PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Equinox
14 May 2012, 05:51 AM
Hi...

Guess its time to introduce myself.... :) I'm extremely glad to have found this forum where anyone(from anywhere) can freely discuss and reaffirm their doubts and views on Hinduism. Its just amazing, to me especially, since i'm very interested in my religion and in anything that has to do with it.

I was born into a highly westernised Hindu family. That statement, I guess, is enough to give you guys an idea of where my sentiments are coming from and also the reason behind my deep fascination with Hinduism.

My parents, albeit Hindu, aren't exactly very religious. Not that they aren't religious at all, they are, but only to an extent. I, on the other hand, was always aware of the fact that I am Hindu but never really had the chance or reason to learn more about it. Only a few years ago(in my early teens) did i realise that Hinduism is the eternal religion that has always existed and all I had to do was delve deeper into it. :Cool: Being born a Hindu made it easier. I just had to embrace it.

Realising that Hinduism is so large and infinite in its customs and traditions, i've spent lots of time researching and reading up on it. Over the last few years i've acquired an extensive library of books on Hinduism, including of course, the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita. This shocked my parents...haha, they never had the slightest idea that I out of everyone would have an interest so deep in my religion. As far as I know, none of my Hindu friends or relatives in my age group seem to be interested in Hinduism. Needless to say, my parents and relatives seem to be very proud and supportive of my quest towards rediscovering Hinduism. And it just seems that the more I discover, the more there is left to be discovered. LOL

I guess I have what you'd call an insatiable curiosity and unending love towards Hinduism. The keen sense of depth, at so young an age, I would perhaps attribute to my zodiac sign Scorpio, lol, it says we are very deep, even at a very young age and very interested in religion too.

Anyway, im 20 y.o and im from Malaysia. My family is Saivite :) and we follow the Saiva Siddhanta sect. But, as usual, we pray to all Hindu Gods and Goddesses and even to Buddha... My grandmother even has a small statue of Virgin Mary in her huge altar among the many Hindu Gods and Goddesses(this liberalism, she says, is due to her education in a Catholic convent during the British colonial era).

In a nutshell, i'm on an exciting and never-ending journey towards rediscovering this beautiful and ancient religion of my ancestors, and HDF only makes the journey more interesting with its many wise members. Thank you... phew! Guess i'll stop here!

PS: Forgive me if my intro was too long, just thought of doing it now since i've been putting it away for quite some time. :o

wundermonk
15 May 2012, 05:10 AM
PS: Forgive me if my intro was too long, just thought of doing it now since i've been putting it away for quite some time. :o

Welcome!

Dont worry about the long intros. It makes HDF more interesting. :)

Eastern Mind
15 May 2012, 07:14 AM
Vannakkam Equinox: Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay. Which area of Malaysia are you in?

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
15 May 2012, 07:24 AM
Welcome!

Maya

PARAM
15 May 2012, 07:53 AM
Welcome, no need to feel sorry. Learning about Hinduism never ends, it is very deep.

Mana
15 May 2012, 11:01 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste Equinox,

Welcom to HDF; very nice to meet you, what a wonderful introduction.
I am sure that your perspective and point of view will be greatly appreciated.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Equinox
15 May 2012, 09:56 PM
Wundermonk: Thank you for your kind words! :)

Eastern Mind: Vannakkam and thank you! I'm sure i'll enjoy my stay here. I'm
from the capital, Kuala lumpur. I gather you have acquaintances
here? :)

Maya: Thank you! :)

Param: Thank you! Yes I definitely agree with you. :)

Mana: Namaste and thank you for the kind words! Nice meeting you too!
:)

devotee
15 May 2012, 11:12 PM
Welcome Equinox ? May I ask why this peculiar name ?

OM

Equinox
16 May 2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks Devotee.

I chose that because it has a deeper spiritual meaning than the usual definition.

The spring (or vernal) equinox marks the beginning of spring after a long cold winter, like light and progress overcoming darkness and degeneration, just like good overcoming evil ( or the Devas overcoming the Asuras).

And from then on the days become longer until the autumnal equinox, where the days become shorter and the nights become longer ( this symbolises our journey into facing our own inner darkness and overcoming it) until the next vernal equinox. It's an endless cycle in other words.

Equinoxes, in my opinion, are like points of balance. It's also represented in the Churning of the Milky Ocean by the Devas and Asuras. I hope you realise how it's connected. :)

And finally, even the Angkor Wat was designed in such a way that the Sun rises to crown the pinnacle of the main tower during the vernal equinox. This symbolises Lord Indra (as the Sun), rising into the sky to his abode in Mount Meru (symbolised by Angkor Wat) as the King of the Heavens.

There's much more spritual meaning to it i'm sure :) . I could have chosen any name but decided to use this one.

Eastern Mind
16 May 2012, 06:59 AM
Eastern Mind: Vannakkam and thank you! I'm sure i'll enjoy my stay here. I'm
from the capital, Kuala lumpur. I gather you have acquaintances
here? :)

Vannakkam: Yes. My wife was there for a week or so in 1982, I know people here who are from there, and yes, even a few there. One of these cold Canadian winters ... It beckons. I would go out of KL though ... more of a small town guy. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
16 May 2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks Devotee.

I chose that because it has a deeper spiritual meaning than the usual definition.

The spring (or vernal) equinox marks the beginning of spring after a long cold winter, like light and progress overcoming darkness and degeneration, just like good overcoming evil ( or the Devas overcoming the Asuras).

And from then on the days become longer until the autumnal equinox, where the days become shorter and the nights become longer ( this symbolises our journey into facing our own inner darkness and overcoming it) until the next vernal equinox. It's an endless cycle in other words.

Equinoxes, in my opinion, are like points of balance. It's also represented in the Churning of the Milky Ocean by the Devas and Asuras. I hope you realise how it's connected. :)

And finally, even the Angkor Wat was designed in such a way that the Sun rises to crown the pinnacle of the main tower during the vernal equinox. This symbolises Lord Indra (as the Sun), rising into the sky to his abode in Mount Meru (symbolised by Angkor Wat) as the King of the Heavens.

There's much more spritual meaning to it i'm sure :) . I could have chosen any name but decided to use this one.

That is great. Good choice!

Maya

Equinox
17 May 2012, 12:31 AM
Vannakkam EM: Ic... I've many, many relatives and family friends in Canada too. Most of them reside in Toronto and Winnipeg. It's a wonderful place for Hindus I guess.

Maya: Thanks!

Ramakrishna
20 May 2012, 11:23 PM
Namaste Equinox,

Welcome to HDF. I feel strong empathetic connections with your introductory post and I look forward to future learning and discussing with you.

Jai Sri Ram

Equinox
22 May 2012, 01:29 AM
Thank you Ramakrishna! Yes that would be great.:)