PDA

View Full Version : jambudweep

dhyandev
19 June 2012, 12:57 AM
o learned figures of knowledge,
answer this question which is wracking my brain.
Going back previous name of India was bhartvrsh=aryavrt>ajnabkhand & earliest is Jambudweep.I dont know what jambu is(jambu fal?)but dweep is definetly island.we all know india was island before joining eurasian plate.& sanatan dharm dating back crores of years(krishna was born about 5000 yrs back).
does this suggest?anybody?:headscratch:

philosoraptor
20 June 2012, 05:19 PM
I was going to answer, but then I realized you were seeking a response from a "learned figure." Guess that totally disqualifies me. :D

Mana
20 June 2012, 11:43 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste dhyandev,

What a fascinating topic thank you for the interesting thought; My feeling is that the Indian Plate joined with the Eurasian Plate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Plate).
Millions of years ago; long before humans had migrated from Africa, which, according to the most recent studies; happened
50000 years ago.

There is recent evidence pointing towards a very different landscape around 10000 years ago as scientist model the world with
much lower sea levels than today, at the time of the end of the last ice age. I believe there are even settlements that have been
found far from the coast at what would have been the the Seas shore.

One of these settlements is 100 kn off the coast of India and it may well have been on an Island at the time you specify, or there
about, could it be that this Island was of such import that its name carried to the continent when the rising water levels eventually
covered the island.

Food for thought anyhow.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

dhyandev
21 June 2012, 12:32 AM
yes but in the end I wrote anybody,so you are automatically qualified to answer :)

SanathanaDharma
21 June 2012, 05:32 AM
Dear Friend,

There is some information found in major puranas regarding the question you have put forward...

The Bhagavata and Sri Vishnu Purana clearly mention the following...

Every Kalpa is divided into 14 Manvantaras where every Manvantara is ruled by a particular Manu...
Every Manvantara has around 72 Chatur Yugas where every chatur yuga is composed of Krit, Treta, Dwapara and Kali....
[i shall not get into further details here regarding the timeline...]

The first Manu of this kalpa, Swayambhuva and his wife Shraddha Devi, had a son named Priyavartha. Priyavartha had a wife by name Barhishmati and they had 10 sons....all these sons were named after different forms of Agni and the first one was Agnidhra...

The Puranas state that during Priyavartha's rule, this earth actually was seen as a group of 7 major chunks of islands (something similar to what has been defined in the "Plate tectonics theory")

The names are 
Jambu, Plaksha, Shalmali, Kusha, Kraunca, Shaka and Pushkara

Again nothing specific is given as to why they were named so....one of the islands or dweepa was known as "Jambudweepa"....

Priyavartha made his eldest son "Agnidhra" as the ruler of Jambudweepa...

Agnidhra had a wife named Purvacitti and they had nine sons of whom "Nabhi" was the first one...
He ruled the major portion of this Jambudweepa under the area called "Ajanabha" Nabhi and his wife Merudevi were great devotees of Sri Vishnu and did penance and obtained the boon that He should be born as their son...Sri Maha Vishnu took up an Avatar as "Sri Rishabhadeva"...He then had a wife called Jayanthi, who was the daughter of Indra of that period...

Sri Rishabhadeva and Jayanthi had many sons and the first one was named "Bharatha"[not to be confused with the son of Dushyantha and Shakuntala of Mahabharatha] and according to the Puranas, the area of land, Ajanabha, in Jambudweepa, below the great himalayas till the ocean was ruled by Bharatha and hence it also got the name "Bharatha-varsha"

Ofcourse there may be many other stories regarding the name and history, but this is the one from Puranas...

dhyandev
22 June 2012, 12:04 AM
SanathanaDharma
your reply is very information packed.hats off to your painstaking research .I will add more info on this once my college opens where I saw someone's research paper correlating geolgical time with various kalpas.also can you tell if chankya has been mentioned in puranas?

dhyandev
23 September 2012, 01:31 AM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/106696989/Vedic-Enunciation-of-Geological-Time-Scale
here ir is correlating time scale