PDA

View Full Version : English mantras? Mantras in general.

BloodyRose3000
25 June 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm new to meditation and the overall subject in general, and I was interested in mantras. Why exactly do people use mantras? Are they just to focus your mind? Do they have more to do with a form of prayer? They almost seem like saying a catholic rosary (where the prayers are said repetitively to help you focus on what it is you're meditating on (whether that be the concept of God in general, or a specific prayer).

Also, why do mantras have to be in whatever Indian language they always seem to be in. If part of the hindu idea is that God can manifest itself in different ways and different forms, but all still be the same being, then wouldn't that theory apply to language to some extent. After all, it's not like communication with God, or at least the history of it, was exclusive to India (the way Judaism was originally conceived of as exclusive to a specific chosen people).

Shuddhasattva
25 June 2012, 10:42 AM
Namaste

Good questions.

Fundamentally, in the Hindu philosophy of mantra, the world is formed of vibration/sound - shabda. Brahman, insofar as Brahman is the partless composite of all parts, is the form of vibration - shabdabrahman. Shabdabrahman consists of all the deities. Each deity is associated with a particular sound. Sanskrit is held to be a divinely transmitted language, which correlates more exactly than anything else in its sound/deity correspondence, which is mapped in the esoteric systems of Buddhism. Each varna (letter) is associated with a particular deity, or group of deity. Each bija (seed syllable) is associated with a particular deity. In Vedic times, not only was the correct pronunciation key, but the meter, the cadence, accent, everything, was striven for perfection in.

The sound is important.

In sound, the name and the form comingle.

I recommend as follow up reading the first chapters of John Woodroffe's The Garland of Letters.

These two posts may also be of some help:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=84278&postcount=6
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=84282&postcount=7

yajvan
25 June 2012, 11:31 AM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If you also do a search on the term mantra inside the HDF forum you will find dozens of posts on this matter.

There is a few things to consider...akṣara samudaya ( अक्षर समुदय ) is one of them. That is, the union of the sound form ( i.e. the mantra) that comes together for individual use. Will it yield results ( siddhi) or not , will it yield ari ( hostile or pāpā) or not ? You see, not every mantra's vibration is for every person. Just like our body types, some foods are nourshing for one, and not for the other.

So , how does one know ? When the mantra is given by the teacher one can have confidence it will apply; when picking from a book, one will not be sure if it is applicable.

I have found this myself in my studies. I also found some mantra's that yield little results years ago can now be used today. So there is a time factor, a maturity factor, etc. to this. This knowledge is called mantraśāstra.

Some say there are 70 million mantra-s; This is called out in the Mālinīvijayottara tantra (1.18). Later the book calls out that Śiva has appointed 35 million mantras for use. Others say each word of the veda is a mantra ( which is true when one understands the word in full) . In any case there are many more mantras available then one individual may make use of.

You will find much info here on HDF regarding this matter....

praṇām

Amrut
26 June 2012, 06:48 AM
Namaste,

Mantras are of two types.

1. Beej Mantras
2. Puranic Mantras / other mantras

Beej Mantras are from Shastras, which have a more potent impact then other mantras. By chanting Beej mantra, one can quickly evolve spiritually and can have divine vision of the God associated with that mantra.

Puranic

Puranic mantras are devired from Puranas or from great epics like ramayana and mahabharata.

Eg. Beej mantra

OM Sri Ramchandraya Namah

E.g. Puranic Mantra

Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram

Both have an effect on us, but beej mantras are more powerful.

Even the second mantra if chanted with deep devotion will help one evolve very fast.

It depends upon the mindset (nature), on which mantra to chant. Generally a Guru gives mantra, seeing the interest, nature and objective or intention of disciple.

A mantra can be chanted for

1. Divine vision of a Deity / God
2. To achieve siddhis / psychic powers
3. To achieve personal goals or fulfill ones demands.
4. Some even chant mantras to take revenge.

this all depends upon type of person chanting mantra ans the intention with which a mantra is chanted.

there are 3 gunas in Maya.

1. Satva - renunciation, love, compassion - higher qualities that brings one closer to God.
2. Rajas - action, glory, aggressiveness wants to be in hot seat.
3. Tamas - inertia or inactions or lazyness, revenge.

For Maya, everything came to existence and also has 3 gunas, even us.

So each person also has these Gunas but in different permutations an dcombinations.

At one time, one Guna is pre-dominant.

So a sattvik person, in whom satva guna has max % will chant Gods name for divine vision of God

Rajasik person will chant to fulfill his/her desire and ask for siddhis that wil help him acheive his/her goal

Tamasic person will chant mantra to invoke Gods secret powers in order to hurt others.

In Gita, Sri Krishna says, that people worshipping God for sack of Divine vision are very dear to him.

Mantras like Gayatri can also be chanted for removal of negatively in life, to achieve peace, etc.

So the intention matters.

The question is which mantra to chant.

Here are some links which I have collected that might be helpful

http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/2009/09/different-paths-of-self-realisation.html#FormOfGod

Japa (chanting) can be done with or without Japa Mala

The Difference between Japa With and Without Japa Mala (http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/2008/05/difference-between-japa-with-and.html)

Pit-falls in Japa (http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/2009/05/pit-falls-in-japa.html)

This post explains Gunas

Different Paths of Self Realisation (http://indiaspirituality.blogspot.in/2009/09/different-paths-of-self-realisation.html)

Sources are given at the bottom of articles.

P.S. Permission to post links to my articles - which are said by saints is taken from Admin - @Satay)

I do not want to retype it again and again.

ShivaFan
26 June 2012, 02:57 PM
Namaste,

There may also be specific mantras given to you from guru, or a yogi, who sees within you and then if you are ready you are given a gift of this mantra. These will be very powerful and purposeful for you.

There are very special mantras at a given time in life specific to certain paths one has gone down. At the moment of death, for some who are so blessed, Shiva will whisper into your "ear" the Taraka mantra.

Also there are mantras that have certain forces and enlightenment related to certain locations or tirthas or holy places. Such as Kashi.
So consider this as well as you take your journey. Simply the name of God alone is a way you can ask, which could be the most powerful mantra you may ever need when you are given the answer.

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan
26 June 2012, 07:27 PM
Namaste BR3000,

Actually, you asked about Mantras in English. And there are a few. I am very simple, as you can see from my previous response, but I would make a note of the following -

If you are interested, you may want to consider trying this mantra which to my understanding is absolutely agreeable to use in English, and may prove to be very beneficial. It is from a Sri Lankan saint and mystic and great yogi and guru named Yogaswami of Jaffna.

You should consult with others first, but in general if you are interested, you may get up early in the morning and say the English mantra:

I do not know
... and then followed by:
We do not know

I am not an expert, and I will leave that up to your discretion to seek out the advice of more literate Hindus, since the question would be how many times would be advisable to say this mantra in the morning, and such. Personally, perhaps saying it 108 times may be beneficial to you.

Then in the evening, you may want to say the Name of God perhaps. As to which Deva, perhaps you will know yourself. If not, there is one I may suggest. I am not a big fan of Mohandas K Gandhi, but when he was shot his last words were "Hey Ram". Perhaps some say he was simply calling out as if some would say "Oh God" upon a sudden or startling event. But I think his life showed him as a devotee of Rama, and you may be interested to know that Rama's name is also a mantra and a very good one at that which is widely accepted by Hindus all over the world and by those in India who know a lot more than I will learn in my lifetime. You might consider trying this, you might be very surprised as to the result.

Just a side note, sometimes as a jiva soul expands, in way actually becomes "bigger", its destiny can change. At the same time, as one grows, ones destiny may, and likely will, intermingle with the destiny of others. This sort of sounds strange, but that is what I have heard, that your destiny grows, your presence because more expansive than you think and can actually overlap with the destiny of others on the path. As so perhaps the "we" in "we do not know". And if so, as your destiny overlaps, it may be advisable that it overlaps with Devas if you will. Calling the name of God may help in this manner. After all, if indeed this is the situation you may find for yourself, it doesn't hurt to have the little sparks of light of your destiny intermingle with Deva. They are real.

Twilightdance
27 June 2012, 01:30 AM
I'm new to meditation and the overall subject in general, and I was interested in mantras. Why exactly do people use mantras? Are they just to focus your mind? Do they have more to do with a form of prayer? They almost seem like saying a catholic rosary (where the prayers are said repetitively to help you focus on what it is you're meditating on (whether that be the concept of God in general, or a specific prayer).

Also, why do mantras have to be in whatever Indian language they always seem to be in. If part of the hindu idea is that God can manifest itself in different ways and different forms, but all still be the same being, then wouldn't that theory apply to language to some extent. After all, it's not like communication with God, or at least the history of it, was exclusive to India (the way Judaism was originally conceived of as exclusive to a specific chosen people).

Yes, you are somewhat/partially right - one problem with Hinduism is one set of norms gets applied on another, specifically vedic (in name, but really smriti and puranic) gets superimposed on things which have little or nothing to do with vedas. Mantra sadhana is one such thing. Mantra sadhana, sound therapy and vedic chanting are three different things - the middle one a specific new age invention.

Mantra embodies the potentiality of manifestation - dieties and the universe evolved from mantras. Pronounced words only are gross representation of this potentialities which in reality is beyond heard. However way you pronounce it - at the origin they are para vak or the primordial word. So what is mantra sadhana then? external mantra is just the means by which this potentiality (which one already has) is activated through empowerment. Rather than correct grammatical pronunciation -it is best to pronounce it exactly how you received it. After empowerment mantras or the potentiality is active.

Empowerment can be from a living guru but not necessarily. It can happen in dream or even more deeper states - from even inanimate objects like idols or a tree [like the first siddha of the kubjika line].

So its not exactly about pronunciation and grammar - but neither is it about saying things in English or any other language. Its about empowerment and recollecting that experience through the mantra, and develop and stabilize what you have received.

Vedic chanting is a different religion, a different topic, a different custom. It is soothing to hear when pronounced exactly - various accents and style of reciting may or may not have any spiritual purpose. Everybody can benefit from vedic rites - but not everyone can perform them. It is indeed somewhat similar to the Hebrew culture. Vedic incantations are for benefit of all living beings, not just Hindus- but its rituals & mantras are indeed restricted to a few communities. If one appreciates vedic religion one must also be tolerant to this arrangement.

dhyandev
01 July 2012, 01:03 PM
I'm new to meditation and the overall subject in general, and I was interested in mantras. Why exactly do people use mantras? Are they just to focus your mind? Do they have more to do with a form of prayer?

Mantra is a divine instrument with the rare potential of arousing our dormant consciousness. Thus it helps develop our latent powers and brings our original greatness to the fore. The parents give birth merely to our physical body whereas the True Brahmanishtha Sadgurus, the personages established in their True Self, give birth to our Chinmay Vapoo through Mantra-Diksha. Man can attain greatness by developing his dormant powers through Mantra. The regular japa of a mantra reduces restlessness of the mind, brings restraint in life; and works wonders in developing the concentration and memory. A Mantra has different effects on different energy centres of the body. Many personages like Mahavir, Buddha, Kabir, Guru Nanak, Swami Vivekanand, Ramkrishna Paramhansa, Swami Ramtirtha, Pujyapaad Swami Sri Lilashahji Maharaj, etc. have attained respect and reverence all around the world through their awareness of the True glory of Mantra.

BloodyRose3000
02 July 2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you for all the answers :). I spent some time reading through the links posted and contemplating the subject matter at hand. As you can see from my avatar-picture, I'm wasn't raised as a hindu, and thus I don't really have connections to things like guru's or knowledge about the language.

BloodyRose3000
02 July 2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, you are somewhat/partially right - one problem with Hinduism is one set of norms gets applied on another, specifically vedic (in name, but really smriti and puranic) gets superimposed on things which have little or nothing to do with vedas. Mantra sadhana is one such thing. Mantra sadhana, sound therapy and vedic chanting are three different things - the middle one a specific new age invention.

Mantra embodies the potentiality of manifestation - dieties and the universe evolved from mantras. Pronounced words only are gross representation of this potentialities which in reality is beyond heard. However way you pronounce it - at the origin they are para vak or the primordial word. So what is mantra sadhana then? external mantra is just the means by which this potentiality (which one already has) is activated through empowerment. Rather than correct grammatical pronunciation -it is best to pronounce it exactly how you received it. After empowerment mantras or the potentiality is active.

Empowerment can be from a living guru but not necessarily. It can happen in dream or even more deeper states - from even inanimate objects like idols or a tree [like the first siddha of the kubjika line].

So its not exactly about pronunciation and grammar - but neither is it about saying things in English or any other language. Its about empowerment and recollecting that experience through the mantra, and develop and stabilize what you have received.

Vedic chanting is a different religion, a different topic, a different custom. It is soothing to hear when pronounced exactly - various accents and style of reciting may or may not have any spiritual purpose. Everybody can benefit from vedic rites - but not everyone can perform them. It is indeed somewhat similar to the Hebrew culture. Vedic incantations are for benefit of all living beings, not just Hindus- but its rituals & mantras are indeed restricted to a few communities. If one appreciates vedic religion one must also be tolerant to this arrangement.

This was really interesting, as I hadn't separated those 3 things in thought previously.

IcyCosmic
21 July 2012, 08:19 AM
Hey BloodyRose, you may find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wovyc4_k8Y