PDA

View Full Version : God Is Not a Solution - but a Problem

IcyCosmic
27 June 2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjOnYbKJJw&feature=plcp

What do you think about this video, and OSHO in general?

philosoraptor
27 June 2012, 06:56 PM
I don't think about him.

satay
27 June 2012, 11:46 PM
namaste,
I am an osho student. I have read many of his books/discourses. In my 20's and 30's I was a big fan. I still read him but with caution. OSHO can drive you to atheism so you need to be grounded in your belief system whatever that may be first. A lot of people dislike or even hate him. I first became a big fan of him because he spoke a lot about christianity in particular and god in general.

Twilightdance
28 June 2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjOnYbKJJw&feature=plcp

What do you think about this video, and OSHO in general?

Osho is right - God is generally always a problem.

Shuddhasattva
28 June 2012, 01:29 AM
Osho is somewhat right - human perception of God is generally always a problem.

Namaste

Osho was an unbalanced man - there's great eloquence and erudition in his words, some understanding, and some that is very much misleading. His personal actions and those of the movement that formed around him also left much to be desired.

Twilightdance
28 June 2012, 02:52 AM
Namaste

Osho was an unbalanced man - there's great eloquence and erudition in his words, some understanding, and some that is very much misleading. His personal actions and those of the movement that formed around him also left much to be desired.

He may be unbalanced and towards the end definitely a bit of a megalomaniac - but that God is a problem is not something Osho discovered. He tried to speak on everything under the sun, and I am sure mis represented many things in the process.

Many people have indicated the problem with Mr God, and only with the turn of the century we are seeing people having courage to challenge this fictional being.

IcyCosmic
28 June 2012, 03:23 AM
namaste,
I am an osho student. I have read many of his books/discourses. In my 20's and 30's I was a big fan. I still read him but with caution. OSHO can drive you to atheism so you need to be grounded in your belief system whatever that may be first. A lot of people dislike or even hate him. I first became a big fan of him because he spoke a lot about christianity in particular and god in general.

I'm sorry I'm new to OSHO - does he believe in any form of hinduism or god at all?

Eastern Mind
28 June 2012, 07:17 AM
Vannakkam Icy: I think the idea of a holy man, charismatic, in robes, is pretty unique to Hinduism. There are some in Buddhism as well. There is some debate with regard to actually being Hindu, or teaching Hinduism, with many, not just Osho.

So there is always that subconscious connection - "There goes another Hindu guru," - but personally I think you have to dig deeper into the teachings to decipher that. Often its a bit of this, a bit of that, etc. Personally, I need to hear the term Hinduism applied, but my definition is pretty strict on it.

Aum Namasivaya

c.smith
28 June 2012, 08:44 AM
Hari Om!

My take on OSHO is not favorable based on the discourses I've heard and the articles I've read in his magazine. Was initially interested but the deeper I dug, the more it didn't "feel" right. Especially when it comes to his belief in God and sex.

A saying of mine that might have pertinence - "If you take a problem away from God, you've taken away his power. If you lay it at his lotus feet, miracles will happen."

Jai Jai Hanuman!

satay
28 June 2012, 09:18 AM
namaste,

I'm sorry I'm new to OSHO - does he believe in any form of hinduism or god at all?

No, osho did not believe in God per say and definitely not in any religion. He for sure did not believe in hinduism, he was raised as in a Jain family but spoke a lot about hinduism even on Upanishads and Vedanta in general.

Some of his earlier discourses definitely show that he kind of believed in God or at least had respect for it even for Jesus but later discourses show that he changed his opinion and showed no respect especially towards Christian idea of God. This is how I got attracted to his discourses because I was looking for sources that will approve my opinion that Christian God idea is completely illogical.

Believer
28 June 2012, 09:31 AM
Namaste,

My take on OSHO is not favorable ......
Was initially interested but the deeper I dug, the more it didn't "feel" right. Especially when it comes to his belief in God and sex.
+1

As a young man, I was impressed with his piercing ability to simplify some of the philosophical concepts, but then a guru is as good as his personal behavior. I found his behavior with his followers to be that of a 'creep'. So, yes, I would read some of his stuff, but with a critical eye, and never ever think of him as a yogi. In Hinduism, a person fixated on sex can never be successful in raising his consciousness. And a person with a head full of philosophical knowledge, but without practicing any of it, is down to the level of a common man - no less, no more. Reading the expose' from one of his ex-devotees about the inner workings of his empire would be enough to turn any sane person away from this 'godman'. Nevertheless, some of his thoughts are brilliant, even though they have to be separated from the person they came from. So, I would take the good that God sent through him, without considering him personally to be the source of any of it, or having any reverence for him.

Pranam.

Twilightdance
28 June 2012, 10:56 AM
Everybody will believe what he/she wants to and can find some "reasons" to justify it. Core of Osho's teaching particularly w.r.t God, religion and what it means to be spiritual are hard to argue against, so people find problems with his behavior. I don't believe Osho was a spotless saint and more than anything like most other he perhaps did more damage to good to his students.

But here is another tit bit that might miss the eye.

O goddess, listen, I am going to tell you this mystic tradition in its entirety. If the eyes are fixed without blinking, kaivalya will occur immediately.

-VBh113

... and Osho almost never blinked. On the other hand someone always high on nitrous oxide probably never will. ;)