PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Subforums

philosoraptor
28 May 2012, 10:09 AM
Namaste all,

I wonder if anyone else is feeling that we have too many subforums with overlapping subjects. For example, "God in Hindu Dharma" and "Philosophy" forums have more or less the same scope of discussion. And both of these have the same scope of discussion as "Scriptures," since you have to refer to scripture to make any point about philosophy or God. Under the "God in Hindu Dharma" forum there are subforums for "Vaishnava," "Shaiva," "Shakta," and then, strangely, for "Hare Krishna (ISKCON)." I would think that ISKCON beliefs would fall under the "Vaishnava" heading, and I wonder if putting them separately would not be perceived as a slight to them. Furthermore, there are other "Hare Krishnas" (quite a few actually) who are not part of ISKCON. More the point, discusion of "concepts of the Supreme in Sanatana Dharma here" would seem to be the basis for Philosophy, and yet these are two different forums.

Under Philosophy we have the Dvaita, Advaita, Vishishtadvaita, and Paradvaita subforums. But Dvaita and Vishishtadvaita fall under the Vaishnavism banner - it's strange to have one forum for Vaishnavism elsewhere and two others here.

Similarly, there is a separate forum for Yoga, but this too is not really distinct from Philosophy. The significance of bhakti-yoga vs jnana yoga and karma yoga also depends to a great deal on the school of thinking to which one belongs.

I just think that having so many different subforums makes it harder to look for interesting discussions. I wonder if the moderators might consider merging the God, Scriptures, Philosophy, and Yoga forums and have a single tree structure underneath the merged forum, which I suppose you could just call "Main." The branches could be "Advaita," "Vishishtadvaita," "Dvaita/Tattvavaada," "Paradvaita/Kashmir Shaivism," "Achinta Bedha Abedha Vaada" etc. For the description of this main forum you could write, "Discuss concepts of God, scriptures, yoga systems, and philosphical systems" here. This would merely be on possible suggestion.

regards,

Philosoraptor

yajvan
28 May 2012, 11:43 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Namaste all,

I wonder if anyone else is feeling that we have too many subforums with overlapping subjects.

We have been told on occasion that there needs to be additional sub-forms, that granularity is needed.

Having a forum is more of an art then a science and is driven by the author's and reader's interest. I have found over the years this waxes and wanes in ability, depth, and interest.

praṇām