PDA

View Full Version : Eggs?

IcyCosmic
06 May 2012, 03:10 AM
Quick question, do you guys consider eggs as meat? I've been vegeterian for a little over 17 years now- ever since I've started going to the gym again I've increased my egg intake (before i had it once every couple of months) - would just like to know what the scriptures or you have to say about eggs...if its considered meat I will drop it henceforth

Shanti29
06 May 2012, 03:29 AM
Quick question, do you guys consider eggs as meat? I've been vegeterian for a little over 17 years now- ever since I've started going to the gym again I've increased my egg intake (before i had it once every couple of months) - would just like to know what the scriptures or you have to say about eggs...if its considered meat I will drop it henceforth
Chicken abortions :D If you're 18, do mean you had meat as a baby or toddler? Not being snarky, just curious.

Eastern Mind
06 May 2012, 07:07 AM
Vannakkam icy: It depends on who you ask. Some people view unfertilized eggs, especially, just as a byproduct. Others (like me) view eggs as meat, so I never eat them.

Vegans include dairy in the same category. (I don't.)

So how does eating them make you feel? Most people get a sense when they eat something. Some don't.

Good luck with making an easy choice, either way. :)

Aum Namasivaya

ahab
06 May 2012, 08:15 AM
Yes... According to me.

PARAM
06 May 2012, 08:16 AM
Egg is made under the womb of non mammals from their blood and meat, it is pure liquid flesh, a foetus outside body that is covered with its nature safety for being hatched and that transform into real living being.

It is not easy to quit a habit of sense (इन्द्रिय सुख) that includes 'sense of taste'. I was a fond of eating egg and flesh, but I requested Maa Durga to save me from all wrong doings, and by her grace I started hating all tamsik food. You should pray your deity to save you and you will be shown true light, it is not in the hands of human.

devotee
06 May 2012, 11:20 PM
Namaste Icy,

There are some esteemed members here who are so strong against being non-vegetarian. However, as I have already written on this forum a number of times, a majority of Hindus including so-called high-caste Hindus in India are non-vegetarians. So, you have to decide what works for you. Yes, beef-eating is something which no Hindu accepts. If you can avoid that, it is better.

Eggs which cannot bring babies are a waste if not eaten. So, you are not killing any life by eating it. However, if someone wants to see very strictly, it is a non-vegetarian food. So, again, it is you who should decide what suits you.

Eating meat or abstaining from meat doesn't make you a good Hindu or otherwise. It is your behaviour with your fellow human beings which is more important.

OM

IcyCosmic
07 May 2012, 08:17 AM
Chicken abortions :D If you're 18, do mean you had meat as a baby or toddler? Not being snarky, just curious.

No, I was vegeterian, till I was 14. I told my dad I wanted meat at that point, after about just under a year I started to disagree with it, didn't feel right and I stopped.

IcyCosmic
07 May 2012, 08:17 AM
Vannakkam icy: It depends on who you ask. Some people view unfertilized eggs, especially, just as a byproduct. Others (like me) view eggs as meat, so I never eat them.

Vegans include dairy in the same category. (I don't.)

So how does eating them make you feel? Most people get a sense when they eat something. Some don't.

Good luck with making an easy choice, either way. :)

Aum Namasivaya

I'm not entirely sure...unfortunately. Finding it difficult to make a decision.

Eastern Mind
07 May 2012, 09:45 AM
Vannakkam icy: Maybe you could do like what people do with suspected allergies. Go off the food for a month or so, then eat it, and see how you react. Of course with allergies (Celiac's, lactose intolerance) the reaction is physical. With something like this the reaction would be more emotional /spiritual.

Just a suggestion.

Aum Namasivaya

IcyCosmic
07 May 2012, 10:01 AM
I only eat it about once a month anyway? sometimes even once every 2 or 3 months. I feel normal when I eat omelette or something, but with boiled egg I feel slightly weird like I'm eating something wrong

Eastern Mind
07 May 2012, 10:05 AM
Vannakkam: As a kid I hated eggs ... we had them on the family farm. I just found them gross. Grandfather would crack open a raw one, and take it directly like that. Not sure if he enjoyed eating it, or was just trying to gross us out. Most likely a litle of each.

Aum Namasivaya

sva
24 March 2013, 12:46 PM
...... I feel normal when I eat omelette or something, but with boiled egg I feel slightly weird like I'm eating something wrong

You have your answer already!

For me personally, I think so called 'free range' eggs, from an open farm where hens / cocks roam freely have the 'potential' for life, and are therefore non-veg. Also, in my personal experience, boiled eggs as a protein source are unbeatable.

Jay Sri Krishna

Adhvagat
25 March 2013, 11:53 PM
I'm improving my diet right now. I even considered start eating egg whites, but ricotta cheese and whey protein supplement is doing the trick.

Eastern Mind
26 March 2013, 07:19 AM
Vannakkam: For cooking, we use an egg replacer, Celimix brand, as its also gluten free. It works quite well. It's rare that we make muffins or cakes, just for birthday parties, but it's nice to be able to make eggless cakes.

Aum Namasivaya

sapansaxena
19 April 2013, 12:58 AM
Namaste!!!
I think many people, including my father, consider eggs as non-meat.
He has given up meat since some 10 years, but because of his health problems was asked by the doctors to increase his protein intake, chicken to be precise.
He consulted some forums and websites, and agreed to eating white eggs(minus the yellow part).