PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it; I made it to temple (kind of long).

Jainarayan
23 May 2012, 08:49 PM
It was a spur of the moment decision this afternoon. I was dressed a little better than usual so I thought well why not? Of course taking a Valium beforehand helped take the edge off my anxiety. I needn't have worried about my clothes because there was a young man (30s maybe) wearing jeans.

I pulled into the parking lot and saw the new temple construction. This new temple is huge! (construction photo album): http://www.guruvayurappantemple.org/NEW_TEMPLE_PHOTOS2011.html I saw there were only one or two cars in the parking lot and I was relieved. I didn't want to go when there was a crowd.

I took my shoes off and left them in the shoe rack; I later realized people took their socks off too, so I did it on the sly and put them in my pocket. I stopped by the office to pay my respects. I was welcomed nicely. They said to go in, take darshan and be comfortable, and if I had any questions, just ask. I went in, made namaskar and sat down. It so happens it was just before 6 pm when the priests do Vishnu Sahasranama. I didn't know that, so when I left I asked the people in the office what it was the priests were chanting. They said "it's the thousand names of Vishnu". I said "oh, the Vishnu Sahasranama!" They said "yes, yes!" :) I was happy that I got a chance to be there for that.

When the priests were finished with the chanting, they offered the light to the deities, then to us. They passed water around. Apparently I held my hand incorrectly, so the priest whispered "no, no, the other way" with a smile. I said "oops, sorry", and he smiled again. Then they passed prasad of nuts and fruit. I did the circumambulation as a few other people did, stayed a bit to listen to the recording of the Hanuman Chalisa, then left. I spoke with the people in the office again and thanked them for being so helpful.

They said they were happy to help, and hoped to see me again. They told me about the Mahakumbhabishekam in July. I told them I follow the website but have been shy about coming. They said I need not be, that everyone is welcome. As we were talking I told the lady from the office that "from the time I was a teen, even being raised Roman Catholic... ", and she cut me off smiling, nodding and said "you were always Hindu".

The most striking thing is that both priests, even while chanting, looked over in my direction and gave a slight smile. I expected, as I've heard before, that they wouldn't even notice me, much less acknowledge me. I think they could tell I was afraid of committing a faux pas. After the service, as a few people were coming and going, one of the priests again gave me a slight smile. The looks I got from others there were more like "hmm... a new person", and there were slight smiles.

So it turned out differently than I expected. I expected that at the time I went, there would be no service, but as it turned out (and as I say, there are no accidents), I got swept up in the aarti and prasad. :) I may be able to work in a stop-by a night or two each week on my way home from work, or even make a special weekend visit (it's 20 miles from home).

When I get a little bolder, I'll go to a puja: Satyanarayana and/or Purnima Pujas; or even an abishekam. The temple is Sri Guruvāyūrappan Sri Krishnaji Mandir, but there are shrines and services to Lord Shiva, Maa, and Lord Ganesha.

Well, sorry for the travelogue.

Vaikuntha Bound.
23 May 2012, 09:30 PM
Namaste! So glad you had such a great experience. It's just the first of many.

Jainarayan
23 May 2012, 09:52 PM
Namaste.

Namaste! So glad you had such a great experience. It's just the first of many.

Thanks. It really was a nice experience. :) On the one hand I was nervous and shy, but on the other hand I felt like "well hey, I'm in God's house, so He'll look after me".

Every day there is Vishnu Sahasranamam Parayanam @ 6 pm and Mangala Aarati @ 7 pm. Tonight, being Wednesday, if I had stayed there would be Sri Sathyanarayana Archana @ 6:30 pm. I didn't know the schedule until I got home and checked it on the website. Maybe next time I will stay for those. I can always hang at the back of the temple and watch what others do. Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Vaikuntha Bound.
23 May 2012, 11:24 PM
You also mentioned being interested in attending the Satyanarayana puja. If you'd like a good (and inexpensive) introduction to the story behind the puja, as well as the ritual itself, you might want to find "The Way to True Worship" by Prof. Anoop Chandola. While he writes as both a born hindu and an academic, I found that the book gave me the footing to attend and draw meaning from my participation.

:)

Take care,

VB

Ramakrishna
24 May 2012, 12:11 AM
Namaste TBTL,

Thanks for sharing about your visit. I'm glad things went so well. See, it wasn't so bad, right? :) Best wishes on your continued journey into Sanatana Dharma.

Jai Sri Ram

Mana
24 May 2012, 01:00 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste TBTL,

Hey good for you TBTL; I am happy to hear of your progress! :)

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Eastern Mind
24 May 2012, 07:34 AM
Vannakkam TBTL: It gets easier each time. Eventually you'll be in a 'home away from home' environment, as comfortable there as you are on your couch relaxing. (You won't need the valium.) Eventually you'll go just to see God, and not be conscious at all of the embodied jivas around you. I'm truly happy for you.:)

Aum Namasivaya

Vitani
24 May 2012, 08:12 AM
That's so great! I wish there was a temple near me. There is an ISKCON temple in my state, but it's so far away. But I loved hearing your story! :)

Jainarayan
24 May 2012, 08:41 AM
Namaste all. :)

Thanks for the info about the Satyanarayana Puja, Vaikuntha Bound. I will look into it. :) And thanks to everyone for your responses and support. It was a big step for me, having the social anxiety I do. But now I've broken through that wall, and I'm actually looking forward to going again, even if it's just for the Vishnu Sahasranama after work.

Granted there were no more than 5 or 6 people there, but at least now there are 5 or 6 people that have seen me, not to mention 2 of the priests and the people at the office.

I noticed it's true that people come in and do their own thing. One woman came in after the chanting started, sat down and seemed to either be meditating, praying or listening to the chanting. I noticed that later on she went to the shrine of Maa Saraswati and did a prostration from her knees. The husband and wife couple came at the end of the service and received prasad. Perhaps they were early for the next service. The lady didone circumambulation, the young fellow went around at least 3 times. I did 3.

From what I saw, the most interaction one has with other people is taking prasad, and even then it's only the priests. It's true you're there to be with God, for the most part.

Maya3
24 May 2012, 09:19 AM
YAY!
So glad you went and had a good experience.

I was shy the first time too.

Maya

charitra
24 May 2012, 09:24 AM
Namaste TBTL,

I am happy for you that you have had very comfortable time yesterday at the mandir. The pujaris will get more warmer to you in the future visits as they understand your discomfiture and all, also if you go on these lighter evenings you will get used to the scenario and will be able to face larger crowds on festival days. Yes people do their own thing, if in doubt you can always ask the pujari when he is not busy.

You can sit in a corner all by yourself in the interval time and just be there a few minutes more, don’t have to rush out immediately after the puja ritual. Let all the excitement and thrill dissipate right inside the building. When you walk towards your car you mst feel very calm, like how one feels after a sitting of meditation.

Keep posting your future visit experiences on this thread.

Jainarayan
24 May 2012, 09:43 AM
Namaste.

Namaste TBTL,

I am happy for you that you have had very comfortable time yesterday at the mandir. The pujaris will get more warmer to you in the future visits as they understand your discomfiture and all, also if you go on these lighter evenings you will get used to the scenario and will be able to face larger crowds on festival days. Yes people do their own thing, if in doubt you can always ask the pujari when he is not busy.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I know that when the pujaris smiled, especially during the chanting, it was an attempt to make me feel comfortable. They know who is new, especially a westerner.

When I held my hands wrong to take the water, the way the pujari smiled and corrected me looked like he was amused because I tried to do right, especially after I took the light like everyone else.

You can sit in a corner all by yourself in the interval time and just be there a few minutes more, don’t have to rush out immediately after the puja ritual. Let all the excitement and thrill edissipate right inside the building. When you walk towards your car you mst feel very calm, like after a sitting of meditation.
I'm a back-of-the-roomer, but for some odd reason, I went very close to the main altar to sit. Only when I could not sit any more (back problems), I got up as discreetly as possible to go stand at the back. In the photo albums of services and events I've seen people holding babies and small children standing in the back. There are even chairs along one wall. So I should fit right in.

Yes, I stayed a bit longer after the service just taking in the atmosphere. When I got back to my truck to leave, I had a happy feeling.

Keep posting your future visit experiences on this thread.

Oh, you know I will. :D

Jainarayan
24 May 2012, 10:16 AM
Namaste.

Btw, I think I'm going to go tomorrow night (Fri.) for Vishnu Sahasranamam Parayanam again @ 6 pm, now that I know what it is about. On Fridays there is Lalitha Sahasranamam (Maa Parvati's 1,000 names?) and Lakshmi Ashotram (Maa Lakshmi's 108 names?) @ 6:30, and Mangala Aarati @ 7 pm. What is Mangala Aarati? 'Mangala' means auspicious, yes? And I know what aarati is. So how do I put them together to know what it is? (or I could just be surprised :D). Is this overdoing it, or would I be up to it? The chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranamam was beautiful and mesmerizing. I take it that it is in Sanskrit? (just curious).

satay
24 May 2012, 04:05 PM
namaskar,
it's like coming home after being away thousands of years.

Jainarayan
24 May 2012, 06:10 PM
Namaste satay.

namaskar,
it's like coming home after being away thousands of years.

:iagree: Yes, you could say that. Because for all my initial anxiety I had a certain feeling of comfortableness realizing that it is God's house. :)

Equinox
25 May 2012, 11:32 AM
Namaste TouchedbytheLord,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm very happy for you. I just returned from temple myself right now and I still feel so calm and perfect.

Glad you made the move to go. It's definitely worth it i'll say. :)

Jainarayan
25 May 2012, 11:45 AM
Namaste Equinox.

I'm glad you have that feeling too. I did after I left the other night. It was my pleasure to share, especially after the many times I expressed trepidation about it.

I'm going to go tonight for the 6 pm Vishnu Sahasranamam; 6:30 Lalitha Sahasranamam and Lakshmi Ashotram; and 7:00 Mangala Aarati. I know I won't understand a word, and I'll probably be there about an hour and a half, but it should be nice to listen to the chanting and take in the atmosphere. I'm curious as to how many people attend the weekly services.

Eastern Mind
25 May 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm curious as to how many people attend the weekly services.

Vannakkam: Most likely it will be hit and miss. There might be 5 people, theremight be 50. You never know. I went to the one here this morning, and there were 4 other people besides the priest and manager ... and the cute little Chinese daycare came wandering in 6 tots, 3 adults, ... one of the kids had to use the washroom. :)

If one famiuly decides to sponsor a puja, and they call a bunch of friends, crowds can jump quickly. And for festival or special days, (like your upcoming mahakumbabhishekham, TBTL) it is never big enough. No Hindu temple is ever big enough on those days. You might get as many as 3 to 4 thousand devotees then.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
25 May 2012, 01:39 PM
Namaste EM.

I have a feeling there will be very few people, if it's anything like Wednesday night. I'll bet most people attend temple on weekends. But, like you said it could be hit or miss. I'll find out. Not that it matters, it's just curiosity to get the feel of the temple community.

If the photos from New Year's celebrations and other festivals are any indication, I think the mahakumbabhishekham will be incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a tourist attraction too. That might be fine if proper respect is shown.

Eastern Mind
25 May 2012, 02:55 PM
Vannakkam TBTL ... Good chance the kumbabhishekham, if its organised by the South Indian community, will have this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxM9hfdv8zA&feature=related type of music. Turn the volume on your speakers to absolutely highest, and you'll get a sense of it. :) Not quite the same as a tape. Tapes are nice but live temple musicians are nicer. Or combined with kavadi ... outside... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QLiYR1OdY&feature=related amazing that this one is in Canada.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
25 May 2012, 06:45 PM
Namaste TBTL,

Reading the posts above, it seems that you probably thought that a mandir visit would result in you being imprisoned there and that we would not come looking for you?;)
Glad to see that they let you leave after the puja without extracting a promise from you to visit again. I think they knew that they have you hooked.:)

Pranam.

Jainarayan
25 May 2012, 08:55 PM
Namaste EM.

Vannakkam TBTL ... Good chance the kumbabhishekham, if its organised by the South Indian community, will have this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxM9hfdv8zA&feature=related type of music. Turn the volume on your speakers to absolutely highest, and you'll get a sense of it. :) Not quite the same as a tape. Tapes are nice but live temple musicians are nicer. Or combined with kavadi ... outside... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QLiYR1OdY&feature=related amazing that this one is in Canada.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check them out at an earlier time of day. :D

I think there is a mix of North and South Indian influence in this community. I saw a few people doing full prostrations, which I think you (or someone) once said is a South custom.

If it's the case that there's a mix, the Mahakumbabhishekham really should be a sight to see. I can only imagine the varieties of customs, music, dress, etc. :)

Jainarayan
25 May 2012, 09:34 PM
Namaste Believer and all.

Namaste TBTL,

Reading the posts above, it seems that you probably thought that a mandir visit would result in you being imprisoned there and that we would not come looking for you?;)
Glad to see that they let you leave after the puja without extracting a promise from you to visit again. I think they knew that they have you hooked.:)

Pranam.

No, actually I thought the opposite... that I'd be sent packing and run out of town on a rail back here! :D

Well, I was the one who offered the promise. And I kept it. I went for the Vishnu Sahasranama, and stayed for the Lalita Sahasranama and Mangala Aarati. Sadly I admit the only word I understood in the Sahasranama(s) was OM. And I think I caught 'Ishvari' in the Lalita Sahasranama.

I think they have books, but I'm sure they're in devanagari. A priest told me it's in Sanskrit. Everything at the temple is in Sanskrit. I'm going to try to obtain my own transliterated copies so I can at least follow along. For now I've printed out a .pdf version. But even if I can't follow along, the chanting and its vibrations and the connections in the temple were enough.

At the aarati, I could sing "Om Jai Jagdish Hare Swāmi Jai Jagdish Hare", but that was about it. I can print out the text to take with me. I make little booklets.

Now here's a real kicker... the pujaris were coaching me. They were giving me subtle little hand and eye gestures and smiles, motioning me to come closer, pointing where to go, and so on. When one of them distributed water he whispered "you drink it" and smiled.

Before we started, one of the pujaris called me over to him. He asked me if this was the first time I was there. I said I was there the other night for Vishnu Sahasranama, and that I was staying for the services tonight.

He asked me where I was from, and when I said about 20 miles away, his eyes opened up and he smiled. I told him I was drawn to Hinduism when I was a teenager. Again he looked impressed. I said I had been shy about going because clearly I'm not Indian and I didn't know what to expect. He smiled and motioned as if to say "don't be silly". Actually all they did was smile in my direction, come to think of it. Not at all aloof.

Now, the aarati was not what I expected. I thought it would be more "subdued", far from it. One pujari rang the hanging bell, a loud hanging bell, while Jai Jagdish Hare played, and another pujari waved the light at each of the shrines. Now this is something I really didn't expect... one of the pujaris motioned to me to come take the tray and wave it, as everyone else did. I think I've been accepted, and noticed, at least by the priests. ;)

Btw, EM was right... there weren't that many people, maybe 15 that came and went at various times. A few looked at me quizzically, but in no way unfriendly. Just before I left one of the pujaris looked over at me and smiled like to say "good job".

Eastern Mind
26 May 2012, 06:01 AM
Vannakkam TBTL: Sounds like a very friendly group of priests. My feeling is that Indians are often used to seeing Americans (or any westerners if its in India) scorning the faith, if not directly, then subtly, so a person like yourself is a welcome shift. Its great for Hinduism because the born in India (or Sri Lanka, Fiji, Guyana etc.) feels prouder of their faith, somehow, and it helps unravel past negativities.

So keep going. :) All you need is pyjamas and kurta, or dhoti, and some fake tanning stuff, and you'll fit right in.

It definitely seems like a conglomerate temples a the aarti song you mentioned is often not done in the South style.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
26 May 2012, 06:31 AM
Namaste EM.

Vannakkam TBTL: Sounds like a very friendly group of priests. My feeling is that Indians are often used to seeing Americans (or any westerners if its in India) scorning the faith, if not directly, then subtly,

Yes, very friendly. I think maybe because for the most part they are younger guys. Four priests I saw (there are eight at the temple) are in their 30s and the others are maybe 40-50ish. The three I interacted with, and the one doing a puja at Maa Saraswati's shrine (I guess it was a puja) were the younger ones.

OK, so now the truth will out as they say... ;) yes, that's what I was afraid of. I felt like that old cliche' that "a woman has to work twice as hard as a man to be thought half as good". Well, I've felt that I had to prove twice as hard as an Indian to be thought half as devoted because I'm a white westerner. But so far that hasn't been the case. In fact when I had to get up and sit in a chair at the far wall, one of the young members motioned to me to come closer and sit. I pointed to my back (the surgery); he looked as if to say "I understand". So that was very nice. But of course I did sit when and as long as I could.

so a person like yourself is a welcome shift. Its great for Hinduism because the born in India (or Sri Lanka, Fiji, Guyana etc.) feels prouder of their faith, somehow, and it helps unravel past negativities.

Anything to help heal wounds is welcome, I'm sure. I was reading somethng from Paramhansa Yogananda about that. I have to admit that all the Indians I have met anywhere are tickled pink, as it were, to hear I me say or indicate I'm Hindu.

And remember it is a young and growing community. I'm sure they're happy to have members that will help. I have no problem with volunteering for little things down the road, once I get to know my way around. It's just how I am. Once the ice is broken, I dive in head first.

So keep going. :) All you need is pyjamas and kurta, or dhoti, and some fake tanning stuff, and you'll fit right in.

It definitely seems like a conglomerate temples a the aarti song you mentioned is often not done in the South style.

Aum Namasivaya

Don't think the idea of getting a dhoti hasn't crossed my mind! I'll work on my tan this summer. You know, down here we have that thing called 'summer'. :Roll:

Jainarayan
26 May 2012, 10:55 AM
Namaste.

One quick question... what is the bell-shaped "crown", and its purpose, the priest holds over the devotee's head when distributing prasad of light, water, and fruits and nuts? It's quite a beautiful object.

Maya3
26 May 2012, 11:03 AM
Namaste Believer and all.

No, actually I thought the opposite... that I'd be sent packing and run out of town on a rail back here! :D

Well, I was the one who offered the promise. And I kept it. I went for the Vishnu Sahasranama, and stayed for the Lalita Sahasranama and Mangala Aarati. Sadly I admit the only word I understood in the Sahasranama(s) was OM. And I think I caught 'Ishvari' in the Lalita Sahasranama.

I think they have books, but I'm sure they're in devanagari. A priest told me it's in Sanskrit. Everything at the temple is in Sanskrit. I'm going to try to obtain my own transliterated copies so I can at least follow along. For now I've printed out a .pdf version. But even if I can't follow along, the chanting and its vibrations and the connections in the temple were enough.

At the aarati, I could sing "Om Jai Jagdish Hare Swāmi Jai Jagdish Hare", but that was about it. I can print out the text to take with me. I make little booklets.

Now here's a real kicker... the pujaris were coaching me. They were giving me subtle little hand and eye gestures and smiles, motioning me to come closer, pointing where to go, and so on. When one of them distributed water he whispered "you drink it" and smiled.

Before we started, one of the pujaris called me over to him. He asked me if this was the first time I was there. I said I was there the other night for Vishnu Sahasranama, and that I was staying for the services tonight.

He asked me where I was from, and when I said about 20 miles away, his eyes opened up and he smiled. I told him I was drawn to Hinduism when I was a teenager. Again he looked impressed. I said I had been shy about going because clearly I'm not Indian and I didn't know what to expect. He smiled and motioned as if to say "don't be silly". Actually all they did was smile in my direction, come to think of it. Not at all aloof.

Now, the aarati was not what I expected. I thought it would be more "subdued", far from it. One pujari rang the hanging bell, a loud hanging bell, while Jai Jagdish Hare played, and another pujari waved the light at each of the shrines. Now this is something I really didn't expect... one of the pujaris motioned to me to come take the tray and wave it, as everyone else did. I think I've been accepted, and noticed, at least by the priests. ;)

Btw, EM was right... there weren't that many people, maybe 15 that came and went at various times. A few looked at me quizzically, but in no way unfriendly. Just before I left one of the pujaris looked over at me and smiled like to say "good job".

It sounds like you go to a wonderful temple! That is so nice to hear.

So glad you like it.

I like that I don΄t understand most of the Sanskrit when I go to my temple, I like to sit and meditate and let the chanting be a background noise.
Though I have to pay some attention to the priest of course for the Aarati.
At the Ashram too we chant it and do a Homa ceremony (fire ceremony) first and meditate and then after that we study.
People get a sheet with the sanskrit text but without translation, and then after you can get one with translation. It is good to just listen to the vibration and not get distracted by figuring things out.

Not to say that you shouldn΄t I΄m just sharing what I like to do, maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

Maya

Jainarayan
26 May 2012, 12:02 PM
Namaste Maya.

It sounds like you go to a wonderful temple! That is so nice to hear.

So glad you like it.

Thanks. :)

I like that I don΄t understand most of the Sanskrit when I go to my temple, I like to sit and meditate and let the chanting be a background noise.
Though I have to pay some attention to the priest of course for the Aarati.

My feelings exactly. The chanting is mesmerizing, and conducive to letting the divine energy flow.

I agree abaout the part of paying attention at the aarati... there's little more that could be embarrasing than standing there zoned out with the priest or another person going "ahem" waiting for you to take the tray. :o

At the Ashram too we chant it and do a Homa ceremony (fire ceremony) first and meditate and then after that we study.

People get a sheet with the sanskrit text but without translation, and then after you can get one with translation. It is good to just listen to the vibration and not get distracted by figuring things out.

Not to say that you shouldn΄t I΄m just sharing what I like to do, maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

Maya

The sheet I found on the 'net starts like this:

ATHA DHYANAM
Shuklam-baradharam Vishnum shashivarnam chaturbhujam |
Prasanna vadanam dhyayet sarva vighnopa-shantaye ||
Vyasam vasistha-naptaram shakteh poutrama-kalmasham |
Parasha-raatmajam vande shukatatam taponidhim ||

Vyasaya vishnuroopaya vyasaroopaya vishnave |
Namo vai brahmanidhaye vasisthaya namo namah ||
Avikaraya shudhaya nithya paramathmane |
Sadaika roopa roopaya vishnave sarva gishnave ||
Yasya smarana-matrena janma-samsara bhandanat |
Vimuchyate namasta-smai vishnave pradha-vishnave ||
Om namo vishnave prabhavishnave
VAISHAMPAYANA UVACHA
Shrutva dharma nasheshana pavanani cha sarvashah |
Yudhishthirah shantanavam punareva abhya-bhashata ||
YUDHISHTHIRA UVACHA
Kimekam daivatam loke kim vapyekam parayanam |
Stuvantah kam ka marchantah prapnuyuh manavah-shubham ||
Ko dharmah sarva-dharmanam bhavatah paramo matah |
Kim japanmuchyate janthuh janma samsara-bandhanat ||
BHISHMA UVACHA
Jagat-prabhum deva-devam anantam purusho-tamam |
Sthuva nnama-sahasrena purushah satatottitah ||

Then later on it is like this (I just copied some random pages from the middle):

Somapo mrutapa-somah purujit-puru-sattamah |
Vinayo-jaya-satya-sandho dasha-rhah satva-tampatih || “54”
Jeevo vina-yita sakshee mukundo mita vikramah |
Ambho-nidhi rana-ntatma maho-dadhi-shayo-ntakah || “55”
Ajo maharhah svadhavyo jita-mitrah pramo-danah |
Anando nandano nandah satya-dharma trivi-kramah || “56”
Maharshih kapila-charyah krutagno medi-neepatih |
Tripada-strida-shadh-yakshah maha-shringah krutan-takrut || “57”
Maha-varaho govindah sushenah kana-kangadee |
Guhyo gabheero gahano gupta-shchakra gadadharah || “58”
Vedhah-svango jitah-krishno dridha-sankarshano chyutah |
Varuno varuno vrukshah pushka-raksho maha-manah || “59”
Bhaga-van bhagaha-nandee vana-malee hala-yudhah |
Adityo jyoti-radityah shishnur-gati-sattamah || “60”
Sudhanva khana-parashuh daruno dravinah pradah |
Divi-spru-ksarva drugvyaso vacha-spati rayonijah || “61”
Trisama samaga-samah nirvanam bheshajam bhishak |
Sanya-sakrutchha-mashanto nishtha-shantih para-yanam || “62”
Shubhanga-shanti-dasrushta kumudah kuva-leshayah |
Gohito gopati-rgopta vrusha-bhaksho vrusha-priyah || “63”
Anivarthee nivru-ttatma samkshepta kshema-krutchhivah |
Shree-vatsa-vakshah shree-vasah shree-pathih shree-matam varaah || “64”
Shreeda-shreeshah shree-nivasah shree-nidil-shree-vibhavanah |
Shree-dhara-shree-kara-shreyah shreem-man-lokatra-yashrayah || “65”
Svaksha svangah shata-nando nandi-rjyoti rgane-shvarah |
Viji-tatma vidhe-yatma satkeerti-shchhinna samshayah || “66”
Udeerna-sarva-tashchakshuh aneesha shashvatah sthirah |
Bhooshayo bhooshano bhooti vishoka shoka-nashanah || “67”

The Lalita Sahasranam looks like this:

Asyashrilalita sahasranama stotras mahamantrasya, vashinyadi
vagdevata
Rushayah anushtup chandaha shree lalita parameshari devata
shrimadvagbhava
Kutetibijam madhyakuteti shaktih shaktinyasam karanyasancha
kuryat mama
Shree lalita parameshari prasada sidhyardhe jape viniyogah
DHYANAM
Sinduraruna vigragam, trinayanam, manikyamaoli spharat
Taranayaka shekharam, smitamukhim, aapinavakshoruham
Panibhyam, alipurnaratna chashakam, raktotpalam bibhratim
Saomyam ratna ghatasdha raktacharanam
Dhyayetparamanbikam
Arunam karuna tarangitakshim
Dhruta pashankusha pushpa banachapam
Animadibhi ravrutam mayukhai
Rahamityeva vibhavaye, bhavanim
Dhyayetpadmasanasdham vikasita
Vadanam padmapatrayatakshim
Hemabham pitavastram karakalita
Lasadhemapadmam varangim
Sarvalankarayuktam satata mabhayadam
Bhaktanamram bhavanim
Shree vidyam shantamurtim sakala suranutam
Sarvasanpatpradatrim
Sakunkuma vilepana malikachunbi sasturikam
Samandahasi tekshenam sasharachapa pashankusham
Asheshajana mohini marunamalya bhushanbaram
Japakusuma bhasuram japavidhao smaredanbikam
Sree-mata shree maha-ragyni shreematsinha-saneshvaree
Chidagni kunda-sanbhuta deva-karya samudyata – 1
Udyadbanu saha-srabha chatur-bahu saman-vita
Raga-svarupa pashadya krodha-karanku-shojvala – 2
Mano-rupekshu kodanda pancha tanmatra sayaka
Nijaruna prabha-pura majabhramhanda mandala – 3
Chanpaka shoka punnaga saogandhika lasatkacha
Kuruvinda mani shrenee kanatkotira mandita – 4

It would be nice if what I found is the real deal.

Divine Kala
27 May 2012, 08:52 PM
Namaste.

One quick question... what is the bell-shaped "crown", and its purpose, the priest holds over the devotee's head when distributing prasad of light, water, and fruits and nuts? It's quite a beautiful object.

Namaste

From what I know, TBTL, the crown is Visnu's and represents the Lord's blessings. VERY South Indian. When I went to my local Shiva Visnu temple with my former neighbours, one of whom is a devotee of Visnu, she explained it like that.

Jainarayan
28 May 2012, 10:15 AM
Namaste DK.

Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense. It seems to be a blessing of the highest order, if it does indeed represent the Lord's crown!

I think we'll know (well, you'll all know) better after the new temple is finished and dedicated just how strongly it's influenced by north and south traditions. My guess is it's an equal mix of both. In this area I do know that there are Indians from all parts of India. So it would make sense to make everyone feel comfortable.

Btw, this is the main altar area. You can see how small and temporary the current temple is. This is from Tamil New Year. The priest standing in the center of the photo is the one who called me over to talk. You can see that they are all young.

Jainarayan
01 June 2012, 08:58 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into a blog, but I thought I'd share my latest experience at mandir.

Today is Pradosham, so there was a Sri Rudrabhishekam after the Vishnu Sahasranama and Lalitha Sahasranama, and Mangala Aarati. I was there a total of about 2 1/2 hours. I know, so much for being afraid to go to temple. :rolleyes:

During the Lalitha Sahasranama some of the people and one of the priests brought in boxes and boxes of fresh chrysanthemums to put in huge tubs of water for pujas tomorrow (Sri Satyanarayana Puja and Vaikasi Visakam, Lord Kartikeya's b'day). I'm going to miss these because my Saturday plans were pulled out from under me.

Well, I got up from my spot on the carpet and asked the priest and one of the women if I could be of any help. The lady (probably in her 30s) said yes, of course. We took the flowers out of the boxes, broke the stems and put them in the water. As we were working she and I were talking. I got the typical questions about where I was from, was I just visiting, etc.

I told her my story, which made her smile. I said, again, I was always afraid to come because I am "different". She dismissed that with a wave of her hand and an "oh stop! no one is different, we are all the same". We talked about how I hope that people see me as a regular and realize that westerners can be serious devotees. She liked that. She was especially impressed that I knew what was going on tonight.

We introduced ourselves by name and shook hands. She extended her hand to me; I wouldn't have done it because I understand Indians are not touchy-feely. I just do namaskar (which we did, and she smiled). She introduced me to her young daughters who were helping with the flowers.

So when that was done, the aarati and abhishekam began. The abhishekam was amazing. I'm not sure what I felt... I was more amazed and mesmerized by the site and the chanting. I think one chant was a Yajur Veda chant. I know this only because I have the recording in my iPod. :D It is hard to describe, but it felt as if the whole congregation was God, not that God was some separate entity that I should feel as being in a vacuum.

So I got some smiles from people, some odd/curious looks, some indifferent looks, but mostly pleasant. Especially when I did everything everyone else did and recited the "Asato ma sad gamaya" and "Tvameva Mata cha Pita" prayers with them... aloud. ;)

My wall is coming down pretty quickly. :)

Maya3
02 June 2012, 07:22 AM
So nice!

Thank you for sharing, I love reading about your experience.

I went to temple yesterday too, but my new job makes it so that I miss most of it :(, at least I got to the tail end of the puja, and then we had kirtan afterwards.

Maya

Jainarayan
02 June 2012, 08:11 AM
Namaste Maya (and all, of course ;)).

So nice!

Thank you for sharing, I love reading about your experience.

I went to temple yesterday too, but my new job makes it so that I miss most of it :(, at least I got to the tail end of the puja, and then we had kirtan afterwards.

Maya

I'm glad you enjoy my "narratives". I've been told I should have been a writer or a stage actor. :D

I'm glad that you got to go too. A number of people came to temple last nght at the very end of the abhishekam (wait until EM hears about the abhishekam, he'll flip for joy that I participated), so don't feel badly.

As I said to my new friend Radha (her daughter's name is Bhavani, I want to see something auspicious there in their names), my plans got screwed up today for Satyanarayana Puja and Vaikasi Visakam, but I'll aim for Satyanarayana Puja tomorrow for Purnima. There are times I will miss out on special days too. John Lennon said life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

Btw, if it was EM and DK who said it, they were right, there is a mix of north and south style in this community (I don't like the word 'congregation' for two reasons... it smacks of just "getting together" and the "other thing"). Admittedly and shamefully I had a bias for north style, but now I see the richness of both north and south and am glad I'm exposed to all of it. :)

Oh and I forgot to mention... yes, I put on tilaka. I didn't do such a great job, but it was there and I came home with it. I brought a prasad flower for my new baby grandniece who is not quite 5 weeks old.

Maya3
02 June 2012, 08:39 AM
I don't really understand what the difference between North and South style is?
My temple is South style, but I have to my knowledge not been in a north style temple.

Oh you have a grand niece! Congratulations!
I do too, she is 3 months now and the cutest little baby in the world! (sorry, I'm biased towards her, I cant help it)

My temple is very mixed, there are more westerners than Indians actually, it's probably very unusual especially since it's not an ISCKON temple.

Maya

Jainarayan
02 June 2012, 06:53 PM
Namaste.

I don't really understand what the difference between North and South style is?
My temple is South style, but I have to my knowledge not been in a north style temple.

I don't know the details of the differences between north and south style, but some of the activities and customs I described sounded like a mix of both north and south customs.

Oh you have a grand niece! Congratulations!
I do too, she is 3 months now and the cutest little baby in the world! (sorry, I'm biased towards her, I cant help it)

Congratulations to you too.

My temple is very mixed, there are more westerners than Indians actually, it's probably very unusual especially since it's not an ISCKON temple.

Maya

I hope that some day, especially after the permanent temple is finished, word gets around and we attract more westerners who are adopting and converting to Hinduism. I think it will be good for everyone, Indian and American-born.

ShriBala
31 July 2012, 03:57 PM
Namaste.

Namaskar. Pretty late in the day for this reply.

It is called a shaTArI. Some pronounce it as shaDArI as well.

It would have 2 small feet of the lord embossed on the top and when placed over the devotee's head, it's as if you are taking padanamaskar and are surrendering to the lord's feet. Sharanam at lord's charanam.

Generally a feature of Vaishnava temples, though the concept pretty much is valid everywhere in Hinduism.

Jainarayan
31 July 2012, 07:26 PM
Namaste.

Thanks for confirming that. I think I mentioned that the woman who works at the temple explained it that way initially.

Jodhaa
24 August 2012, 08:00 PM
Namaste Jainarayan,

I'm late to this discussion but I wanted to add that it is interesting to read about another person's introduction to a Hindu Temple. I'm glad it has been positive for you! It has been positive for me as well. I look forward to going every week and when I have to miss a visit I feel a little out of sorts because it has become such an important connection for me as I navigate through my new faith.

Judging from the pictures you posted, your Temple is in a similar situation as mine. They must keep all the deities in one place as a temporary set up until construction is complete. I've been given a tour of the worship area when the workers are gone and it is already breath-taking. I cannot wait for it to be complete!

Best wishes to you as you continue to grow with your community!

Peace!

Jainarayan
25 August 2012, 01:07 PM
Namaste Jodhaa.

It really is a beautiful temple, and now one of the largest in the US. We've been in the new temple building since July 1. It's still not completed cosmetically, but it's fully functional for services. The gopuram is still being worked on, but the interior is pretty much finished. In fact more murthis have been installed... giant brass ones of Garuda, Adi Shesha, Nandi, elephant for seevali, moushika, and Nataraja.

There is only one issue I have... there are so many deities and so many pujas that go on, often simultaneously, it seems to detract from the overall energy, as if it's watered down. I've seen occasions when people ran from one puja to another (no, I wasn't one of them ;)).

For instance, there could be an abhishekam for Sri Guruvayurappan (the presiding deity, a southern representation of Sri Vishnu), and a puja going on at the sanctum of Sri Venkateshwara, another southern representation of Sri Vishnu. And then we have a 3rd sanctum to Satyanarayana Swamy (Sri Vishnu again).

We have a huge sanctum for Sri Shiva; a huge one for Sri Ayyappan, with the 18 Holy Steps; Mahaganapati; Sri Radha-Krishna; Sri Ram Parivar; several to Devi in Her various forms (Ambika, Kannika Parameshwari, Meenakshi); Lord Kartikeya and His consorts; Mahalakshmi and Sri Andal (Bhumidevi, Mother Earth) who are the consorts of Sri Balaji (Venkateshwara); Sri Hanuman in His large own shrine; Navagrahas; and there are still more smaller shrines.

That just gives an idea of the size, which is 17,500 sq. ft. It is a city of temples, really. The people couldn't be nicer. I'd strongly suggest anyone new to Hinduism to not be afraid to enter a temple. Most Hindus are vegetarian, so they're not going to eat the person. :D

Jodhaa
25 August 2012, 07:53 PM
Namaste Jodhaa.

It really is a beautiful temple, and now one of the largest in the US. We've been in the new temple building since July 1. It's still not completed cosmetically, but it's fully functional for services. The gopuram is still being worked on, but the interior is pretty much finished. In fact more murthis have been installed... giant brass ones of Garuda, Adi Shesha, Nandi, elephant for seevali, moushika, and Nataraja.

There is only one issue I have... there are so many deities and so many pujas that go on, often simultaneously, it seems to detract from the overall energy, as if it's watered down. I've seen occasions when people ran from one puja to another (no, I wasn't one of them ;)).

For instance, there could be an abhishekam for Sri Guruvayurappan (the presiding deity, a southern representation of Sri Vishnu), and a puja going on at the sanctum of Sri Venkateshwara, another southern representation of Sri Vishnu. And then we have a 3rd sanctum to Satyanarayana Swamy (Sri Vishnu again).

We have a huge sanctum for Sri Shiva; a huge one for Sri Ayyappan, with the 18 Holy Steps; Mahaganapati; Sri Radha-Krishna; Sri Ram Parivar; several to Devi in Her various forms (Ambika, Kannika Parameshwari, Meenakshi); Lord Kartikeya and His consorts; Mahalakshmi and Sri Andal (Bhumidevi, Mother Earth) who are the consorts of Sri Balaji (Venkateshwara); Sri Hanuman in His large own shrine; Navagrahas; and there are still more smaller shrines.

That just gives an idea of the size, which is 17,500 sq. ft. It is a city of temples, really. The people couldn't be nicer. I'd strongly suggest anyone new to Hinduism to not be afraid to enter a temple. Most Hindus are vegetarian, so they're not going to eat the person. :D

Holy smokes! That's a lot of pujas! :)

The final temple here will have 12-13 murtis when all is said and done. The main deities will be - (toward one end of the hall,) Shiva (lingam) Maa Durga, and Sri Balaji. Ganesha will greet visitors as the enter (right or left I can't remember). The other deities will be on opposing walls leading up to the main three. I don't know the other deities represented yet. There is a diagram on the temple website but it has changed a bit since. We won't be able to worship in the main area until next year (June/July) so we have a while to wait. Patience is a virtue, as they say.:) I am getting used to making my little flower malas for the little Sri Lakshmi in the temporary set up. I think I will miss her when she is replaced by the permanent murti. ;)

Peace!

PS. Thank you for explaining some of the identities of the deities you mentioned. There are many names there I have never heard!