PDA

View Full Version : Dashanami and the Walking Shiva of Kashi

ShivaFan
30 June 2012, 03:20 AM
There are routes, pathways and foot trails that are crossways travelled upon by certain classes of mystics and advanced yogis for thousands of years, for eons. These foot trails often begin from remote jungles or from the Himalayas and other remote territory and are traveled upon by such siddhis and yogis to various holy tirthas, to special places of meditation, to a sacred object, or to assemblages of such yogis and ascetics who gather on given dates known and passed on by their sacred order, who have undertaken and accepted knowledge from the discipllic succession of various renounced orders, the knowledge of when assemblages are held, the knowledge of the foot paths, the knowledge of renunciation, of yoga, of mystic powers and direct union with Deva passed on from one saint down to disciples who undertake the vows of the order.

Such true yogis and ascetics may come suddenly to a particular town or city inhabited by populations of laypeople for particular reasons known to the order, for purposes of seva or worship, for purposes of a special meeting which may happen only once every few years, or even once very hundreds of years. They come to tirthas.

Many come, and have come, to Varanasi known as Kashi.

One such order is the Dashanami or the order (Sampradaya) of the “Ten Names” sannyasis, wandering ascetic yogis who carry a single staff and which is a Shaiva Order.

There is one such great yogi named Mahātmā Trailiṅgasvāmī, known to the West as Trailinga Swami, who came to Varanasi in the year 1737 and remained living there as an renounced yogi and ascetic for the rest of his life until 1887, thus living for 150 years in Kashi alone, though his actual full life span was longer since prior to his monastic days he was known as Shivarama of Holia, the son of devote Saiva parents.

If you have time this weekend, I would like to ask you to take some time to discover some of the amazing historical accounts of this great yogi, who during his time at Kashi was to become quite well known (and hated by some British authorities, loved by other Westerners, who was approached by many well known Gurus) but spoke very seldom, was recluse, but could not avoid notice and fame, not only for the longevity of his life but because of the obvious, startling, siddhi powers and his amazing life.

In Kashi, you may find many yogis – and so-called ascetics, both actual and those who are simply making a living or are out and out fakes. Believe me, having been to Kashi, I know.

But I also know there are those who are very real indeed. Who are not simply sitting around smoking ganja and trying to pawn some fake object for profit to stupid Westerners, or are nothing more than beggars in disguise of an ascetic.

Among those who are the real thing, well, it may be difficult for some to understand, especially for Westerners. Some, as was the case with this great saint, they are “sky-clad” (naked).

There is a book which documents his life by Dr. V. V. B. Rama Rao – I have not read it. There are many references to this Saint in the biographies of various yogis and gurus who met him. There is content on the internet. I invite you to take time if you are not yet familiar with this story, this amazing piece of Indian History, this weekend would be beneficial for you.

In Kashi, there is a murthi or statue of him. But, in truth, though he was famous, considering his reclusiveness, his renunciation, what things he did speak of even if seldom heard though often sought by others, I doubt he would approve if he were alive today. But I am not going to judge others in this regard.

After his parents passed from the material world, Shivaram wandered about, here and there, having always been a devout Saiva, he sought the spiritual path since a child, and he sought a guru. His guru was named Yogi Rattananda Saraswati. He took the vow of sannyasin, and was given the name Ganapati Saraswati. His guru left the world very soon after.
He went about India and Nepal. He became known as Trailinga Swami.
He arrived in Kashi eventually, and his wandering stopped. He remained there for 150 years until he died on December 26, 1887. I will not tell you all the things he did, I invite you to discover for yourself.

There is a biography by one of his disciples named Umacharan Mukhopadhyav. His teaching was simply that attachment to the world is bondage, and that liberation is to become unattached to the world and absorbed in God. That the material world can also be transported and transformed into heaven simply by leaving all desires.

He was not only a large man in soul, but in physical form during his time in Kashi he was rather obese – he reached the weight of over 300 pounds during the last years. He performed many, many, unexplained and amazing life moments, and he definitely was in possession of amazing spiritual, mystical powers over material elements. So, keep this in mind. Even today, there is his shadow that still lives and can change things even if just a tilt of the world one way or the other.