PDA

View Full Version : Literally brought to tears (White girl gone Hindu)

Karmeleon
03 June 2012, 02:29 PM
I have considered myself a "Christian" my whole life due to going to Christian schools and family influence. But it never felt right. I felt very spiritual and wanted so badly to love Christianity with all my heart but after a decade I just couldn't get there. I knew I believed in ONE God but I just couldn't accept Christianity's "All or nothing" mentality. I thought (mistakenly) that Hinduism involved believing in more than one true God so I didn't even look into it for a very long time.

Going to Bible study and feeling so out of place and like an outsider I decided to see what Hinduism truly was. What's the worst that could happen? Well, after reading about it's beliefs and a bit into The Upanishads I literally was brought to tears. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! It is exactly what I have always felt in the deepest part of my soul. I can't believe it's taken this long for me to find it but I'm SO glad I did!!!

I feel whole for the first time in my life. There are other people who feel the way I do! My truest thoughts and feeling aren't that crazy!!! Mind you, I am very early into all of this but I am reading everything I can get my hands on and loving every minute of it! Just thought I'd share the beginning of my story! :) More to come !!!

c.smith
03 June 2012, 10:49 PM
Hari Om!

Welcome.

Remember that there is always more than the initial "aha" moment. Please browse the forums, search out your own soul, and find the support that you will need as you embark on the path of Sanatana Dharma.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

ShivaFan
04 June 2012, 01:33 AM
You are not a "white girl". You are a Hindu.

IcyCosmic
04 June 2012, 02:30 AM
Hey Karmeleon, welcome to HDF! I'm happy to know that you find peace in the timeless knowledge of Hinduism - my girlfriend who is also white and christian tried to learn it and connect with it but she is still attached to her own religion so I told her to leave it as it would be unwise.

It's awesome to know you've started your journey in Hinduism.

kallol
04 June 2012, 06:01 AM
Welcome aboard. Wish you a fulfilling journey

PARAM
04 June 2012, 08:22 AM
Karmeleon, you are heartly welcome

Karmeleon
04 June 2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you for all the warm wishes everyone :)

philosoraptor
04 June 2012, 07:52 PM
I have considered myself a "Christian" my whole life due to going to Christian schools and family influence. But it never felt right. I felt very spiritual and wanted so badly to love Christianity with all my heart but after a decade I just couldn't get there. I knew I believed in ONE God but I just couldn't accept Christianity's "All or nothing" mentality. I thought (mistakenly) that Hinduism involved believing in more than one true God so I didn't even look into it for a very long time.

Going to Bible study and feeling so out of place and like an outsider I decided to see what Hinduism truly was. What's the worst that could happen? Well, after reading about it's beliefs and a bit into The Upanishads I literally was brought to tears. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! It is exactly what I have always felt in the deepest part of my soul. I can't believe it's taken this long for me to find it but I'm SO glad I did!!!

I feel whole for the first time in my life. There are other people who feel the way I do! My truest thoughts and feeling aren't that crazy!!! Mind you, I am very early into all of this but I am reading everything I can get my hands on and loving every minute of it! Just thought I'd share the beginning of my story! :) More to come !!!

Congratulations Karmeleon! I hope you find what you are looking for. Hinduism is vast and heterogeneous. There is no, one Hindu religion. What is called Hinduism is a large variety of religious doctrines many with very different world views and God concepts.

For a beginning look at some of the philosophical concepts found in the Upanishads, as well as an introduction to some of the rich devotional stories that are part of the underlying Hindu fabric, you may wish to reach Srimad Bhagavata-Mahapurana (http://www.gitapress.org/Search_By_Code.asp?PageNo=8&all=4&txtSearch=English&txtLan=English&txtauthor=English&txtCat=English&Mv=Previous+Page). The Gita Press edition is very good and quite easy and pleasing to read. There is an online version available at http://vedabase.net/sb/en . This version has its own commentary. I would suggest reading the English translations first to get a sense of the story. Bear in mind that any translation will reflect the philosphical disposition of the translator.

Another good book is the Vishnu Purana (http://www.parimalpublication.com/Bookdesc.aspx?id=76) of which an online version can be found here (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/index.htm).

Between the Bhagavata Purana and Vishnu Purana, I would say that both are very philosophical and devotional. But the devotional/emotional character comes out more in the Bhagavata while the Vishnu Purana feels more philosphical. The subject matter of both is the same.

Needless to say, the Bhagavad-gita is a must. If you found the Upanishads easy to digest, you might consider starting with the Gita.

I wish you the best of luck in your new, spiritual journey.

regards,

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 08:22 AM
Namaste Karmeleon.

Welcome. :)

You are not a "white girl". You are a Hindu.

:goodpost:

Truly. We all bleed the same color blood. ;)

I felt the same way as Karmeleon, and it's what kept me from going to temple and missing out on a nice (better than nice) experience.

When I said I was uncertain about going because I am "different", i.e. a "white boy", two of the temple members, both Indian women, waved their hands dismissively and said to the effect "oh stop! you are not different, we are all the same and all welcome".

Now I look forward to going to temple any chance I get. :D