PDA

View Full Version : "Lifted off the floor by consciousness"

wundermonk
26 May 2012, 11:32 AM
Story here (http://www.dailypioneer.com/vivacity/68214-lifted-off-the-floor-by-consciousness-.html).

Swami Shailendra Saraswati tells Ila Sankrityayan about ‘yogic flying’ and its benefits

When we talk about collective consciousness,” explained Swami Shailendra Saraswati, during a lecture on Maharishi’s Technology of the Unified Field of Physics and Vedic Sciences at IHC, “it is similar to the sum of all functions performed by various organisms and cells in the body.”

He continued, “But each organ, be it the eyes, ear, nose and mouth, are separate, as far as their functioning is concerned. And cells perform roles that are equal to those of single organisms.”

Saraswati said, “If each individual attains deeper consciousness, it helps to attain that uniform field.” Swamiji was holding a session on ‘Yogic Flying’, which he informed us can, “only be achieved through Transcendental Meditation.”

He added, “The technique opens awareness to Transcendental Consciousness and the Unified Field of Natural Law, which is the basis of awareness.” According to him, here you won’t have to curtail your desires for materialistic things, but it will automatically have those desires fulfilled, by learning to function from a state of pure consciousness.

This is the potential of Natural Law. The mind gains increasing support of nature during the fulfillment of one’s desires.

“With this thought, action spontaneously become in accordance with the evolutionary power of natural law. Then one’s ability to function will increase. Moreover, this yoga will give you mental satisfaction.”

He began the yoga by sitting in sukhasana, eyes closed, placing both hands behind him.

“It may take at least two months or more to learn this yoga. The important thing, to remember, he said, “is your mind should be stress free while doing it. There should be no attempt to keep your body straight.” The process begins with the Rasayana Mantra. Reciting ‘Ram, Rahim.’ There syllable ‘R’ dislodges stress stick in the nervous system. It is recited first by speaking from the mouth and repeating in the mind. This is done for twenty minutes.

The later stage is when one recites eighteen sutras from Patanjali Yogic Sutra for another 20 minutes. “The last one, the ‘flying sutra’ is long and difficult,” Saraswati said.

The ‘flying technique’ resembled hopping in one place. The body was raised up and down.

According to him this helps increasing intelligence, learning ability, creativity, and neurological efficiency. He shared that “a paper on The Scientific Research on TM, revealed that if one per cent of the population begins practicing this mediation, it reduces accidents and crime.”

During the first stage of yogic flying, the body lifts up and moves forward in short hops. And then, via that process, one experiences elation, lightness and ecstasy.

Through frequent practice, one can achieve a level of mental peace.

He added, “EEG (electroencephalography) studies show that during this practice, when the body lifts up, coherence is maximum in brain wave activity.

“Optimum coherence in brain functioning creates perfect coordination between mind and body. The effect is more, when yogic flying is practiced in groups. The influence of unity spreads in the environment, reducing negative tendencies and promoting positive ones.

“The impact was visible during 1983 when about 7000 people took part in a collective meditation session in Iowa. I was a part of it,” recalled Saraswati. “Collective consciousness gives the best result.”

I was taught TM (Transcendental Meditation) in my school days. Surely I have benefitted from it. But Yogic flying? I am not sure. The picture from the article does depict the Swami above the ground. But I do not know for sure.

Picture from article:

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh529/wundermonk/Yogic_flying.jpg

yajvan
26 May 2012, 11:48 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

This experience is called out in the yogatattva upaniṣad,
as a frog leaps, so does the yogin sitting in the padama posture moves on earth. With increased practice he is able to rise above the ground.

I have no doubts that this ability is possible.
praṇām

Maya3
26 May 2012, 03:54 PM
Possibly some kind of hopping, because the body can jerk in deep meditation. But flying, no I don´t believe it.

If anything someone may have an out of body experience, but the body would still sit on the floor.

Maya

Sahasranama
26 May 2012, 04:17 PM
I don't believe that the followers of Maharshi Mahesh Yogi can do this. They have shown on television how these people practice hopping from the floor in padmasana from trampolines and thick mats. Of course, a true yogi with siddhis could do many feats that seem impossible, but for these new age yogis from the Maharshi Mahesh Yogi sect, these are simply magic tricks, optical illusions and camera editing to fool people.

McKitty
26 May 2012, 04:26 PM
Hello,

Well I don't really have views on this subject (Or at last a skeptic one, but it's not interesting) But as a graphic student, I can say that the fist photo seems modified. Just an exemple: the light. For a light so intense, or directly above him, the shadow should not be blurred like this.

Aum

yajvan
26 May 2012, 07:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If this ability was not possible patañjali muni would not call it out in his yogadarśana. Nor would we find this called out in the upaniṣad-s.

Yet my intent is not to convience the reader; you must find out for yourself.

praṇām

silence_speaks
13 June 2012, 07:44 AM
:) How does it matter? Meditation is not for that purpose.
There are easier "Baloons" that allow flying.

Patanjali maharshi also warns that people should not get attracted towards such things as flying etc. These may or may not be true. I am not sure, coz i cannot fly :D

... But then the purpose of meditation is not to fly in air.

devotee
13 June 2012, 08:57 AM
Namaste,

I believe Maharishi Patanjali and Gurus who assert that an accomplished Yogi can fly. In fact, they can appear anywhere they like.

However, the picture is too dramatic and therefore, raises doubts.

OM

silence_speaks
13 June 2012, 11:55 PM
:) I would stay away from any swami who exhibits such powers...
because : why exhibit powers like that ?
such powers are really impediments according to Patanjali maharshi and Sri Krishna [in BG and uddhava Gita]

and its also easy to fall prey to charms etc.

yajvan
14 June 2012, 11:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

:) How does it matter? Meditation is not for
that purpose.

There is one small technicality you may have overlooked... patañjali’s yogadarśana calls out these siddhi-s for a purpose. They are there to develop saṁyama. They are not there for entertainment. Siddhi-s are predicated upon the development of samādhi . Meditation is for the grooming of samādhi. This is the connection point of the two. This is the value.

Now one may choose not to practice any type of siddhi and that is fine. Yet it will not come (anyway) without the grooming of samādhi .

So for those that care not to proceed in any type of siddhi practice it will not occur any way for without samādhi no siddhi-s will germinate. It is that simple.

praṇām

ShivaFan
15 June 2012, 12:33 AM
I don't know about lifting off the floor and floating for a few moments, I do recall it was so claimed by TM folks back in the 1970's. I remember a friend had a mther who lived right next door who was going to TM events, and seeing her siting and it looked like she was trying to lift off if you will, but of course never did.

TM was very popular back then, I recall seeing Maharishi Mahesh Yogi posters here and their, in book stores even and even in the office rooms of teachers at school or University.

But then, I never visited any of their events, I think I recall they wanted to charge sort of a high fee to do so.

But everyone pretty much has seen amazing things that are mysterious or spiritual or even hard to tell others for fear of their reaction.

For example, once my friend and myself visited a Radha Krishna Temple (yes, ISKCON, please no anti ISKCON bleeb right now, I visit many, many temples Om Nama Sivaya) ... well there were only three people total in the temple, not sure why the Radha and Krishna murthis were there in view while there was no puja or other such as a pujari.

It was in the afternoon. Three of us just sitting, I did not know the third person. Radha was in a certain position and location. Not that myself was taking particular mental note of this location, but then looking up ... well She moved about 1 foot closer out in front and towards Krishna. I did not see Her move, I just realized that She was not in the same location.

My hair literally stood up on my neck. You have heard of such an expression, but it is true.

What is weird is all three of us immediately left the altar area and we all noticed it and we stunned. Actually it was somthing, we thought was there an earthquake?

Don't know.

silence_speaks
15 June 2012, 02:33 AM
Dear Yajvan,
:) Harih om!
Your point is correct. I have not overlooked it :) but was just pointing at the need to give no attention to such powers.
if i start by giving attention to such powers, how can I gain vairagya ? is not vairagya important qualification ?

Its true that Siddhi is only due to practise of Samayama in a specific way. For example by practise of dharana,dhyana and samadhi on past present and future ... one would get one particular siddhi etc.

:) A person who is interested in Self Realization would not do it however. He would rather Revel as Self ... coz past, present and future are all mithya... not worth their attention :)

Eastern Mind
15 June 2012, 11:42 AM
Vannakkam: I've never really understood the need to 'demonstrate' such things. I do believe it is possible, but not by ordinary folk.

Once upon a time I had the opportunity to see the great hatha yoga expert, Iyengar. Many folks there, including myself, wanted to see his demonstration. But we were told that he no longer did public demonstrations. Back then I was disappointed. Now I see the wisdom in it. Its not about what you can do, but your approach. Humility is always advisable.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
16 June 2012, 07:51 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

When one hears of siddhi-s they think of flying, becoming invisible, being in two places at the same time. All great powers no less. Yet if we look to patañjali’s yogadarśana, the 3rd chapter called vibhūti pāda, he calls out various siddhi-s or perfections. He calls out in the 23rd ( some may have this as the 24th ) sūtra, the following:

maitryādiśu balāni ||
maitrī = friendliness + ādiśu = aim or intent ( some say 'and the others') + balāni = powers, strengths
Note that since this is a sūtra the words 'by practicing saṁyama' is implied as this is defined in the initial instruction of this 3rd chapter itself.

This formula says the power (balāni) of friendliness is the intent (ādiśu) by practicing saṁyama on friendliness ( maitrī ) and others (ādiśu). This 'and others' means other virtues like compassion, goodwill, harmlessness (ahiṁsā ) etc. are developed. Hence one can increase the quality of universal harmlessness and friendliness offered to all creatures via ones sādhana.

So we need to be mindful that these siddhi-s have practical uses to groom the whole human experience. It is not about the flying. That is like the candy used to attract the children to do thier practice. With the practice better things occur and one natually unfolds their full potential.

If one is settled, possessed, steeped in friendliness from where can hiṁsā¹ arise ? This is the wisdom offered by patañjali.

praṇām

1. hiṁsā - harm

Mana
17 June 2012, 04:41 AM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste yajvan,

Thank you for reminding me of this perspective, it can be so easy to get caught up in ones lot, that we quickly forget where we are.
As we hop along life's ups and downs.

There is such wisdom in this offering, and this practis is at the very root of so many a beautiful path, already trodden.

I like to equate this to the level of ones spiritual energy, when one has established the posture so as not to waver at the slightest of
hurdles. Ones elevated spirit can literally float above any troubled water; resisting any attempt to darken the mood or dampen the
spirit. No longer drawn into all the games and competition, as such one may be considered float above samskara, flight or levitation
seems a very fitting analogy to me.