PDA

View Full Version : I was told to become a Hindu.....

cuddledkitty
07 May 2012, 08:36 PM
......But i tell my friend to become a Muslim? As a Hindu there is not much emphasis placed on converting people to your views but to respect them. My friend is a Christian and he intends on changing religions but the issue is not him, the issue is me. I for some reason think he makes a better Muslim then a Christian or a Hindu or anything else. I do not know what i should be doing for him if he seeks spiritual advice from me. He does not have a high opinion of Sanatana Dharma and calls it "the cowards way out" referring to its openness regarding other religions. Should i be trying to push him to the doctrines and teachings of Sanatana Dharma or push him elsewhere? I know this is awkward but i am an instinctive person and i do not think i just do what i immediately find is appropriate. This oddly felt appropriate despite the delayed awkward rationalization of my actions as of now. Laugh while you can but i just feel my actions were right at the moment but not sure if they are faithful.

I strongly dislike Evangelicals who use the "convert or burn in hell" approach regarding spiritual differences and conversion. I do not wish to become like this so i am quite open minded when it comes to outside faiths and i am not frightened by them and embrace them with open arms (if not kisses). So i felt i took the right approach and simply gave non bias help to a close friend and not overly religious badgering. :confused:

wundermonk
07 May 2012, 10:31 PM
I for some reason think he makes a better Muslim then a Christian or a Hindu or anything else.

Hello cuddledkitty:

I would love to have your views on the following:

(1)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Muslim than a Xian/Hindu/anything else?

(2)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Xian than a Muslim/Hindu/anything else?

(3)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Hindu than a Muslim/Xian/anything else?

(4)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better "anything else" than a Muslim/Xian/Hindu?

I am asking this because you mentioned this in your own Opening Post - see quote above.

AFAIK, good/bad qualities/personalities/traits transcend religious/racial barriers but I get the impression you do not believe so from the OP.

Please correct me and set the record straight if I am wrong.

kallol
07 May 2012, 10:50 PM
I would suggest him to go through some books of each of the paths to find what suits him.

devotee
07 May 2012, 11:13 PM
Let him read Bhagwad Gita, Q'uran and the Bible and decide what appeals to him. Let him choose the religion depending upon the scripture he chooses.

OM

cuddledkitty
08 May 2012, 12:23 AM
Hello cuddledkitty:

I would love to have your views on the following:

(1)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Muslim than a Xian/Hindu/anything else?

(2)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Xian than a Muslim/Hindu/anything else?

(3)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better Hindu than a Muslim/Xian/anything else?

(4)What attributes/personalities/qualities can a person have that will make him a better "anything else" than a Muslim/Xian/Hindu?

I am asking this because you mentioned this in your own Opening Post - see quote above.

AFAIK, good/bad qualities/personalities/traits transcend religious/racial barriers but I get the impression you do not believe so from the OP.

Please correct me and set the record straight if I am wrong.

(1) He is a very firm believer of Abrahamic religions like i once was before i just became a Hindu but kept the non conflicting Islamic/Christian rituals. He is a strong believer in hierarchy regarding spiritually and his universal believe in unequality. This transfers to all aspects of his life including emotionally and spiritually. Islam fulfills his regard for being in a more "pure" faith instead of something heavily manipulated and has become apart of the new "take what you like" religious movement.

(2) I really have not a clew regarding Taoism as its something i never even remotely dwelled into.

(3) As a Hindu a peaceful dedicated freedom and understanding is required. You must have a more broad universal opening to others and differences to accept a more broader set of believes. As my close friend said "if you go wrong with being a Hindu then your out of all options".

(4) He has a strong narrow minded believe that is only compatible with his teachings, which focus on a Abrahamic theology of god and a routine spiritual practice which fits into his obsessive behavior. Along with his anti-idolatrous feeling towards Hindu's and his disliking towards asian theologies and their more universal teachings that permit far more actions and beliefs. My friend just dont regard Asian religions as real religions in which we all know are mostly philosophies.

Hard to describe why i feel this way about him but he is more of a firm believer in super strict doctrines and teachings and hates anything like Dharmic doctrines. So i have tried steering him towards something that could let him keep his philosophies without making him feel uncomfortable and also letting him preserve his previous Abrahamic faith in another form (Islam).

cuddledkitty
08 May 2012, 12:26 AM
Let him read Bhagwad Gita, Q'uran and the Bible and decide what appeals to him. Let him choose the religion depending upon the scripture he chooses.

OM

He has read the Bible and Qur'an and the Smriti (something not overly spiritual) and i tried pushing him to the Bhagavad gita text but he wouldnt hear anymore of it. :(

Purana
08 May 2012, 01:26 AM
I think if your friend had already chosen, wish his well on his spiritual path.
As long as the religion that he believes in makes him feel good, a better person. Then the religion is good. :)

devotee
08 May 2012, 01:34 AM
He has read the Bible and Qur'an and the Smriti (something not overly spiritual) and i tried pushing him to the Bhagavad gita text but he wouldnt hear anymore of it. :(

What is the problem then ? Let him be happy with it ! Many paths are there in this world because there is a different need for everyone. Everyone is not at the same stage of spiritual journey. It appears that he is at a stage where only Abrahimic religions would suit him.

Why discuss with a person who has his eyes and ears closed ? You are unnecessarily wasting your time.

OM

cuddledkitty
08 May 2012, 01:43 AM
What is the problem then ? Let him be happy with it ! Many paths are there in this world because there is a different need for everyone. Everyone is not at the same stage of spiritual journey. It appears that he is at a stage where only Abrahimic religions would suit him.

Why discuss with a person who has his eyes and ears closed ? You are unnecessarily wasting your time.

OM

Well he is my friend so anytime with him isnt a waste for me unless we discuss which version of Batman is better then id consider that a waste of time but i feel like i could have done more or i am obligated to do something for him.

Mana
08 May 2012, 02:03 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste cuddledkitty,

Were you told to become a Hindu?

Although I should not make light of a serious matter, I can't resist; you could tell your friend that:

"It is the way of the Cow herder, and not the way of a coward" ...

Thus your friend may have misheard or misunderstood something very fundamental.

Now, on to things more serious:

Perhaps your friend could gain wisdom and light by examining The Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali, to learn how to settle ones own fear; before proceeding to examine any other spiritual doctrine. This fear is to my mind, self evident when one uses such words as coward, this denotes an imbalance of ones prana.

These sutras teach one how to practise any doctrine with success, by becoming balanced mentally before approaching the text.

If this is to advanced for their spiritual understanding, then maybe Hatha yoga will help, this will prepare them for a greater understanding yet to come.

To approach the Quran with such an aggressive attitude; will most certainly lead to both their being mislead, and a huge misinterpretation of the text.

praNAma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

wundermonk
08 May 2012, 03:18 AM
(1) He is a very firm believer of Abrahamic religions like i once was before i just became a Hindu but kept the non conflicting Islamic/Christian rituals. He is a strong believer in hierarchy regarding spiritually and his universal believe in unequality. This transfers to all aspects of his life including emotionally and spiritually. Islam fulfills his regard for being in a more "pure" faith instead of something heavily manipulated and has become apart of the new "take what you like" religious movement.

He is free to interpret Islam in any way he wants, but that will not go unchallenged on a Hindu Message Board. Sorry.

Perhaps because you are a recent convert (?) to Hinduism (?) from Islam (?), you still have some nice tendencies towards Islam. Islam is not "pure" in any sense of the term.

(3) As a Hindu a peaceful dedicated freedom and understanding is required. You must have a more broad universal opening to others and differences to accept a more broader set of believes. As my close friend said "if you go wrong with being a Hindu then your out of all options".

No. A Hindu is not someone who will let his beliefs be trampled upon by all and sundry. As you mention, your friend does not have a good impression of Dharmic philosophies [more on this later] so, why would you quote him (assuming it is the same person) in your support of Hinduism? And also, not everything goes in Hinduism. That is a newagey thing that gets many Abrahamics interested because they are used to a straitjacket...

(4)Along with his anti-idolatrous feeling towards Hindu's and his disliking towards asian theologies and their more universal teachings that permit far more actions and beliefs. My friend just dont regard Asian religions as real religions in which we all know are mostly philosophies.

Many things here. Firstly, Hinduism is not universal. Chrsitianity, Islam and Judaism and HINDUISM cannot all be right at the same time.

Next, as I indicated to you already, Muslims commit more shirk and idolatry [at least 5 times a day, if one is a strict Muslim] than a Hindu could think of [many Hindus I know visit a temple once a week?].

Next, and this has got me intrigued. What is a "real religion" and what is a "philosophy". Do you think Sanatana Dharma is a "real religion"?

Hard to describe why i feel this way about him but he is more of a firm believer in super strict doctrines and teachings and hates anything like Dharmic doctrines.

Stay away from him. Assuming he knows you have converted to Hinduism from Islam, AND if he takes his Islam seriously, I can only suggest - stay away from him for your own good. ;)

sankar
08 May 2012, 03:31 AM
I was told to become a Hindu
kitty, so its not by your choice you became hindu? :(

sudhumravarna
08 May 2012, 07:39 AM
Well he is my friend so anytime with him isnt a waste for me unless we discuss which version of Batman is better then id consider that a waste of time but i feel like i could have done more or i am obligated to do something for him.

Namaste,
In that case you can advise him to reflect on what is the most disrespecting thing or grossly unappealing aspect of his current religion , check out to find where it is solved. I think Dharmic tradition being broad;) , they can offer some help. But Sorry no conversion game here, it is up to him to discover and find for himself, who are we to ask him to "love, believe and stick to it" . If he comes to terms with his broad understanding :bowdown: then it is good for him and also us. Who wants problems:po: with unhappy un-understanding converts who would end up spewing venom spreading lies :mad:. I think it surmises the essence that he is free to accept the fact apples and oranges both are fruits and both exist in the planet :gotcha: . If this is an idea for him he can think of Dharmic traditions.

cuddledkitty
08 May 2012, 11:38 AM
kitty, so its not by your choice you became hindu? :(

Hinduism is like my marriage, i had no other options. I did choose Hinduism but i was forced by myself to do so. I am spiritual and if i disband a religion i will no doubt find another and the only religion that fulfilled my beliefs was Hinduism so i had to become a Hindu or become an atheist or make up my own religion(losers do this).