PDA

View Full Version : Dharmic Wisdom Quotes

Agnideva
22 January 2007, 03:13 PM
Namaste.

This will be a thread dedicated to Dharmic wisdom. Please post quotes or passages dealing with any subject from books, scriptures, sayings, words of wise men and women as you come across them. I will begin by posting the first one.

Agnideva
22 January 2007, 03:15 PM
Hold not that the immature, the credulous, the foolish, the slow, the layman and the fallen to have nothing good in them. They all teach something. Learn from them. Surely we do not give up a game although we have mastered it? Think not lightly of thy Guru should he lack letters and learning. Take the truth he teaches and ignore the rest. Know well that a boat, painted and adorned, will carry you across the river; so also will one that is plain and simple.

Sage Dattātreya (Avadhūta Gītā II.1-2)

satay
22 January 2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks Agni, Great idea!
Here is one from a zen master...

"A great philosophical official, Riko, once asked the strange Zen Master Nansen, to explain to him the old koan of the goose in the bottle.

"If a man puts a gosling into a bottle," said Riko, "and feeds him until he is full-grown, how can the man get the goose out without killing it or breaking the bottle?"

Nansen gave a great clap with his hands and shouted: "Riko!"

"Yes, Master," said the official with a start.

"See," said Nansen, "the goose is out!""

http://www.osho.nl/New-Osho-NL/EnglBooks/GooseOut.htm

Agnideva
23 January 2007, 10:52 AM
Namaste.

I thought this would be appropriate to add under Dharmic Wisdom since it is something we’ve discussed here recently:

When meditation is completed, i.e. when identity with God is realized, only then it becomes possible to renounce the results of actions. Otherwise, how can one surrender the fruits of action to God, if God’s nature remains hidden from him? When one is able to renounce the fruits of action then one attains the utmost peace.

Āchārya Abhinavagupta’s commentary on Bhagavad-Gitā XII.12
Gitārtha Samgraha XII.12

satay
26 January 2007, 05:20 PM
OM, may my speech be rooted in my mind,
and my mind rooted in my speech.
O self-illumined Brahma, be manifest unto me.
Speech and mind form the basis of my knowledge,
so please do not undo my pursuit of knowledge.
Day and night I spend in this pursuit.
I shall speak the law;
I shall speak the truth.
May Brahma protect me; may he protect the speaker, protect the speaker.
OM, shanti, shanti, shanti.

satay
26 January 2007, 05:20 PM
Unless the divine is your experience, the belief is futile!

satay
26 January 2007, 05:29 PM
Sage sankriti once visited Adityaloka, the abode of the sun god, and bowing to him he worshipped him with what is known as 'chakshusmati' vidya.

OM, salutation to the sun god who illuminates the organ of vision!
Salutation to the sun who is a great warrior!
Salutation to teh sun who represents the three conditionings: tamas, rajas, sattva!

O Lord, from untruth lead me to truth,
from darkness lead me to light,
and from death lead me to the eternal.

Salutation to the sun, the son of Aditi, who is in light in our eyes.
And we dedicate all that we have to the sun who rules the universe.

OM

Znanna
26 January 2007, 05:33 PM
Unless the divine is your experience, the belief is futile!

If divine is your experience, you can trade belief for, um, submission.

YMMV

ZN

Agnideva
26 January 2007, 06:20 PM
AUM! May peace radiate there in the whole sky as well as in the vast ethereal space everywhere. May peace reign all over this Earth, in the water and in all herbs, trees and creepers. May peace flow over the whole universe. May peace be in the Supreme Being Brahman. And may there always exist in all peace and peace alone. AUM! Peace, peace, peace!

Agnideva
27 January 2007, 09:05 PM
The Twenty-One “Commandments” of Hinduism

Having taught the Vedas, the guru imparts this post-instruction to the students:

1) Speak the truth.
2) Ever follow Dharma.
3) Be not heedless toward the continued study of the scriptures.
4) Be generous in giving gifts to the learned.
5) Swerve not from the path of truth.
6) Swerve not from the path of duty and righteousness.
7) Be not careless about what is proper and what is good.
8) Be ever gentle, kind and humane to all forms of life.
9) Be not indifferent to the continued dissemination of the scriptures.
10) Be mindful of your debt to the Devas and the ancestors.
11) May your mother be an expression of God to you.
12) May your father be an expression of God to you.
13) May your guru be an expression of God to you.
14) May your guest be an expression of God to you.
15) Perform only those acts that are irreproachable, and not otherwise.
16) Perform only actions that are virtuous, and not otherwise.
17) Breathe not a word to the more distinguished, before you offer them your seat.
18) Give (donate) willingly with respect, and never with disrespect.
19) Give (donate) plentifully, always modestly, with humility, and with sympathy.
20) Seek the advice of the learned and the objective in matters of doubt, and not others.
21) Be cautious with those (falsely) accused, and act in keeping with law and justice.

This is the injunction. This is the instruction. This is the secret of the Vedas. This is Divine behest. This is how it must be meditated on. This is how meditation is to be done.

Taittariya Upanishad (I.11.1-4) of the Krishna Yajurveda

MysticalGypsi
28 January 2007, 04:38 AM
KURAL 595

The length of the lotus stalk depends on the water's depth.
Even so, a man's greatness is proportionate to his mind's energy.

KURAL 597

Elephants stand firm even when wounded by a barrage of arrows.
Strong-willed men are not discouraged when they meet disaster.

Agnideva
29 January 2007, 11:05 AM
Arise! Awake!

Arise! Awake!
And stop not till the goal is reached!

Ye all children of immortality,
Heirs of infinite bliss!
Sleep no more! Weep no more!
Cry no more! Grieve no more!

Proclaim infinite strength!
Proclaim infinite zeal!
Proclaim infinite faith!
Proclaim infinite will!

Arise! Awake!

Fill your brain with iron will!
Make your body strong as steel!
Let your heart be kind and soft;
Fill you mind with the highest thoughts!

Arise! Awake!

Narrow, thorny, long your way,
Sharp as sword all saints so say.
Take the future in your hand,
"Come what may" say "at the end!"

Seek within purity! Seek within divinity!
Seek within reality! Seek within eternity!

Tat Tvam Asi! Thou Art That!
Tat Tvam Asi!

Arise! Awake!

~ Swami Vivekananda

satay
29 January 2007, 08:58 PM
KURAL 595

The length of the lotus stalk depends on the water's depth.
Even so, a man's greatness is proportionate to his mind's energy.

KURAL 597

Elephants stand firm even when wounded by a barrage of arrows.
Strong-willed men are not discouraged when they meet disaster.

namaste,
what is 'kural?'

satay
29 January 2007, 11:23 PM
I found this on wikipedia:
"
The Kural is one of the most important forms of classical Tamil poetry. It is a very short poetic form, exactly in 2 lines, the first line consisting of 4 metrical feet or sIr and the second line consisting of 3 metrical feet. It should also conform to the grammar for Venpa. Thirukkural, one of the greatest philosophical works in Tamil language by Thiruvalluvar, is a typical example.

"

I didn't know...!

Agnideva
30 January 2007, 06:14 AM
Thirukkural, one of the greatest philosophical works in Tamil language by Thiruvalluvar, is a typical example.
I didn't know...!

Apparently, the Thirukkural is so respected in the Tamil-speaking world that they use it in courts of law to take oath. Saint Thiruvalluvar the composer of the Thirukkural was a weaver just like Saint Kabir. There is also a 133 foot statue of Thiruvalluvar at Kanya Kumari, the southernmost tip of India.

Agnideva
30 January 2007, 11:46 AM
"It is a sin to kill a tiger in the forest, but if he enters the village, it may become your duty."

~ Paramaguru Siva Yogaswami

Agnideva
30 January 2007, 08:42 PM
These quotes are great. This morning as I drove to work the sun breaking through a mist and created a "sundog" effect on both sides of it, with a swirling snow effect in the distance. What came to my mind was this "Arise! Awake!" passage. So, I focused on that as I watched the sun cut through the mist in magical fashion! COOL! :)
I love that passage by Swami Vivekananda. Depending on what's on your mind, it seems to take on a different meanings. Perhaps that was his intent, to make you more focused on just what is to be done at that particular point in time (?). :)

Agnideva
31 January 2007, 10:51 AM
"Who is it that loves and who that suffers?
He alone stages a play with Himself.
The individual suffers because he perceives duality.
Find the One everywhere and in everything
and there will be an end to pain and suffering."

~ Anandamoyi Ma

Agnideva
01 February 2007, 05:22 PM
All beings desire happiness always, happiness without a tinge of sorrow. At the same time everybody loves himself best. The cause for love is only happiness. So, that happiness must lie in one. Further that happiness is daily experienced by everyone in sleep, when there is no mind. To attain that natural happiness one must know oneself. For that, self-enquiry, 'Who am I?' is the chief means.

~ Ramana Maharshi

Agnideva
02 February 2007, 06:50 AM
The Master said: If you think, "I know Brahman well," then surely you know but little of Its (true) form; you know only Its form as conditioned by man or by the gods. Therefore, Brahman, even now, is worthy of your inquiry.

The disciple said: I think I know Brahman. I do not think I know It well, nor do I think I do not know It. He among us who knows the meaning of “Neither do I not know, nor do I know,” knows Brahman. He by whom Brahman is not known, knows It; he by whom It is known, knows It not. It is not known by those who know It; It is known by those who do not know It.

Kena Upanishad (II:1-3) of the Samaveda

Agnideva
07 February 2007, 10:15 PM
ayaM nijaH paraH vA iti gaNanA laghuchetasAm |
udAra charitAnAM tu vasudhA eva kuTumbakam ||

Only base minds reckon whether one be kin or stranger;
Those of noble conduct take the whole world as their own family.

~Rigveda

saidevo
16 February 2007, 08:53 PM
Namaste MG.

Here is a discussion about the nature of prana (called the vital force here) and the way it nourishes our health and vitality. For more details, check: http://www.anandgholap.net/Hidden_Side_Of_Things-CWL.htm

(Text in brackets is my additions.)
VITALITY
We all know the feeling of cheerfulness and well-being which sunlight brings to us, but only students of occultism are fully aware of the reasons for that sensation. Just as the sun floods his system with light and heat, so does he perpetually pour out into it another force as yet unsuspected by modern science-- a force to which has been given the name ` vitality' . This is radiated on all levels, and manifests itself in each realm-- physical, emotional, mental and the rest-- but we are specially concerned for the moment with its appearance in the lowest, where it enters some of the physical atoms, immensely increases their activity, and makes them animated and glowing.

We must not confuse this force with electricity, though it in some ways resembles it. The Deity sends forth from Himself three great forms of energy; there may be hundreds more of which we know nothing; but at least there are three. Each of them has its appropriate manifestation at every level which our students have yet reached; but for the moment let us think of them as they show themselves in the physical world. One of them exhibits itself as electricity (fohat), another as vitality (prana), and the third as the serpent-fire (kundalini), of which I have already written in The Inner Life.

So it is the will-force of the Solar Deity continually exercised which holds the atom together as such; and when we try to examine the action of that force we see that it does not come into the atom from outside, but wells up within it-- which means that it enters it from higher dimensions. The same is true with regard to this other force which we call vitality; it enters the atom from within, along with the force that holds that atom together, instead of acting upon it entirely from without, as do those other varieties of force which we call light, heat or electricity.

When vitality wells up thus within the atom it endows it with an additional life, and gives it a power of attraction, so that it immediately draws round it six other atoms, which it arranges in a definite form, this making what has been called in Occult Chemistry a hyper-meta-proto-element. ... It is the little group which makes the exceedingly brilliant bead upon the male or positive snake in the chemical element oxygen, and it is also the heart of the central globe in radium.

These globules are conspicuous above all others which may be seen floating in the atmosphere, on account of their brilliance and extreme activity-- the intensely vivid life which they show...

While the force that vivifies the globules is quite different from light, it nevertheless appears to depend upon light for its power of manifestation. In brilliant sunshine this vitality is constantly welling up afresh, and the globules are generated with great rapidity and in incredible numbers; but in cloudy weather there is a great diminution in the number of globules formed, and during the night the operation appears to be entirely suspended. During the night, therefore, we may be said to be living upon the stock manufactured during the previous day, and though it appears practically impossible that it should ever be entirely exhausted, that stock evidently does run low when there is a long succession of cloudy days. The globule, once charged, remains as a sub-atomic element, and does not appear to be subject to any change or loss of force unless and until it is absorbed by some living creature.

THE ABSORPTION OF VITALITY

This vitality is absorbed by all living organisms, and a sufficient supply of it seems to be a necessity of their existence. In the case of men and the higher animals it is absorbed through the centre or vortex in the etheric double which corresponds with the spleen. It will be remembered that that centre has six petals, made by the undulatory movement of the forces which cause the vortex. But this undulatory movement is itself caused by the radiation of other forces from the centre of that vortex. Imaging the central point of the vortex as the hub of a wheel, we may think of these last-mentioned forces as represented by spokes radiating from it in straight lines. Then the vortical forces, sweeping round and round, pass alternately under and over these spokes as though they were weaving a kind of etheric basket-work, and in this way is obtained the appearance of six petals separated by depressions.

When the unit of vitality is flashing about in the atmosphere, brilliant as it is, it is almost colourless, and may be compared to white light. But as soon as it is drawn into the vortex of the force-centre at the spleen it is decomposed and breaks up into streams of different colours, though it does not follow exactly our division of the spectrum. As its component atoms are whirled round the vortex, each of the six spokes seizes upon one of them, so that all the atoms charged with yellow rush along one, and all those charged with green along another, and so on, while the seventh disappears through the centre of the vortex-- through the hub of the wheel, as it were. Those rays then rush off in different directions, each to do its special work in the vitalisation of the body. As I have said, however, the divisions are not exactly those which we ordinarily use in the solar spectrum, but rather resemble the arrangement of colours which we see on higher levels in the causal, mental and astral bodies.

VITALITY AND HEALTH
The flow of vitality in these various currents regulates the health of the parts of the body with which they are concerned. If, for example, a person is suffering from a weak digestion, it manifests itself at once to any person possessing etheric sight, because either the flow and action of the green stream is sluggish or its amount is smaller in proportion than it should be. Where the yellow current is full and strong, it indicates, or more properly produces, strength and regularity in the action of the heart. Flowing round that centre, it also interpenetrates the blood which is driven through it, and is sent along with it all over the body. Yet there is enough of it left to extend into the brain also, and the power of high philosophical and metaphysical thought appears to depend to a great extent upon the volume and activity of this yellow stream, and the corresponding awakening of the twelve-petalled flower in the middle of the force-centre at the top of the head.

Thought and emotion of a high spiritual type seem to depend largely upon the violet ray, whereas the power of ordinary thought is stimulated by the action of the blue mingled with part of the yellow. It has been observed that in some forms of idiocy the flow of vitality to the brain, both yellow and blue-violet, is almost entirely inhibited. Unusual activity or volume in the light blue which is apportioned to the throat-centre is accompanied by the health and strength of the physical organs in that part of the body. It gives, for example, strength and elasticity to the vocal chords, so that special brilliance and activity are noticeable in the case of a public speaker or a great singer. Weakness or disease in any part of the body is accompanied by a deficiency in the flow of vitality to that part.

VITALITY NOT MAGNETISM
The vitality coursing along the nerves must not be confused with what we usually call the magnetism of the man-- his own nerve-fluid, generated within himself. It is this fluid which keeps up the constant circulation of etheric matter along the nerves, corresponding to the circulation of blood through the veins; and as oxygen is conveyed by the blood to all parts of the body, so vitality is conveyed along the nerves by this etheric current. The particles of the etheric part of man' s body are constantly changing, just as are those of the denser part; along with the food which we eat and the air which we breathe we take in etheric matter, and this is assimilated by the etheric part of the body. Etheric matter is constantly being thrown off from the pores, just as is gaseous matter, so that when two persons are close together each necessarily absorbs much of the physical emanations of the other.

When one person mesmerises another, the operator by an effort of will gathers together a great deal of this magnetism and throws it into the subject, pushing back his victim' s nerve-fluid, and filling its place with his own. As the brain is the centre of this nervous circulation, this brings that part of the subject' s body which is affected under the control of the manipulator' s brain instead of the victim' s, and so the latter feels what the mesmerist wishes him to feel. If the recipient' s brain be emptied of his own magnetism and filled with that of the performer, the former can think and act only as the latter wills that he should think and act; he is for the time entirely dominated.

And there is a lot more useful information in this book The Hidden Side of Things by C.W. Leadbeater. Occult Science, that stems from the ancient wisdom of Satanana Dharma, has a lot to teach us in practical terms.

Agnideva
17 February 2007, 01:24 PM
The mind is chiefly spoken of as of two kinds: pure and impure. The impure mind is that which is possessed of desire, and the pure is that which is devoid of desire. It is indeed the mind that is the cause of men’s bondage and of liberation. The mind that is attached to sense-objects leads to bondage, while dissociated from sense-objects it leads to liberation. So [the wise] declare. Since liberation is predicated of the mind devoid of desire for sense-objects, the mind should always be made free of such desire, by the seeker after liberation.

~Amrtabindu Upanishad (Verses 1-3) of the Sāmaveda.

Agnideva
22 February 2007, 09:59 AM
Boundless beatitude You have given me,
ended all affliction, shown the way of Grace:
O Shiva, eternal at the core of sound,
Shivalingam within the heart,
atom within atom, vast beyond all vastness,
sweetness hid in the hardened node.
You have steadied me clear in human form
all besmeared with holy ashes;
added me to the congregation
of Your servants true and trusty;
made me experience in my heart
the inmost meaning of the five letters*;
restored my real state to me;
and rule me now, O Master of Wisdom,
Vinayaka. Your feet alone,
O Master of Wisdom, Vinayaka, Your feet alone, are my sole refuge.

(*five letters = panchakshara)

~Auvaiyer Ma

Agnideva
26 February 2007, 01:29 PM
Have no fear, O restless mind,
The Eternal One takes thought for you.
He knows how to fulfil your wants.
Then cry to Him alone for help,
His Name will lead you safe across.

~Lalleshvari (Lal Ded)

Agnideva
27 February 2007, 04:39 PM
The consciousness in you and the consciousness in me,
apparently two, really one, seek unity - and that is love.

~Nisargadatta Maharaj

Agnideva
28 February 2007, 02:04 PM
THE word 'Hindu' has been interpreted by scholars in various ways, but the real meaning is 'Hin' (Hinsa or Violence), 'Dur' (far from): people who keep away from violence. The Hindus have been praying since the ages for the peace and prosperity of all the Worlds. "Loka Samasta Sukino Bhavantu". Their conception of the immanence of God is strong and unshakable. The rituals, ceremonies, vows and rites prescribed in Hinduism are all directed to the promotion and well-being of "all the Worlds". This is the reason why Hinduism is still alive and active.

~Satya Sai Baba

Zardozi
28 February 2007, 03:50 PM
"~Oh Lord krshna, I have read by disciplic succession that those that intefere with family traditions, dwell forever in the remains of hell~"

Somewhere in the B. Gita.

Om Namah Shivaya,
Zardozi

MysticalGypsi
02 March 2007, 03:34 PM
Toward whom does the rising Flame aspire? Toward whom does the Wind
eagerly blow? On whom do all the compass points converge? Tell me of
that Support--who may he be?

Atharva Veda X, 7, 4

Where do the half months and months together proceed in consultation
with the year? Where do the seasons go, in groups or singly? Tell me of
that Support--who may he be?

Atharva Veda X, 7, 5

Toward whom run the sisters, day and night, who look so different yet
one summons answer? Toward whom do the waters with longing flow? Tell
me of that Support--who may he be?

Atharva Veda X, 7, 6

Agnideva
04 March 2007, 08:04 AM
The essential nature of bondage is nothing other than desire, and its elimination is known as liberation. It is simply by not being attached to changing things that the everlasting joy of attainment is reached.

You are One, conscious and pure, while all this is inert non-being. Ignorance itself is nothing, so what is the point of wanting to understand?

Kingdoms, children, wives, bodies, pleasures -- these have all been lost to you life after life, attached to them though you were.

Enough of wealth, sensuality, and good deeds. In the forest of samsara the mind has never found satisfaction in these.

How many births have you not done hard and painful labour with body, mind, and speech. Now at last, stop!

~Sage Ashtavakra
Ashtavakra Gita X:4-8.

Agnideva
05 March 2007, 12:08 PM
yo vai bhuma tat sukham nalpe sukham asti bhumaiva sukham bhuma tveva vijijnasitavya iti bhumanam bagavah vijijnasa iti ||

- Chandogya Upanishad (VII.23.1) of the Samaveda

Translation/commentary by Swami Krishnananda:

"Happiness is Plenum, happiness is completeness, happiness is the totality, happiness is in the Absolute," declares the great master Sanatkumara.

The term 'bhuma' used in this Upanishad is a novel word of its own kind which cannot be easily translated. It has a pregnant significance within itself which implies absoluteness in quantity as well as in quality, an uncontaminated character, permanency of every type, immortality, infinity and eternity. All these ideas are embedded in the very concept of what the Upanishad calls 'bhuma'. Well, we can translate it in no other way than to call it the Absolute Being. The Brahman of all the Upanishads is the same as the Bhuma mentioned here in this Chhandogya Upanishad. That alone is happiness.

Agnideva
23 March 2007, 05:55 PM
That Supreme Light which projected Itself as the universe like a soaked seed which sprouts – I am that Supreme Light. I am that Supreme Light of Brahman which shines as the inmost essence of all that exists. In reality, I am the same Infinite Brahman even when I am experiencing myself as a finite self owing to ignorance. Now by the onset of knowledge (I realise that) I am really that Brahman, and That is my eternal nature. Therefore, I realise this identity by making myself, the finite self, an oblation into the fire of the Infinite Brahman, which I am always. May this oblation be well made.

~Mahanarayana Upanishad (I:67) of the Krishna Yajurveda

http://library.thinkquest.org/22915/supernova.jpg

mirabai
26 March 2007, 12:32 AM
It is in the spirit of Mirabhai, who wrote (among other things):

if by bathing daily, God could be realised
sooner would I be a whale in the deep
if by eating roots & fruits God could be known
gladly would I choose the form of a goat
if the counting of rosaries uncovered God
I would say my prayers on mammoth beads
if by bowing before stone images uncovered God
a flinty mountain I would humbly worship
if by drinking milk God could be imbibed
many calves & children would know God
if abandoning one's wife could summon God
would not thousands be eunuchs?

Mirabhai knows that to find the Divine One
the only indispensible is love

mirabai
27 March 2007, 12:08 PM
"Where Râma is, there is no room for any desire — where desire is, there is no room for Rama; these never coexist — like light and darkness they are never together."
........The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda, Volume 3, Para-Bakta or Supreme Devotion

Agnideva
29 March 2007, 08:03 AM
Look to this Day!
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course lie all the
Verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of beauty;
For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is only a vision;
But today well lived makes
Every yesterday a dream of happiness,
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well therefore to this day!
Such is the salutation of the Dawn!
Listen to the exhortation of the Dawn!

~ Kalidasa
Usha Vandanam
(Salutations of the Dawn)

Agnideva
05 April 2007, 10:21 PM
Namaste MG,

Hey you found the source! KOOL
Yes! I came across this last week and I thought of you, so I posted it here. It is called the Usha Vandanam written by the poet Kalidasa, who is very famous for his Sanskrit plays. Apparently, it is written from the perspective of the Dawn ... it is the Dawn (Usha) speaking to us!

Now is the time to come home to myself….Wow, how profound. Thanks :).

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva
24 April 2007, 05:32 PM
Father, there is little to tell. My consciousness has never associated itself with this temporary body. Before I came on this earth, Father, I was the same. As a little girl, I was the same. I grew into womanhood, but still I was the same. When the family in which I had been born made arrangements to have this body married, I was the same ... And, Father, in front of you now, I am the same. Ever afterward, though the dance of creation change[s] around me in the hall of eternity, I shall be the same.

~Anandamoyi Ma

saidevo
23 May 2007, 06:47 AM
From Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba in His Discourses and Writings

Who Am I?

Na Punyam Na Papam Na Saukhyam
Na Dukkham Na Manthro Na Tirtham
Na Veda Na Yajnam
Aham Bhojanam Na Bhojanam
Naiva Bhojam Na Kartau
Chidananda rupah Shivoham,Shivoham
Sadananda Rupam Advaitam
Sathyam Sivam Sundaram
--- Nirvana Shatkam by Adi Shankaracharya

Neither sin nor merit; neither pleasures nor pain.
Neither sacred formulae nor sacred places.
Neither Vedas nor yajnas (rituals).
I am neither the eaten nor the eater nor the act of eating.
I am the ever blissful One; One without a second.
Truth, Goodness and Beauty.

In this link, Baba sings this song:
http://vahini.org/audio-sai/1-07NaPunyam-Bhauya-Manasu.mp3
I am THAT.

The Power of the Lord's Name

A bar of iron sinks in water, but beat it into a hollow vessel, it will float and carry some weight also. So too, man's mind sinks easily in the sea of desires. Beat it hollow, hammering it with the Name of the Lord. It will float safely on the sea of troubles. -- Baba

Sadhana

(Sanskrit Sloka)
Sathsangatwe Nissangatwam, Nissangatwe Nirmohatwam,
Nirmohatwe Nischalatattwam, Nischalatattwe Jivanmukti

Good company leads to detachment,
detachment makes one free from delusion,
freedom from delusion leads to steadiness of mind
and steadiness of mind confers liberation.

God
Where there is confidence, there is love;
Where there is love, there is truth;
Where there is truth, there is peace;
Where there is peace, there is bliss;
Where there is bliss, there is God.

Agnideva
31 May 2007, 03:39 PM
O strong One! Make me strong!
May all beings look upon me with the eye of a friend!
May I look upon all beings with the eye of a friend!
May we look upon one another with the eye of a friend!

~Shukla Yajurveda Samhita XXXVI.18

mirabai
31 May 2007, 08:18 PM
If I Cannot Forgive Myself

If I cannot forgive myself
For all the blunders
That I have made
Over the years,
Then how can I proceed?
How can I ever
Dream perfection-dreams?
Move, I must, forward.
Fly, I must, upward.
Dive, I must, inward,
To be once more
What I truly am
And shall forever remain.
- Sri Chinmoy (http://www.poetseers.org/sri_chinmoy/)

(http://www.poetseers.org/sri_chinmoy/)

mirabai
31 May 2007, 08:35 PM
" The vast universal suffering feel as thine:
Thou must bear the sorrow that thou claimst to heal;
The day-bringer must walk in darkest night.
He who would save the world must share its pain.
If he knows not grief, how shall he find grief's cure? "

Sri Aurobindo

mirabai
31 May 2007, 08:47 PM
Acquittance she must win from her past's bond,
An old account of suffering exhaust,
Strike out from Time the soul's long compound debt
And the heavy servitudes of the Karmic Gods,
The slow revenge of unforgiving Law
And the deep need of universal pain
And hard sacrifice and tragic consequence.
Out of a timeless barrier she must break,
Penetrate with her thinking depths the Void's monstrous hush,
Look into the lonely eyes of immortal Death
And with her nude spirit measure the Infinite's night.
The great and dolorous moment now was close.
A mailed battalion marching to its doom,
The last long days went by with heavy tramp,
Long but too soon to pass, too near the end.
Alone amid the many faces loved,
Aware among unknowing happy hearts,
Her armoured spirit kept watch upon the hours
Listening for a foreseen tremendous step
In the closed beauty of the inhuman wilds.
A combatant in silent dreadful lists,
The world unknowing, for the world she stood:
No helper had she save the Strength within;
There was no witness of terrestrial eyes;
The Gods above and Nature sole below
Were the spectators of that mighty strife.
Around her were the austere sky-pointing hills,
And the green murmurous broad deep-thoughted woods
Muttered incessantly their muffled spell.
A dense magnificent coloured self-wrapped life
Draped in the leaves' vivid emerald monotone
And set with chequered sunbeams and blithe flowers
Immured her destiny's secluded scene.
There had she grown to the stature of her spirit:
The genius of titanic silences
Steeping her soul in its wide loneliness

Sri Aurobindo

atanu
01 June 2007, 12:14 PM
The essential nature of bondage is nothing other than desire, and its elimination is known as liberation. It is simply by not being attached to changing things that the everlasting joy of attainment is reached.

--------
~Sage Ashtavakra
Ashtavakra Gita X:4-8.

What about the one, who may not know what desire is? Suppose like a stone?

I am inclined to add a bit. Those who have not burned in the fire of desire will not transcend it. May the sage approve it.

Om Namah Shivaya

Agnideva
02 June 2007, 08:41 AM
Power entered within Him.
He is the One, the Onefold, the only One.
In Him all the Gods become unified.
Fame and glory, fruitfulness and fertility,
Brahman splendor, food and nourishment,
belong to him who knows this God as One only.
Not second or third or fourth is He called--
he who knows this God as One only.
Not fifth or sixth or seventh is He called--
Not eighth or ninth or tenth is He called--
He watches over all existent beings,
those that breathe and those that breathe not.
Power entered within him.
He is the One, the Onefold, the only One.
In Him all the Gods become unified.

~ Atharvaveda Samhita XIII.4.12-21

Kaos
06 June 2007, 05:28 PM
The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone's heart. O Arjuna, and is directing the wanderings of all living entities, who are seated as on a machine, made of material energy.

- Bhagavad Gita (18.61)
Translatated by His Divine Grace
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Kaos
07 June 2007, 08:09 AM
http://www.salagram.net/KrishnaAnimalFriends.gif

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit, or water.
I will accept it.
- Bhagavad Gita (9-26)

Agnideva
07 June 2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.quatre-bornes.com/images/qb-lord-shiva.jpg

The One is He, the Two His Sweet Grace
In Three He stood, in all the Four witnessed,
The Five He conquered, the Six He filled,
The Seven Worlds pervades, manifests the Eight.

The Holy One who all life sustains,
Lord of Her, beloved of all the world,
He who spurned Yama, the Southern quarter's King,
Of Him I sing, His glory and praise.

He who stands the same to all,
The Pure One, whom immortal Gods adore,
Whom, even they, that daily stand beside, know not,
Him I seek, praise, and meditate.

The Truth of Spaces Vast, Seek of the Universe orb,
Our Haven of Refuge, He bade me seek and find,
Him I praised by night and day,
And praising thus, gloom dispelled,
I held firm in this world of strifes.

~Tirumantiram, Invocation Verses 1-4.

saidevo
13 June 2007, 12:53 PM
Quotes from Swami Atmananda

Deep Sleep

1. Deep sleep is the key to the ultimate Truth.
Sleep knowingly.

259. In deep sleep, ‘I am I’; and I can never come out of it.

599. Sleep involuntarily and you will be taken to the ignorant man’s deep sleep. Sleep voluntarily and you will be taken to nirvikalpa samadhi. Sleep knowingly and you will be taken right to your real nature (your natural state) beyond all samadhi.

669. Let the mind be asleep to the whole world and wakeful to the real ‘I’.

705. The easiest way to understand the Sage is to direct your mind to your deep sleep. The Sage is there. The Sage is deep sleep as it is rightly understood.

721. The only clue given to us by the unseen, to understand one’s own real nature, is the ‘deep sleep state’. That alone is ours in fact.

752. Deep sleep is the most important part of your life; and it saves you from going mad.

806. See to it that both ends of your sleep are saturated with the thought of your real nature, your native home.

879. Not seeing the Reality, or forgetting the Self, is sleep. Seeing the Reality, or visualizing the Self, is real waking. To be really awake is not to be awake with sense organs and mind, but with Consciousness. The present waking state is verily a sleep or a dream.

946. If deep sleep loses its sense of objectivity and becomes subjective, you are free.

God

99. When Shiva is visualized as the ultimate Truth, the world is reduced to a mere appearance – making Shiva’s title of destroyership literally significant.

488. God, as he is ordinarily conceived, is the highest manifestation of the human mind.

Guru and Disciple
15. You realize the moment you hear the Truth from the Guru.

251. A disciple need never bother himself about what the Guru is doing for him. A disciple can never conceive or understand it, in its real significance. You need only know that the Guru takes you from the phenomenal to the Absolute.

307. On listening to the Guru you realize the Truth, now and here. You have only to cling on to it, in order to take it to then and there.

315. A Sage who has left his mortal coil can never be a Guru to a new aspirant.

317. A thought about the Guru, just before any activity, brings the living presence of the Guru to preside over the activity or to illuminate the experience that follows.

531. Orders of the Guru, as originating from the ultimate Reality itself, are imperative commands and have to be obeyed literally.

536. The establishment of the disciple in the ultimate Truth is the greatest, the fittest and the only dakshina (offering) one can humbly place at the feet of one’s Guru for the invaluable services rendered by him.

582. You had been enamoured of the pot. The Guru has been showing you that it is nothing but earth, without doing the least violence to the pot.

629. Admitting that shastras came from jnyana [knowledge] and not the other way about, the shastras can well be dispensed with, if a personification of jnyana as a Karana-guru is available to lead you.

638. You need not and cannot know the Guru. If you know the Guru or if you do not know the Guru, in either case you cannot become a disciple. So you had better accept him when you feel you must.

641. Looking at the Guru’s body is like trying to catch the figure on a silver screen. All your preconceived standards and expectations regarding it fail.

697. You become a true disciple only at the highest level, when your personality vanishes and you stand as the impersonal Truth. Then there is no duality of any kind, like the Guru or disciple or relationship.

When you say, see or think that you are a disciple, you are a witness to the discipleship and not a disciple.

699. Your slavery to the body, senses and mind is dissolved only in the alchemy of your love for the free – the Guru. Freedom is the surrender of slavery at the feet of the Guru – the Absolute.

713. So far as the disciple is concerned the Guru is the light that first lights up even the Reality.

766. ‘I am Peace; because my Guru has said so’, says Shri Shankara.

877. You begin to love your Guru only when that which was given by the Guru is accepted wholly by you.

944. The word of the Guru is the highest proof to a disciple. ‘I am not the jiva. By the word of my Guru, I am Peace ultimate.’ (Shri Shankara)

972. It is only the ignorant man, who had not the good fortune to be blessed by a living Sage (Guru), that usually takes to the shastras somewhat helplessly. The ultimate purpose of all shastras is only to give an indirect idea about the Truth, and above all to impress upon the aspirant the supreme necessity of the help of a Karana-guru for the attainment of the Truth.

Jivan Mukta

54. Every man is a jivan-mukta [free within, while living as a person in the world]; but he h
583. A jivan-mukta who is established in the Absolute does not seek to be conspicuous in any phase of his apparent life. Jivan-muktas of the traditional path even dread such recognition.
as only to know it.

837. When you stand as body, you are a jiva [a personal ego]. When you stand as mind, you are God. When you stand as Truth, beyond both body and mind, you are a jivan-mukta (the Absolute).

You throw away the body by simply becoming aware of it.

963. The jivan-mukta is a living commentary of the Truth you have visualized.

Love
255. Love becomes divine when personality is not emphasized.

444. A ‘smile’ has the aroma of consciousness in it, and therefore it naturally turns the attention of the aspirant towards the impersonal.

459. Worship of God ensures the pleasures of heaven (drishta-phala-sadhya). But worship of the Guru ensures permanent happiness (including the former if desired, though in fact they are never desired – drishtadrishta-phala-sadhya).

674. ‘That which spoke to you will always be there to help you, and that which spoke to you should always be loved.’

889. If you really love another, you lose yourself in the other.

917. The vanishing of subject-object relationship is the experience of love. ‘Love all’ is a glorious ideal accepted by the world and the vedantin alike; but their implementations differ. The humanitarian worker emphasizes the ‘all’, and misses the happiness. But the vedantin emphasizes love (happiness) – his own nature – and misses the ‘all’, which is but an empty word and an illusion.

Philosophy

182. Advaitic philosophy does not talk in terms of opposites. It always means only what it says. When it says ‘It is not active’, that does not mean ‘It is inactive.’

121. Space begets objects, and objects beget space.

323. Beauty is personalized when you perceive it. But, in itself, ‘beauty’ is an expression of the Absolute. It is harmony itself and is not perceivable.

Knowledge (in the relative sphere) is becoming one with another with one’s intellect.

Love is becoming one with another with one’s whole being. So love is relatively deeper. Deeper knowledge is love.

Direct perception is silent knowing.

327. Man alone, of all living beings, exists and knows he exists.

336. Children have to be educated at School on ‘avidya’ [‘false learning’] relating to varied subjects, and at home on ‘vidya’ [‘true learning’] regarding the ‘I’- principle, the permanent background of all that is taught at school.

420. You have to give up all that you deem to possess, before you are let into the ultimate Truth.

557. The effect is the cause of the cause.

567. The non-existence of the non-existent is existence itself. The existence of the non-existent disproves non-existence.

665. ‘A sincere atheist is much nearer the Truth than a superstitious and indifferent bhakta [devotee].’

964. Nobody worships the idol, and nobody worships without an idol.

Realization

3. I see Me where the ‘where’ is not
I see Me when the ‘when’ is not
I see Me when ‘I see me not.’

10. Mind as mind knows no peace, and mind at peace is no mind at all.

14. One should be equally alive in samadhi as well as in worldly activity.

20. All the world is my object, and I am the changeless subject.

25. Knowing or loving an object really means absorbing the object into your own
Self, thereby destroying all illusion and separateness.

27. You cannot be liberated by knowing your sat [existence] aspect alone; but your cit [consciousness] and ananda [happiness] aspects have also to be known.

Reality can be expressed only by negative import, because it is nameless and attributeless. But it expresses itself in all names and forms.

36. Realization is only here and now. Only know it and hold on to it, till it becomes your natural state.

67. Karma-sannyasa [renunciation] is the perfection of the supposed passive principle in man; and karma-yoga (the usual path of the householder) is the perfection of the active principle in man. But realization is beyond both passivity and activity.

78. After realization you may live apparently exactly as before; but you will never be able to resist the reaction of the subjective transformation you have undergone.

84. Realization consists in becoming deeply aware of the fact that you have never been in bondage. Because realization can never happen: it can never occur in time. To the question: ‘When shall I realize?’, the answer can only be: ‘When the “when” dies.’

106. When the thought that you are Atma, the Reality, becomes as strong as your
present thought that you are the body, then alone are you free.

116. It is only when you consider things just as they appear, that any problem arises.

125. The disinterested witness alone enjoys the picture exhibited for sale. Neither the vendor nor the vendee enjoys it.

158. Diversity can be diversity only through Me, the ‘One’.

203. Beware of happiness in samadhi. Enjoy it if it comes unsought. But never
desire that happiness or court samadhi for that.

227. The sage has both worldly and spiritual activities. To him both are recreations each in relation to the other (on an equal footing).

282. Realization is the harmonious blending of the head and the heart, in Peace.

329. From inactivity (even of nirvikalpa samadhi) you cannot get to the beyond without something active coming to your help. But from the active sphere (the waking state), you can rise straight to the Ultimate, merely by understanding it aright.

357. Language is the art of concealing thought, and thought is the art of concealing Truth. Transcending or giving up language and thought together with their samskaras, you reach the Truth direct.

Bondage is the conviction that the object remains over, after every experience of knowledge or Peace. Liberation is the conviction that not even a trace of the object remains over, after every such experience.

363. Every activity is recorded in knowledge, your real nature, before another activity commences.

391. If, when you think of consciousness, the ‘I’-thought comes in spontaneously and vice versa, then you are free. And if, when you think of the body, the ‘I’- thought comes in spontaneously and vice versa, then you are bound.

452. A householder Sage is inwardly a perfect sannyasin [renouncer], and outwardly a man of the world.

481. If you lose yourself in any action, that action will be the most successful.

486. ‘One in the one is not one.’ An individual who has reached the Ultimate no longer remains an individual.

499. When the world is shining, ‘I am I-ing.’

604. Be unqualified and you are free.

645. When personality comes into the impersonal it is bondage. When personality merges in the impersonal it is liberation.

655. Liberation is not an escape from bondage. Both are expressions of the real freedom, the former discovering and the latter covering your real nature.

658. Neither the question nor the answer really enriches you. But the level at which both of them emerge is beyond the relative. Be there and you are free.

692. The path to the Ultimate lies from the changing, through the changeless, to the beyond.

800. Real sannyasa [renunciation] is the surrender of your sense of separateness from the Reality, to that Reality itself.

918. The thought that certain things are obstacles to spirituality is itself the first obstacle.

940. Desire for liberation or Truth is not the function of the ego, but is the expression of the ‘being’ in you.

If one says sincerely that he takes a delight in being bound, surely he is liberated.

Sadhana

379. Mantra is a harmonious sound or group of sounds, with or without an intelligible surface meaning, but capable of creating and applying some definite and potential energy if properly uttered.

493. The best time for meditation (if necessary) is at waking from deep sleep, but before becoming fully awake to the world.

494. Nature works normally and regularly. Your sadhana should never be pitched against or contrary to the current of nature.

546. Truth is transmitted neither through language nor through samadhi [meditative absorption]. Both of them only destroy variety and point to the Truth. Between the two, language is preferable by far, because it retains the power of initiative and discrimination which are lost to the one in samadhi. Discrimination alone can lead you beyond.

622. Tears of soft divine emotion are the panacea for all yogic ills.

971. It is said that a devotee goes into samadhi with tears in his eyes and that a Jnyanin comes out of samadhi with tears in his eyes. But I say that this is not yet the whole truth. One can very well both go into and come out of samadhi with tears in his eyes. This is definitely higher than the former experiences.

Time

77. The ‘present’ is only a mere word representing an agreement – so to say –
between the past and the future, to provide a common meeting ground for them.

275. The past is past only in the present.

590. Memory merges the past into the present; and the present, when examined minutely, disappears altogether.

648. Time is the fourth dimension, according to the vedantin.

653. Time strives hard in this world not to connect events, but to disintegrate them and to establish diversity.

Vedanta

103. Science wants to establish oneness outside in objects perceived. But Vedanta wants to establish oneness inside, outside and everywhere.

404. Vedanta dispossesses one completely of his phenomenal address.

577. Religions teach you to love others at the physical and mental levels. But Vedanta teaches you to become that love, pure and impersonal, beyond the mind’s level.

Vicara (Inquiry)

8. The absence of any objective perception, thought or feeling – which is wrongly called ‘nothingness’ – is the svarupa [true nature] of real, unconditioned Happiness.

The ajnyana [ignorance] of Truth is the jnyana [knowledge] of objects.

205. Ethics has always unselfishness as its goal. But witnesshood takes you even
further, and makes you selfless or egoless.

272. Action proceeds from inaction and inaction proceeds from action. So both are non-existent as such. ‘All the world is relative. I am the only Absolute.’

339. Misunderstanding cannot know understanding. But, on the contrary, understanding alone can know misunderstanding. When understanding begins to know misunderstanding, misunderstanding becomes understanding itself.

526. You have a physical life and a mental life, but you rarely know you have a Self life or an atmic life.

529. A statement of mine helps you not when you take it but when you leave it.

540. There was no violence in Lord Krishna’s advice to Arjuna to fight; because Arjuna was already deprived of his sense of enjoyership and doership, which alone make action binding.

544. I am the world not by my becoming the world, but by the world becoming myself.

584. We see harmony in this world only on rare occasions and that only superficially. But the Sage sees the same harmony always and everywhere, nay even in apparent misery and discord.

591. It is not you who see the world. It is the illusion of the apparent ‘I’ seeing the illusion of the world. What does it matter to you?

756. Knowledge without object is wisdom.

761. To the individual soul (the ego), everything is outside. To God, everything is inside. To the Sage or Jnyanin, there is neither inside nor outside. He is beyond both.

778. If happiness assumes the form of riches, it gives rise to bondage. If riches assume the form of happiness, it results in liberation.

803. Work is a hindrance to spirituality if the ego is present, and a help if the ego is absent.

815. The mind and intellect only cleanse the road and pave the way for the royal procession of the heart to the Ultimate.

816. The mind is the father of all illusion.

832. Words speak in a child; ideas speak in a man; and Truth speaks in a Sage.

834. Learning is darkness, and knowledge is light. Learning, pertaining only to objects of ignorance, of course sharpens the intellect and accumulates information; but you do not get a ray of light from all that.

In the light of knowledge, all learning disappears as illusion.

842. Unless you see inwardly, you cannot see outwardly either. The one is a corollary of the other.

849. Consciousness illumines objects at a distance. It destroys objects on contact.

881. The mind becomes pure only by its own death. The attempt to purify the mind by any amount of other effort is futile.

886. The purpose of life is to know the Truth and to be it. You can never be happy; you can only be happiness.

896. Things, both by their presence and by their absence, affect you and hide the Truth from you.

902. A means, which is an illusion, is first adopted from the relative sphere which is all illusion. But reaching the goal when you look back you find that the ‘world illusion’ has disappeared and the ‘means-illusion’ along with it, leaving you all alone in your own glory.

904. Recognition is an acceptance of the fact of Truth. Repetition of it makes recognition deeper and deeper. Recognition, remembrance and hope are the three props that maintain the continuity of individual life.

913. You are in the right line of thinking if it takes you to the witness direct. The real test of the right line of thinking is whether it takes you to the witness.

980. The body is the cell in which both the Sage and the ignorant man seem to rest -– one feeling free, and the other bound.

996. Worldly knowledge expires in enjoyment; enjoyment expires in becoming; and becoming expires in being.

Kaos
13 June 2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.shaktishop.com/images/prod_MandalaP_Krishna_Arjun.jpg

The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone's heart, O Arjuna, and is directing the wanderings of all living entities, who are seated as on a machine, made of material energy.

- Bhagavad Gita (18-61)

yajvan
19 June 2007, 08:11 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Quotes from Swami Atmananda

Deep Sleep
1. Deep sleep is the key to the ultimate Truth.
Sleep knowingly.

Namaste Saidevo,
this is beautiful and filled with truth... it is said, within [deep] sleep we are the closest to Brahman, to that fullness.

just wonderful...thx for posting.

pranams,

Kaos
21 June 2007, 10:00 AM
Chapter Three
Shri Mahaprabhu-sarvabhaumoddharah Shad-bhuja-pradarsanam Gauda-vijayas ca

If the Lord does not reveal His true identity, who has the power to know it?

"The Vedas say that one should touch the dust of a saintly person's feet. But a proud sannyasi will not humbly bow down before anyone.

"Pride is never good. Please know that Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.19.16) declares

pranamed dandavad bhumav
asva-candala-go-kharam
pravishto jiva-kalaya
Tatraiva bhagavan iti

"Aware that the Supreme Personality of Godhead resides alongside the soul in every body, one should offer dandavat obeisances to every living being, even to dogs, cows, mules, and outcastes."

"The religious duty of a Vaishnava is to offer respectful obeisances to everyone. But that is something the hypocrites, who proudly wrap themselves with the flag of religion, do not like."

Ganeshprasad
22 June 2007, 04:00 PM
pranam all

Although not a quote as such but a bhajan, yet full of wisdom.

II

Vaishnav Jan to tene II

वैष्णव जन तो

वैष्णव जन तो तेने कहिये जे

पीड़ परायी जाणे रे

पर दुख्खे उपकार करे तोये
मन अभिमान ना आणे रे
वैष्णव जन तो तेने कहिये जे ...

सकळ लोक मान सहुने वंदे
नींदा न करे केनी रे
वाच काछ मन निश्चळ राखे
धन धन जननी तेनी रे

सम दृष्टी ने तृष्णा त्यागी
पर स्त्री जेने मात रे
जिह्वा थकी असत्य ना बोले
पर धन नव झाली हाथ रे

मोह माया व्यापे नही जेने
द्रिढ़ वैराग्य जेना मन मान रे
राम नाम सुन ताळी लागी
सकळ तिरथ तेना तन मान रे

वण लोभी ने कपट- रहित छे
काम क्रोध निवार्या रे
भणे नरसैय्यो तेनुन दर्शन कर्ता
कुळ एकोतेर तारया रे
Vaishnav Jan to tene kahiye
Jay peerh paraaye janneyray
Par dukkhey upkar karey teeyey, man abhiman na anney ray
Sakal lokma Sahuney bandhey,
Ninda Na karye kainee ray
Baach kaachh, Man nischal Raakhey, dhan-dhan jananee tainee ray
Samdrishi nay trishna tyagee, par-stree jaynay mat ray
Vivihva thaki asatya na bolay, par-dhan nav jhaley haath ray
Moh maaya vyaayey nahin Jeynay, dridth vairagya jana manma ray
Ram-nam-shoom taalee laagee,
Sakal teerth seyna tanma ray
Vanloohee nay kapat rahit chhay,
Kaam, Krodh nivarya ray
Bhane Narsinhyo tainoo darshan karta kul ekotair taarya re.

English:

Speak only as godlike of the man who feels another's pain
Who shares another's sorrow and pride does disdain
Who regards himself lowliest of the low
Speaks not a word of evil against anyone
Blessed is the mother who gave birth to such a son
Who looks upon everyone as his equal,
Lust he has renounced
Who honors women like he honors his mother
Whose tongue knows not the taste of falsehood
Nor covets another's worldly goods
Who longs not for worldly wealth (or fame)
For he treads the path of renunciation
Ever on his lips is Ram's holy name
All places of pilgrimage are within him
He has conquered greed, is free of deceit, lust and anger
Through him Narsinh has godly vision
And his generation to come will attain salvation

1. Vaishnav jan to tene kahiye, je peeD paraaee jaNe re ... [He is the true Vaishnava who knows and feels another's woes as his own]
Par dukkhe upkar kare toye, man abhiman na aaNe re ... [Ever ready to serve, he never lets vanity get to his head]
2. SakaL lok maan sahune vande, nindaa ne kare keni re ... [Bowing to everyone humbly and criticising none]
Vaach-kaacch-man nischaL raakhe, dhan-dhan janani teni re .. [He keeps his speech, deeds and thoughts pure; blessed is the mother who begets such a one]
3. Sam-drushti ne trishNaa tyaagi, parastree jhene maat re ... [He looks upon all with an equal eye. Having rid himself of lust, he treats and reveres every woman as his mother]
Jivhaa thake, asatya na bole, par-dhan nava jhaale haath re ... [His tongue would fail him if he attempted to utter an untruth. He does not covet another's wealth]
4. Moh-maayaa vyaape nahin jhene, draDh vairagi jhena manmaa re ... [The bonds of earthly attachment hold him not. His mind is deeply rooted in renunciation]
Raam-naam shu taaLire laagi, sakaL teerath tena tanmaa re ... [Every moment he is intent on reciting the name of the Lord Rama. All the holy places are ever present in his body]
5. VaNa lobhi ne kapat rahit chhe, kaam krodh nivaarya re ... [He has conquered greed, deceit, passion (lust) and anger]
BhaNe Narsaiyyon teno darshan kartaun, kuL ekoter tarya re ... [The sight of such a Vaishnava, says Narsinh, saves a family through seventy-one generations]

Jai Shree Krishna

Kaos
14 July 2007, 07:54 PM
Like wild winds, the draughts I've drunk
have lifted me: have I not drunk Soma?

The sky and earth are not equal even
to one half of me: have I not drunk Soma?

In my glory I eclipse all of heaven
and of earth: have I not drunk Soma?

Aha! this wide earth I'll lift and put there,
or maybe here: have I not drunk Soma?

- Rg Veda X.119

Agnideva
20 July 2007, 05:20 PM
http://madhava.tripod.com/Hanuman/hanuman2.jpg

With the dust of the Guru’s lotus feet
do I cleanse the mirror of my mind.
And narrate the holy exploits of Raghuvir,
the bestower of life’s four aims.
Knowing myself to be deficient in intelligence,
do I concentrate on Pavan Kumar.
Lord, give me strength, wisdom and knowledge,
and remove all my blemishes.

~ Invocation verse of the Hanuman Chalisa

Kaos
20 July 2007, 06:01 PM
One day the Master in an ecstatic mood said to the devotees: "There are many opinions and many ways. I have seen them all and do not like them anymore. The devotees of different faiths quarrel among themselves. Let me tell you something. You are my own people. There are no strangers around here. I clearly see that God is the whole and I am a part of Him. He is the Lord and I am His servant. And sometimes I think that He is I and I am He."

- Sri Ramakrishna

Agnideva
21 July 2007, 05:30 PM
Just as the one, single Sun in the sky gets its many reflections in various vessels of water, so Thou, O Lord, art (variously) reflected in different minds.

~ Siva Gita VII:34

Kaos
21 July 2007, 06:15 PM
Jaya Radha-Madhava

(from Gitavali,by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

Translated by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (http://www.harekrishna.com/col/books/BIO/prab.html)

http://www.indhistory.com/img/hindu-gods-krishna.jpg

(jaya) radha-madhava (jaya) kunja-vihari (jaya) gopi-jana-vallabha (jaya) giri-vara-dhari (jaya) jasoda-nandana (jaya) braja-jana-ranjana (jaya) jamuna-tira-vana-cari

Krsna is the lover of Radha. He displays many amorous pastimes in the groves of Vrndavana, He is the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the holder of the great hill named Govardhana, the beloved son of mother Yasoda, the delighter of the inhabitants of Vraja, and he wanders in the forests along the banks of the River Yamuna.

Kaos
22 July 2007, 05:02 PM
It is the one Reality which appears to our ignorance as a manifold universe of names and forms and changes. Like the gold of which many ornaments are made, it remains in itself unchanged. Such is Brahman and That art Thou.

- Adi Shankara

Kaos
23 July 2007, 05:50 PM
Him who is without beginning and without end, in the midst of confusion, the Creator of all, of manifold form, the One embracer of the universe--by knowing God, one is released from all fetters.

Yajur Veda

Kaos
23 July 2007, 06:27 PM
(19) (http://gita.srimadbhagavatam.org/chapter10.html#text 19) The Supreme Personality said: 'Yes, I will surely tell you about the divine of My personal splendor the principal, o best of the Kurus, as there is no limit to My extent. (20) (http://gita.srimadbhagavatam.org/chapter10.html#text 20) I am, o Arjuna, the soul in the heart of all living beings; I am the origin also, the middle and as well indeed the end of all existing.

Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 10, 19-20)

Agnideva
24 July 2007, 02:19 PM
As space cannot be compared with another space, so Brahman, being above duality, cannot be compared with any object. Brahman alone is perfection, taintless, all knowledge.

~Avadhuta Gita II.9

Agnideva
25 July 2007, 02:59 PM
So long as actions are performed; so long as the impressions of the world of change remain, so long as the senses are fickle; so long, how can there be realisation of Truth? So long as there is pride of body; so long as there is the sense of mineness, so long as there is excited striving; so long as there is imagination of plans; so long as there is not stability of mind; so long as there is no meditation upon the shastras, so long as there is no love for the Teacher; so long, how can there be realisation of Truth?

~Garuda Purana XVI:95-97.

Kaos
25 July 2007, 03:09 PM
Whe jiva attains the state of neutrality to deeds good and evil, then does divine grace in guru form descend, remove attributes all and implant jnana that is untoa heavenly cool shade. The jiva is without egoisity, and the impurities three are finished. He is Siva who all this does.

Tirumantiram

Kaos
25 July 2007, 03:22 PM
Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Tayumanavar

Kaos
26 July 2007, 01:41 PM
As long as the I-sense lasts, so long are true Knowledge (jnana) and Liberation (mukti) impossible.

Sri Ramana Maharshi

yajvan
06 August 2007, 07:55 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Wisdom comes from all different times, here is a neo-classical.

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away.

Steve Jobs- Apple Computer

Ganeshprasad
07 August 2007, 06:24 AM
Listen to the Exhortation of the dawn!
Look to this Day!
For it is Life, the very Life Of Life
In Its brief course lie all the
Verities and Realities of your Existence.
The Bliss of Growth,
The Glory of Action,
The Splendour of Beauty;
For Yesterday is but a dream,
And To-morrow is only a Vision;
But To-day well lived makes
Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,
And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.
Look well therefore to this Day!
Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!

-Kalidasa

Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
07 August 2007, 08:21 AM
Hari OM
~~~~~~

One of my favorites:
Tell a man there are 400 billion stars in the sky and he'll believe you, but tell him a bench is covered in wet paint and he has to touch it. ... Jeanne

at first its cliche' - until one really thinks about the nature of the human condition.

pranams,

yajvan
08 August 2007, 07:55 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."... Mahatma Gandhi

Agnideva
12 August 2007, 09:29 PM
Before the Beginning of things Thou didst exist in the form of a Darkness which is beyond both speech and mind, and of Thee by the creative desire of the Supreme Brahman was the entire Universe born.

This Universe, from the great principle of Mahat down to the gross elements, has been created by Thee, since Brahman Cause of all causes is but the instrumental Cause.

It is the Ever-existent, Changeless, Omnipresent, Pure Intelligence unattached to, yet existing in and enveloping all things.

It acts not, neither does It enjoy. It moves not, neither is It motionless. It is the Truth and Knowledge, without beginning or end, Ineffable and Incomprehensible.

~Mahanirvana Tantra (IV:25-28)

Jai Mata Di
जय माता दी

Agnideva
06 October 2007, 04:03 PM
Once a worldly man approached the great Siddha Guru Gorakshanath, and said: "Guruji, great indeed is your sacrifice. You have given up everything in this world."

Guru Gorakshanath smiled and replied, "My son, your sacrifice is even greater. You have given up the infinite Lord for this finite world."

Aum.

Kaos
07 October 2007, 09:41 AM
Neither pleasure nor pain, nor good nor evil, ever touches this knower of Brahman, who always lives without the body-idea.

Vivekachudamani
Adi Sankaracharya

Kaos
07 October 2007, 10:04 AM
As long as there is mental preoccupation with causality, so long does the worldly state continue. When engrossment with causality is exhausted, one does not attain the worldly state.

Since it is stated in the Vedas, "There is no diversity here", "The Lord on account of Maya (illusion) is perceived as manifold", and "The Self, without being born, appears to be born in various ways", it follows that He is born on account of Maya alone.

Mandukya Upanishad

Kaos
08 October 2007, 09:46 AM
43. I am neither bound nor free. I am not separate from Brahman.

44. Neither the doer nor the enjoyer of the fruits of karma am I. The pervader or the pervaded I am not.

Avadutta Gita
Shri Adi Sankaracharya

SHIVAJI
09 October 2007, 12:36 AM
Ekam Sat Vipra Bahuda Vadanti ( Truth is one; sages call it by various names. )

--- Rig Veda

meez
09 October 2007, 01:24 PM
"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

Shakyamuni Buddha

Kaos
09 October 2007, 02:48 PM
vadanti tat tattva-vidas
tattvam yaj jnanam advayam
brahmeti paramātmeti
bhaga van iti sabdyate

"Those who are knowers of the Absolute Truth describe the Absolute Truth in three features as impersonal Brahman, localized all-pervading Supersoul, and the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna." In other words, Brahman, the impersonal manifestation, Paramatma, the localized manifestation, and Bhagavan, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, are one and the same. However, according to the process adopted, He is realized as Brahman, Paramātma and Bhagavān."

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.11

Agnideva
09 October 2007, 04:29 PM
Always remember the Guru. His spiritual power can be discerned through the four sources of knowledge – the Vedas, direct perception, sacred historical tests, and inference.

I speak, O one with mighty reason, on the theme on which one should always reflect, seeing that you are receptive.

Salutations to the Guru who reveals the Supreme Being by whom this indivisible (cosmic) sphere of animate and inanimate creation is pervaded.

~ Guru Gita 65-67
(contained in the Skanda Purana)

satay
27 November 2007, 12:45 PM
"Parents must teach children to appreciate those who are different, those who believe differently; teach them the openness that they need to live in a pluralistic world where others have their unique ways, their life and culture; teach them the value of human diversity and the narrow-mindedness of a provincial outlook; give them the tools to live in a world of differences without feeling threatened, without forcing their ways or their will on others; teach them that it never helps to hurt another of our brothers or sisters. "

Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami (1927-2001), founder of Hinduism Today

Source: Hindu Press International Nov. 26th, 2007 issue, Daily Inspiration

ShivaFan
06 March 2013, 12:06 AM
Namaste

Buddhirbalam, YasoDhairyam, Nirbhayatvamaroagata,
Ajaadyam, vaakpatutvam cha Hanumadsmaranaadbhavet

Buddhi (Intellect) balam (with strength), Yasas (true name and renown) Dhairyam (endowed with bravery in life), Nirbhayatvam (never discouraged but fearless to any intimidation), Arogata (even free from disease)
Ajaadyam (and even so in epidemics), Vaakpatutwam (then you can be one who keeps ones word and is skilled in speech) cha Hanumad Smaranaadbhavet (Yes, All this! And more! Is yours - If you remember Lord Hanuman)

- Buddhirbalam

Om Namah Sivaya

smaranam
06 March 2013, 03:17 AM
Śrī Īśopaniṣad (http://sriisopanisad.com/en) 15
hiraṇmayena (http://sriisopanisad.com/h/hiranmayena) pātreṇa (http://sriisopanisad.com/p/patrena)
satyasyāpihitaḿ mukham (http://sriisopanisad.com/m/mukham)
tat (http://sriisopanisad.com/t/tat) tvaḿ (http://sriisopanisad.com/t/tvam) pūṣann apāvṛṇu (http://sriisopanisad.com/a/apavrnu)
satya (http://sriisopanisad.com/s/satya)-dharmāya (http://sriisopanisad.com/d/dharmaya) dṛṣṭaye (http://sriisopanisad.com/d/drstaye)
O my Lord, sustainer of all that lives, Your real face is covered by Your dazzling effulgence (like that of the Sun). Kindly remove that covering and exhibit Yourself to Your pure devotee.

Viraja
26 September 2013, 02:29 PM
I've been reading Srimad Bhagavatam by Sri Venkatesananda. I'm presently on Book 4 Chapter 3, where the story of Sati going to Daksha's yagna without invite and facing humiliation there is described. When Sati originally asks Lord Shiva for permission to attend her father Daksha's uninvited yagna, Shiva smiles at her ignorance and utters the following words:

"Knowledge, penance, wealth, physical appearence, age and ancestry enhance the nobility of the noble, but aggravate the wickedness of the wicked. Hence it is unwise to resort to the company of the wicked even if they appear to possess these virtues..."

True to Lord Shiva's guidance provided here, we do see many virtuous traits and intelligence being shown by those otherwise of arrogant disposition.

Inspite of being virtues or results of pious and meritorious deeds, many times in the world as noted from our observations, people of mean disposition exhibit such virtues externally... it is all god's maya and leela in him having accorded these to the undeserving, for as Lord Shiva truly uttered, they do aggravate their ego and make them act out of their wickedness.

How true are lord's words that we should avoid them?

I enjoyed this paragraph and saying.

philosoraptor
26 September 2013, 03:29 PM
The story of shiva and satI is one of my favorite from the bhAgavatam. I liked how Lord shiva exuded calmness even when he is being insulted by daksha, and how he quietly withdrew when all the cursing and counter-cursing was going on. This in my mind is how a yogi should act.

Viraja
26 September 2013, 04:14 PM
The story of shiva and satI is one of my favorite from the bhAgavatam. I liked how Lord shiva exuded calmness even when he is being insulted by daksha, and how he quietly withdrew when all the cursing and counter-cursing was going on. This in my mind is how a yogi should act.

Someone posting on my FB wall recently read 'How others treat you is THEIR karma, but how you react is YOUR karma'! :) True words! Lord Shiva exemplifies the perfect yogi, in the DEvon Ki Dev serial, they make Mahadeva act very human upon Sati's death, that he goes into a temporary state of madness owing to extreme grief, however, Bhagavatam says he was so tranquil in his meditative posture at Kailas after Sati's death, when Brahma and other devas approach him! He knows no pleasure or suffering or misery or animosity, for he has conquered the senses! A perfect Yogi!

brahma jijnasa
06 October 2013, 10:59 AM
"My dear NÄrada, I do not dwell in VaikunÌ£tÌ£ha or in the hearts of the yogÄ«, but wherever My devotees sing My glories" (Padma PurÄnÌ£a)

"I am not happy in Vaikuntha. I am not happy in Goloka. I am not happy by Sri Radha's side. I am happy in the company of My devotees. Wherever My devotees stay, there I stay day and night." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)

"Wherever there is KrÌ£sÌ£nÌ£a, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be opulence, victory, extraordinary power, and morality. That is my opinion." (Bhagavad-gÄ«tÄ 18.78)

"Where the topics of Lord Krsna are present there also are all the demigods, sages, philosophers, saints and holy places of pilgrimage.

By hearing the topics of Lord Hari the hearers become great saints free of all distress. They who hear the beautiful and auspicious topics of Lord Hari become holy places of pilgrimage.

Speaking the glories of Lord Hari, and delivering hundreds and hundreds of listeners, they purify the entire world.

Simply by asking his question, the inquirer purifies his family. Simply by hearing the hearer, purifies his family and all his relatives.

Pure as if he had performed austerities for hundreds of births, he is born in Bharata-varsa. Hearing the nectar of topics about Lord Hari, his life is a success." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)

ShivaFan
06 October 2013, 09:17 PM
Nunam pramattah kurute vikarma

When a person makes vikarma, material enjoyment, the aim of life, he becomes mad, or insane. (Srimad Bhagavatam 5.5.4)

Om Namah Sivaya