PDA

View Full Version : Unconscious Younger Generation

Equinox
22 May 2012, 12:52 PM
I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. Today's Hindu youth hardly realise their Hindu heritage and what it takes to be Hindu. The only time they ever realise they're Hindu would be on main Hindu festivals and celebrations. Other than that, they seem distanced from their religion. This accounts for about half the Hindu youth I know. About 20% to 30% of that half are worse.

To begin with, some of them happily eat beef without any remorse. There would be many choices of food in Burger King for example, but they'd only take the burgers containing beef. And what's worse is that their parents seem to encourage them (open-mindedness they call it) and join them in eating beef. Of course this happens in irreligious families only.

That's disgusting in my opinion. Why would you eat beef to show others you're an open-minded Hindu? This happens alot in western countries too.

Oh and then the mourning garbs. Goodness! I attended a Hindu funeral and then some prayers a few months back. I was the only one below 21 who wore white. All the other younger ones wore only black or some other dark colour. And they're all Hindus.

How agitating is that? I mean if you dont want to wear the Hindu mourning colour, which is white, why wear the mourning colour of other religions?
Don't they realise? I bet they don't. Don't their parents tell them? Of course they don't ( in keeping with open-mindedness) :rolleyes:

Finally, some of them have never been vegetarian for even a day in their life.
They wouldn't sacrifice even a day in a week to be vegetarian. They don't go to temple to pray, but just to observe during festivals.

Ok, so that's it I guess. Sorry for my rant. But why do these sort of Hindus exist? Maybe they would realise the beauty of being a Hindu soon and follow the proper path perhaps. I don't know.

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 12:56 PM
May i ask which country you live in? It's pretty relevant.

Equinox
22 May 2012, 01:04 PM
Malaysia, Zarry.

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 01:13 PM
I know very little about Malaysia, so i can only speculate here.

It seems to be the case everywhere that younger people are less interested in religion in general in current times. They are keener to explore, especially when surrounded by people their own age who are not necessarily subject to the same religious culture as their own. They are less likely to upkeep their cultural traditions, because they exist in a different culture altogether, one with a variety of influences.

Also, Kali yuga.

Here in the U.K. it is quite typical to hear people from older generations complain about the activities of younger generations also, in a very similar way - i.e. not upholding tradition.

As for the "open-mindedness" issue, i agree that perhaps some people do participate in "open-mindedness" as if it were a religion in itself. I think this is through fear; no-one wants to be called a racist, or a bigot, or other similar terms, and they worry that if they don't embrace all things, then they will be bigoted. There is perhaps an element of truth in this, but at the same time it is possible to uphold tradition AND be open-minded without desecrating one's own traditions in the process.

But again, Kali yuga.

Equinox
22 May 2012, 01:30 PM
That's very meaningful Zarry. And yes I realise the connection to Kali Yuga.

It is very possible of course to be open-minded yet not forsaking one's religion. That is what I do.

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 01:37 PM
That's very meaningful Zarry. And yes I realise the connection to Kali Yuga.

It is very possible of course to be open-minded yet not forsaking one's religion. That is what I do.

Taking the example of eating beef. I understand completely why you would take issue with someone eating beef to create the image of an "open-minded hindu". Would you take the same issue with a hindu who ate beef simply because they thought, through their own understanding of the religion, that it was ok?

Equinox
22 May 2012, 01:52 PM
Yes definitely. Isn't it weird to take beef when the religion is downright against it? That wouldn't be understanding the religion then, let alone forming their own understanding. I'd call it ignorance.

ZarryT
22 May 2012, 02:18 PM
Yes definitely. Isn't it weird to take beef when the religion is downright against it? That wouldn't be understanding the religion then, let alone forming their own understanding. I'd call it ignorance.

Possibly, or it could be considered them forming their own departure from the religion? The specific reason for not killing cows has been lost, hasn't it?

Equinox
22 May 2012, 02:25 PM
It wouldn't be departure exactly, more towards experimenting and not being bothered with religion.

As for the specific reason for not killing cows, I wouldn't say 'lost'. You know it as much as I do.

IcyCosmic
22 May 2012, 03:19 PM
Hm, I whole-heartedly agree with you. Which you would know from my dilution of knowledge thread anyway, we are on the same wavelength in that regard. Yeah all my hindus friend know nothing about hinduism. Point blank.

Infact I'm the only who can hold down the fort infront of slander by islamic and other religious groups who choose to attack our belief systems, the rest of the hindus lack knowledge and they dont seem to care either.

I think its silly when people need religion to have a solid foundation of morals, I decided I wouldn't ever eat meat, drink alcohol, smoke, or do drugs when I was 10 years old - and I see many people who hold back from these things purely based on religion, they hold back on adultery purely based on religion, why can you not seperate right from wrong without it? My parents allow me to drink and eat meat, I know lots of people who if they were actually allowed and not forbidden to do so they would be gouging on it everyday and be absolutely mullered every other day, thats something I don't understand

but yes in general thats something I hate about the young generation of hindus, they dont seem to have that flame inside them, not that they need one - but knowledge of god atleast? I think this is one of the disadvantages of hinduism being a disorganized religion - the parents also seem to find a disconnect to the religion and slip away from it with society and the disintegration of its moral fabrics, and they just seem to gradually fade away into the material plane and seemingly they wouldn't feel awkward not giving their children that essential knowledge about hinduism....whereas with other faiths its forced onto them. I still prefer our path but thats the truth regarding that.

IcyCosmic
22 May 2012, 03:23 PM
I remember a friend who ate beef with no remorse, he told me something foolish like a god or something was in a forest and he ate meat - that might be true but thats completely out of context. So he was like if god can eat meat I can too and that was that not that he would quit anyway just trying to justify his own means
Yeah god can destroy the universe...you try that..

Doesn't bother me ofcourse if you're going to contribute to the suffering of animals, to me I won't differentiate between a chicken or a cow regardless of its significance - a dead animal, is a dead animal. They both experience pain so why place one above the other purely based on its merits within hinduism.

Thats why I never understand hindu's who dont eat meat on 'specific' days, even my dad does that. He doesn't eat on I think the day that is Lord Shiva's auspicious day, its silly. If you're going to sin by proportioning it to a lower amount it doesn't kill the fact that you sin. I mean I guess just have that mentality of completely cut it off or don't bother.

R Gitananda
22 May 2012, 08:25 PM
namaste IcySFX

I see a difference between hunting an animal in the forest (that is able to live free until the day it dies)
and supporting the commercialized animal slaughter which is degrading to both the animals and the people
involved in it (meatvideo.com). Kshatriyas like Sri Ramji kept their killing instincts honed through hunting
and so had no hesitation in killing human beings to uphold Dharma. It is a distasteful activity but some-
times distasteful things must be done.

Hari Aum

Equinox
23 May 2012, 02:51 AM
That's right Icy, especially the lack of the flame and the indifferent parents. You seem to perfectly understand me and share the same thoughts too.

I see how your second post makes sense. I guess it's more about tradition and culture where certain days are considered more auspicious than another. And also certain animals being more revered than others. But nevertheless they do have their religious significances. It's probably a step closer to becoming a full vegetarian.