PDA

View Full Version : Materialism and depression

Rudy
05 May 2012, 06:12 PM
I was feeling down today and I kept thinking about Materialism (the Philosophy not shopping) and the horror of that world view.

1. No meaning of life
2. The world is cold and heartless; no God exists
3. Objective morals do not exist without God, you can play along with the sham if you want to but it's all a sham according to Materialism
4. We are relatively evolved primates that are long past our shelf life, and are destroying the earth, we contribute nothing to the Earth.
5. All our thoughts, emotions, and anything in the mind is just chemical/electric reactions in the brain. What is you can be changed with surgery in the future probably.

As you can tell I find this philosophy very depressing I just had to get it out somewhere.

Do you think that the philosophy of Materialism can be linked to depression or is it just me?

I don't think most people who are materialists honestly stare into the void that it is, and understand it.

But that's just my opinion.

Eastern Mind
05 May 2012, 06:16 PM
I was feeling down today and I kept thinking about Materialism (the Philosophy not shopping) and the horror of that world view.

Vannakkam Rudy: Sounds like its time to stop thinking about materialism then, no?

Best wishes in moving awareness away from depression.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
05 May 2012, 07:53 PM
Namaste,

Negative thoughts enter the mind when there is a void, when there is lack of positive thoughts. Positive thoughts find it hard to appear when there is moving away from divinity. So, if one were to stay 'in tune' with the divine and be filled with positive thoughts, there is no room for negative thoughts. You can't have a new tenant in a house which has already been rented to someone else. Meditate on that and stop overindulging your beautiful thinking faculties in non-existent things. Moving away from the divine brings negative thoughts, which cause depression. Sounds simplistic, but I can't think of any other explanation.

Pranam.

c.smith
05 May 2012, 09:24 PM
Hari Om!

From Avadhuta Gita - The Song of the Ever-Free by Dattatreya Avadhuta

Ch 2, No. 7

"Ignorance cannot create any doubt in me. Why should I care about the waves of the mind? They appear and disappear like bubbles in water."

Depression is but a wave. It will pass.

Am far from implying that you are ignorant in the typical sense of the term.

I am Brahman!

Jai Jai Hanuman!

devotee
05 May 2012, 10:50 PM
Namaste Rudy,

1. No meaning of life
3. Objective morals do not exist without God, you can play along with the sham if you want to but it's all a sham according to Materialism
4. We are relatively evolved primates that are long past our shelf life, and are destroying the earth, we contribute nothing to the Earth.
5. All our thoughts, emotions, and anything in the mind is just chemical/electric reactions in the brain. What is you can be changed with surgery in the future probably.

As you can tell I find this philosophy very depressing I just had to get it out somewhere.

Do you think that the philosophy of Materialism can be linked to depression or is it just me?

I don't think most people who are materialists honestly stare into the void that it is, and understand it.

This all negative thoughts are arising due to our attachment to this world and to our body or the people around us. Let us refresh a few facts :

a) This world is not created by us. It doesn't exist because we want it to exist. There is some other power which is responsible for its creation and sustenance.

b) I am just passing through this world. My presence is too temporary and so are my all attachments to this world.

c) The world is what it is. Whether it remains so or it changes ... doesn't depend upon what I want.

Given the above facts, is it worthwhile to be too bogged down with these questions ? I don't think so. I must admit my limitations and don't try to control (and worry for ) what I cannot.

OM

Mana
06 May 2012, 12:06 AM
हरिः ओम्
Hello!

Namaste Rudy,

I think that you are 100% right!

Today's materialism/capitalism essentially is based upon the sale of dreams and desires, our Western economy is also based firmly in this philosophy too, via debt. Thus it also follows the same cycles!

http://almostbohemian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/carrot-on-a-stick2.jpg

This system works by stimulating desires within the minds of the people, desire that they genuinely believe to be, that which is needed to feel good: if I work hard to obtain that, once its mine I will be a God or at least approaching that.

Or, I am a God therefore I can take that, it is rightfully mine; thus, confirming to myself and showing the world that I am a God.

Once obtained, the native moves on to the next desire, as this type of self satisfaction is very short lived, leaving an underlying feeling of wretchedness which the native desperately wants to avoid and often remains in permanent activity to avoid thought in occurrence. This is of course, not true of every individual, and many find balance within this system simply ignoring the fluff.

But those of greater sensitivity, or lacking the aggressive competitive nature, are often left behind and even trampled upon by the heard.

Yoga and Hinduism teach us that by learning to discriminate the illusion from the necessity the worthy from the dross. We can maintain a balance in our emotional state, and can much better ignore all the extra sensory information.

Materialism works in exactly the opposite way; essentially, as you have wisely recognised, leading to cycles of depression in those who are sensitive.

I describe depression as a call from the subconscious to change ones direction, it informs us that we are not on our correct path or direction at that time; Rather like friction.

With all of this said, the material objects them selves are not a problem, it is the reasons for which we acquire them and the expectations we put on them, which are so over the top.

I personally have no television and an ad blocker on my computer browser; I find most advertising to be quite repulsive in every respect, but then, I am hypersensitive ...

I hope that your cloud passes soon Rudy, I think that you are thinking along the right lines in order to be freed from the American Dream.

It is worth noting that there are other body's which effect greatly our mood, we do just have to ride the waves some times.

This documentary is worth watching in full ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhxfArTAcfM)

Edward Bernays has been an influential figure in the manifestation of this state, a Guru for the corporations if you will ...

praNAma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

IcyCosmic
06 May 2012, 02:59 AM
You're right. Things like Malls are created for that very purpose, you walk in and you will see things bombarded at you from every corner, even if you walked in intending to buy nothing it is likely if you have money with you, you will leave with something purchased. I was watching a documentary where a Amish family from USA went to a city, and they were shocked, since they live such a simple lifestyle they were in the mall extremely uncomfortable, thinking its just a way to make you buy things to make you feel better, unneccesarily. So on & so forth, anyway
thats why we use the lords guidance to detach ourselves from such false pleasure, so we move forward
fill your mind with posotivity and happiness!

Caltha
06 May 2012, 12:22 PM
Namaste Rudy,

You asked if materialism (the philosophy) and depression go together. I think they do. I think that if you look at everything and think that materialism explains it you might quickly become depressed. And I think that if you were depressed already and then started staring at the void of materialism your depression would be intensified.

So depression and materialism would each reinforce the other.

I think that both depression and materialism are forms of avidya.

What has helped you escape from depression in the past?

best wishes,

Caltha

Eastern Mind
06 May 2012, 02:55 PM
Vannakkam: Back to the original question ... Yes, I think there are several philosophies that could be linked to depression, materialism being one, and Existentialism being another.

I think we owe it to ourselves to avoid philosophies, people, and circumstances that lead the individual self towards depression. That is ... if at all possible.

Rudy, if it helps at all, please know that you're not alone. Most normal people have gone through bouts of depression. I once had an extended one from what is commonly called teacher burnout. Hopefully, you're feeling somewhat better by now.

Aum Namasivaya

Rudy
06 May 2012, 03:00 PM
It is funny how I don't even have to believe in something for it to bring me down. Logic can not have complete control at all times :roll eyes:

In the end what helped was talking to a good friend at 9 o'clock at night about it.

It seems to me that my belief in the Lord is linked to happiness. As doubt rises, my peace of mind a happiness takes a tumble off a steep cliff. I don't know if I sound kind of... crazy if I say that, but it's what happens.

Kismet
23 May 2012, 01:12 AM
Matter and spirit are the same. There is no difference, ultimately speaking. :)

Kismet
23 May 2012, 01:16 AM

1. No meaning of life

When you give in to the apparent meaninglessness of life you find true meaning.

When you see that the world is cold and heartless, then you find the TRUE God who exists.

In so much as you play with the sham and do your part in the theatre production, you understand the do's and dont's.

When you realize you are a spiritual being having a physical experience of life you set evolutionary theory at small price.

And lastly, once you understand the body intimately you then really discover the soul....