PDA

View Full Version : Was John Lennon referring to Advaita in I Am The Walrus?

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 09:21 AM
I know, totally off the wall brainfart.

I think John Lennon (knowingly or not) was simplistically referring to Advaita in I Am The Walrus: "I am he as you are he and you are me and we are all together". He was, after all on an acid trip when he wrote the song (it heightens perception... uh, so I've read), and it was at the time The Beatles were influenced by Hinduism.

Discuss?

No?

Ok. :p

devotee
05 June 2012, 10:49 PM
Namaste TBTL,

It is difficult to read the mind of Jhon Lennon ! :)

However, experiencing Non-duality is not exclusive to Hinduism alone. It has been experienced by many people of various religions at the height of spiritual experience. Patanjali tells us in Yogsutras that some drugs help in this. So, may be what you are saying is true. However, use of drug is very dangerous as we all know ... it is difficult to say where one would end up !

So, follow the path of the Yoga to experience the Reality as It is. :)

OM

ShivaFan
06 June 2012, 12:26 AM
Namaste

Yes Mr. Lennon had a disinterested interest in India and Hinduism.

But really, it was George Harrison who merged the music of India and in interest in yoga and Hinduism to other Beatles and musicians. In one way, Mr. Harrison played a part, however small or a moment in time in the 1960s and early 70s, in bringing what is called Hinduism to many in the West.

John was interesting. But I love George.

Hare Krishna to you Mr. George, you are with your Sweet Lord.

Shanti29
06 June 2012, 07:28 AM
Maybe, maybe not. This was a poetic era. I could just be that you're trying to see it that way. Mind altering substances are not the way to enlightenment!

Sahasranama
06 June 2012, 08:15 AM
I don't really care.

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 08:16 AM
Namaste devotee.

Namaste TBTL,

It is difficult to read the mind of Jhon Lennon ! :)

That's very true. :D

However, experiencing Non-duality is not exclusive to Hinduism alone. It has been experienced by many people of various religions at the height of spiritual experience. Patanjali tells us in Yogsutras that some drugs help in this. So, may be what you are saying is true. However, use of drug is very dangerous as we all know ... it is difficult to say where one would end up !

So, follow the path of the Yoga to experience the Reality as It is. :)

OM

The part in bold, I did not know.

I agree about doing it the "right way". :)

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 08:21 AM
Namaste

Yes Mr. Lennon had a disinterested interest in India and Hinduism.

Perhaps toying with it.

But really, it was George Harrison who merged the music of India and in interest in yoga and Hinduism to other Beatles and musicians. In one way, Mr. Harrison played a part, however small or a moment in time in the 1960s and early 70s, in bringing what is called Hinduism to many in the West.

John was interesting. But I love George.

Hare Krishna to you Mr. George, you are with your Sweet Lord.

George was my favorite. When he was ready to leave his body, he was surrounded by his wife Olivia, his son Dhani and some friends. He was chanting the names of the Lord right up until the end.

Maybe, maybe not. This was a poetic era. I could just be that you're trying to see it that way. Mind altering substances are not the way to enlightenment!

It may very well be a coincidence. Drugs certainly aren't the way to achieve anything.