PDA

View Full Version : Ghrta-prisrha - God inviting

yajvan
21 January 2007, 08:21 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
There has been some discussions on Divine Will… a notion came up on how one may invite this divine will into ones life… or how one becomes ghrta-prisrha, God inviting.
If I may, I believe there are a few fundamentals one may want to entertain and understand on this to create the foundation for this desire to be fulfilled.
Please take a look below….as usual, my knowledge is my best efforts to comprehend and post this information from my level of development - that is I am still 'one legged' as the rishi's would say. My Knowledge is not complete, for Dharma-mega is not upon me ( cloud pouring virtue e.g. enlightened). So , you may see blemishes in my logic. Please do not hesitate to contribute to this stream of consciousness ( I ask Saraswati for her divine inspiration to speak the truth).

Some key tenets
Sage Yajnavalkya says - Idam brahma, idam kshatram, ime lokah, ime devah, imani bhutani, idam sarvam yad ayam atma."This Source of knowledge; this source of power; all these worlds; all these gods; all these beings; -- All this is just the Self."

All that we see is an extension of or permutation of the (universal) SELF. So, this is not far from us, as we are that. This Self, is the Atman we hear so much about and is at our core. Getting in touch with this fundamental truth begins to set the stage to invite Him to you . for Fundamentally, the Atman is universal, knows no time and limited by no space or time. Hence this is part of HIM.
' He chooses the Self who is chosen by the Self.' - Sri Aurobindo. That is, for those that have this desire to know Him, He too is inviting you. In fact it is within us all to have this desire to merge/engage with this universal Being.Preparing the soil
If one wishes to invite Him, one must consider one's present state of development. It’s a fundamental principle that all this that we see, touch, experience is a permutation of consciousness.

As all this is Him, hence his fundamental nature is pure consciousness. Is it more then this, sure, but for this conversation lets stay with this idea. That is the SELF=pure consciousness=His Divinity.
The SELF or Pure consciousness, is every where ( like akasha or space, everywhere). So, we begin to experience HIM within our SELF as separate from activity, a very personal experience. This is the experience of pure consciousness , or the Absolute, HIS transcendental form.
It is the nurturing of this level of consciousness that prepares the invite - ghrta-prisrha. Our goal is simple, to establish Turiyatit some call SELF Consciousness within us.
So what does it take? To transcend the present level of consciousness and go to finer states of awareness within ourselves.
You say, yajvan, I do not understand this. How can this happen? Let me ask you do something as you are reading this post… keep looking at this post, yet take your awareness and place it on your foot; bring your awareness to your foot. It just takes your intention to do this, yes? Its now on your foot, bring it to your knee, now your eye, and now your nose. Without effort this was done correct? This is the awareness I am taking about. It has as source, where it is still, not bound to anything, an ocean ( as they say in the Veda) of awareness.
To experience this takes the same intent you just exercised. The slightest intent to go inward. Many say, 'oh my mind is too noisy, too many thoughts, distractions… it hops from thought to thought, very unruly'. Yes, this we know. But why this hopping? It's looking for more happiness. It will not stop until it finds this. And this happiness is fulfilled when one resides in the Infinite, His arms. Nalpe sukham asti - 'finite things do not contain happiness' - rishi Sanatkumara
Even Arjuna told the same thing to Krsna on the unruliness of the mind. Krsna explains much in the Gita, but addresses Arjuna's question.
He understands this unruliness, yet suggests, with the right approach/intent the mind can become a tool for ones success. He tells Arjuna to be without the 3 guna's. This is most profound, because the only place they are not ( 3 guna's) is in the Absolute. So, Krsna is letting Arjuna know, that transcending is of great import.
Many have been instructed to whip the mind to accomplish this… since it is unruly we will discipline it and control it. We will concentrate and consider our practice unsuccessful when the mind wonders. That is like asking a bee to stay with only one flower and not to move. This my fellow sadhu only cases stress, angst and dulls the mind. The key is to allow the mind to do what it does best, to expand, to go to more happiness. This is the wisdom of the ages that has been lost. Just as you teach your children to dive into a swimming pool, you give them the correct angle, point them to the water, and allow gravity to bring them into the water, yes? Like that, this is how one meditates, and transcends. We take the right approach and allow the mind to do what is does best. It is our responsibility to find the right teacher who understands this simple but powerful approach.
So, to invite Him, the soil is based on the awareness coming fuller, brighter, as our ability to hold this consciousness of silence within our dally life's. Kind of like bleaching a yellow sheet in the sun. We bring it out and hang it in the sun, we do this over time and the sheet turns white from the brilliance of the sun's rays. Like that, we bring our awareness to the Sun within us, and over time it becomes purer and purer.
From this our behaviors improve, Yama and Niyama become attractive to us, our dharma becomes clearer. From this we are preparing the soil for the SELF to realize itSELF by ItSELF. It is from this that we are gaining and garnering the credentials to invite and know HIM.This is from self effort. From our intent to move towards Him, to prepare the soil. More if there is interest.

"when the infinite vibrates, the worlds appear to emerge" - rishi vasistha

pranams,

satay
22 January 2007, 10:09 AM
namaste,
How does this work for a someone who is in grastha ashram i.e. performing the duties of being a father, a son, a brother, a husband?

For a sadhu it seems easier to prepare the soil, for a grastha almost impossible because the mind not only wanders off in million different directions but there are actual, real life problems to 'worry' about.

yajvan
22 January 2007, 03:21 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

namaste,
How does this work for a someone who is in grastha ashram i.e. performing the duties of being a father, a son, a brother, a husband?

For a sadhu it seems easier to prepare the soil, for a grastha almost impossible because the mind not only wanders off in million different directions but there are actual, real life problems to 'worry' about.

Namaste Satay,
A most practical question... Enlightenment is for all. Many of the rishi's ( too) were home body's yes? The rishi's have children, and they are groomed as rishi's. Yajnavalkya was married ( Maitrryi's story of her conversation with her husband - called Maitreyi Brahmana).
Now, there is the way for the recluse, and the way for the householder.
For the householder, skill in actions ( yogastha kuru karmani) is of great value; We live in the hussle bussle of diversity and daily life. The recluse stays content away from worldly affairs.
It does not matter if one is a recluse or the house holder to 'withdraw, then withdraw from the withdrawal' . That is, rest and activity. This is to transcend, then come back into activity and act. It's very practical, because the return on invested time is clarity of thought, the march to pure awareness, the infusion of Being into one's daily life... very practical.
Krsha's instructions ( Chapt 2, BG) is for all aspriants of the Divine, of this there is no doubt. 'Let him ( the native) sit united, looking to Me as Supreme' (BG2.61) is for all of us!
Perhaps others wish to comment - the gyana yoga and karma yoga. We as householders can participate and make progress to Moksha. Both are rooted in pure consciousness ( Brahman).
We an talk more on this... its a matter of choice, actions and results. more as we continue this dialog.

pranams,

satay
22 January 2007, 03:53 PM
namaste yajvan,

Thank you for the post.

It does not matter if one is a recluse or the house holder to 'withdraw, then withdraw from the withdrawal' . That is, rest and activity. This is to transcend, then come back into activity and act. It's very practical, because the return on invested time is clarity of thought, the march to pure awareness, the infusion of Being into one's daily life... very practical.

What you are saying is that we perform grastha duties without attachment. Am I understanding correctly? This non-attachment is not easy to practice. Even if one keeps a pet in the house or a plant one could get attached to it. It is only 'human' :)

How to transcend, then come back into activity? How to prepare the soil for the invitation?

Please share more...

yajvan
22 January 2007, 05:28 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

namaste yajvan,
What you are saying is that we perform grastha duties without attachment. Am I understanding correctly? This non-attachment is not easy to practice. Even if one keeps a pet in the house or a plant one could get attached to it. It is only 'human' :)

How to transcend, then come back into activity? How to prepare the soil for the invitation? Please share more...

Namaste Satay,
A good question again. There is no need to worry or try to be non-attached. This causes strain and prohibits the normal flow of activities in one's daily life. Non-attachment is all about the senses working in the field of the senses. It is just by meditating in this manner of experiencing finer levels of consciousness ( subtler levels) , that is all. that is the notion of withdraw .

We withdraw and go sit down and meditate. the senses withdraw from the field of the senses, and we go inward. We then have withdrawal from that - that is, come back to the relative field of life, of actions and go about our normal business. We dip into the silience, and then come back. JUst like bleaching the sheet in the sun we talked about. We do this daily and at the sandhya points of the day - morning and evening. We have a post on this, as it mentions the gaps in the day,
This is the simple wisdom of the ages to create this restful alertness in our selves. No need to be non-attached. Now, over time one gets established in the SELF which is seperate from activity - this is where this notion of non-attached has surfaced from. That is, without the 3 gunas. We don't put the cart before the horse.
Many aspirants thought that meant to be non-attached. This makes one aloof yes? and is mood making, pretending to be non-attached is just like pretending to be a king with no castle.
Being with the SELF (turiya consciousness) as seperate from activity is not a mood but an actual experience and a documented path along the way to Kavalya. This is the art of life that has been lost due to time ( Kali Yuga).

So, meditating with the proper sound ( mantra) at the right times is a well begun way to infuse this pure consciousness into our daily lifes.

More posts as we get others to poke at this subject a bit more... good questions Satay! that bring out this simple knowledge.

Znanna
22 January 2007, 06:00 PM
Namaste,

There must be room for Godz to be invited into :)

Like closets, the old needs be recycled for there to be room for new fashions.

Sometimes, meditation time needs to be actually scheduled, else it doesn't get done.

Godz like prayer :D

And, I agree with above comments that, essentially, everything done in devotion brings sweetness.

YMMV

ZN