PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a personal deity?

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 08:16 AM
This isn't something i'd given much consideration to until recently. The main focus of my contemplation has been on Brahman and Atman. By what means do people generally select a particular personal deity?

IcyCosmic
22 May 2012, 08:36 AM
Well, I can speak personally. Everyone in my family, Me, my mother, and my father all have a name related to Lord Shiva. Shiven (Myself), Shivani (My mother) and Kailash (My father). My father may not be the most religious male in the world but he is a heavy devout of Lord Shiva, and I believe it is solely because of the divines grace that my father has achieved so much and done so many things in his life, that others simply cant do.

So since birth, I obtained a natural affinity to Lord Shiva, mantras, my dads love for him, my name, the statues of the beautiful master around the house, so on and so forth...gradually I naturally became very connected to him.

I understand, however, you and other non-natives may not have this sort of exposure, so I would assume its a case of reading the scriptures, reading up on the gods, studying around the subject, not being in a rush to select anyone as your deity of choice, but just moving forward and pushing your knowledge and when the time is right you will eventually connect to a certain deity that you feel can take you to the supreme through their respective aspect of the divine.
Thats just my personal opinion anyway.

This ofcourse doesn't mean you can't continue to worship other aspects of the divine, but focusing on one I presume would uncomplicate things a little for your subconscious....

Eastern Mind
22 May 2012, 08:38 AM
Vannakkam: IMO, You wait until they find you. But there are many beliefs. For some people, all deities are their personal one. Others will have an ishta, and maybe 50 % of their focus will be on it. Still others will focus 90% on their ishta. But the very concept of ishta means different things to different people.

What feels right?

Aum Namasivaya

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 08:42 AM
I have been studying the various deities for a while now, and by a long way the one that stands out the most for me at this point is Ardhanārīśvara. I am still learning, though, and wonder what considerations i ought to be making in such a selection?

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 09:16 AM
Well, I can speak personally. Everyone in my family, Me, my mother, and my father all have a name related to Lord Shiva. Shiven (Myself), Shivani (My mother) and Kailash (My father). My father may not be the most religious male in the world but he is a heavy devout of Lord Shiva, and I believe it is solely because of the divines grace that my father has achieved so much and done so many things in his life, that others simply cant do.

So since birth, I obtained a natural affinity to Lord Shiva, mantras, my dads love for him, my name, the statues of the beautiful master around the house, so on and so forth...gradually I naturally became very connected to him.

I understand, however, you and other non-natives may not have this sort of exposure, so I would assume its a case of reading the scriptures, reading up on the gods, studying around the subject, not being in a rush to select anyone as your deity of choice, but just moving forward and pushing your knowledge and when the time is right you will eventually connect to a certain deity that you feel can take you to the supreme through their respective aspect of the divine.
Thats just my personal opinion anyway.

This ofcourse doesn't mean you can't continue to worship other aspects of the divine, but focusing on one I presume would uncomplicate things a little for your subconscious....

Yeah, my non-nativism certainly leaves me as a blank slate in this regard. I am studying the different devas. Ultimately i worship all aspects of the divine equally... (though worship is a difficult word), but feel there may be some benefit to me focusing contemplation on a particular deva. Really what i lack is the appropriate tools for selection; i don't know how to make sense of which deva is most appropriate for me.

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 09:17 AM
Vannakkam: IMO, You wait until they find you.

What feels right?

Yeah i guess these are the two means by which i am already studying.

Eastern Mind
22 May 2012, 10:12 AM
by a long way the one that stands out the most for me at this point is Ardhanārīśvara.

Vannakkam: I worship Ardhanarisvara, (not primarily, but..) and we have a metal murthy in our shrine room. The concept certainly keeps Siva/Shakti as one.

Good luck on this discovery.

Aum Namasivaya

Equinox
22 May 2012, 10:33 AM
I happened to discover a small metal statue of Ardhanarisvara a few months ago while holidaying in Thailand. It's very small and immediately caught my eye in the antique shop there. Now I place the statue in my personal altar in my bedroom. Very intricate piece I'd say, about 1.4 inches tall.

philosoraptor
23 May 2012, 09:33 AM
This isn't something i'd given much consideration to until recently. The main focus of my contemplation has been on Brahman and Atman. By what means do people generally select a particular personal deity?

Being that you are (if I read correctly) not born into any specific Hindu tradition, I would say that you should probably select a deity for worship whom you believe is most clearly identified in the scriptures as Brahman.

yajvan
24 May 2012, 11:13 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté all,

We here on HDF have simple customs... one of them it to greet the reader with a hello ( or other salutation of your choice).

May I ask those new to HDF please consider this as part of your offering as you then integrate into our customs. We are simple
people and see HDF no different then meeting another member in a shop or at one's home , with a welcome, and perhaps a goodbye.

praṇām

Sahasranama
24 May 2012, 11:15 AM
Hello yajvan, how are you doing?

yajvan
24 May 2012, 11:21 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté sahasranama

Hello yajvan, how are you doing?

I am doing fine on this śukla catúrthi pakṣa , thank you...

praṇām

Vitani
24 May 2012, 11:32 AM
Namaste Sahasranama and yajvan and all here at Hindu Dharma Forums

Vannakkam: IMO, You wait until they find you.

This is some very good advice :) I feel that Shiva found me :)

Pranams,

Vitani

Jainarayan
24 May 2012, 11:47 AM
Namaste.

Sometimes one deity introduces you to another. ;)

I play guitar and bass (or so I like to think :p), and I like to learn. I began keeping a small image of Maa Saraswati near the area where I play and near my books. It was more symbolic than anything, because at the time I wasn't full-on Hindu, or ready to admit it. Yet, after that my playing improved dramatically. As time went on I was drawn more and more to Sri Krishna and fully embracing Hinduism. I believe Maa Saraswati was a "matchmaker".

Eastern Mind
24 May 2012, 11:58 AM
Vannakkam Vitani et al: The advice of "wait until He/She finds you" may sound relatively simple but in includes a lot of deeper stuff.

1) There is a two way relationship, and often outside of your conscious control. One can be at a crossroads between two temples, not even knowing what (or who, in the case of Gods) may be inside each, yet still be attracted to one over the other. So in this case its your intuitive faculties, (some may term it the superconscious mind, or mind of the soul) operating. You don't reason it out, it just happens.

2) By letting God decide, you are submitting your will to his/Her will, and alongside that will is your ego. How many times have we heard, "Leave your ego at the door."

3) The term 'wait' is an oversimplification of "Cultivate patience." In Hinduism, we are patient, waiting for the Guru to come, waiting until we are ready, waiting for the 'right' times ... for samskaras, for proceedings, etc. This is in stark contrast to other world views where its all Hurry Hurry Hurry ... "Hey I want to realist the Self this afternoon, and attain moksha by 3 o'clock." Personally, I believe its a direct result of the steadfast belief in reincarnation.

It's not really a case of Him finding you, for He already knows where you are (obviously) but it is a matter of timing.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
24 May 2012, 12:16 PM
Hello, "the deity picks you" (EM) and "one leads you to another" (TBTL), this is very true. I would not be surprised if this is exactly what happens for tbis practitioner. It also appears it has already happened!

Jai Hanuman, Mother Annapurna Ki Jai, Shri Ram Jaya Ram, Valli Devi Ki Jai, Om Namah Shivaya!

Today is a Great Day! Who is the One with you today? Who is the One looking at you today? There is a great adventure waiting for you today! Some One is looking for you today!

You do not wish for anything today, because you can be found today.

Seeker123
24 May 2012, 01:04 PM
Namaskar:

I dont think I have one personal deity. I love baby Krishna's pranks and his beautiful face in all calendars; baby Murugan's face too; Krishna's wisdom as in B Gita; Ganesha's figure; Hanuman's devotion; Ram's example for Men; Sita's example for women; listening to Guruvayoorappa's Harivarasanam's song by Yesudas, the peace of Dakshinamoorthy the list goes on.

Aum namah Śivāya
25 May 2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, my non-nativism certainly leaves me as a blank slate in this regard. I am studying the different devas. Ultimately i worship all aspects of the divine equally... (though worship is a difficult word), but feel there may be some benefit to me focusing contemplation on a particular deva. Really what i lack is the appropriate tools for selection; i don't know how to make sense of which deva is most appropriate for me.

Namaste,

In my opinion, the attitude is better expressed, not what God can do for us, but what we can do for God and how we can express our devotion, gratitude, service. Enlightenment is not something that can be "obtained" or "achieved," but is a result of total self-surrender and self-giving to the Divine so that the ego is annihilated.

It's like if you select a spouse, you don't ask what she can do for you and how she can help you. You choose one whom you love and want to give of yourself.

yajvan
25 May 2012, 04:32 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is another view on this matter... when speaking of one's iṣṭa-devatā, the ambassor of the formless that has form.

From a jyotish point of view one's chart may be of assistence. Consider the following HDF posts

part 1
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746)

part 2

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748

part 3

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=764

praṇām

mradam83
06 June 2012, 04:46 PM
Namaste.

I have found or rather my deity has found me - Lord Ganesh!

For a few years I've had an issue that I should have resolved but it has been out of sight, out of mind and all of a sudden the moment I look into what being a Hindu means then it pops up out the blue in order for me to sort it.

Now, my path is clear and I can finally look ahead. I feel this is Ganesh, who has created the obstacle in order for it to be removed and get on with my life.

Now, I'm still dubious about the idea of an actual conscious deity but I do believe that in nature which personifies Ganesh has directly intervened in my life.

I feel beyond humbled. Now I have my deity, where do I go from here?

Jainarayan
07 June 2012, 10:49 AM
Namaste mradam.

Namaste.

I have found or rather my deity has found me - Lord Ganesh!

Congratulations. May He shower blessings on you forever. :)

Now I have my deity, where do I go from here?

Read all you can about Him.

Set up a little shrine, there are tons of pictures on the internet that can be saved and printed to a color printer, and framed. The shrine can be on a table or bookcase or shelf that is kept just for the shrine and treated with reverence.

Keep a candle (or little oil lamp) near His image, and maybe an incense holder.

Light the candle and incense, pass the candle clockwise three times in front of His picture.

Say a couple of prayers:

Lighting the lamp:
I salute the One who is the lamplight, that brings auspiciousness, prosperity, good health, abundance of wealth, and the destruction of the intellect's enemy.

Lighting the incense:
My meditation is the incense stick, my mind is the flower I offer. My five senses will be the resting place for You. Mercy is my recitation. With happiness I worship you, Lord.

Prayer to the Lord:
Lord Ganesha who is garbed in white and is all pervading, with a moon-like complexion and four arms, upon that ever-smiling and pleasing face do I meditate and ask that You remove all obstacles.

Say some short prayers in your own words, thanking Him for being in your life and keeping you safe.

Offer a flower or two, and some sweets. When extinguishing the candle, wave your hand, don't blow it out. Breath is considered impure. You can eat the sweets after your little puja and aarti is done.

You might wish to chant His name or mantra: Om Sri Ganeshaya namaha, or Om Gam Ganapataye namaha (gam sounds like gum or gun), or Ganesha sharanam, sharanam Ganesha (Ganesha is my refuge). Usually those mantras are given by a guru, but from what I've read, a lot of people chant mantras without initiation by a guru.

Think of Him, and pray (talk) to Him regularly. And don't forget to listen to what He has to say. You'll feel it.

That's it.

Arjuni
07 June 2012, 12:24 PM
Namasté,

I second the congratulations, and will add to it the link to the Himalayan Academy's extensive book about Him - Loving Ganesha (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_table_of_contents.html) - as an excellent read. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

mradam83
07 June 2012, 04:59 PM
Namaste mradam.

Congratulations. May He shower blessings on you forever. :)

Read all you can about Him.

Set up a little shrine, there are tons of pictures on the internet that can be saved and printed to a color printer, and framed. The shrine can be on a table or bookcase or shelf that is kept just for the shrine and treated with reverence.

Keep a candle (or little oil lamp) near His image, and maybe an incense holder.

Light the candle and incense, pass the candle clockwise three times in front of His picture.

Say a couple of prayers:

Lighting the lamp:
I salute the One who is the lamplight, that brings auspiciousness, prosperity, good health, abundance of wealth, and the destruction of the intellect's enemy.

Lighting the incense:
My meditation is the incense stick, my mind is the flower I offer. My five senses will be the resting place for You. Mercy is my recitation. With happiness I worship you, Lord.

Prayer to the Lord:
Lord Ganesha who is garbed in white and is all pervading, with a moon-like complexion and four arms, upon that ever-smiling and pleasing face do I meditate and ask that You remove all obstacles.

Say some short prayers in your own words, thanking Him for being in your life and keeping you safe.

Offer a flower or two, and some sweets. When extinguishing the candle, wave your hand, don't blow it out. Breath is considered impure. You can eat the sweets after your little puja and aarti is done.

You might wish to chant His name or mantra: Om Sri Ganeshaya namaha, or Om Gam Ganapataye namaha (gam sounds like gum or gun), or Ganesha sharanam, sharanam Ganesha (Ganesha is my refuge). Usually those mantras are given by a guru, but from what I've read, a lot of people chant mantras without initiation by a guru.

Think of Him, and pray (talk) to Him regularly. And don't forget to listen to what He has to say. You'll feel it.

That's it.

Namaste,

That's excellent information, thank you very much.

While I'm getting everything together, can I still offer prayers anyway until I get up and running?

mradam83
07 June 2012, 05:02 PM
Namasté,

I second the congratulations, and will add to it the link to the Himalayan Academy's extensive book about Him - Loving Ganesha (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_table_of_contents.html) - as an excellent read. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste.

Many thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check that book out and have a good read.

Jainarayan
07 June 2012, 08:19 PM
Namaste,

That's excellent information, thank you very much.

While I'm getting everything together, can I still offer prayers anyway until I get up and running?

Absolutely! Devotion is what counts. The gods and goddesses are very easy to please. If you had only an ice cream cone and offered it first to God saying "Lord, I'd like to share this with you. Please accept it", He would happily.

Vidura was a royal prince, the half-brother of the kings Dhritarashtra and Pandu of Hastinapura, in the Mahabharata. Vidura was peeling bananas for Krishna, and was in such devotion to Krishna that he wasn't paying attention to anything except his love for Krishna. He threw away the fruit and gave Krishna the banana peels instead. Krishna ate the peels without a complaint or saying a word, because of the devotion of Vidura.

mradam83
08 June 2012, 08:39 AM
Absolutely! Devotion is what counts. The gods and goddesses are very easy to please. If you had only an ice cream cone and offered it first to God saying "Lord, I'd like to share this with you. Please accept it", He would happily.

Vidura was a royal prince, the half-brother of the kings Dhritarashtra and Pandu of Hastinapura, in the Mahabharata. Vidura was peeling bananas for Krishna, and was in such devotion to Krishna that he wasn't paying attention to anything except his love for Krishna. He threw away the fruit and gave Krishna the banana peels instead. Krishna ate the peels without a complaint or saying a word, because of the devotion of Vidura.

Namaste.

That's a really nice analogy, and one that motivates me that being a Hindu and submitting to Sanatana Dharma is the right thing.

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 08:41 AM
Good to hear! :)

Eastern Mind
08 June 2012, 08:32 PM
Vannakkam: Not too many people outside of the Ganapatyan sect take Lord Ganesha as their ishta, but many people hold Him dearly in mind, as He clears the way in so many seen and unseen ways. I love Ganesha temples in particular.

Aum Namasivaya

mradam83
08 June 2012, 08:40 PM
Vannakkam: Not too many people outside of the Ganapatyan sect take Lord Ganesha as their ishta, but many people hold Him dearly in mind, as He clears the way in so many seen and unseen ways. I love Ganesha temples in particular.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

That is a good point, maybe I shouldn't be hasty to solely dedicate to Ganesh. If I look at it objectively, I likely have had other gods working in my life but I don't know enough to identify them yet. I've been feeling like I should take more care in the world and not hide myself away at home. Would taking action be down to Vishnu/Krishna?

Eastern Mind
08 June 2012, 08:48 PM
Vannakkam: From my POV, taking action would be up to you.

Aum Namasivaya

mradam83
08 June 2012, 08:53 PM
Vannakkam: From my POV, taking action would be up to you.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

Thank you for your POV. :-D

Arjuni
08 June 2012, 10:46 PM
Namasté,

I have noticed that Gaṇeśa seems to introduce many converts to Hinduism. It makes sense that he, as the first-worshipped and the obstacle-remover, would do this. So, it may be that your experiences now are preparing you for later discoveries. Definitely pray to him as TBTL has suggested; whether he is or is not to be your lifelong iṣṭa-deva, he will certainly guide you and help clear your path.

One's personal deity should be chosen with at least the level of care and love that one would bring to bear in choosing a spouse. That sounds very intimidating, but it helps to know that there is no rush to do this, no time limit after which you will not be considered a "proper" Hindu for failing to choose.

There can be a sort of pride that creeps into this choice - a wish to feel special and validated, "chosen by" and "dear to" a particular form of the Divine. To use a (bad) analogy: take care not to skip half the novel, in your eagerness to read its ending. ;)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

mradam83
09 June 2012, 05:17 AM
Namasté,

I have noticed that Gaṇeśa seems to introduce many converts to Hinduism. It makes sense that he, as the first-worshipped and the obstacle-remover, would do this. So, it may be that your experiences now are preparing you for later discoveries. Definitely pray to him as TBTL has suggested; whether he is or is not to be your lifelong iṣṭa-deva, he will certainly guide you and help clear your path.

One's personal deity should be chosen with at least the level of care and love that one would bring to bear in choosing a spouse. That sounds very intimidating, but it helps to know that there is no rush to do this, no time limit after which you will not be considered a "proper" Hindu for failing to choose.

There can be a sort of pride that creeps into this choice - a wish to feel special and validated, "chosen by" and "dear to" a particular form of the Divine. To use a (bad) analogy: take care not to skip half the novel, in your eagerness to read its ending. ;)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste.

That makes a lot of sense - I suppose a lot of us will see different ways in which obstacles are removed and realise where the reverance for that should go.

I was a bit worried about making a conscious choice in case I seemed like I was being fickle. But this is ok to do?

Eastern Mind
09 June 2012, 08:23 AM
Vannakkam: I echo Indraneela's wisdom. Esoterically, Ganesha resides on the muladara, so in a sense he is the gatekeeper to higher worlds or mental states where cognition, will, love, and finally samadhi happen. Personally, Ganesha has been a key part of my life for a very long time now, and I often beseech His guidance.

In the many beautiful, yet varied temples now existing in the west, there is one constant: Somewhere within those premises there is a powerful Ganesha shrine. The other deities may shift around, some non-existent, etc., but you will always be able to sit in front of Ganesha.

Aum Namasivaya

mradam83
09 June 2012, 10:43 AM
Vannakkam: I echo Indraneela's wisdom. Esoterically, Ganesha resides on the muladara, so in a sense he is the gatekeeper to higher worlds or mental states where cognition, will, love, and finally samadhi happen. Personally, Ganesha has been a key part of my life for a very long time now, and I often beseech His guidance.

In the many beautiful, yet varied temples now existing in the west, there is one constant: Somewhere within those premises there is a powerful Ganesha shrine. The other deities may shift around, some non-existent, etc., but you will always be able to sit in front of Ganesha.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

I suppose that's the next thing to experience, going to a temple and experiencing that. It may be able to also help me understand which will truly be my deity.

Thank you again.

InaweofDurga
09 July 2012, 11:02 AM
I thought I'd just share how I came to chose Durga because it seems she may have chosen me.

I tried to think what the first thing that made be interested in Hinduism was. When I was a young child I saw a picture of Durga and was transfixed in a kind of awe at how this woman had so many arms! I can still feel the feeling now as I stared at her. As I have become more interested in Sanatana Dharma and have been wondering which God I should use as my focus I guessed I should read up on Durga.
On reading about her I found that she eliminates suffering and wants moral justice, which fits well with me as I'm studying Human Rights. She rides a lion and once my friends said If I were and animal I'd be a lion and also, one of her 108 names is Paatalavati, which means someone who wears red and I do a lot! So I guess I just feel a strong connection with her because of those things.

Hope you find yours soon :)

Jodhaa
15 August 2012, 06:14 PM
Namaste!

I am new to Hinduism but from the beginning of my search, I felt very drawn to Sri Lakshmi. There were other deities that I initially felt "should" be more appropriate for me based on their attributes and my personality - but I kept coming back to Lakshmi. I found her images comforting and empowering. When I meditate on her, I am always relieved of my anxiety. So, she has naturally become my personal diety.

Closely related to her is Lord Hanuman - I don't yet have a murti of Lord Hanuman to sit alongside my Lakshmi, and I feel an emptiness there, like he belongs by her side. I admire his tenderness and faithfulness to Sita and his love for his friend, Lord Rama.

I think the concept of "The deity choosing you" is very accurate in my case. Instead of trying to find a deity that made logical sense to me, I went with my gut feeling, and found Lakshmi.

Eastern Mind
17 August 2012, 07:57 AM
Vannakkam Jodha: There's a huge temple for Lakshmi over in Boston. I'm always encouraging newcomers to make it to a temple. Best wishes with your learning about SD.

Aum Namasivaya

Jodhaa
17 August 2012, 09:47 AM
Vannakkam Jodha: There's a huge temple for Lakshmi over in Boston. I'm always encouraging newcomers to make it to a temple. Best wishes with your learning about SD.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste, Eastern Mind!

I have heard of it and hope to visit it some day. My family lives on the East Coast. I currently volunteer at the Indianapolis Hindu Temple. It is currently under construction (to be completed in 2013-14), but they manage to keep the community there alive and vibrant. I attend ceremonies on the weekends.

Thank you!

Believer
17 August 2012, 10:54 AM
Namaste,

Visiting a temple is excellent advice. The following link might be helpful to prepare you for the first encounter,

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51186#post51186

Besides, there are several first person accounts of new members making it to the mandir for the first time, posted I believe, in the 'Temples (Mandir)' sub-forum.

Happy journey on the spiritual path.

Pranam.

izi
24 August 2012, 04:29 PM
Just choose whatever makes you feel close to Parabrahman....in time you will grow

Bhagavankibhakt
24 October 2012, 07:23 PM
Namaste,

I personally do not believe in the literal existence of gods and goddesses but view all of our devis and devas as forms of Bhagavan.

I worship Shree Ganesh, Brahma Pita, Vishnu Pita, Shiva Pita, Saraswati Mata, Lakshmi Mata, Durga/ Parvati Mata and even Santoshi Mata at various times however the one form I feel the most connected to is Kali Mata.

How I came to know Her is really an amazing story. Firstly let me start off by saying my last name is Kalicharan.

I followed Islam and Christianity from childhood to teenage years. A few weeks before my 18th birthday I developed and obsessive fascination with discovering the meaning of my last name. Now I didn't have Internet access at the time so I couldn't simply Google it. Then I made the effort of going to an Internet cafe and Googled my last name and lo and behold I found out the meaning. Kalicharan means "At the Feet of Kali Mata." at that very moment I was enveloped in love for Her and since then She is the roop that I feel the most connected to. I also delved into Hinduism in full force finally reclaiming the heritage of my ancestors. My parents are not Hindu btw.

I am 25 years old now and even though overtime I delved into the other forms, Kali Maa is still the form I run to first and foremost because She chose me...I didn't choose Her :)