PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day

satay
02 July 2012, 12:50 AM
To fellow Canucks, hope you had a great Canada day!

Eastern Mind
02 July 2012, 07:23 AM
Vannakkam Satay: Yes, celebrated it with the kumbabhishekham Day 1. Last night the priests did the 'setting the temple boundaries' puja where they did pujas in 8 directions, and set Bhairava as the guardian. In essence this one keeps the lower forces outside, and the higher forces inside. Nice to have 7 or 8 priests, live musicians again.

We have a brand new gold-plated kodimaram (flag pole) as well.

But yes, happy Canada Day too.:)

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
02 July 2012, 10:55 AM
Namasté,

Happy Canada Day to y'all, too. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
04 July 2012, 03:01 PM
Vannakkam: Today is Day 4 of the kumbabhishekham here. The weather, (not surprisingly ... energies are swirling) is bitter cold for July and the winds last night were gusting to 80 k so the yagasala tents all got wiped out. As a consequence, the yagasala was moved inside. Although I didn't go this morning, I guess the smoke was something else. (Boss gave her report) There were 4 homas going simultaneously, and you couldn't see the far end of the temple. Still the main chanting priest battled on and sang his beautiful slokas. The tent renters came and picked up the remnants of the tent.

This is all a good thin, as this temple needs the purification. Esoterically its switching sampradayas, so little wonder it gets exciting. Day 5 (tomorrow) will be a very interesting day.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
04 July 2012, 07:27 PM
Namasté,

Four...homas...simultaneously?!

:faints:

Seriously wishing I had vacation time and money. Wow.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
04 July 2012, 10:42 PM
Vannakkam Indra ... sorry, it was 5 actually. One for each of the main enshriened deities here. Kumbhabhishekham's are very large pujas.

Tonight part of it was sanctifying a single pot, the one used to purify the deities after members of the public were allowed to enter sanctums and oil the deities. Since the 'impurity' chances are high, this water gets really sanctified. While 4 priests sat round the kumbha pot with the energizing grass, another chanted Vedic purification mantras. This lasted for an hour. I didn't once see any of the five priests take their eyes off the kumbha, and the chanting priest did it all from memory.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
05 July 2012, 08:07 AM
Vannakkam: I would have to take a notebook along, and watch and ask so much in order to get all the intricacies. There are things like the correct colored strings on the pots, different for each deity, tons of sacred substances in each pot, different yantra designs in the right colors placed here and there (like for the 8 directions outside) One priest is particularly good at making them (colored rice flower) . This morning is the grand finale, a hydraulic is used to take the chief priest and Satguru to the very top to do the abhishekahm there. They installed the new gold plated kalasa there the other day by climbing up scaffolding.

I just watch in awe for the whole thing. The one main chanting priest has a water bottle beside him all the time, and he probably goes through 5 or 6 a day, and I'm guessing he chants for at least 5 hours total, perhaps more. Even the songs that the musicians (Thavil and nadesaram) play are specific to each new event as it rolls along.

Aum Namasivaya

Equinox
06 July 2012, 04:09 AM
Vannakkam EM, everyone,

Kumbhabishekams are so grand and involve many ceremonies and rituals. I've always thought of doing the same thing, taking a notebook and pen along to temples to note down the various minute details. There's just so many and I can't seem to remember all of them taking place before my eyes. And they also last a few days, I remember seeing the deities submerged in water before they're installed. It's all so complex and immaculate. I must sit down with a priest and compile the details soon. Thank you for the observations. :)

Eastern Mind
06 July 2012, 07:59 AM
Vannakkam EM, everyone,

Kumbhabishekams are so grand and involve many ceremonies and rituals. I've always thought of doing the same thing, taking a notebook and pen along to temples to note down the various minute details. There's just so many and I can't seem to remember all of them taking place before my eyes. And they also last a few days, I remember seeing the deities submerged in water before they're installed. It's all so complex and immaculate. I must sit down with a priest and compile the details soon. Thank you for the observations. :)

Vannakkam: As far as I know, the water immersion is only done on the very first one, the Maha kumbhabhisekham. It was done here 12 years back, but for this time, they didn't do it. Yesterday started with the abhishekham on the very top , then each kastha on each shrine, and finally, all the enshrined murthis, simultaneously. Not only are the priests good chanters, but they are also great climbers. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Equinox
06 July 2012, 09:49 AM
Vannakkam: As far as I know, the water immersion is only done on the very first one, the Maha kumbhabhisekham. It was done here 12 years back, but for this time, they didn't do it.

Oh no wonder. I think the temple had a new deity to be installed, besides being newly renovated, thus the immersion, though its a very old temple.

Not only are the priests good chanters, but they are also great climbers.

Haha, yes indeed! I did notice them climbing with large 'kudams' on their heads or shoulders. Imagine climbing so high while balancing a heavy 'kudam' on the head or shoulder. It's not exactly an easy thing to do, since some of them are quite old. But they do have assistants to hold and support them.

Eastern Mind
06 July 2012, 10:01 AM
Vannakkam: The chief priest and Satguru were taken up to the top in a power hoist ... new technology, but the other priests scaled the metal scaffolding. In the old days (and in India still) they used bamboo scaffolding completely, and the kumbha pot were passed up by hand, or as you say carried on the head by one priest. In India I say the bamboo scaffolding outside of the Madurai Meenakshi huge gopurams. Just that bamboo scaffolding itself must be a marvel of design. There is certainly no fear of height, and all our safety construction ideas like hard hats and steel toed boots go out the wayside. Can't imagine what some safety inspector may have thought. :)

Aum Namasivaya

ShivaFan
10 July 2012, 09:22 PM
Did you know there is a mantra which mentions Canada in it?

It comes from an obscure scripture, and is in the language of the Kanadakis, but it might be of interest on this fine Canada Day. Here it is in Kanadakis praising the land of Canada:

ASVINS SORA ATA VAYU SOMA RANGA SURMA DARI!
KANNADA! HEY KANNADA! BIJA LOKA DAM HOCKEY MAS!
BIL JO BALA BRAHVIN PITRAG NEY KAL-GARI!
KANADAKIS CHALO! MERA STAN MERU HALACHALO CHALO BAS!

Actually I have some some study of the language of the Kanadakis, and I think my translation below is accurate:

Oh ye Mighty Ashvins! Take me to the far away place on your streams of brew!
Oh Canada! Oh Canada! Where is found the land of sacred ho-key!
Now we yoke the might bull, who charges forth in Calgary!
And the Canada-kis Roam! And the Land of Snow Moves and Moves, Enough!

There is a great book you should read by Will Ferguson, “Why I Hate Canadians”. It’s very funny actually. It includes Chapters such as “Death by Niceness”. So actually, not only is it funny, but spot on truth.

Actually, I have several relatives who live in Canada (Vancouver, BC), and that is the absolute truth (got 'em in UK, Australia, India, too!) So I go to Canada often, not just BC but Calgary as well (and yes, Montreal … ok, ok, yes also Banff and, well you get it).

But I love the Metropolis of Vancouver, but I did get in one big bad scene at a Canucks Hockey game in the stadium (Roger’s Arena). It all started when I told some guy sitting next to me, “Did you know that chess was invented in India?” – the guy gave me sort of a blank, drunken look. I cleared my throat. Then I told him, “Yes, that’s right – from India the game of chess originated thousands if not more years ago… (pause) … you know, I'm from the United States actually … (pause – the guy’s mouth is now hanging open) … and, I have always been told that Canadians are NICE. Like, niceness is their main quality.”

“So, you know what? Since you are listening, did you know that the game of Hockey was also created in India? …(the guy is now getting that look, if you know what I mean) … Yes, it’s true! You see, there is a great one named Brahma, and He created all the things you see on this place. He is the Great Creator … (pause … the guy is now putting his beer down in front of his seat, he’s looking me down while at the same moment tapping the shoulder of some 250 pound Gorilla sitting next to him) … And, as the Great Creator, He created Hockey. And Brahma, well His home away from home is in India, so it’s ok to call Him an Indian if you know what I mean. And since He created all this, well – he created Hockey too!” …

Two guys now are grabbing my collar, and …. Well nevermind. The point is, don’t always believe what you are told. Not ALL Canadians are NICE!

I will hand in my resignation shortly and forever be banned.

OM NAMAH SIVAYA

Equinox
11 July 2012, 12:29 AM
Vannakkam,

Eastern Mind: I wish they re-introduce bamboo scaffolding into developed countries too. Would be nice to do it the traditional way.

But the safety part is definitely a gamble, unless they consider having safety nets at the bottom. :D

ShivaFan : Did you really say those stuff? I mean seriously, to a stranger? :laugh:

Aum Namah Shivaya

ShivaFan
11 July 2012, 12:54 AM
I made the whole thing up Mr E.
By the way, I Love Canadians

Eastern Mind
11 July 2012, 07:36 AM
Vannakkam: I used to get Kannada and Canada mixed up occasionally. I discovered that knowers of each word would pronounce the other word as per their own word. So when I was in India, and told people I was from Canada, they'd correct me, using Kannada. The driver I hired spoke Kannada, and that's when I got it straightened out. Silly little mispronunciation stories, we all have them. The town near here named Mundare, and Mandir had myself and another person all confused one day too.

Clerk: "You came from Mandir?" (I was wearing forehead marks.)
Me: "No, I live here in Edmonton, I'm not from Mundare."
Clerk: gives man blank stare of bewilderment

Or ... "You're from Canada, you speak Kannada?"
"No I speak English, but we call it Canadian English."

Aum Namasivaya