of distraction, or falling asleep...
eyes open or closed, in the midst of noisy chaos or the whispering
peace of a mountain forest, no environmental factor will matter.

Mind you, I have not met anyone who was capable of this "from day 1"!
Some teach students to never close the eyes or impede any senses,
as it leads to error, sleepiness, and mistaking one state for another-
others teach to withdraw as completely as possible from the external
senses, that to permit full focus and attention to be directed upon
practice requires re-sensitization.

In any event, there is much that has been written and said about this
for centuries, and the essentials never change: breath, focus, calm.
One who worries if one's focal point is a millimeter too far to the left or right
is guaranteed to "miss the point" entirely!;)

JAI MATA DI

MahaHrada
29 April 2012, 07:25 AM
Chitsvaroopohamiti sadA bhAvayan samyanga nimilitAkshah kinchidunmilitAkshivAntardrishtaya bhrUdaharAdupari sachhidAnanda tejah kootroopam parbrahmAvalokayan tdroopo bhavati.

As has been highlighted in the above text, the eyes can be kept closed or half-opened as per this Upanishad.

The

This whole Yoga Upanishad and also this verse, is about Shambhavi mudra, the state of Shambhava, or nimilana/unmilana (opening and closing of the eyes)or nimesha/unmesha (contraction expansion) samadhi also called "bhairavi mudra" a tantric state of meditation connected with the rise of kundalini where there is a fluctuation of awareness from the inside to the outside finally arriving at a balanced state with opened eyes while the attention (the drishti) is both witdrawn within and awareness is also present without. This is the krama mudra namend after a stage of the process to reach shambhavi, the opening and closing of the eyes in this upanishad does not refer to the subject of whether one should do a simple meditation with open, half open or closed eyes. This process and the instructions should be learned from a Guru. It is most advanced.

śāmbhavīmudrā
antarbāhyalakṣye dṛṣṭau nimeṣonmeṣavarjitāyāṁ satyaṁ
sāṁbhavī mudrā bhavati | tanmudrārūḍhaj&#241;āninivāsāt bhūmiḥ
pavitrā bhavati | taddṛṣṭyā sarve lokāḥ pavitrā bhavanti |
tādṛśaparamayogipūjā yasya labhyate so'pi mukto bhavati || 12||
yatyogibhiḥ dhyeyamuktaṁ paryavasāne tadeva sāṁbhavī mudrā
bhavatītyāha antariti || mudrā bhavati ityatra
antarlakṣyaṁ bahirdṛṣṭiḥ nimeṣonmeṣavarjitā |
eṣā sā śāmbhavī mudrā sarvatantreṣu gopitā ||
iti śruteḥ | tanmudrārūḍhayoginaṁ stauti -- taditi | pavitrā
bhavati ityatra svapādanyāsamātreṇa pāvayan vasudhātalaṁ iti
svarūpadarśanokteḥ | pavitrā bhavanti --
svecarā bhūcarāḥ sarve brahmaviddṛṣṭigocarāḥ |
sadya eva vimucyante koṭijanmārjitairaghaiḥ ||
iti śruteḥ || 12||
Advaja taraka upanishad

It is one mudra, some say the highest, among several other mudras Siddhas assume when they enter the absolute state, these siddhas are then called "shambhava siddhas"

I must again ask you to keep your personal dislike of me to yourself or attack me ad hominem via pm and stop trying to incite a flame war and disturb the thread whenever you want to add your share to global warming by the hot air you produce.

maraji
29 April 2012, 08:11 AM
Pranam

How do we meditate? Why do we meditate with eyes open or close what difference does it make? Well I have no answer but then I ask how did Vamiki rishi meditate? Was his eyes open or closed?

Krishna says

Sitting (in a comfortable position) and concentrating the mind on a single object, controlling the thoughts and the activities of the senses, let the yogi practice meditation for self-purification. (6.12)

When we concentrate on mind does is matter if the eyes are closed or open do we look for mind outside of us?

devotee
29 April 2012, 08:17 AM
This whole Yoga Upanishad and also this verse, is about Shambhavi mudra, the state of Shambhava, or milana/unmilana (opening and closing of the eyes)or nimesha/unmesha (contraction expansion) samadhi also called "bhairavi mudra" a tantric state of meditation connected with the rise of kundalini where there is a fluctuation of awareness from the inside to the outside finally arriving at a balanced state with opened eyes while the attention (the drishti) is both witdrawn within and awareness is also present without.

It is not what you have understood, please. It says, the eyes can be kept either closed (nimiltah) or slightly closed (Kinchitunmilitah). ... It is verse no. 2 of Advya TAraka Upanishad. The verse you have quoted talks of nimesh/unmesh (seeing outward/inward) and not nimilatam /unmilitam (eyes closed/opened).

I must again ask you to keep your personal dislike of me to yourself or attack me ad hominem via pm and stop trying to incite a flame war and disturb the thread whenever you want to add your share to global warming by the hot air you produce.

You have got me wrong. I only want that you should respect other's points of view too and accept that the other too is saying with some authority. I have several references from Hindu ways of meditation and also Buddhist ways of meditation wherein "closed eyes", "fully open eyes" and also "slightly opened eyes" can be used. BTW, most of the references are from different schools. The best way for the beginner has been considered "slightly opened eyes".

OM

Mana
29 April 2012, 08:49 AM
Namaste MahaHrada, devotee,

devotee, I honestly see no misintention here ...

Thank you both for directing my attention towards this Upanishad.
I am quite fascinated to study and learn more of this yoga.

Thank you both kindly.

praNAma

mana

MahaHrada
29 April 2012, 08:54 AM
It is not what you have understood, please. It says, the eyes can be kept either closed (nimiltah) or slightly closed (Kinchitunmilitah). ... It is verse no. 2 of Advya TAraka Upanishad.

You have got me wrong. I only want that you should respect other's points of view too and accept that the other too is saying with some authority.

OM

It is the second verse it states the purpose of the whole upanishad which is to teach the Knowledge of Shambhavi Mudra the terms opening, closing and half closing eyes refer to the three stages of Shambhavi Mudra. It says "citsvarūpoahamiti " that is the state you reach by the three steps. citsvarūpo'hamiti cannot be reached by different adjustment of the eyes. In the third verse it say that this is the doctrine that is taught to reach the absolute. One cannot take the instruction to refer to all meditations but in the context of what is taught in this upanishad, which is shambhavi Mudra.

Closed and open eyes have a very special technical meaning in this shambhava doctrine. Though i still think it is possible that there is an instruction somewhere in the shastras that to begin a normal meditation the eyes should be closed, just i did never find such an instruction. The general instructions in the Yogas shastras, what is recommend by the buddhist master, do clearly never imply to close your eyes. So i think that there are not too many, if any traditional teachers that do recommend closing your eyes. I don&#180;t think that i was not accepting another authority, i just never happened to meet or hear of any authority who would not recommend half closed eyes for a beginner at least, and for good reasons.

MahaHrada
29 April 2012, 09:24 AM
Namaste MahaHrada, devotee,

devotee, I honestly see no misintention here ...

Thank you both for directing my attention towards this Upanishad.
I am quite fascinated to study and learn more of this yoga.

Thank you both kindly.

praNAma

mana

By coincidence this Yoga Mudra is the heart of kashmir shaivaism :)

Summing up the discussion, Dr. B.N. Pandit further explained the Shaivite conception of beauty and characteristics of their aesthetic world view. He said, "Kashmir Shaivism is not based on rational thinking and argumentation alone. Its finer principles are based on direct revelation of the exactly correct truth regarding the nature and character of the real self of a person and the world around. Such a realization was the result of practice of a kind of Shivayoga known as the shambhavi mudra. This practice has been prevalent in the country right from the age of the Indus Valley civilization. The sage Yajnavalkya too has described the method of practicing the shambhavi mudra which has been referred to in the Gita as well. He said that the sage Durvasa was one of the original masters of this practice, whose disciple, Tryambakaditya was succeeded by a line of teachers of Kashmir Shaivism. Dr. Pandit expressed confidence that despite the present political turmoil in Kashmir, the tradition of the Trika system of philosophy shall continue unbroken in the future also.
http://ikashmir.net/unmesh/UnmeshII_16-17.html

Opening and closing of the eyes refers to the duality of Aham and Idam same article mentions this in another context. Unmesha and Nimesha contraction and expansion is another term used.

" The duality between 'aham' (I) and 'idam ' (this, the phenomenal world) is the cause of man's delusion and therefore misery. It is only when we realize that the whole universe is the manifestation of Shakti and nothing but Shakti exists, we can free ourselves from this delusion. This is what is called 'shakti sanchara' or the transmission of energy, and we see that it is this alone that works. We go beyond the duality and reach the transcendental stages. We find that Shakti is everything - tantra, mantra and yantra. We understand the mysteries of the 45 bijaksharas, like Shree Krishna Joo Kar did, who knew no Sanskrit but was a great devotee of Mother Sharika.

devotee
29 April 2012, 10:42 AM
It is the second verse it states the purpose of the whole upanishad which is to teach the Knowledge of Shambhavi Mudra the terms opening, closing and half closing eyes refer to the three stages of Shambhavi Mudra. It says "citsvarūpoahamiti " that is the state you reach by the three steps. citsvarūpo'hamiti cannot be reached by different adjustment of the eyes. In the third verse it say that this is the doctrine that is taught to reach the absolute. One cannot take the instruction to refer to all meditations but in the context of what is taught in this upanishad, which is shambhavi Mudra.

You have not understood it correctly, dear. It is all wrong ... please try to understand. I didn't want to go into word-by-word meaning of the verses as this thread is not for discussing "whether we should keep eyes closed or otherwise". The OP starts with this axiom that one can meditate with eyes closed which is true. Now, let me clarify your doubts once for all :

"Chitsvaroopohamiti" is not a state in the above verse. Please see what this verse says :

"Chitsvaroopohamiti sadA bhAvyan samyanga nimilitakshah kinchit unmilitakshIva antardrishtya bhrudharapari sacchidAnanda tejah kootroopam parbrahmaavalokayan tadroopo bhavati".

===>
What does Chitsvaroopahamiti mean :

Chit = Consciousness
svaroopoham = I am of the form of
iti = that alone

sadA bhAvayan = Always thinking
samyanga = fixed
nimilitAkshah = nimilita + akshah = closed eyes
Kinchit + unimilita+ Akshi + va = slightly (kinchit) + opened (unmilita) + Akshi (eyed ... (form changed to noun)) + va (Or) == Or keeping the eyes slightly opened

antardrshtayAbhrudahardupari = looking inwards on the point above the eyesbrows

SacchidAnanda = adjective for the Brahman
Tejah = Adjective for the Brahman
Parabrahman = Parabrahman
avalokayan = visualising
Tadroopo bhavati = becomes that roopa i.e. like Brahman

Complete meaning of the verse :

Keeping the eyes closed or slightly opened and meditating on "I am Consciousness alone", looking inwards on the point above the eyebrows and visualising SacchidAnada, Teja-svaroopa Parabrahman (the practitioner) becomes Tadroopa i.e. Brahman-svaroopa.

Closed half closed and open eyes have a very special technical meaning in this shambhava doctrine. Though i still think it is possible that there is an instruction somewhere in the shastras that to begin a normal meditation the eyes should be closed, just i did never find such an instruction.

Please refer above.

The general instructions in the Yogas shastras, what is recommend by the buddhist master, do clearly never imply to close your eyes. So i think that there are not too many, if any traditional teachers that do recommend closing your eyes.

There are a number of Buddhist schools and some of them advise closing the eyes while meditating.

Actually, the OP starts with the axiom that closed eyes meditation is valid and he wants to discuss "why close eyes ?" and not "whether we should close eyes duing meditation or not ?". So, this going tangent was not desirable.

OM

MahaHrada
29 April 2012, 12:15 PM
Chit here stands for vimarsha rupini i.e (idam) or reflection, and aham is prakasha that is splendour, svarupa is ones own innate form, so the mind is fixed on ones own self (svarupa) as comprising both, vimarsha and prakasha and the state transcending duality which in Shambhavi doctrine is the highest state:

" The duality between 'aham' (I) and 'idam ' (this, the phenomenal world) is the cause of man's delusion and therefore misery. It is only when we realize that the whole universe is the manifestation of Shakti and nothing but Shakti exists, we can free ourselves from this delusion. This is what is called 'shakti sanchara' or the transmission of energy, and we see that it is this alone that works. We go beyond the duality and reach the transcendental stages. We find that Shakti is everything - tantra, mantra and yantra. We understand the mysteries of the 45 bijaksharas, like Shree Krishna Joo Kar did, who knew no Sanskrit but was a great devotee of Mother Sharika.

citsvarūpo'hamiti sadā bhavayan samyaṅnimīlitākṣaḥ
ki&#241;cidunmīlitākṣo vā'ntardṛṣṭyā bhrūdaharādupari
saccidānandatejaḥkūṭarūpaṁ paraṁ brahmāvalokayan tadrūpo
bhavati || 2||
Advaja taraka upanishad

So in this introducing verse the author is already hinting at what the upanishad is all about, the literal translation is:

Always realizing "I am of the nature of Consciousness (cit)," with eyes completely shut or else with eyes somewhat open, by looking inward above the eyebrows - he, beholding the Absolute, the Supreme, in the form of a multitude of fires of Being Consciousness Bliss, assumes the appearance of luminosity.

There is an inner meaning in the shambhava doctrine which connects the opened eyes with the state of "idam" vimarsha or nimilana related to nimesha which is citsakti, and the closed eyes with the state of "aham" prakasha or unmilana related to unmesha.
Occurence of nimilana and unmilana opening and closing (of eyes) is called Krama Mudra a stage on the path to Shambhavi Mudra.

That the doctrine propounded in the advaja taraka upanishad is shambhavi beside shown by the secret terminology used, is also clearly stated in this verse:

śāmbhavīmudrā:

antarbāhyalakṣye dṛṣṭau nimeṣonmeṣavarjitāyāṁ satyaṁ
sāṁbhavī mudrā bhavati | tanmudrārūḍhaj&#241;āninivāsāt bhūmiḥ
pavitrā bhavati | taddṛṣṭyā sarve lokāḥ pavitrā bhavanti |
tādṛśaparamayogipūjā yasya labhyate so'pi mukto bhavati || 12||
Advaja taraka upanishad

When there is the vision of the External Sign and the Internal Sign, the eyes being destitute of the power of closing and opening - this is the real shambhavi mudra. Because of being a sojourn to knowers who have "mounted" this seal (mudra), the earth becomes purified. Through the vision of these adepts, all spheres (loka) become purified. He who is granted the possibility of paying homage to such great yogins is also delivered from the cycle of conditioned existence.

Chitsvarupam is a synonym of the shambhavi state, quote:

"To awake from the slumber under the influence of Maya, the Purusha conjointly with Prakriti has to undergo some mental drill and comprehend the implication of Buddhi (conception), Ahanakara (personal I or ego) and Manas (desire). Taken in reverse order, the desire actuates "I" ness and at the last stage conception of things becomes clear. Hence the Purusha awakenes by rejecting Maya and its five concomitents beginning with Time (Kala) etc, comes face to face with chitswaroopam resplendence or Shambhavi state and attains the Paramaishwarya or Self-dependence (Supreme bliss). This is the purport of Shaiva Darshan or Shaiva Monism as given in the "Shiva Sutra" and "Shiva Drishiti" on broad lines."
Abhinavagupta - the Philosopher
by Prof. K. N. Dhar
http://ikashmir.net/abhinavagupta/article2.html

Swami Lakshman joo on nimilana and unmilana Samadhi:
Nimilana samadhi is internal subjective samadhi. In your moving through these six states of turya, this samadhi becomes ever more firm. With the occurrence of krama mudra, nimilana samadhi is transformed into unmilana samadhi, which then becomes predominant. This is that state of extraverted samadhi, where you experience the state of samadhi at the same time you are experiencing the objective world. And when unmilana samadhi becomes fixed and permanent, this is the state of jagadananda.
http://universalshaivafellowship.org/usf/teachings_01ch16.html

Arthur Avalon on Citshakti and unmesha/nimesha synonym of nimilana/unmilana

The circle which represents the one Consciousness is. divided into "I" and "This" which are yet parts of the same figure. The "This" is at first only by degree and hazily (Dhyamala prayam) presented to the Aham like a picture just forming itself (Unmilitamatra-citrakalpam). For this reason it is said that there is emphasis on the Aham .... This is called the "Nimesha" or "closing of the eyes" of Shakti. ....

Then the Idam side becomes clear in the next evolved Ishvara Tattva in which the emphasis is therefore said to be on the "This" which the Aham subjectifies. This is the "Unmesha" or "opening of the eyes" state of Shakti; for this is the state of consciousness when it is first fully equipped to create and does so. The result again of this is the evolved consciousness called Shuddhavidya Tattva in which the emphasis is equal on the "I" and "This".

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tantra/sas/sas14.htm

yajvan
29 April 2012, 12:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme. If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?
It looks like this post has stimulated many ideas and insights on this matter. My questions are offered to allow us to go deeper and wider into the knowledge and nudge one's thinking, stimulate a POV, etc.

Let me offer the following on the question I posed. I am not suggesting I am the final authority on this matter, just a contributor and pass on what I have been taught or experienced.

There is no doubt that the Supreme fills every nook and cranny of this whole universe - both seen and unseen. Yet for us ( I should say for most) our experience of this Supreme is not readily apparent. Why so ? It is due to our awareness being engaged in the finite world of experiences, of 'this and that'. Our attention goes from one thing, or thought, to another and another. The finite is there to continually engage one's awareness and hence we are pre-occupied with the world of objects, thoughts, and the like.

So, one thing we can do to minimize the engagement with the surrounding world is to shut the eyes. We have minimized the stimulus ( but not completely). This then allows us to pay proper attention. If the Supreme is omnipresent then it too resides within us. What better place to look then within , the closest thing to us ?
Yet that said, it does not suggest the Supreme cannot be found outside of us , with the same attention paid when eyes are closed. But one needs to be mindful of where they are at in their development. For many the closing of the eyes is easy and within one's control to minimize the additional engagement of the world of 'this and that' - of difference, diversity. Yet if one's awareness is honed and developed one can encounter the Supreme while eyes are open and can be found between the interval of any two things i.e. two thoughts, two perceptions, two breaths, between the space of an object A and object B. This in-between ( madhya&#185;) condition is available to all; yet the one with practice and patience will find this.

But what is found there ? nirvikalpa, meaning not admitting an alternative , free from change or differences. Some say this is the entrance into turīya , the 4th. What 4th ? It is the next condition after wake, dream and sleep - the 4th then is this turīya which has the nature of nirvikalpa.

The wise say it is the finite level of consciousness remitting ( rejoining) back to its infinite status. It was never separate, it was just working within the finite levels of existence, non different then the infinite level of awareness, it was ~just on assignment~ into the level of existence of experiencing. Hence one can identify with the Supreme by inward facing.

When our awareness is outward facing ( some like to call pravṛtti&#185;) we can say it is engaged in creation, it is on assignment, of experiencing the world; Yet when it is inward facing ( some call nivṛtti&#185;) then one becomes absorbed ( over time) into this turīya , the 4th.

So, why then close the eyes ? It helps with the assimilation of rest, of calming the mind. Of allowing the 'gap' or madhya to appear, being in a restful repose and that of activity. As we said it can be found between two things; here it is the rest of the mind and also the alertness of the mind - that is, we are not asleep, but attentively restful.

praṇām

words

madhya - middlemost, standing between two
pravṛtti - moving onwards, application , use
nivṛtti - returning; ceasing from worldly acts , rest , repose
more on 'this and that' here at this HDF post : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82128&postcount=15

devotee
29 April 2012, 07:17 PM
Namaste Yajvan ji,

Thanks for your explanation. :)

I would like to mention here the technique of meditating on PraNava which is done by closing the eyes, the ears and the mouth. In this technique, the SAdhak uses his fingers to close these opening and concentrates on the PraNava sound resonating through various Chakras.

The basic idea behind closing the openings (the eyes, the ears etc.) is that the SAdhak is required to cut off from the outer distractions and focus on the object of meditation.

OM

yajvan
29 April 2012, 09:14 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; devotee

I would like to mention here the technique of meditating on PraNava which is done by closing the eyes, the ears and the mouth. In this technique, the SAdhak uses his fingers to close these opening and concentrates on the PraNava sound resonating through various Chakras.

The basic idea behind closing the openings (the eyes, the ears etc.) is that the SAdhak is required to cut off from the outer distractions and focus on the object of meditation.

What you say is true...yet there is one finer point to consider. If one is new to this practice and wishes to try it wthout a disiplined mind there will be little success. What is disciplined mind ? It is achieving one-pointed awareness before closing all the entry points.

Many a new aspirant reads how to do this and then begins the practice with focus and enthusiasm. Yet they find upon closing the air passages ( nose and mouth) they will waiting to breath again, only staying in this condition for say 30 seconds or perhaps 1 minute. The mind does not settle down and hence the possibility of nirvikalpa is passed by. The ~secret~ here to to gain the middle, madhya , first, then begin the practice.

praṇām

jasdir
04 May 2012, 03:00 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

praṇām

Because the single eye (Tenth Gate of our Body) through which one realizes supreme opens inwards, And it is situated in the mid of our two physical eyes like: o^o, Which is also said as Shiv-Nater.

That one may not get any confusion between the internal world and external world while meditating, that's why we are told to close our eyes while meditating. :)

_/\_Jasdir

anirvan
04 May 2012, 06:52 AM
so many thought had been put with references, but in my view,simple common sense will materialise the question.

Scientifically looking,the most forward part of eye-the CORNEA is very sensitive part of eye which needs constant lubrication.and this lubrication is maintained by periodic98-12times /minute) blinking of eye lid which swipe the tear film over it.this tear film aids the cornea getting oxygen from air.keep it open for long,it will burn,and still longer,it will become ULCER !So how is it simply possibly to meditate with open eyes for long time.and if you blink repeatedly,how all organs,brain comes to stand still???

Secondly if it happens that you attain deep meditation or samadhi, the autonomic control of brain over body goes just like after death. Then all organs go into ANATOMIC position naturally. for example eye lids remains in partially closed state,eye ball rotated upward and in.all muscle relaxed.

Thus above two rules show that in natural meditative state,we found the yogis with eyes turned up,lids closed partially.I think by whatever means one start the meditation,once he goes into deeper consciousness, the eye will assume the above mentioned position naturally as its the natural anatomical position. so why not start like this from begin? If samadhi will not happen,at least a powerful nidra-samadhi is assured