PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads-up about oil lamps on Ekadasi

Jainarayan
16 May 2012, 09:01 AM
Today is Ekadasi. It occurred to me that for those who use vegetable oil instead of ghee in lamps, don't use vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is soybean oil and/or corn oil. The former is a legume, the latter is a grain, and prohibited on Ekadasi. I haven't made ghee in a long time, so I've been using olive oil, and I even tried coconut oil, which has a nice fragrance. I take only minimal amounts of fruit and dairy on Ekadasi, and shun anything that may come in contact with oil... it is most likely vegetable oil.

Divine Kala
19 May 2012, 09:29 PM
Today is Ekadasi. It occurred to me that for those who use vegetable oil instead of ghee in lamps, don't use vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is soybean oil and/or corn oil. The former is a legume, the latter is a grain, and prohibited on Ekadasi. I haven't made ghee in a long time, so I've been using olive oil, and I even tried coconut oil, which has a nice fragrance. I take only minimal amounts of fruit and dairy on Ekadasi, and shun anything that may come in contact with oil... it is most likely vegetable oil.

This doesn't necessarily apply in Australia. Most vegetables oils tell you what they're made from and we don't generally have soybean oil. Most of our vegetable oils are things like canola and sunflower oil.

Sahasranama
19 May 2012, 10:00 PM

Do you also like to eat your oil lamps? ;)

Jainarayan
20 May 2012, 12:24 PM
Do you also like to eat your oil lamps? ;)

Lol, no... but I'm a little obsessive compulsive about things. :D Point taken. :)