PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to read the Gita????

Forest0spirit555
08 June 2012, 06:55 PM
Namaste,

I hope that my questions don't seem overly simple or what not.

I am rather new to Hinduism and was advised to try reading the Gita. I love literature and was very willing. I am currently reading a translated version of the Bhagavad Gita and was finding it enjoyable both as a story and a religious text. Yet coming from a Christian background I have been "trained" to read scripture as though you are searching for a much deeper meaning than what is directly being said. In other words seeing through the parables. I know that all religious texts have some sort of message behind the examples that they give but should I be straining myself to try and find deeper meaning in what apparently is self-explanatory or easily understood in the Gita?

Thank you for your time. Hope this doesn't seem irrelevant or stupid.

God be with you.

philosoraptor
12 June 2012, 02:36 PM
Namaste,

I hope that my questions don't seem overly simple or what not.

I am rather new to Hinduism and was advised to try reading the Gita. I love literature and was very willing. I am currently reading a translated version of the Bhagavad Gita and was finding it enjoyable both as a story and a religious text. Yet coming from a Christian background I have been "trained" to read scripture as though you are searching for a much deeper meaning than what is directly being said. In other words seeing through the parables. I know that all religious texts have some sort of message behind the examples that they give but should I be straining myself to try and find deeper meaning in what apparently is self-explanatory or easily understood in the Gita?

Thank you for your time. Hope this doesn't seem irrelevant or stupid.

God be with you.

Namaste,

I think it is important when reading any book, to read with the purpose of understanding what the author/speakers were trying to say. This can become problematic when running up against statements which, due to poetic license, may seem convoluted or unclear by our current standards of thinking. Or when statements make reference to commonly understood concepts which are not so commonly understood by people of today. Because of such limitations, it is important to read with the help of a qualified commentary, specifically someone who is dedicated to research of the subject matter and putting it into practice.

Without a good commentary that can invoke the context of other scriptures (i.e. the Upanishads) to paint a clear and consistent picture, it will be difficult to come to a good understanding.

Below, I've provided a few sample links to commentaries spanning a variety of Vedantic traditions that might be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Samkaracarya-Devanagiri-English-Rendering/dp/8171202691

http://www.amazon.com/Sri-Ramanuja-Gita-Bhasya-Translation/dp/8178232901/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339528685&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavadgita-Madhusudana-Sarasvati/dp/8175051949/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Bhagavadgita-Evaluation-Commentaries-Ramanuja/dp/8121511011/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339528715&sr=1-2

http://www.exoticindia.com/book/details/bhagavadgita-and-its-classical-commentaries-critical-comparative-exposition-NAC418/

http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-As-Bhaktivedanta-Swami-Prabhupada/dp/0892131233/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339528715&sr=1-3-fkmr0

The last link is the ISKCON translation. This one has the advantage of being written for a non-Hindu audience, and thus you might find it easier to read than the others in order to get a sense of the different concepts involved. However, bear in mind that any translation you read will reflect the inherent biases of its translator. There is nothing wrong with that, provided that the translator does a good job supporting his interpretation with evidence. Be prepared to see very different opinions on some key verses, and don't be afraid to review each of them in full.

What I would suggest is to start with one Gita commentary, read from beginning to end a chapter at a time. Read the verses in any given chapter, then the verses + their commentary, and then the verses again before moving on to the next chapter. Take notes as you read. Make a schedule where you do this every day - preferably in the early morning time after bathing and before breakfast. Avoid eating meat or drinking intoxicating substances (i.e. alcohol), as these have deleterious effects on one's body and one's spiritual consciousness. Above all, don't hesitate to ask questions.

best wishes,

Sahasranama
12 June 2012, 04:46 PM
The Bhagavad Gita is not a book, it is a song. The first step to make an entrance to the Bhagavad Gita is to listen to the recitation of the Bhagavad Gita. In the intitial stage it does not matter at all whether you understand one word of the Gita, the important thing is to keep listening to it over and over again. There are dozens of recordings available, you should make good use of them. After a while you can start chanting the Bhagavad Gita yourself and make an effort to learn the entire Bhagavad Gita by heart. This is very important. Every morning when you wake up chant at least one chapter of the Bhagavad Gita. This will not take more time than five to ten minutes.

The second step is to study Sanskrit and develop an understanding of the language of the Bhagavad Gita. In this stage it is best to avoid confusing yourself with various philosophical points of all the available commentaries, use them only to understand the language better. This step is almost universally skipped. People generally start to read some popular commentary of the Gita and start proclaiming that they have "read" the Bhagavad Gita. You cannot build a house on weak foundation, before moving on to reading various translations take these two steps first. Learn the Bhagavad Gita by heart and put some effort in understanding the language.

Once you have done this, you will have access to tradtional Sanskrit commentaries (http://hinduebooks.blogspot.nl/2010/09/srimad-bhagavad-gita-with-11-sanskrit.html) which you can study more thoroughly once you have an understanding of the language. One caveat, philosophical commentaries are written to prove points and sometimes these points have little to do with the original intent of the text. English commentaries moreover, rather than elucidating the original text, add in a lot of personal imagination (kalpana) of the author. Not reading post modern commentaries is especially important for those who are new to Hinduism. It is extremely difficult to unlearn faulty first impressions, even impossible for some people as I have seen over the years. The problem with looking too hard for a deeper meaning is that people start seeing things that are not there. Be patient while growing your understanding. The Bhagavad Gita will be a life long study, don't give into imaginary interpretations which is nothing but a form of instant gratification.

More important than studying the philosophical commentaries therefore is to put the Bhagavad Gita in context of the Mahabharata itself and other scriptures like the Upanishads. You can see that a knowledge of Sanskrit becomes of central importance when you want to study any Hindu work.

Some people might say that they would rather read an English translation than study the Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit and spend the rest of their time doing "sadhana" (which could mean anything from watching cricket to going to the bahamas ;)). To this I have to say, do not underestimate the power of the Sanskrit language. People who have started studying Sanskrit have promptly given up alcohol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhpRKY4a3ds). The study of Sanskrit and the scriptures itself is in itself an important sadhana. Svadhyaya is an important duty of all sadhakas.

To summarize, start looking for recordings of the Bhagavad Gita. You can find them easily with google or on youtube for free. You can do this right now and start listening to the Bhagavad Gita immediately. You can buy CDs too if you want. For resources on learning Sanskrit, I can refer you to the following threads, but first start listening to recordings of the Bhagavad Gita.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=84122#post84122
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9237

Audio: Anuradha Paudwal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H-XIUq1Ldc)or Anup Jalota (http://musicindiaonline.co/album/116-Sanskrit_Devotional/25995-Bhagavad_Gita/#/album/116-Sanskrit_Devotional/25995-Bhagavad_Gita/) etc.

Forest0spirit555
14 June 2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks to you both. I will take your suggestions to heart and will gladly study and try to learn as much as I can. Thanks again.

c.smith
15 June 2012, 05:10 AM
Hari Om!

Which copy of the Gita do you currently have?

I agree 100% that listening to and memorizing the Bhagavad Gita is essential as is learning and living the Sanskrit language. The two that have posted before me are very learned members that I have much to learn from and their advice is greatly appreciated and warmly welcomed.

If I may be so bold, I would highly suggest the Chinmaya Mission which has a branch in Tustin. If that isn't close, Google for other locations. The center where I live lives and breathes the Gita - memorization, satsang, classes including language learning and more. Sw. ChinmayanandaJi has been an inspiration for me in many regards. Would be interested to see if others members have had any experience with or comments on the mission.

The book can be found here or at the chinmaya website.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Holy-Geeta-Swami-Chinmayananda/dp/817597074X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339754782&sr=8-1&keywords=chinmayananda

All the best to you.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Amrut
21 June 2012, 02:35 AM
Namaste,

There is no specific way for reading Gita. Simply read it. You can pray to God to help you understand Gita.

It depends upon the author, and your interpretation, which is purely subjective.

As far as author is concerned, Books from Shinmaya mission, Ramakrishna ashram, Ramanashram, Sivananda (Divine Life Society), books by Swami Sukhbodhananda, Swami Tadrupanand of Manan ashram and Swami Ramsukhdasji are good ones.

Regarding a specific style, you will grasp according to your mindset. there is no need to stress hard to understand. Nothing is complicated. Everything is straight and simple. Do not take it as a burden. Spirituality is KISS - Keep It Straight and Simple. We make it crooked.

I will give you an example:

Suppose, we have a garden with fertile soil. You sow seeds of different fruits like apple, banana, chiku, mango (just for e.g., mango an dapple may not grow in one environment), etc

After sowing seeds, we adds fertilizers, water seeds and give adequate sunlight (natural sunlight) equally to all seeds. After sometime, plants will grow and later trees yielding fruits of respective seeds. So apple seed will give apple tree and not banana.

My question is if everything is same - soil, fertilizer, water and sunlight, then there should be only one fruit, right?

But this does not happen. Why? because an apple seed will only give an apple tree. It only has the quality of apple. So an apple seed will absorb the contents of soil with which it can grow into an apple tree.

In the same way, you will only accept or understand according to your mindset.

Bhagawat Gita covers 3 paths.

Karma - Action
Bhakti or upasana - Devotion
jnana - Wisdom

only one path will suit any one person. Either a person will

1. like to serve this world thinking it as a manifestation of God and so serving this world is serving God or

2. Like to chant Gods name and sign his glories or

3. would renounce this world (mentally), by considering it as an illusion (maya).

One person cannot adopt all 3 paths at a time. No doubt, you need all 3, but one path is predominant - the main path that suits a devotee.

All scriptures are very subtle. they all have hidden essence, which will be unfolded as your mind purifies and you feel attraction for God.

As i have understood, Gita is said from mental level. You cannot take it word-by-word.

e.g. In chapter 6 - Atma sayyam yog it is said - stand upon your shoulders !!!!

take it word-by-word - you cannot

but take is mentally.

Mind is divided into 2 parts. you have to take support of mind to rise above the mind. Now it makes sense.

i hope you are getting my point.

there is nothing too difficult. It is different. As shastras stress on renunciation (mentally), whereas we live in the world, where do do exactly opposite. Our's is a demanding mind. So problem is in application, which takes time to apply, as you will have to tame or better convince your mind and turn it to become introvert. You will have to give time

Repeat Gita more than 3 times or even more. Do not worry if you do not understand some thing or any concept. You cannot understand whole Gita, no one can, as Gita covers karma, bhakti and jnana and you can grasp only one path better than others.

Gita has over 10,000,00 (10 lac) different commentaries. some stress on karma like Vinoba bhave's commentary, some stress on Jnana like Chinmaya.

So you get statements like karma is the best, some say bhakti is best while some say jnana is best.

It is the best thats suits the author and not 'the best'

So just take Gita from the above author saints and try it. In beginning, you will have to try some books, till the line of thinking of author suits you. The one that suits you is the best for you. Remember it is not 'THE BEST' but 'BEST SUITS YOU'

only thing needed is dedication and regular study.

Namaste and good luck

Aum

Indiaspirituality