PDA

View Full Version : Painting Devi and Deva in Oil colours

ShivaFan
27 June 2012, 08:04 PM
Namaste,

Many of you have hobbies, and I find among my Hindu friends that these hobbies often come into some direct or indirect relation to Sanatana Dharma, Hinduism, Bhakti or other forms of yoga, and such.

Even in the realm of games for example, I have had Hindu friends who love Chess which is a board game and in which they have explained how this game is very ancient and played in India for eons, including by Devas such as Krishna and others. It is amazing how once ones life becomes a life of Hindu World and Universe, even hobbies become linked.

I enjoy oil painting, and I know that Desi Hindus often paint God in Oil colours, but for Westerners who are Hindus I humbily request them to please, please, turn you heart and soul to Deva (especially if you practice Bhakti Yoga like me) and paint wonderful oils of the Devas!

Now I have decided that I will start my first project in oils, a painting of Mother Annapurna with Shiva begging alms. Originally I was thinking to paint Kali, which would be a wonderful art work and I hope others take it upon themselves, but something is driving me strongly to first paint the Mother which I am devoted so much too, and that is Parvati in the form of Annapurna.

Has anyone else considered such loving endevour? I hope so, and I hope you put all your heart into it, all love, the power will certainly come through in your art and love for Deva or Devi. Seek out the magical wonders of artists from India which you can use to conceive of your endevour. There is no rush! Make it a masterwork! So that Westerners can also share the image of God to the world!

Shanti29
29 June 2012, 10:17 AM
I've been thinking about painting too. I just need to save some money for the supplies and stop procrastinating. As a student, I've always used acrylic paint as it is quick drying, I have no experience with oil.

ShivaFan
01 July 2012, 12:07 AM
Whatever medium you use, if you creat your art for Deva or Devi with love, Bhakti and contemplation, then the presence of the Lord will be there and those who view it can be in the presence of The Lord.

Om Namah Sivaya

Jodhaa
22 August 2012, 08:22 PM
I have painted Sri Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha - not in oils but in vivid watercolor and gouache. I shall post pictures soon! I would love to see devotional artwork from other members on the forum!

Om Shanti!

Jodhaa
22 August 2012, 08:37 PM
Below are some of my paintings. I hope you like them.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-886uPd2D1Ek/T9YhueO6SNI/AAAAAAAAAwI/1zdw4a4P0Jc/s1600/Lakshmi_Final+painting1SMALL.jpg
Sri Lakshmi

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XtjdJEie0D0/T-YgHoo3SoI/AAAAAAAAAwk/NSXr8l7lJLw/s1600/Ganesha_Final+paintingSMALL.jpg

Lord Ganesha

I know they are not done in a classical style, but I feel that the vibrancy and energy are right :)

Om Shanti!

Viraja
23 August 2012, 05:51 AM
Oh Jodhaa, those paintings are just BEAUTIFUL! I envy you... I'm a 'sketcher' good at reproducing artwork when I see them, but I cannot do something on my own or paint. You have such a gift! Keep it up!

Jodhaa
23 August 2012, 06:36 AM
Oh Jodhaa, those paintings are just BEAUTIFUL! I envy you... I'm a 'sketcher' good at reproducing artwork when I see them, but I cannot do something on my own or paint. You have such a gift! Keep it up!

Thank you Aspirant!

I try to give thanks everyday for my ability to work with my hands! It helps me express myself in ways where words fail. Don't feel too badly about being a "sketcher" , We all have skills and some of our best qualities aren't so obvious sometimes.

Peace.

Arjuni
23 August 2012, 07:48 AM
Namasté,

These are very beautiful, Jodhaa. The colours, the energy, the vibrance are just so appealing. If I knew nothing about Hindu Devas, I would want to find out more after seeing them. You certainly do have a tremendous talent!

In response to ShivaFan's original query on this thread, I doubt the Devas are best represented by stick figures, so I avoid drawing them. ;)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jodhaa
23 August 2012, 08:54 AM
Namasté,

These are very beautiful, Jodhaa. The colours, the energy, the vibrance are just so appealing. If I knew nothing about Hindu Devas, I would want to find out more after seeing them. You certainly do have a tremendous talent!

In response to ShivaFan's original query on this thread, I doubt the Devas are best represented by stick figures, so I avoid drawing them. ;)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thank you Indraneela! You are making me blush. One of my aims when I first painted them was just to make sure I got the symbolism right! I'm happy that they speak to you!

As for your stick figures...God is without attributes! (ultimately) and also possesses all attributes. Stick figure-ness must be one of them. Simply add more stick arms.;) At the very least, they will make God smile, and what greater achievement could there be?

Peace.