PDA

View Full Version : Meditation for Concentration

IcyCosmic
10 May 2012, 03:55 PM
I have some really crucial exams next week, and I want to Meditate for studying this week (concentration) and carrying them out well next week. I don't want to delve too deep into it, because of the time frame....

would sitting in a straight, relaxed posture, eyes closed, fixated towards the centre, chanting Aum, do the trick?

Aum namah Śivāya
10 May 2012, 08:31 PM
I have some really crucial exams next week, and I want to Meditate for studying this week (concentration) and carrying them out well next week. I don't want to delve too deep into it, because of the time frame....

would sitting in a straight, relaxed posture, eyes closed, fixated towards the centre, chanting Aum, do the trick?

Namaste,

Try the Hang Sau technique (http://www.ananda.org/meditation/support/techniques/hong-sau/) as taught by Yogananda. I found that this helps me to keep focused the best.

Also, you may try tuning into one of God's aspects, such as Peace, Love, or Joy. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

OM

Mana
10 May 2012, 11:27 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

My advice would be to meditate at sunrise, after washing but before eating or drinking. Take the time to
get yourself into the correct state of mind for the day, doing what ever works best for you; use the time remaining in the morning to revise.
Meditate at sun set also and use the calm that you create in order to sleep early, so as to facilitate the early rise.

That which is between you eyebrows is currently focused on the work at hand; this will help that to remain clear.
Giving you an excellent state of mind with perfect poise, this will be reflected in your work.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

c.smith
11 May 2012, 12:30 AM
Hari Om!

Yes, by all means keep it simple.

A question however. Have you been initiated into the Saraswati Mantra? Even if not, seeing Her in your heart while practicing your same technique should produce some favorable result. Perhaps Ganesha is more to your liking? A gentle surrender is all that is needed.

Best of luck in all your ventures.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Eastern Mind
11 May 2012, 06:57 AM
Vannakkam Icy: My advice is different. It's from watching a lot of devoted Hindus here, before exams. They come to our temple and beseech Ganesha for help in remembering, clarity of mind, etc. Out temple gets a few more younger devotees right around exam time. Its nice to see when the youth actually believe in the Power of our Lord Ganesha. A few have told me later how much it helped, and practically credited their success to Him.

I'm not sure what your take on temple worship is, but I certainly believe it works. I'm not familiar with London temples, A temple like the London Srimurugan temple in the east end will have a separate shrine to Ganesha, and if you go on a down time, you can most likely make contact.

The first learning (Vidyarambha samskara) done at Navarathri time to Maa Saaraswati is another indicator of how praying to our Hindu Gods works for learning.

http://www.awgp.org/weoffer/Sacramental_rites/VidyarambhaSanskar/

Ganesha isn't called 'Lord of Categories' (learning, memorization) or 'Remover of Obstacles' (help with exams) for just no reason. Of course you should study, reflect, and perhaps most of all, get a good night's sleep the evenings before exams.

Good luck!

Aum Namasivaya

silence_speaks
13 June 2012, 07:49 AM
:) Concentration is directly proportional to the "interest" in the subject.
The mental "Attitude" decides our concentration level.

Once a mother complained to me about her kid ... she said "he does not have any concentration" ... and then I observed him ... when watching TV if you speak to him ... he wont even listen!! Thats concentration.

We concentrate on things we are interested in.
If I want to do somethign else, but am forced to do "This Study" then that itself means there is distraction.

So Distraction has to be handled not by again and again bringing back the mind to the subject ... but by setting the mental attitude right ... "I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANYTHING ELSE , BUT THIS"... Set this attitude correctly in the mind.

"I WANT TO DO THIS" ... firmly tell you mind this.

The mind is simply an instrument. it needs to behave for you. So if you allow "ah, yes ... that would be better ... but i have to do this ... " kind of attitude ... mind will take that and keep pinging all sorts of distractions ! so obviously its your own suggestion that the mind is following.
its an instrument, it does what we suggest.

silence_speaks
13 June 2012, 07:52 AM
In other words ... mind will do what you want it to do ... but dont give it multiple suggestions ... on one hand i suggest "This is boring" and then another hand i suggest "That is better" and now i sit down to "Study" ...

Give the Right suggestion to mind. Give it only one suggestion.

I dont care which is better ... I dont care which is boring ... I am Doing this ... and have nothing to do with anything else for the next 2 or 3 hours. Convey this to mind firmly and be clear about this attitude ... and then start your study.

if mind raises a few distractions inbetween still ... brush them aside firmly.

silence_speaks
13 June 2012, 07:58 AM
Do we see how this is ?

There is only one way to bring mind into control as per Bhagavad Gita: abhyasa of Vairagya.
Vairagya here is detachment from all the things other than what i am supposed to do.

say "I do not want it now"

totally contended to do "just This" ...
with that attitude sit down for study.

That study is meditation itself.

Amrut
23 June 2012, 11:36 AM
apart form traditional chanting of mantras, if you want to calm your mind, so that you can concentrate naturally, I have written an auto suggestion

http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/2009/02/autosuggestion-for-relaxation.html

Hope this helps.