PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected or unprepared for kundalini awakening?

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 09:02 AM
Namaste.

Shuddhasattva's thread on chakras prompted me to delve into it. I came across kundalini awakening. I've known that kundalini is the energy that sits at the base of the spine, analogized to a coiled serpent, but I never gave it any thought or read up on it. I've never been trained or guided in any forms of yoga, except bhakti and karma, which I think is inherent to everyone.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but from what I've read briefly of kundalini awakening it can happen spontaneously, sometimes with negative effects. The physical and psychological effects are listed as (red highlight are what I experience):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Unpreparedness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Physical_and_psychological_effects

Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body
Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra) (at night while sitting in the recliner, I will get a feeling of cold passing through my body usually from right to left, across my back.)
Spontaneous pranayama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranayama), asanas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana), mudras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra) and bandhas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandha)
Visions or sounds at times associated with a particular chakra
Diminished or conversely extreme sexual desire sometimes leading to a state of constant or whole-body orgasm
Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and repressed feelings or thoughts with certain repressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long periods of time.[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#cite_note-eastman_p41-17)
Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull
Increased blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
Emotional numbness
Antisocial tendencies
Mood swings with periods of depression or mania
Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
Loss of apetite or overeating
Bliss, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness

Why does this happen, and what can I do to control it? For years I've been treated for bipolar 2/hypomania, but I wonder if if it's not brain chemistry, but kundalini awakening. Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

Shuddhasattva
08 June 2012, 09:32 AM
Namaste

I personally find that 'kundalini awakening' (in the usual sense) and 'kundalini syndrome' and such are more the preserve of the Western spiritual supermarket, if I may use such a crass phrase, than of yoga/SD.

There is however an excellent book written by Gopi Krishna called Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man which documents a kundalini awakening gone awry.

There are 3 main nadis that run up the spine - Ida, Pingala & Sushumna. Kundalini is supposed to go up the Sushumna. Gopi Krishna's theory is that in his case, kundalini instead went up the wrong nadi (pingala) causing him terrible pains and anxieties.

Coming to your own case...

Here is my view, which I believe is supported by shastra and oral instruction. It is as given to me by my guru.

Embodied consciousness, its states, and the procession through those states is determined by the relative position of energy traveling through the nadis. It is said, as early as the Upanishads, that there are 72,000 nadis.

Many "sparks," if you will, of energy are traversing through many nadis simultaneously. The relative position and trajectory of them at any given time is sort of the blueprint of the current conscious state.

This energy is the pranas - varying types of subtle 'winds' or essences. All of these pranas are really subsidiaries of kundalini as the primordial vital energy.

The goal as generally stated of laya (kundalini) yoga is to pull back all of these disparate, disarrayed impulses meandering through one's system and push the prana, thus purified by withdrawal, into the central channel - the sushumna. This withdrawal if facilitated by realization of the magnetizing force of Shiva above, and self-identification with Kula Kundalini.

Kundalini is a constant phenomenon. It is both the universal energy and the vital energy. Any embodied creature is experiencing kundalini so to speak - consciousness is kundalini, citkala. However, it is in a disordered and slumbering state, drunk with the rasa of maya.

Spiritual endeavors, use of hallucinogenic drugs, near death experiences, many experiences for that matter, etc., trigger new patterns of kundalini activity, trending towards the energy being withdrawn from lesser bodily functions and dedicated towards the central channel of awakening.

However, with a lack of proper preparation, initiation and constant guidance of the guru, and correct sadhana, this too can be disarrayed, and like electricity when encountering resistance (generates heat, a lower form of energy) can result in the symptoms you have described.

Why does this happen, and what can I do to control it? For years I've been treated for bipolar 2/hypomania, but I wonder if if it's not brain chemistry, but kundalini awakening. Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?So I would say that your question here reflects a false dichotomy. It is both brain chemistry and kundalini.

As far the much more important question, how you control it ... I suggest you take a threepronged approach.

Continue as you are, established and further establishing yourself in worship, satsang, study and meditation.
Look into laya yoga (carefully!), and a competent guru to give instructions, so that this energy may be safely transmuted to higher states of consciousness
Re-assess your treatment regimen. I am personally extremely skeptical of the modern system of medicine. There is a good body of evidence that shows that psychotropic drugs, now almost casually prescribed to children as young as 2 on the basis of fad diagnoses like ADD, cause incalculably more harm than they prevent.I pray this is helpful to you.

Namaste

Aum namah Śivāya
08 June 2012, 09:58 AM
Namaste.

Shuddhasattva's thread on chakras prompted me to delve into it. I came across kundalini awakening. I've known that kundalini is the energy that sits at the base of the spine, analogized to a coiled serpent, but I never gave it any thought or read up on it. I've never been trained or guided in any forms of yoga, except bhakti and karma, which I think is inherent to everyone.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but from what I've read briefly of kundalini awakening it can happen spontaneously, sometimes with negative effects. The physical and psychological effects are listed as (red highlight are what I experience):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Unpreparedness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Physical_and_psychological_effects

Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body
Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra) (at night while sitting in the recliner, I will get a feeling of cold passing through my body usually from right to left, across my back.)
Spontaneous pranayama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranayama), asanas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana), mudras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra) and bandhas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandha)
Visions or sounds at times associated with a particular chakra
Diminished or conversely extreme sexual desire sometimes leading to a state of constant or whole-body orgasm
Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and repressed feelings or thoughts with certain repressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long periods of time.[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#cite_note-eastman_p41-17)
Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull
Increased blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
Emotional numbness
Antisocial tendencies
Mood swings with periods of depression or mania
Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
Loss of apetite or overeating
Bliss, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness

Why does this happen, and what can I do to control it? For years I've been treated for bipolar 2/hypomania, but I wonder if if it's not brain chemistry, but kundalini awakening. Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

Namaste,

As always, my approach is not traditional, so YMMV.

I've experienced Kuṇḍalinī for quite a while now. Anytime I withdraw into myself, I can almost always feel the Kuṇḍalinī as an intense vibration in my spine, and soon after it is accompanied by intense bliss and joy. It doesn't even matter if I am meditating or not; it just happens if I am not otherwise engaged.

I would say that once you start feeling a lot of energy in the spine would be a good indication of Kuṇḍalinī. I would continue to meditate and do devotion and so forth, and simply allow a space for Kuṇḍalinī to make itself known and begin to awaken.

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 10:16 AM
Namaste, and thank you so much. I won't pretend that a lot of it is not over my head, but I think I get the gist of it.

Namaste

I personally find that 'kundalini awakening' (in the usual sense) and 'kundalini syndrome' and such are more the preserve of the Western spiritual supermarket, if I may use such a crass phrase, than of yoga/SD.

I did come across that too. It goes to the New Age "male bovine excrement" so prevalent in the west. This is why I am turning to the Hindu and eastern teachings and methodologies.

There is however an excellent book written by Gopi Krishna called Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man which documents a kundalini awakening gone awry.

I will look for it, even if to peruse it in the local Barnes & Noble bookstore. I doubt the public library would have (but you never know!).

Coming to your own case...

Here is my view, which I believe is supported by shastra and oral instruction. It is as given to me by my guru.

[snipped for space]

However, with a lack of proper preparation, initiation and constant guidance of the guru, and correct sadhana, this too can be disarrayed, and like electricity when encountering resistance (generates heat, a lower form of energy) can result in the symptoms you have described.

My sadhana has been highly disordered, and that is the understaement of the milennium. My bhakti doesn't waver, and I like to believe that even if this body came to an abrupt and violent end with little time to think, I would call out to Lord Krishna.

My disordered sadhana is the main reason I am working towards performing sadhana during Brahmamuhūrta, or at least no later than Samudramamuhūrta, finishing before sunrise (today it was at 5:27, which I again slept through :rolleyes: ), and establishing a pattern of temple attendance.

The periods of Viṣṇumuhūrta, Yumigadyutimuhūrta, Brahmamuhūrta and Samudramamuhūrta are the only times I have any peace and alone time.

I am thinking of asking at the temple for recommendations for a guru. I don't know if the pujaris themselves would be qualified, but I'm sure they know who is.

So I would say that your question here reflects a false dichotomy. It is both brain chemistry and kundalini.

Well, that is good to know. I don't want to dismiss anything out of hand.

As far the much more important question, how you control it ... I suggest you take a threepronged approach.

Continue as you are, established and further establishing yourself in worship, satsang, study and meditation.
Look into laya yoga (carefully!), and a competent guru to give instructions, so that this energy may be safely transmuted to higher states of consciousness
Re-assess your treatment regimen. I am personally extremely skeptical of the modern system of medicine. There is a good body of evidence that shows that psychotropic drugs, now almost casually prescribed to children as young as 2 on the basis of fad diagnoses like ADD, cause incalculably more harm than they prevent.I pray this is helpful to you.

Namaste

1. I am feeling more uplifted having begun temple attendance. I am working towards a more consistent meditative technique. As I am not initiated, I am using aum (inhale then exhale on aum); and soham, (inhale on so- and exhale on ham). I read also that hamsa refers to the atman and can be used like soham.

2. I think I would approach laya yoga (aka kundalini yoga?) only under proper guidance. I don't need to screw things up further by being a DIYer.

3. I couldn't agree more about the casual dispensation of meds. Feel crappy? Here's a prescription. :rolleyes: I myself am not wild about being on the meds (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Valium) and would like to wean off them after 4-5 years of being on them. I am afraid, however, of reverting to what I was before... periods of violent rage (never hurt anyone or anything though) then deep depression. It's called a mixed state and is a very bad place to be, with a high risk of suicidal thoughts and actions.

But you know, since I have put more faith in what the deities have been helping me with, I have a more peaceful feeling. I've had unexpected things happen that I know were gifts from a particular deity. :) My nosedives are few and far between now.

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 10:20 AM
Namaste.

I would say that once you start feeling a lot of energy in the spine would be a good indication of Kuṇḍalinī. I would continue to meditate and do devotion and so forth, and simply allow a space for Kuṇḍalinī to make itself known and begin to awaken.

I think consistent meditation with proper breathing, and consistent sadhana is a key factor. I take a few minutes during the day, even sitting at my desk looking out the window and practice breathing and a period of mentally chanting aum and/or soham. I have evergreen bushes right outside the window, whose movements in the breeze can be calming. I need to spend more time doing this, though.

Aum namah Śivāya
08 June 2012, 10:37 AM
Namaste.

I think consistent meditation with proper breathing, and consistent sadhana is a key factor. I take a few minutes during the day, even sitting at my desk looking out the window and practice breathing and a period of mentally chanting aum and/or soham. I have evergreen bushes right outside the window, whose movements in the breeze can be calming. I need to spend more time doing this, though.

Namaste,

Have you ever done any practice with directing energy up the spine? I think it was around the time I started to do that regularly that Kuṇḍalinī started to stir. The practices I did took a lot of concentration but seemed to directly work on Kuṇḍalinī.

Jainarayan
08 June 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm beginning to breathe and meditate on soham, feeling the rising and falling in the spine. It does take practice and concentration, but I think that's the whole point.

http://www.swamij.com/soham-mantra.htm

http://www.swamij.com/images/soham.gif

Eastern Mind
08 June 2012, 10:17 PM
Vannakkam: For what its worth, I think kundalini is an extremely advanced yogic subject meant for the adept who has roots firmly grounded in ethics, bhakti, and more.

Not only would it be unwise to 'dabble' its far more likely its impossible, given many can't even sit still for 5 minutes. Traditionally, it would definitely involve celibacy, for example.

So from this POV, whatever these so called practitioners are doing is some sort of pseudo-kundalini. Of course anyone is free to call a spade a thimble if they wish. Perhaps walking the dog or getting the fake-shakes is a kundalini experience. :)

From the same viewpoint, for those of us who aren't ready, the stance is to be patient, get ourselves establised in the Yamas and Niyamas, and more, fully knowing that one of these lifetimes, we will be ready. Other than that knowledge, we just go about our business. In other words, don't worry about it ... at all.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
08 June 2012, 10:59 PM
Namaste all,

Imo, Kundalini is something which we should not play with without a competent Guru. It can be dangerous. Only a Self-realised Guru can guide you properly safely on this path.

There are seven chakras of consciousness from MoolAdhAr to SahasrAr. There are three main nAdis, Ida, PingalA and ShushumNa. The Kundalini which is normally sleeping coiled at the MoolAdhAr has to travel through ShshumNa through various chakras to SahasrAr. There are various techniques available in Yoga. The awakening of Kunadalni can happen even without following the path of Yoga due by grace or due to past samskArs.

So, imho, anyone who is interested in this, should approach a proper Guru and then only do anything in this line. Before that, Yama, Niyama, prayers, yogic exercises etc. are advisable. In fact, one should learn meditation also from an accomplished yogi, as far as possible. Internet has become a dangerous thing where anyone is free to write anything and people may get tempted to attempt whatever is written there.

OM

Mana
08 June 2012, 11:58 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste TBTL,

I would highly recommend that you read "Kundalini The Evolutionary Energy in Man." by Gopi Krishna;
for insights into the ways in which Mātṛkā leads us to dance. This give great insights into the experiences felt
and realised by the seers the ṛṣi.

It is best to be well versed in the yoga sutras, so that one is not destroyed by this energy; I would recommend
the help of a Guru, or at the very least a close friend; there is much less chance that you injure your self or get your self into trouble,
if you keep good company good company.

The evolutionary effects are arguably more pronounced with no guidance; it is just that its results
are somewhat less predictable.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 06:48 AM
Namaste.

Vannakkam: For what its worth, I think kundalini is an extremely advanced yogic subject meant for the adept who has roots firmly grounded in ethics, bhakti, and more.

Not only would it be unwise to 'dabble' its far more likely its impossible, given many can't even sit still for 5 minutes. Traditionally, it would definitely involve celibacy, for example.

Namaste all,

Imo, Kundalini is something which we should not play with without a competent Guru. It can be dangerous. Only a Self-realised Guru can guide you properly safely on this path.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste TBTL,

I would highly recommend that you read "Kundalini The Evolutionary Energy in Man." by Gopi Krishna;
for insights into the ways in which Mātṛkā leads us to dance. This give great insights into the experiences felt
and realised by the seers the ṛṣi.

It is best to be well versed in the yoga sutras, so that one is not destroyed by this energy; I would recommend
the help of a Guru, or at the very least a close friend;

Thank you all. I definitely agree about not experimenting or dabbling (I call that sort of thing "fidoodling"). Rest assured I will not do anythng like that. I wouldn't undertake anything like that on my own. Rather, when I read about it I thought it sounded a lot like what I was experiencing, and for some reason it was awakened; without my conscious knowledge. Maybe it's the flood of new sensations and experiences being thrown at my being, and it needs to settle down.

I think EM is right... a combination of practicing yamas and niyamas and a consistent sadhana will do wonders for controlling what I'm feeling. It may be wishful thinking, but a few times that I have practiced proper breathing and 'soham' (could the term prāṇāyāma be used here? anyway, if not...) before falling asleep, I was out cold. At other times, during the day, when I take even a few moments for it, I feel calmer. I believe this is a brief glimmer of what I can expect by consistent practice.

I'm happy to continue in daily bhakti and sadhana (such as my sadhana is); attending temple (I was too tired to go last night :( but there is always tomorrow :)); and being in the company of like-minded people, without getting into anything beyond my ken.

Maya3
09 June 2012, 07:27 AM
Kundalini is a real phenomenon and a real force within the body.
But I think that people, yogis (the ones who do Hatha and doesn't understand the Hindu aspects of yoga) and New Age people often think that they are experiencing it when they are not. They may say that: "Oh I feel a lot of good energy here, the kundalini is amazing etc" Nah... they don't know what it is. When you DO feel it, you know. It's not some illusive energy or fluffy feeling. You KNOW.

I think it takes life times for it to begin to flow and when it does, you are ready for it by the mere fact that it is happening at all.
But that said, you DO have to be careful. It can get very intense.
I have had kundalini moving upward in my body for years now and it is a very slow and steady process as I'm not forcing it. From what I understand I don't have the full expression of it, just small streams of it moving slowly. It feels very hot, but not uncomfortable.
Sometimes I jerk and sometimes there can be pressure in my head but it's not uncomfortable.
I have never had spontaneous asanas or been thrown around the room or anything like that, that you can hear people say.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing, meditate, pray, take care of your body, exercise, eat healthy. Never push or force the movement of kundalini, just observe what is happening.
If it feels too intense, stop meditating for that session. Open your eyes, say a prayer, chant a little. But only a few minutes, chanting can get the kundalini moving too, but just do something other than standing straight up right away.
Just something to center yourself with a minute or two.
Then get up and eat something, go outside in the fresh air.

When I had intense kundalini movements I was given the advice to exercise a lot, eat a lot of protein and take it slow.

If you do this, the kundalini movement will be slow and steady and you can feel comfortable with it. After a while it will become a sense of comfort, faith and power within you.

Maya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 01:09 PM
Namaste Maya.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing, meditate, pray, take care of your body, exercise, eat healthy. Never push or force the movement of kundalini, just observe what is happening.

No, I'm not trying to push it nor will I. I'm taken by surprise if it has indeed awoken at times.

If it feels too intense, stop meditating for that session. Open your eyes, say a prayer, chant a little. But only a few minutes, chanting can get the kundalini moving too, but just do something other than standing straight up right away.
Just something to center yourself with a minute or two.
Then get up and eat something, go outside in the fresh air.

The irony is that when I do meditate and let myself "go with the flow", I have the best experiences. Maybe that is the part of kundalini awakening that I want? A while back I made a post about having meditated outdoors, and all of a sudden feeling this "connection" to everyone and everything. It was a marvelous feeling I've experienced fleetingly on occasion. One or two people pooh-poohed it as an endorphin rush from being outdoors, but I know an endorphin rush when I have one. Pull a 345 lb deadlift, howling like a Klingon and you'll know an endorphin rush. :D

When I had intense kundalini movements I was given the advice to exercise a lot, eat a lot of protein and take it slow.

If you do this, the kundalini movement will be slow and steady and you can feel comfortable with it. After a while it will become a sense of comfort, faith and power within you.

Maya

It sounds like 'discipline' is what the doctor is prescribing.

Maya3
09 June 2012, 01:29 PM
Namaste Maya.

No, I'm not trying to push it nor will I. I'm taken by surprise if it has indeed awoken at times.

Namaste TouchedbytheLord,

I was too, I actually could not believe it. I thought that Kundalini was one of those new age things, people in yoga studios like to throw around.

The irony is that when I do meditate and let myself "go with the flow", I have the best experiences. Maybe that is the part of kundalini awakening that I want? A while back I made a post about having meditated outdoors, and all of a sudden feeling this "connection" to everyone and everything. It was a marvelous feeling I've experienced fleetingly on occasion. One or two people pooh-poohed it as an endorphin rush from being outdoors, but I know an endorphin rush when I have one. Pull a 345 lb deadlift, howling like a Klingon and you'll know an endorphin rush. :D

I have the same issue, if I try too hard I have one of those meditations where I cant stop thinking about stuff and I cant focus at all. I'm getting better but that too is a slow process for me.

That sounds like a wonderful experience, I'm sure it was not an endorphin rush.

Howling like a Klingon, I should try that next time at the gym, people might run. :)

I know what you mean, I don't lift nearly as much as you, but I know the feeling when I lift weights and there is this feeling... not sure how to describe it, it's like a rush in the muscles, is that an endorphin rush?

It sounds like 'discipline' is what the doctor is prescribing.[/QUOTE]

Maya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 01:57 PM
Namaste.

I have the same issue, if I try too hard I have one of those meditations where I cant stop thinking about stuff and I cant focus at all. I'm getting better but that too is a slow process for me.

Now that I'm learning to focus on breathing, and focusing on the third eye area, I'm getting better. Using soham and aum is a definite benefit. Now I think I understand why using a mantra is not the best idea until you are ready, i.e. initiated or such.

Howling like a Klingon, I should try that next time at the gym, people might run. :)

I know what you mean, I don't lift nearly as much as you, but I know the feeling when I lift weights and there is this feeling... not sure how to describe it, it's like a rush in the muscles, is that an endorphin rush?

That is an endorphin rush, yes ("endogenous morphine", the brain's own painkiller... the "runner's high"). It was a Saturday night, I was alone in the gym (I had keys). I worked up a sweat and took my shirt off. This was going to be a personal best. I had recently lost my 16 1/2 year old sweetheart cat Toby Ann (I know I'm gonna get teary now). I loaded the bar, got into position, and whispered "for Toby". I pulled that bar as if I was pulling the Earth up, howling and bellowing (remember, my user id used to be Minotaur... the bellowing and having my shirt off paid homage to that :D), and I locked out. There was no way I could or would fail. I thanked Sri Hanuman, of course. ;)

But I can't lift like that anymore since the back surgery. I let that get to me, but like Don Henley sang "... those days are gone now, I should just let 'em go... " and I have. Now I work out for fitness and strength, not power maxes.

Maya3
09 June 2012, 06:38 PM
Now that I'm learning to focus on breathing, and focusing on the third eye area, I'm getting better. Using soham and aum is a definite benefit. Now I think I understand why using a mantra is not the best idea until you are ready, i.e. initiated or such.

It really makes a difference to focus on the third eye.

My teachers don't give mantras, a lot of people ask about that at my Ashram and they always get the answer that we chant so much anyway that it isn't really a need for a personal mantra.
We have a lot of focus on chanting all the time it's incorporated into everything, they tell new people to sit comfortable and meditate in any way that they are comfortable with.

Maya

Jainarayan
09 June 2012, 07:47 PM
The irony is that when I was a freshman in high school, there was a group I belonged to that practiced TM. And the thing was to focus inward on the mind's eye. So for 40 years I let this lapse. Well, better late than never. ;) I guess I do a lot of chanting too, along with the bhajans and mantras I have in my iPod collection.

Maya3
11 June 2012, 07:07 AM
I should listen to more chanting too. I forget when I'm not at the Ashram.

Maya