PDA

View Full Version : Brahmamuhurta: do you practice sadhana at this time?

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 03:09 PM
Commenting in Wundermonk's post about information overload affecting our sadhana, I mentioned Brahmamuhurta. It prompted these thoughts:

It goes without saying I'm attempting to improve and raise my spiritual awareness and well-being. I meditate haphazardly during the day or in the evening, so I would like to establish a pattern whereby I can have the quiet time to meditate and even perform my small aarati when all is quiet at that time. Especially because Brahmamuhurta is an auspicious time. I understand that Brahmamuhurta is from 3:30 - 5:30 am. How long does it take to adapt to getting up at let's say 4:30 am in order to wash up, do japa and Surya Namaskar? Now, at this time, is it general meditation or japa or both that's done?

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 03:54 PM
Namaste.

I just thought of one more thing, sorry. :o

I've seen the SOHAM mantra, and since I have no guru to give me a mantra I tried SOHAM and OM. Breathing and meditating with both of them has a very peaceful effect and is easy to do. The question is: does one meditate on these by time, say 10, 15, 30 mins., or can a mālā be used?

yajvan
05 June 2012, 04:09 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

First one needs to be mindful of what time brāhma-muhūrta begins. You can actually ~feel~ it if you are outside, you will sense this time as uplifting.

Brāhma-muhūrta begins 2 muhūrta before sunrise. We know that sun-rise changes by the day and season, yet one can adjust accordingly as it is easy to do.

So, 1 muhūrta equals 48 minutes; 2 muhūrta = 96 minutes or 1.6 hrs. before sunrise. For those studying jyotish, this time can also be measured in ghaṭikā-s , but we will leave that for another time.

praṇām

philosoraptor
05 June 2012, 04:42 PM
I do my meditation during the brahma-muhurta. It's the best time, when the rest of the house is asleep and I'm well-rested and am not thinking about the previous day's stresses.

I'm curious though. How many of you who do sandhya-vandanam do it outside as opposed to indoors within your prayer room? I understand that doing it outdoors facing east (during prAtaH sandhya) is the correct procedure, but I wonder how many of those living outside India still follow that standard.

yajvan
05 June 2012, 07:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Brāhma-muhūrta begins 2 muhūrta before sunrise.
Brāhma-muhūrta is part of saṃdhyopāsana: saṃdhyā + upāsana = saṃdhyopāsana. That is, when during the junction points of the day (saṃdhyā , some say saṃdhi) upāsana¹ is performed.

There are 3 times during the day : dawn ( and hence brāhma-muhūrta), noon & twilight. Each time has their entry point measured in muhūrta or in ghaṭikā-s.These 3 are sometimes known as traikālika saṃdhyā. Yet for some that are instructed where there is a 4th or chatur-saṃdhyā and this comes a midnight. We find those instructed with gāyatrī may have this 4th period. It is not for entry practitioners.

praṇām

1. upāsana - worship, spiritual endevors, meditation, etc.

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 07:53 PM
Namaste yajvan.

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

First one needs to be mindful of what time brāhma-muhūrta begins. You can actually ~feel~ it if you are outside, you will sense this time as uplifting.

Brāhma-muhūrta begins 2 muhūrta before sunrise. We know that sun-rise changes by the day and season, yet one can adjust accordingly as it is easy to do.

So, 1 muhūrta equals 48 minutes; 2 muhūrta = 96 minutes or 1.6 hrs. before sunrise. For those studying jyotish time can also be measured in ghaṭikā-s , but we will leave that for another time.

praṇām

Thanks. I read somewhere that it is the 48 mins. before sunrise. But that doesn't leave much time for preparing for meditation, and meditation itself. Then I read the 2 hours, which seems to be just rounding off. I like your explanation better. :)

I also considered the time that sunrise changes as the seasons progress. My temple's calendar lists sunrises, as does the Vaishnava Calendar Services site. We recognize daylight saving time here. Tomorrow (6/6/12) sunrise is 05:28 by the temple's calendar. So I figure that Brahma muhūrta begins at roughly 04:00 here.

Yes, I have felt the difference in the morning at that time, when I worked overnights and went outside. There's a calmness and peace.

yajvan
05 June 2012, 08:36 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If I may let me offer something additional from a past post...

One other thing that is less technical but very insightful is from the mahābhārata. Bhīṣma-ji is lying on a bed of arrows. As he prepares to exit the body, he praises kṛṣṇa-ji in multiple ways/names and forms. One attribute he says is the following: the saṁdhi's are thy joints.

We know that kṛṣṇa-ji is brahman ; Bhīṣma-ji also calls kṛṣṇa-ji the same, he says thou are the highest of the high, brahma¹ . So what does this tell us ? Saṁdhi is a joint , a connection point, a union point and is equal to saṁdhya. We have talked of it as being the 4 junction points of the day. That is a most attractive time for engaging in one's upāsana. From this information we can see why. It is that time that is close to brahma, Pure Being, kṛṣṇa-ji, the Divine, Pure Awareness. Yet there is more.
Kṛṣṇa-ji's time of the day are his joints (saṁdhi) but this also occurs between each yuga or age and at the end of each manvantara and kalpa. He is that perfect pause or rest ( another definiton of saṁdhi).

This pause or rest (saṁdhi) can also be found between each breath. It too is there. This pause or rest is found in madhya - central, middlemost, neither one or the other. Some say it is the 3rd.

This is one key principle found in the vijñāna bhairava of kaśmir śaivism. In this middle-most one can find nirvikalpaṃ or nirvikalpa - not wavering ; it also means not admitting an alternative , free from change or differences.

praṇām

1. brahma for brahman. - Note the following derivatives - brahma is used for the impersonal Supreme & brahmā for the personal Supreme

devotee
05 June 2012, 10:41 PM
Namaste ,

Yajvan ji has given good insight to sandhi-kaal again. I do it (prayer/yogic exercises/meditation/Kriya) in the morning and also in the evening. Morning time starts at around 4:30/5:00 and lasts upto 6:00. In the evening I am not able to maintain the sandhi-kaal timing due to my office timing. And I do it slightly late in the evening. In fact, the morning time too somewhat goes beyond Sun rise !

OM

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 08:26 AM
Namaste.

1. brahma for brahman. - Note the following derivatives - brahma is used for the impersonal Supreme & brahmā for the personal Supreme

I thought that was the case. I also read a reference to the time being devoted to Brahman, rather than the creator Lord Brahma, as one might interpret it.

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 08:49 AM
Namaste.

Namaste ,

Yajvan ji has given good insight to sandhi-kaal again. I do it (prayer/yogic exercises/meditation/Kriya) in the morning and also in the evening. Morning time starts at around 4:30/5:00 and lasts upto 6:00. In the evening I am not able to maintain the sandhi-kaal timing due to my office timing. And I do it slightly late in the evening. In fact, the morning time too somewhat goes beyond Sun rise !

OM

How long did it take to adapt to rising so early? And how did you do it?

For example, I got home from temple last night about 8 pm. By 10:30 I was in bed. I woke up around 5 am this morning, but I remember thinking to myself that today would not be the day to do sadhana during brahma muhurta. :( I fell asleep until 6:15. I truly would like to be able to wake up, ready to go around 4-4:30 am, but I think the problem is I don't sleep well.

I admit that on the nights I go to temple, I have about 20 minutes from the time I get there until the Sri Vishnu Sahasranama starts at 6 pm. It gives me a chance to clear and calm my mind. Even during the chanting of the sahasranama by the priests (of which I do not understand a word), the chanting is conducive to meditating.

All bets are off any other time in the evening at home. I really have to find a way in the house (and using foam earplugs) that I can devote to meditation and prayers. I would prefer to do it at my shrine, but because it is in part of the "great room", a stupid architectural design in the US of combining the living room and dining room areas into one big open space, the tv is a great distraction, even with earplugs, because of the light and the flashing images on the screen.

I guess I'm asking for ideas on how to accomplish this given the disadvantages I'm up against.

c.smith
06 June 2012, 01:19 PM
Hari Om!

Sw. Sivananda has written in many of his books on the subject. He suggests getting up one half hour earlier than your normal wake time for a period, then another 1/2 hour, etc until you are up at the desired time. I admire your efforts here and know from personal experience that you will benefit greatly.

From my own practice, after washing hands, feet, etc, I do some pranayam and light yoga. Helps me wake and ready myself for meditation.

In terms of SOHAM, I simply use time as a guide. www.swamij.com (http://www.swamij.com) may give you additional ideas and information.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 01:57 PM
Namaste c.

I've read Swami Sivananda and missed that part. :headscratch: It makes sense to not try to make a major change overnight (was the pun intended or not? you decide :p ).

I may use SOHAM as a preparation and for pranayama, but use OM to chant on, since I'm not initiated into a mantra.

c.smith
06 June 2012, 03:17 PM
Hari Om!

Yes, by all means use OM. And certainly not to change the way you do things, but do consider the fact that you breathe SOHAM anyway, so initaited or not you are "chanting" this mantra 24/7.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Jainarayan
06 June 2012, 03:30 PM
Hari Om!

Yes, by all means use OM.

Great.

...do consider the fact that you breathe SOHAM anyway, so initaited or not you are "chanting" this mantra 24/7.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

I read that too... we breathe 'soooo' on the inhalation and 'hummmm' on the exhalation. Or some transliteration thereof.

c.smith
06 June 2012, 03:33 PM
Yes, and in terms of meditation if you choose to try it, breathe "SO" up the spine and "HAM" down. Quite energizing.

devotee
07 June 2012, 01:54 AM
Namaste TBTL,

It said that you must force yourself to do something continously for 21 days to change even stubborn habits ! May be that works for you.

I get early in the morning since my childhood, so it has become a habit. However, one thing is for sure : If you want to rise early in the morning, you must go to bed early !

OM

Jainarayan
07 June 2012, 09:09 AM
Namaste devotee.

Yes, a habit can take even as long as 6 weeks to form or break.

I set my alarm clock for 5 am today, but I did not make it. I was only half awake until 5:30 when I bounced out of bed (but not without addressing the clock with a word that refers to barnyard effluvium :o ).

I will set my alarm for 5:30 for a while. It think 5:00 was too ambitious considering it's ordinarily set for 6:00. Even then I don't get out of bed until 6:15 or 6:20. So today was remarkable.

I'm not sure how much earlier I can go to bed and have something left of the evening for reading or even some guitar playing. I get home from temple at about 8 pm (gotta stay for the Mangala Aarti!). But that has been only Tues. or Wed. and Fri., so 2 nights.

Though I think 10 pm is neither too late nor too early for a 4:30 am wake-up time. It's 6 1/2 hours sleep, which most Americans get. There is the possibility of a "power nap" at lunch time.

When there is a will, there is a way.