PDA

View Full Version : Something to Share

Equinox
20 June 2012, 01:38 PM
Vannakkam,

I've been going to temple everyday now beginning last Monday, minus the weekend. These 'temple escapades' would be either during the morning, afternoon or evening puja. The temple is located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur and is a massive tourist magnet, being one of the oldest and richest temples in the country. I love visiting temples and God has perhaps given me the chance to attend these pujas everyday. Besides, I enjoy watching the minute details of prayers and rituals conducted by the priests. :)

So anyway, the reason I'm writing this is to share with you guys my experiences with the many tourists who drop by at this temple while sightseeing.

Two days ago on Monday, while waiting for the evening puja to start, I noticed an older man entering the temple. He was with his camera and busy snapping away at the temple's ornate structure and statues. At the same time there were many other tourists in the temple compound. I noticed later a wheelchair-bound woman (the older man's wife) waiting at the entrance of the temple below the 'gopuram'. Now the entrance has 2 raised stone paths, which you have to cross-over to enter. In India this would be to prevent floodwater from entering the temple, but in areas not known to be flood-prone, I'm unsure of the reason as to why it's there. Maybe someone more knowledgeable here can explain the reason. It was probably difficult to get her wheelchair in, so the man entered alone. I was wondering if I could bring her in, but didn't want to meddle in their visit, lest she decided earlier already in not wanting to enter.

After circling the temple taking photos, the older man returned to the waiting woman at the entrance. To my astonishment, she started crying. This is an example of the profound effect temples have on many people. There's some sort of emotional serenity which would leave anyone, tourist or not, awestruck.

I was sitting in front of the sanctum sanctorum observing this scene taking place at the entrance. The man calmed her down and decided to bring her in. After crossing the first raised path, the wheelchair landed heavily with a thud. Me and another young couple (also tourists who were earlier scolded for walking in with their footwear despite the many warning signs at the entrance) rushed to the older couple's aid. We lifted her up the second raised path and her husband then took her around the temple. She was delighted. I left them to themselves and sat in the mandapa. When they were ready to leave, the man again had to lift her up the raised paths. I rushed to help him and lifted the front of the wheelchair while he held the back. They were so thankful after that while I felt enlightened. Their accent sounded Australian and they appeared to be in their late 50s or early 60s.

On another day, a Japanese woman entered the temple asking someone which God to pray to if she wanted a son. She was then directed to a Goddess. Then there's the tourists who are respectful enough to sit awhile in the mandapa, instead of just taking photos and leaving. Some even meditate in front of the sanctum sanctorum till they sweat and vibrate. On yet another day, an Australian-looking mother encouraged her two young children to follow us around the temple while the priest was performing the puja for all the deities. These kids were a sight to see. They did everything we did; folded palms, raised to the head when the arati was performed and took the sacred ash and theertam water.

And then there's the annoying ones. These are very very troublesome and disturb the peace in the temple. One tourist wore sunglasses even inside the shaded mandapa. Others talk loudly and love pointing at the various Gods and Goddesses and even at the priests as if they just entered a zoo. Some insist on carrying their footwear in, even if they cant wear them, only to be scolded again to leave the footwear out for good. There's even workers to guard the footwear yet tourists insist on bringing them in. Some even take the opportunity to apply sunblock lotion in the mandapa, though this act isn't exactly an offense, haha. :rolleyes:

In other words, I learn something new from these tourists everyday. Each of them have their own profound experience in visiting the temple, which in turn provides me with my own experiences. I am now stronger than ever in my path towards becoming an ambassador of Hinduism, and when I go again tomorrow, I'll readily guide any tourist who looks lost in the temple. Though I might look like a tourist myself to some of them, I'll still try guiding them whenever I can.

In case you're wondering, the temple is the Sri Mahamariamman Temple of Kuala Lumpur. Here's a link from Youtube of the temple recorded by someone just two weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1kq23ssiY

Do notice some tourists standing around with the devotees.

A documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6txzvoXvSI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SDHK9vUME0&feature=related

Thinking back, I have this eerie feeling of appearing in many Youtube videos and Google images soon. Most tourists enjoy filming the pujas conducted by the priests, and I'm always around there somewhere, while others love taking photos of devotees(myself included) in the temple. :)

Eastern Mind
20 June 2012, 02:41 PM
Vannakkam Equinox: Thank you so much. Malaysian temples just always look so very clean. I can feel them, I think. :) I like your writing style.

Aum Namasivaya

Shanti29
20 June 2012, 10:39 PM
Vannakkam,

I've been going to temple everyday now beginning last Monday, minus the weekend. These 'temple escapades' would be either during the morning, afternoon or evening puja. The temple is located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur and is a massive tourist magnet, being one of the oldest and richest temples in the country. I love visiting temples and God has perhaps given me the chance to attend these pujas everyday. Besides, I enjoy watching the minute details of prayers and rituals conducted by the priests. :)

So anyway, the reason I'm writing this is to share with you guys my experiences with the many tourists who drop by at this temple while sightseeing.

Two days ago on Monday, while waiting for the evening puja to start, I noticed an older man entering the temple. He was with his camera and busy snapping away at the temple's ornate structure and statues. At the same time there were many other tourists in the temple compound. I noticed later a wheelchair-bound woman (the older man's wife) waiting at the entrance of the temple below the 'gopuram'. Now the entrance has 2 raised stone paths, which you have to cross-over to enter. In India this would be to prevent floodwater from entering the temple, but in areas not known to be flood-prone, I'm unsure of the reason as to why it's there. Maybe someone more knowledgeable here can explain the reason. It was probably difficult to get her wheelchair in, so the man entered alone. I was wondering if I could bring her in, but didn't want to meddle in their visit, lest she decided earlier already in not wanting to enter.

After circling the temple taking photos, the older man returned to the waiting woman at the entrance. To my astonishment, she started crying. This is an example of the profound effect temples have on many people. There's some sort of emotional serenity which would leave anyone, tourist or not, awestruck.

I was sitting in front of the sanctum sanctorum observing this scene taking place at the entrance. The man calmed her down and decided to bring her in. After crossing the first raised path, the wheelchair landed heavily with a thud. Me and another young couple (also tourists who were earlier scolded for walking in with their footwear despite the many warning signs at the entrance) rushed to the older couple's aid. We lifted her up the second raised path and her husband then took her around the temple. She was delighted. I left them to themselves and sat in the mandapa. When they were ready to leave, the man again had to lift her up the raised paths. I rushed to help him and lifted the front of the wheelchair while he held the back. They were so thankful after that while I felt enlightened. Their accent sounded Australian and they appeared to be in their late 50s or early 60s.

On another day, a Japanese woman entered the temple asking someone which God to pray to if she wanted a son. She was then directed to a Goddess. Then there's the tourists who are respectful enough to sit awhile in the mandapa, instead of just taking photos and leaving. Some even meditate in front of the sanctum sanctorum till they sweat and vibrate. On yet another day, an Australian-looking mother encouraged her two young children to follow us around the temple while the priest was performing the puja for all the deities. These kids were a sight to see. They did everything we did; folded palms, raised to the head when the arati was performed and took the sacred ash and theertam water.

And then there's the annoying ones. These are very very troublesome and disturb the peace in the temple. One tourist wore sunglasses even inside the shaded mandapa. Others talk loudly and love pointing at the various Gods and Goddesses and even at the priests as if they just entered a zoo. Some insist on carrying their footwear in, even if they cant wear them, only to be scolded again to leave the footwear out for good. There's even workers to guard the footwear yet tourists insist on bringing them in. Some even take the opportunity to apply sunblock lotion in the mandapa, though this act isn't exactly an offense, haha. :rolleyes:

In other words, I learn something new from these tourists everyday. Each of them have their own profound experience in visiting the temple, which in turn provides me with my own experiences. I am now stronger than ever in my path towards becoming an ambassador of Hinduism, and when I go again tomorrow, I'll readily guide any tourist who looks lost in the temple. Though I might look like a tourist myself to some of them, I'll still try guiding them whenever I can.

In case you're wondering, the temple is the Sri Mahamariamman Temple of Kuala Lumpur. Here's a link from Youtube of the temple recorded by someone just two weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1kq23ssiY

Do notice some tourists standing around with the devotees.

A documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6txzvoXvSI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SDHK9vUME0&feature=related

Thinking back, I have this eerie feeling of appearing in many Youtube videos and Google images soon. Most tourists enjoy filming the pujas conducted by the priests, and I'm always around there somewhere, while others love taking photos of devotees(myself included) in the temple. :)

Temple is starting to feel like too much of a bother. I'd hate to think the others members of temple liken me to a tourist at a zoo as you do. I'm terribly out of place and overwhelmed there. I takes away from the magic of it all. I'm a bull in a china shop.

McKitty
21 June 2012, 02:49 AM
And then there's the annoying ones.

Hello,

If you want, I got worse ones ! :D

My grandmother went to thailand and they were eating near a Buddhist temple. She was with my grandfather, and two other people they were travelling with. Despite of having the pure look of a tourist, my grandmother was always caring to respect the traditions and the rules of the temples and the culture.
So, they were eating near a temple, when the two other people decided that the weather was too hot, so they took off their shoes and washed their feets in the sacred fountain of the temple.
Seeing the shocked look of the devotees, my grandmother shouted at the two people to stop, that it was disrespectful. They didn't, like "what, that's just a fountain, quit saying stupid things it's too hot".

That's the worse ones ! Being disrespectful on purpose and not even care.

Fortunately when I went in Tamil Nadu, I never saw one tourist xD We spent nearly one month on lost parts of Tamil Nadu, living and making friends with only Hindu people, and that was the most amazing trip you can imagine.
When you are directly in contact with the Hindu people, in THEIR village, THEIR temple, with THEM only, you naturally understand that you are only the guest here, and must follow and respect the others.
When a tourist is surrounded by tourists, some tend to believe they are ruling here.
Fortunately, not everyone is like this !

I remember when I was in the church with my parents about a month ago, japanese tourists came in. Some where making big big noise (a church is supposed to be a silent place to pray and meditate) and taking photos of everything with big flashes. Some other just sat and remained silent, just watching the beauty of the architecture. Some even came to my mother asking her how and where do you place a sacred candle to pray for a child !

I think it's the same deal over every country x3

Thank you very much for sharing your story, it's really good to see kind heartred people and stories like this ! Thank you

Aum~

Shuddhasattva
21 June 2012, 04:22 AM
Namaste

Thank you for sharing that. I take/took a rather dim view of allowing tourists into temples, and this post has caused my reassess my views on this matter.

I shudder at the thought of yet more bureaucracy, but perhaps a system whereby people gain a certification after doing a basic 1-2 page written test to demonstrate adequate respect for the tradition, allowing them to enter temples? Or perhaps simply signing some kind of pledge that says "I will be respectful when visiting holy sites, I will not x, I will not y, understanding that if I do, my allowance to visit such places will be revoked." The implementation of this would seem fraught with various absurdities and perhaps it's better left an idea, but...

One of the unfortunate consequences of the negative aspects mentioned is that Westerners - tourists or not - are not allowed in some temples, or they are charged exorbitant prices for entry - much worse in my opinion, to use the "novelty value" of one's religion to milk tourists.

Namaste

Equinox
21 June 2012, 10:47 AM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind: You're welcome! Your words are very kind. :)

My maternal grandparents were married in this very temple in 1957, in that mandapa right in front of the Goddess, thus the nostalgic connection. The temple structure was a little different then though. A few of my second cousins were married here in the past few years too, but the weddings took place in the wedding hall, located few floors up in the new building behind, rather than the temple mandapa.

Hi McKitty : You're welcome... as I mentioned, every tourist would have their own experience, and this in turn would leave the observer with their own experience.

When a tourist is surrounded by tourists, some tend to believe they are ruling here.

How true!... I noticed this today when a group of British tourists (about 30 of them) entered the temple. There were many other smaller groups of tourists in the temple too. I had this negative feeling and knew trouble was coming. They behaved like deer entering a city. While the priest was performing puja in a shrine, they stood around it, talking so loudly and blocking the devotees, till I was obliged to glare at one of them, but decided not to, in keeping with the divine atmosphere. The ones who come in smaller groups are not this ignorant and disrespectful. So what you say makes lots of sense. They can be very annoying.

Namaste Suddhasattva: You're welcome. After what happened today, I feel that tourists should just stay outside the temple and be content with whatever they can see of the outer structure. They can take photos of the 'gopuram' if they want to.

I was joking. If they really want to enter, it should be done only in small groups, no more than 5 at a time. This gives them consciousness that everyone is looking at them, and they'll have to abide by the temple rules, so as not to embarass themselves. I realise that those who come in larger groups are very bold and hardly bother about the devotees in the temple. One even sniffed and stared at the saffron and sandalwood powder tray, in full view of everyone in the mandapa, as if she just entered a bakery.

Equinox
21 June 2012, 11:25 AM
Shanti29,

Temple is starting to feel like too much of a bother. I'd hate to think the others members of temple liken me to a tourist at a zoo as you do. I'm terribly out of place and overwhelmed there. I takes away from the magic of it all. I'm a bull in a china shop.

Bull in a china shop? Do you mean to imply that you're a COW in a DAIRY FARM? Thats where you should remain!

Of course many might liken you to a tourist at a zoo, given that even non-Hindus know what to do and try to blend-in, isn't it common sense that a Hindu should know what to do and not feel out of place?

In temples you feel "divine energy" and not "magic". If it's such a "BOTHER" and you're so "TERRIBLY" out of place in a temple, yet enjoy "MAGIC OF IT ALL", why not ask fairy godmother to take you to some magical land filled with fairies and pixies and some gnomes too so that you can feel overwhelmed.

saidevo
25 June 2012, 09:36 PM
Bonhams to sell private collection of Indian Temple Jewellery
http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/2012/06/bonhams-to-sell-private-collection-of-indian-temple-jewellery/

From people's possessions to Gods' on auction. Sad, isn't it?

Divine Kala
26 June 2012, 02:14 AM
Bonhams to sell private collection of Indian Temple Jewellery
http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/2012/06/bonhams-to-sell-private-collection-of-indian-temple-jewellery/

From people's possessions to Gods' on auction. Sad, isn't it?

That is so sad! Why can't these items be donated back to the temples they were stolen from to begin with instead of sold to the highest bidder?

saidevo
26 June 2012, 08:35 AM
namaste.

More on this news report here:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/9192-let-god-save-india-2.html

Equinox
29 June 2012, 09:27 AM
Vannakkam Saidevo,

That's a pathetic situation. They'll be auctioning off statues soon too, if not already. There's so many in Western museums, makes me wonder how they got there in the first place. Hindu organisations should do something about stuff like these really, before it's too late.

Eastern Mind
29 June 2012, 10:16 AM
Vannakkam: The Imperialists stole stuff wherever they went. I think they saw it no differently than mining. The native peoples' gold out of South America is another example. Here in Canada I've followed First Nations' peoples trying to get sacred stuff like medicine bundles out of museums and back into the hands of the rightful owners or their descendents. Many governments are sympathetic to the cause, yet the process involves proof, many lawyers, and all kinds of other complicated costly stuff. Its unfortunate we have thievery in the first place, but that's what you get from a trained disrespect of culture.

Some museums gift stuff around too, so tracing this kind of stuff back can be exceedingly difficult.

Aum Namasivaya