PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise ...

Mana
19 May 2012, 11:56 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

I am interested to know how many here among us get up before sunrise to welcome the Sun.

This has become an essential part of my practis, a very important part of my routine as this allows me to balance myself for the day.

I wish that I had been taught this from a young age, maybe I needed all these years, to understand just how much I needed this?

Any thoughts?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

charitra
19 May 2012, 01:32 PM
हरिः ओम्
I wish that I had been taught this from a young age, maybe I needed all these years to learn who much I needed this?
Growing up, I watched my father doing a daily surya namaskar without an exception, calling surya as prathyksha daivam ( ?visible divine figure). Alas I didnt learn that amazing quality from him.

Maya3
19 May 2012, 02:53 PM
I wish, but nope, as soon as I get up I head for the coffee pot.

I'm sure it is wonderful to do that in the morning though.

Maya

saidevo
19 May 2012, 08:06 PM
namaste everyone.

Check this enlightening hymn on sUryadeva:
http://sanskrit.safire.com/pdf/Suryashtakam.pdf
http://vedangjyotish.com/AstroRemedies/Suryashtakam.htm
http://spiritualsoul.net/group/mantra/forum/topics/suryashtakam-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQueAgxcwd0

wundermonk
19 May 2012, 09:16 PM
I am interested to know how many here among us get up before sunrise to welcome the Sun.

At least today morning I performed the Surya Namaskar.

I used to be regular but not of late. Need to become more energetic/disciplined.

devotee
19 May 2012, 10:39 PM
Namaste Mana,

I normally get much earlier than Sunrise. There is no time as good as Morning in a day.

OM

IcyCosmic
20 May 2012, 03:39 AM
Namaste Mana, I'm trying but I fail everyday to no avail - any tips?

Mana
20 May 2012, 08:16 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy, All,

It is worth bearing in mind that you are effectively resetting your body clock when doing this; initially you will have symptoms resembling
jet lag as your thyroid and pineal glands readjust.

My evening meditation and mantra is essential in assuring that I sleep early; this makes the morning routine so much easer, as we struggle
less and less to get started. I get up wash and then practis my mantra, before doing anything else, this has now become an unbreakable rule
for my self, well most of the time ;) , but to be honest during life's easier moments, this has become a real pleasure and not a task at all; a
source of divine energy, ojas; vitality.

Previously having suffered from insomnia I used to use the night time to meditate; by that I mean that I evaluated analysed and consider
all that had happened during the day. Change started to happen upon realising that it was the calm time alone that I was seeking, and
that this calm time, when acquired in the morning is so much more efficient having a positive effect upon the entire day.

Since becoming set into this rhythm; sleep at night has become much easier and above all, much more natural. As I am feeling much more
synchronised with the Sun, Moon the Earth and all of natures rhythms.

I take the time in the morning to examine the planetary positions, as I like to feel that I am in resonance with them; the more that see how
the ruts that we get into, are reflections of these celestial body's, the deeper my belief in God becomes, the freer and more connected I feel;
in the knowledge that I am one with it all.

devotee you are quite right; I think that I might start getting up a little earlier, this would allow me the time to do a little more before work
and maybe venture out to watch the sun rise.

Thank you saidevo; I shall make it my mornings practis to translate this hymn; how very beautiful it is to hear it sung.
Wonderfully inspiring.

charitra you must be blessed with good karma to have such an example as a father! Mine used to spend all his time drinking with friends or
glued to the television set. I think that my soul must have chosen him as an example for me, of exactly what not to do; God bless his soul, he
used to call my analytical spiritual nature, my Bullshit.

Maya3 Wondermonk, I am not sure that all people even need this practis and some do it spontaneously anyway; but I feel that it is a great
way to harmonise with the world about us; I do still have a penchant for the coffee pot, but now, never before my morning mantra.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Eastern Mind
20 May 2012, 09:52 AM
Vannakkam: I'm at 54 degrees N, and the summer to winter variation is about 6 hours, so consistency all year is an issue. In winter I want to do stuff way before the earth spins far enough to see the sun. But I do appreciate mornings, and our kitchen faces east. (Temperature is another issue here.)

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
20 May 2012, 11:24 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
fyi only...

When is it sunrise?
Jyotishi Varahamihira muni says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. So whats the deal ? Who cares? The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga birth charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these varga-s ( divisional charts).

praṇām

1. who ~owns~ each part of the day ? http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715&highlight=sunrise

Maya3
20 May 2012, 11:32 AM
This morning I happened to wake up just as the sun was rising. We are in the country for the weekend so I had a gorgeous view of it behind the trees.

I thought to myself that I never see enough sunrises, always sunsets, but not enough sun rises...

then I went back to sleep and got up two hours later to have coffee. Still it´s better than nothing :)

Maya

Mana
20 May 2012, 11:46 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

... I'm at 54 degrees N, and the summer to winter variation is about 6 hours, so consistency all year is an issue ...

You can understand why certain mammals have chosen the option of hibernation; It must be quit tough at times!
I should imagine all the more reason to keep regulated. I am interested, do you sleep for longer in the winter time?

My sister lives up in Scotland and its quite tough up there to!

In the Winter I am up long before sun rise; I should be interested to know if this would still be the case were it that I had no clocks?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Believer
20 May 2012, 11:54 AM
Namaste,

Thoreau's words on morning....

The Vedas say, 'All intelligences awake with the morning.' "Being awake is not just being physically up and around but being mentally vigorous to celebrate another day of living " observed Thoreau, "The millions are awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a million is awake enough for effective intellectual exertion, only one in a hundred million to the poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face?"

Pranam.

Mana
20 May 2012, 11:58 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste yajvan,

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
fyi only...

When is it sunrise?
Jyotishi Varahamihira muni says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. So whats the deal ? Who cares? The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga birth charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these varga-s ( divisional charts).

praṇām

1. who ~owns~ each part of the day ? http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715&highlight=sunrise

Thank you for your link and considered posting on this subject, I enjoy reading them! I am going to try the lord of the hour's, I know how
much other aspects effect me; it will be fun to try.

I like to think when the tip of the Sun visibly touches the horizon to be sunrise; but of course this depends upon our altitude and temperature also.
The definition of time its self is of course very illusive; with days length depending upon many variables; thus the need for the notion of ΔT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%94T);
our clocks and watches can most certainly be deceiving, as to the true nature of time.

I was listening to a lecture about the Lord of the day, only yesterday; what a fine coincidence, and thank you for answering another
question that I had been pondering.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%94T)

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Eastern Mind
20 May 2012, 12:38 PM
Vannakkam Mana: Here we adjust okay ... barely. Some light sensitive people have a more difficult time. I have strong blinds on the windows. Right around summer solstice you can see light on the horizon to the north all night long. Winter is more depressing, and there are lots of psychological studies on SAD (an acronym for it .. but I can't remember what it is ... sunlight deficiency or deprivation of some sort) So its like nature is working to give you annual highs and lows, like manic depression. :)

It gets more complex even further north beyond the Arctic Circle.

Summer evenings here are beautiful though, especially for recreation. Golfers sure like it.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
20 May 2012, 01:08 PM
... Thoreau's words on morning....

The Vedas say ...

हरिः ओम्

Namaste believer.

A fascinating quote; thank you for introducing me to Mr Thoreau, seems to me to be a very interesting fellow.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

IcyCosmic
20 May 2012, 01:21 PM
Namaste, Mana.
Merci pour les conseils.

I think I'll try again after my exams are over, my mother always tells me to greet the sun in the morning, as well as face the sun in the morning with water in that specific type of pot (i dont recall which one) offering it to the sun while uttering a certain mantra.

Mana
20 May 2012, 01:37 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

Vannakkam Mana: Here we adjust okay ...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy life up there, it must be aided greatly buy the beautiful landscapes and wildlife?
It sounds to be hard work non the less, good on you for bringing the Vedas to such Northern climes!!

Ah "manic Depression, that old chestnut! I was told I'd caught that once, but its amazing what you can cure
with a little prāṇāyāma! It can dispel the deepest of curses!

SAD that's seasonally adjusted depression, I believe. I was thinking about this throughout this last winter;
you know I swear I can feel the presence of the Moola Nakshatras in the sky, when the sun is near by, its
found at the tip of the scorpions tail. I think that it is probably more related to this than anything else; but
that is pure hypothesise on my part at this time.

The Black whole at the centre of our Galaxy can be found here; there is an interesting reference to it in
Maharishi Parasara's Brihat Parasara Hora Sastra; which a shall not try to quote, as I am not sure to
remember it correctly, it pertains to the emotional state of one who is only free from black thoughts when
this star, thus also the black whole, is present in the sky. I am assuming that there is an inverse emotional
effect on the opposite horizon.

Food for thought anyhow. Personally, I would certainly recommend seeing a good vedic astrologer before
your average psychiatrist or psychotherapist. 1000 times over! I mean why waste time with speculation
when one can get straight to the point or the crux of the matter at hand?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Eastern Mind
20 May 2012, 01:42 PM
Vannakkam: Hey that's my nakshatra. Can I ask a favor, Mana ... could you darken your font? I have old eyes, and find it hard to read. Maybe its from all those years of winter's artificial light.:)

Besides snow, light is perhaps the other main adjustment for immigrants here from the tropics. The elderly have a tougher time of it. Us Canucks are pretty used to it.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
20 May 2012, 02:02 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

Of course I can, is this any better?
It is a fascinating Nakshastra! Auspicious for men but more difficult for women, is it your Lagna or your Moon's sign,
that is if you don't mind my asking?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Ramakrishna
20 May 2012, 11:05 PM
Namaste,

I have always had erratic sleeping schedules but over the last several months I have been getting up earlier. On certain days, depending on my class schedule, I woke up for Brahma Muhurta and did puja and meditation. It truly is a very special time of the day. The shakti is very powerful and the sacred dawns abound with sheer beauty to welcome the awe-inspiring effulgence of mighty Surya.

Now I am trying to learn Surya Namaskara. I have been reciting the mantras but I am slowly learning to perform the asanas in unison with the mantras. Now that I'm off from college for the next few months, I am making an effort to arise at this sacred time everyday.

Jai Sri Ram

Arjuni
20 May 2012, 11:33 PM
Namasté,

Work schedule has been a difficulty for a few years now, but when I was able to wake for this marvelous time, I did.

For the fellow lovers of coffee and other wake-up aids, it seems that morning hydration can be more effective than morning caffeination. A simple cup of hot water, or a glass of half-water, half-apple juice, can quench the effects of hours asleep without fluids, and give the body energy.

For the fellow northerners, SAD is seasonal affective disorder and may be helped, both inexpensively and effectively, with a daily vitamin D tablet. A pill does not approach the bounty of Sūrya's beautiful light and its effect on the spirit, of course, but at least gives biochemical aid to the problem.

...Mr Thoreau, seems to me to be a very interesting fellow.
He was. I knew we would be good friends when I read this line in chapter 1 of Walden: "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind." His work is definitely worth a read.

Besides snow, light is perhaps the other main adjustment for immigrants here from the tropics.
I add a third to your points: precipitation; Canada is bone-dry, compared to sub/tropical climes!

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Shuddhasattva
21 May 2012, 05:04 AM
Namaste.

In the Shrimad Devi Bhagavatam, it is said in one of the sections discussing the importance of Gayatri that one should perform Brahmi Gayatri before sunrise, while the stars are still visible in the sky, and Rudrani Gayatri as the sun sinks below the horizon.

Given the profusion of teachings, this may well contradict other teachings, but it is the one that I am familiar with and following. If anyone is familiar with other teachings on this theme, please post - I believe the differences will be most illuminating.

I also have a question:

How do clouds and mountains come into the picture? This has been a challenge for me lately given that I am living near Kathmandu, Nepal right now where the cloudcover has many times caused the sun to 'rise' and 'set' late and early respectively.

Additionally, in both rising and setting, mountains are interposed between my vantage point and the "actual" horizon. What I mean by that if one were to look at the Earth from orbit one would see 'going around' the planet, depending on one's position relative to the sun, a 'line' formed of the demarcation of sunlit space and dark space. There's a name for this I think but I cannot recall it right now.

Certainly, the mountains, while obstructing direct view of the sun, only slightly block the rays from spreading into the atmosphere above. Thus, when the sun is finally visible in the sky, it is lighter in the sky, and has essentially been day longer.

More 'annoying' (for an immature sadhaka such as myself) than the constant presence of the mountains is the dynamic presence, or lack thereof, of the clouds, and their relative thickness/height in blocking the sun directly, and indeed, a good deal of its light too sometimes.

I have done gayatri as early as two hours before sunset because the sun was going down below a thick, apparently stationary cloudbank, because I knew that was the last it would be visible for that day.

How does one deal with this?

Dhanyavad.

Namaste

Mana
22 May 2012, 02:07 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

Ramakrishna, I wish you well with that practis, I have found that by taking a few steps steps towards my dreams
in morning meditation; I am freed to live the day with a lighter mind, and that sleep comes more easily at night.

Indraneela how right you are about our water systems! such a crucial part of our lives, I have started growing a plant,
which is highly active; it is fascinating to watch its phases as it interacts with the sun and moon; of course it is very
dependant upon its intake of water. Amusing and highly obvious to some but this is very new to me!

Shuddhasattva, thank you for your thoughts on this matter; to my mind, I think instantly that this is so as to observe the
apparent positions of the inner graha/planets. Before and after the appearance, or disappearance of the sun, one might
also wake and practis at midnight; so as to inspect the orbit of outer graha/planets, not always visible in the morning and
evening.

Their precise position in the sky in relation to the stars behind, being very important to ones meditation, we must surely
need to see the divine lights in order to meditate upon them?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Arjuni
22 May 2012, 03:10 PM
Namasté,

I neglected to mention in my last post:

...my mother always tells me to greet the sun in the morning, as well as face the sun in the morning with water in that specific type of pot (i dont recall which one) offering it to the sun while uttering a certain mantra.

IcySFX, the practice she recommends is arghya; Sahasranama has kindly provided the relevant ślokas in this post (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53956&postcount=3).

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Mana
23 May 2012, 11:50 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste Shuddhasattva,

I have been pondering your post, and the problem that you have mentioned; how beautiful are the images in my mind,
of your country surroundings and landscape, I love mountains always find them to be very inspiring!

I think that in your circumstance I would use the midday sun as a point of reference, so set a clock to midday when the
sun reaches its zenith, then you can observe the sun as he rises and sets, you should soon be able to predict the actual rise
and setting times on days when the Sun is less visible; these figure would be fine tuned in practis.
You could use two points on the horizon which line up to the ecliptic in order to have a fixed point of reference, then once
calculated you can rectify the difference from there to your chosen horizon to correct your azimuth.

I should not worry to much; even at sea level the atmosphere has an index of refraction which "moves" the apparent
position of the Sun.

I hope that these thoughts are of some use to you; I am only a student of this divine knowledge myself.

Here are two free software which will both be very useful whilst examining the celestial and galactic planes; the terrestrial
plane is of course, dependant upon your meditation ...

http://www.stellarium.org/ (http://www.stellarium.org/)

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Shuddhasattva
25 May 2012, 02:41 PM
Namaste Mana

Thank you for the kind replies.

I can get accurate times for sunset/sunrise from the internet, but this is when the sun's light has reached these coordinates.

Thank you for the two tools! Stellarium in particular I am excited about.

I've still been doing gayatri according to the sun's visibility, although I am up at 4:30 or so for true sunrise and the time before.

Observation of grahas, and corresponding tattvas and devas seems key. I feel I need to learn more about this.

Mana
25 May 2012, 11:53 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste Shuddhasattva,

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad that you have found the links useful.
This web site is very good also. (http://www.solarsystemscope.com/) The 3D aspect, helps to visualise why certain planets are better observed at these times of day.
Could it be, that a mountain peak strategically placed to block the sun would help; whilst observing Budha!

Stellarium is great I am glad that you like it, this software taught me what the lunar nodes are. It is very good for understanding
them; in order to know the motion of the moon at any particular time, its angular trajectory. Use the space bar to centre on
Chandra once you are locked on to her, with Equatorial mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_mount) turned on; you can then use the time acceleration function to
speed up and observe the motion. This is also great for observing the retrograde patterns of the outer planets over large time
spans!

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya