PDA

View Full Version : Little Nervous....first time to a Hindu temple

Forest0spirit555
08 June 2012, 06:39 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post.

Namaste,

So I recently became a Hindu and it has been such a profound experience in my life. I cannot begin to explain the joy and wonder that Hinduism has bestowed on me.

Recently I started considering going to a Hindu temple. The closest one is 60 miles away so it will be quite a trek to get there but I am eager to visit it regardless. Yet, I do have some concerns. Firstly being a white woman who was obviously not born into Hinduism I worry about making a huge mistake or being embarrassed. I have happened to meet a handful of local Hindus and they are very accepting and all have encouraged me to visit this same temple.

Just to calm my nerves I'd appreciate whatever input anyone could give me about their experience or tips for me so that I don't make some incredible blunder.

Thank you.

God be with you.

Equinox
19 June 2012, 05:10 AM
Vannakkam Forest0spirit,

I'm glad you've considered going to temple. You dont have to be nervous at all really. Just observe what others do and do the same. Usually the priests and other worshippers would be very accepting. Dont hesitate to ask questions if you need to know anything. Most would be more than happy to enlighten you.

Try reading up or asking someone about the temple, the presiding deity of the temple and the rituals and prayers that are normally done for that deity as well as other deities in the temple. This would help you know what's being done and chanted by the priest. When you've become relaxed, chant some mantras of the deity along with your prayers.

I'd suggest you find out the time of the daily pujas and abhishegams so that you'll be in time to attend those. It makes the visit more meaningful instead of turning up when nothing's being done or when the temple is closed. There's nothing to worry about as long as you follow the temple rules (appropriate clothing, no footwear, etc) of which i'm sure you're familiar with by now. Hope you have a wonderful visit!

There's just something overwhelmingly powerful about the temple vibration that'll leave you stunned, I feel. You'd know what i'm talking of when you make your visit. :)

Eastern Mind
19 June 2012, 07:09 AM
Vannakkam Forest: I see there are several temples near you. Several pop up on google when I searched. I'm sorry for not responding earlier, and hope you're still around.

I would echo what Equinox said, except that Hindu temples do come in many many varieties. Each one is quite different in its own way. So there is no way we can say, "You've seen one, you've seen 'em all."

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
19 June 2012, 09:01 AM
Namaste,

Here is probably the largest one in the area.
http://www.lakshminarayan.com/
My sources tell me that their head priest is an ex-ISKCON, all American person.
You will be one among the many devotees visiting. So, no need to be nervous.

Pranam.