PDA

View Full Version : If we disable reps, can we have a system where users cannot offer reps?

wundermonk
01 May 2012, 12:12 PM
To Satay.

Eastern Mind
01 May 2012, 03:11 PM
To Satay.

Vannakkam wundermunk: As odd as it sounds, I like giving out rep points. It's just a simple way to appreciate the knowledge or insight someone has shared. To further the appreciation, sometimes I'll send a PM with a heartfelt Thank You. Same principle as acknowledging the blessing of a Guru by giving dakshina, or acknowledging the blessing of the moorthi in a temple by giving flowers or coins in appreciation. Its a method of appreciation. Once when another member specifically requested not to give him more points, I still did it, against his will. When he PMed me on it, I remember explaining how his message had really struck a chord with me.

Of course its not really necessary at all. Lots of times we see 'Thanks' in a response.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
01 May 2012, 06:58 PM
namaste wunder,

To Satay.

No, not really. I could create a new usergroup and set the properties on that usergroup to not allow reps. Anyone part of that group will not be able to give each other reps. Basically that means that no one will be able to give reps to anyone. That's not really what you want, I know.

kallol
01 May 2012, 07:40 PM
namaste wunder,

No, not really. I could create a new usergroup and set the properties on that usergroup to not allow reps. Anyone part of that group will not be able to give each other reps. Basically that means that no one will be able to give reps to anyone. That's not really what you want, I know.

Personally I think that would be good. rep is a distraction and motives for many to count it as accolades. As EM pointed out PMs are better means to acknowledge the insights.

I would love to move to that group if you create.

wundermonk
01 May 2012, 09:06 PM
namaste wunder,

My point is that as of now, the disable reps options is basically useless. If a user disables reps, he can still be awarded reps.

How about making the reps points invisible for users who disable reps?

devotee
01 May 2012, 11:10 PM
Why are we so much obsessed with reps or no reps, if it really doesn't matter to us ? I think, it is not the best but still a good tool to appreciate someone for his/her contribution.

Just forget it if you don't like it. What harm does it do ? :)

OM

satay
01 May 2012, 11:20 PM
How about making the reps points invisible for users who disable reps?

There is a bug in the software.

I can set your reps to zero if you want. I do that for my own reps. I do reset to zero once a month or so for mine. You want me to do the same for your account?

kallol
02 May 2012, 10:24 AM
If that is the first step I would opt for it. Eventually I would prefer this part to be taken out from my profile