PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't know where to begin when entering

Jainarayan
07 June 2012, 12:22 PM
This is a 10 min. video of the almost-completed temple. There will even be a goshala on the grounds. The milk from the cows will be used for abishekam.

This is a city of temples within a temple; it's not to be believed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uYEYZSzrit0

Vaikuntha Bound.
08 June 2012, 05:09 PM
Namaste!

That's amazing. I can't believe how ornate that is, and the carvings of the dashavataras were out of this world. Thanks for sharing that.

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 07:01 PM
Namaste.

It is my pleasure to share. :)

I read some more... it's 17,500 sq. ft. on 40 acres. There will be an elephant procession bearing Sri Guruvayurappan, the presiding diety. An elephant procession in central NJ... what will they think of next!? ;)

The priests quarters are 12 fully furnished apartments. I suppose it's like what we call garden apartments. There are currently 9 priests with I believe a few more being hired.

This will now be the largest Hindu temple in the US. NJ isn't only oil refineries and mobsters anymore. :Roll:

And you know I will provide as much as I can about the finished temple and mahakumbhabhishekam and grand opening.

charitra
09 June 2012, 05:55 PM
The prospect of participation of an ‘elephant in New JersyMandir’ inauguration ceremony clearly caught my attention. Elephants in asia are more or less domesticated to function as horses or cattle, just as camels in sahara desert area are. By the way India’s Rajastan and its desert, Thar, also has its own complement of domesticated camels. Now that it is highly likely that an elephant makes a presence on the upcoming kumbabhishekham day, I am curious as to who will train the pachyderm to put up with the crowds and more importantlythe loud music that goes on on that day. Don’t think they will import one from asia though, more likely one from local area ( a zoo, circus?) is hired. Does law enforcement allow this largest terrestrial mammal walk alongside people, only time will tell.

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 06:16 PM
My guess is that the elephant(s) will be loaned from one of the zoos, circuses or safari parks. Circus animals (btw, I deplore circuses) are accustomed to noise and crowds; zoo and safari park animals usually are not. So I lean towards a circus-trained animal. We've had our share of zoo and safari park tragedies, both human and four legged. I am sure that the elephant(s) will be kept away from people, or better yet the reverse. I'm sure the county SPCA will have a big say in the event. You are right, however, time will tell.

Eastern Mind
09 June 2012, 06:52 PM
Vannakkam: Looks like quite the temple. I like the fact that the sanctums are far apart, so you can feel a particular energy in front of each sanctum, rather than a sort of mish-mash. Really not sure about the elephant, but having its own cows for abhishekham milk will add a lot of energy. Its certainly not realy dharmic to use 'factory' milk as it most likely violates ahimsa. Happy cows equals happy energy.

I'm sure TBTL will get trampled by the crowds on opening day. ;)

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 07:43 PM
Namaste EM.

You are right about the commercial milk. I don't know where the temple gets milk now, but I've been to 2 or 3 abishekams in the past 2 weeks, and they go through gallons of milk.

One of the things I picked up in the video is that devotees will be able to do their own abishekams in the sanctum of their choice.

Trampled? Bah, knowing me I'll probably be part of crowd control. :D I may take a long time to start up, but once I get started, I dive in head first.

I even invited someone from the mall today, a total stranger. I was in a shop called East Meets West and found a couple of murthis (resin, of course :rolleyes: ) and 2 brass diyas. The woman was interested in what I was looking at and examining, and started asking me some questions. Her curiosity was insatiable. I did only the best I could to answer her. At any rate I told her about the temple and where to look it up on the 'net, and to come if she could.

Eastern Mind
09 June 2012, 08:17 PM
One of the things I picked up in the video is that devotees will be able to do their own abishekams in the sanctum of their choice.

Vannakkam: Not quite what I got from the video. Seemed to me there was one area reserved for that, yes, but other sanctums were for priests only. I have mixed feelings on that one, as I'm very used to the priest only way from here. So when I go to a temple where devotees are allowed (like in Salt Lake City for the Siva lingam) its kind of offsetting partly just because its not what I'm used to.

At some kumbabhishekhams devotees are allowed to participate in the first oiling of the deities, but this is before the eye-opening ceremony is performed. If you get that chance, do it, because it may well be the only time in this lifetime.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 08:38 PM
Namaste.

Vannakkam: Not quite what I got from the video. Seemed to me there was one area reserved for that, yes, but other sanctums were for priests only.

That's possible. The audio coupled with the background noise made it easy to miss something. I thought it was a bit odd that devotees would do their own abishekams.

I have mixed feelings on that one, as I'm very used to the priest only way from here. So when I go to a temple where devotees are allowed (like in Salt Lake City for the Siva lingam) its kind of offsetting partly just because its not what I'm used to.

Because the first thing I've seen is the priests doing the abishekams, that's what I've "imprinted on". It might be one thing to do a tiny one at home at my own altar, but I'm not so sure about doing it at temple.

At some kumbabhishekhams devotees are allowed to participate in the first oiling of the deities, but this is before the eye-opening ceremony is performed. If you get that chance, do it, because it may well be the only time in this lifetime.

Aum Namasivaya

I'll keep that in mind. I hope then, that I get the chance. I think if the young priest has anything to do with it, I just might get the chance. He wasn't there at the aarti after the Mahaganapati abishekam, but the first priest I met was. There were quite a few people there, and as anywhere, people worm in ahead of you.

So as the priests passed with prasad of light and fruits, and the crown, I got passed by. Oh well... But the one priest noticed it, tapped the other priest and pointed to me as if to say "hey, don't forget him", and the priest doubled back to give me prasad and blessing. I was touched by that. :) So the point is, I can see myself down the road getting more noticed than I have been, and being "adopted". ;)

Eastern Mind
10 June 2012, 07:00 AM
Vannakkam: The sensibility and compassion that some priests show during passing of prasad is touching. At Utah, the priest stood before the crowd after distribution, as if to say, "Did I miss anyone?" At other temples a queue is formed and each person walks by to receive. Having sincere devotees cme must make them happy.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
10 June 2012, 09:13 AM
Namaste.

You are right about the compassion and courtesy. As I mentioned in a couple of the posts while you were away, one of the priests in particular has apparently taken a liking to me. I see him most often. He makes a special effort to come greet me after the usual namaskars, and we exchange a few pleasantries. :)

Last week at aarti a few people cut in front of me for waving the light. So I just stood back, not wanting to be pushy. After all, that I was there is what God cares about. But the priest wasn't satisfied with that... as another person reached out for the plate with the lamp on it he noticed I had not gotten the plate, getting cut off by other people. He put his arm out to the person who was cutting in front of me, with a somewhat disapproving look on his face as if to say "enough of pushing this guy back". He motioned to me to come take the plate. I smiled and nodded to him and waved the light, passing it on.

I didn't take it personally that I was cut off; it only shows that people really are alike wherever you go. Rarely does anyone mean to offend, people just don't think. I think the queue, or "receiving line", as we say for approaching the bride and groom at a wedding, is a better way than just having people in a jumble. There were times that even after receiving prasad, people just stayed where they were instead of moving back.

Jainarayan
03 July 2012, 10:49 AM
Namaste.

I did not make it to the Kumbhabhishekam on Sunday. I was told that with the crowds, the heat and the general atmosphere, it was difficult to feel the purpose of the event. However, I went last night for the first time, for the Shiva Parvati Kalyanam, I will go tonight for a 108 kalasham abhishekam to Lord Guruvayurappan, Satyanarayana Puja, and then tomorrow night for Laksharchana to Lord Guruvayurappan. I will attempt to get my dhoti properly wrapped to wear it (Vrindavan-Gokul style).

Something I've been wondering is what do people generally pray when they stop at a sanctum? I see some people do a quick namaste mudra, others stay for a minute or three. Me, it depends... for example, at the Sri Radha-Krishna sanctum I say the Maha Mantra. At others, I just stand there for a few seconds with a namaste mudra, head bowed, and listen if the deity has something to say, and just feel the energy.

Do people sometimes make a request at the sanctum? I rarely ask for anything because I know God knows what I need (need, not want) before I ask; I am happy for whatever He sends to me. Though sometimes in a particularly difficult time I will ask for help to guide me in what to do.

charitra
03 July 2012, 01:30 PM
were there any elephants on the maha kumbhabishekam, that still I would like to know. :) Yes people do make a special mention of their wants at the sanctum sanctorum, thats just a belief some harbor, someothers make a recital of one mantra or the other. Some just stand silently. Namaste.

Jainarayan
03 July 2012, 01:53 PM
Namaste.

were there any elephants on the maha kumbhabishekam, that still I would like to know. :)

From what I understand the live elephant carried the murthi of Sri Guruvayurappan. As far as I know, there was only one. It was the live version of the weekly Seeveli. Last night the priests did the indoors version with a small wooden elephant and murthi. I'm sure there will be pictures on the website soon of the live procession. I'll make sure look for it and post it.

Yes people do make a special mention of their wants at the sanctum sanctorum, thats just a belief some harbor, someothers make a recital of one mantra or the other. Some just stand silently. Namaste.

OK, thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. Sometimes I will recite the deity's mantra once, like Om Sri Saraswatyai namaha, or Om Sri Hanumate namaha, etc. and bow.

Jainarayan
04 July 2012, 09:36 PM
Here are a couple of pitiful pix I got with my phone last night during the 108 Kalash Abhishekam to Lord Guruvayurappan. They don't do justice to the temple by a long shot (no pun intended).

The sanctum with the copper roof (which I imagine will get a green patina over time), in the center of the temple, is Sri Guruvayurappan's (the presiding deity). To the left and back is Sri Rama Parivar; to the right of and behind Sri Guruvayurappan, but not visible is Sri Radha-Krishna; the smaller one to the right is Sri Devi, then Sri Balaji (the guy in the blue shirt is standing between them); then Sri Satyanarayana Swami. Sri Andal (Bhudevi) is between Sri Balaji and Sri Satyanarayana Swami, but is not visible. It is the same size as Sri Devi's (Mahalakshmi). Sri Devi's and Bhudevi's have small steps in the front.

Back to Sri Guruvayurappan; in the last pic are Ambika's (r.) and Lord Shiva's (l.) sanctums. To the left and behind Lord Shiva's sanctum (which has a murthi of Nandi facing in), is Sri Ganesha's sanctum, as large as Ambika's, but not visible. In the lower left of the last pic is a small Shivalingam and murthi of Nandi.

Farther to the left, and barely visible (copper roof) is the sanctum of Lord Ayyappan. The sanctums of Lord Shiva and Lord Ayyappan are almost as large as Sri Guruvayurappan's. There is a set of 18 stairs and a door into the temple from the outside, directly in front of Lord Ayyappan's sanctum. Of course it's accessible from inside the temple. I was told, however, that no one would use the 18 steps unless they took a vow to Lord Ayyappan.

The temple was mobbed; I snapped the pix before the crowd came in. It was also Sri Satyanarayana Puja and Guru Purnima.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Minotauros_2007/0703021724a.jpg http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Minotauros_2007/0703021725.jpg http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Minotauros_2007/0703021734-1.jpg http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Minotauros_2007/0703021724.jpg

The sanctums of Ambika, Sri Ganesha, Sri Hanuman, Rama Parivar, Kala Bhairava and others are close to 6'x6' square and almost ceiling height. There are smaller sanctums to Tridevi, Gayatri, Sri Garuda, Navagrahas, Ardhanarishvara and others I can't think of right now. There are tv monitors that focus on the particular sanctum a puja is being performed in, so anyone anywhere in the temple can have a view directly into the sanctum.