PDA

View Full Version : Daily ritual for Lord Shiva

tj sian
11 June 2012, 02:16 PM
I want to establish a daily worship ritual for Lord Shiva. What routine can I do? Which mantras/stotras/stutis do I chant? Please let me know thanks

Daniellasaur
04 July 2012, 12:40 PM
I do Rudram, however there are many shorter shlokas that can be recited such as Lingastakam, Bilvastakam, and Shiva Manas Puja.
I also do incense and light daily. Shiva Ashtottara Namavali with flowers or akshatas if I have the time.

The most important worship of Shiva is the Atmalinga abhishekam with pure love as the panchamritam. This is tied with the Shiva Manas Puja which is puja done in the mind and heart in meditation.

Whatever you choose, know that it is perfect in Shiva's eyes. He doesn't care about anything such as formalities and there is no mistakes to be made in puja. He knows only the love and devotion in your heart. No mantras needed, no offerings needed other than your love.

shian
04 July 2012, 08:09 PM
Vanakkam,

Maybe some slokhas or strotram is use by one sect and not used common by another sect....
But the most wide and teach in many sect of Shaivaism and most very common practice is chanting "Om Namah Shivaya"

Then for most deeper, you must seek refuge to Guru. You can ask Yajvan Ji.

ShivaFan
06 July 2012, 03:08 AM
Namaste

Do you have Rudraksha Beads? If not, you should consider obtaining them to chant Om Namah Shivaya daily. I am not sure I would term this a ritual, but rather a form of meditation, seeking council and presence. You may be amazed how wonderful and powerful it can be by use of Rudraksha! Truly, the yogis know exactly what is effective, and Rudraksha is that.

I agree with Shian.

Aum Namah Shivaya

kundanghanekar
06 July 2012, 09:42 AM
I truly agree. Om namah shivaya is the best and easiest. Rudram is tough and as it is written in very old sanskrit,it may be possible that pronounciation may be incorrect.
Just keep him in ur heart,and say once om namah shivaya,u feel very free.

Spiritualseeker
06 July 2012, 08:49 PM
Namaste,

I enjoy reciting the holy five characters Namah Shivaya. I also enjoy serving Shiva by isolating the I am from objects. I feel this is a very intimate connection with Shiva. I sometimes enjoy visualizing Shiva or feeling that Shiva is breathing in as I breath in and out as I breath out. Shiva is also the space between the the breath and the mantra.

Om Namah Shivaya

ShivaIsLord
07 July 2012, 01:41 PM
Do you have Rudraksha Beads? If not, you should consider obtaining them to chant Om Namah Shivaya daily. You may be amazed how wonderful and powerful it can be by use of Rudraksha! Truly, the yogis know exactly what is effective, and Rudraksha is that.

Namaste,

Where can one go about obtaining Rudraksha Beads? Is there a particular store I should look out for? I assume that you can buy them online, but that is massively inconvenient for me because I don't have a credit card. Only cash.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
07 July 2012, 02:17 PM
Vannakkam SIL: Where are you. Maybe someone here can recomment a nearby store.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaIsLord
07 July 2012, 02:21 PM
I live around 25 miles (40 km) North of Seattle, Washington, USA in the city of Everett. South Everett, to be precise. I live between the Everett Mall and the Walmart (if you know how things are in Everett).

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
07 July 2012, 02:36 PM
Vannakkam: These guys ... http://www.banyen.com/ just north of you probably have some decent ones. You could email them and ask. I'm sure there are other shops in Vancouver too, especially in Little India along Fraser St.

Not sure about Seattle.

I was just helping sell some nice ones earlier this week, but its mail order on-line.

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaIsLord
07 July 2012, 03:00 PM
Namaste,

I really appreciate your trying to help, but that's in a whole other country :O

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
07 July 2012, 03:12 PM
Vannakkam: This on-line house is based in Seattle. http://www.indiabazaar.net/

You could try phoning them. Sometimes you just have to be persistent to get what you want in life.

Aum Namasivaya

Vasa
17 July 2012, 11:47 AM
I personally mentally chant Om Navah Shivaya while feeling deep devotion for Shiva in my heart, and the devotion and love tends to expand until I am left in a peaceful, less-thought state.

Is it true you need a Guru to induct you into a mantra, though? Though it seems to bring me great joy I have been told that reciting mantra is useless unless it is given to you by a guru. What is the opinion on this?

Satyaban
29 July 2012, 10:27 PM
Namaste,

Where can one go about obtaining Rudraksha Beads? Is there a particular store I should look out for? I assume that you can buy them online, but that is massively inconvenient for me because I don't have a credit card. Only cash.

Om Namah Shivaya

You can obtain the beads and many other items at "Minimela.com"

Satyaban
29 July 2012, 10:41 PM
I live around 25 miles (40 km) North of Seattle, Washington, USA in the city of Everett. South Everett, to be precise. I live between the Everett Mall and the Walmart (if you know how things are in Everett).

Om Namah Shivaya

An excellent source is "minimela.com".

Satyaban
29 July 2012, 10:54 PM
My daily ritual is very simple.
First I set aside an area in my house with picture images of Lord Siva, Lord Ganesha, and Lord Kartikeya.

I light several sticks of incense and place them in a stand before the pictures. I proceed to ask Lord Ganesha's blessing on my humble puja then I address Lord Siva and pledge my obeisance with Om Namah Shivaya. I tell Siva I know he knows what is in my heart and ask him to bless the world's children and ease their suffering. I also ask for his blessings, forgiveness and to see his face.

Aditya Tiwari
04 September 2012, 02:11 AM
NAMASTE....
Lord Shiva is also called Asutosha i.e. one who gets easily pleased.You just call Him with a pure heart and surely He will come to rescue you.Except a chaste heart one does not require anything at all to please Him.Just do your true "Karma" and remember Him and He is always there to help you.
Regarding daily worship the Panchaksar mantra "OM NAMAH SHIVAYA" is the best.One can also use Shiva Gayatri manta "OM TATPURUSHAYA VIDHMAHE MAHADEVAYA DHIMAHI TANNO RUDRA PROCHODAYAT".Besides there are Mahamritunjaya mantra.Shiv Mahiman Stotra,Shiva Tandava Stotra(considered the best for appeasing Him).But above all a chaste and pure mind free from the four vices namely "Kaam"(desire)"Krodh"(anger)"Madh"(Pride) and "Lobh"(Avarice).....
HAR HAR MAHADEVA

squidgirl
08 September 2012, 07:18 PM
ShivaIsLord...I'd be more than happy to purchase a necklace online for you if you send me the cash. :)
Can I ask though...what is the special meaning of these beads as opposed to a mala to count mantras?