PDA

View Full Version : Sickness following meditation

BloodyRose3000
02 July 2012, 12:48 PM
I don't know if I'm the only person that has experienced this, or what exactly causes it, but sometimes when I meditate (whether it be for 10 mins or an hour), once I stop and start going back into regular consciousness, I end up feeling very nauseous and dizzy - kind of like I overworked my mind or bent it, and as a result its spinning. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it often lasts the whole day until I fall asleep. Has anyone else experienced this, and if they have are there ways to go about meditation where one can elude those side effects?

dhyandev
04 July 2012, 02:21 AM
1.It can happen when a new sadhak in his enthusiasm over dos various technique.Try eating almond as it would provide nutrition to the brain.
2.Another reason can be that the kundalini energy rises/climbs up & accumulates in your crown chakras(agya & sahsrara).When done under guidance of a able guru these things can be channelized.An easy way out is start eating rajsic;tamsic foods like onions ,garlic.these food items bring the kundalini energy levels to the lower chakras(hence avoided many a times by people who are higher up in meditation & spiritual paths)

BloodyRose3000
04 July 2012, 11:38 AM
Oh wow, this is fascinating, I thought I was just crazy LOL. I'll try to do that :).

Amrut
12 July 2012, 01:56 AM
I don't know if I'm the only person that has experienced this, or what exactly causes it, but sometimes when I meditate (whether it be for 10 mins or an hour), once I stop and start going back into regular consciousness, I end up feeling very nauseous and dizzy - kind of like I overworked my mind or bent it, and as a result its spinning. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it often lasts the whole day until I fall asleep. Has anyone else experienced this, and if they have are there ways to go about meditation where one can elude those side effects?

when you stop your meditation, your mind should be at peace. If it is agitated then this might happen.

Always try to stop meditation when your mind is calm as the same state will (generally) continue whole day.

If your mind is not at peace or very agitated and you cannot further meditate anymore then you quit meditation, leave the premises and then try to read any spiritual book or listen to devotional songs or listen to any discourses if you have a DVD / CD / MP3

This will help you a lot

What Dhyandev says is also correct, but this should help you.

After the mind calm down, if possible, try to meditate for 10 mins, if not leave it on that day. Take a break.

EDIT:

Generally during these days, meditation should be replaced by listening devotional music / discourses. These activities should be increased throughout the day.

It happens when your mind is not strong enough to throw thoughts, so it's stuck up. some people listen to the mantra i.e. play CD
see what works for you.

Again, do you pray before starting meditation. It is very important. Prayer and surrender help a lot to neutralize mind.

Aum

IS

Amrut
12 July 2012, 02:04 AM
@BloodyRose3000

Please inform what type of meditation you do.

Bhakti / Karma / Yog / Advaita

So that explanation suitable to your path can be given.

Namaste

Eastern Mind
12 July 2012, 07:02 AM
Vannakkam: An analogy for a good meditation might be how a track athlete does a warm up and cool down for a race. The elite 100 m athletes might take 3 hours, yet the race is just 10 seconds. First they do a half hour light jog, then incredible stretch, then faster bursts of running but not full out, then the race, then a cool down jog. So meditation is a process of going in and in , and then the reverse, coming out, and out, slowly, like one long breath, with no sudden jerks.

Just some crazy idea.

Aum Namasivaya

Giza
20 July 2012, 12:27 AM

What form of meditation are you practicing?

BloodyRose3000
21 July 2012, 03:53 PM
@BloodyRose3000

Please inform what type of meditation you do.

Bhakti / Karma / Yog / Advaita

So that explanation suitable to your path can be given.

Namaste
Hi

Umm, I think it would be considered Bhakti? Basically I just try to focus on God's love. I don't really have a set practice, to be honest. Sometimes I'll listen to music and think about God, sometimes I'll just tr to clear my mind completely and focus on nothing, sometimes I'll try to focus on the silence and the unity of everything. I actually stopped getting the sickness that I used o get (although I haven't meditated much in the last few weeks as I had a lot happening in my life and the thought escaped my mind for a while). I think the problem was that I used to focus on the visuals I would see when I closed my eyes, and somehow I was straining my mind by doing that.

As far as the question "what kind of meditation am I doing," I don't really know how to answer that. Would what I described be Bhakti?

Thank you

Amrut
23 July 2012, 01:32 AM
@BloodyRose3000

Don't you chant any mantra?

I have not heard of this type of meditation.

Karma (Action)
Serving humanity, saints, nature, etc by thinking that by serving them you serve God inside them or by serving God's creation, I am serving God

Bhakti + Karma: Visiting Holy places, pilgrims like walking to Vaishnodevi or going to Kailash Mansarovar, Char Dham. Though this can be called bhakti, but it is not pure bhakti, but bhakti influenced by Karma

He this 5 senses as friends. Let my hands clap when Gods name is chanted or do aarti, or distribute prasad, let my feet always do pradakshina of temples and holy mountains / places. Let my eyes see my God in everyone, Let me feel God everywhere

Pure Bhakti (Devotion)
Chanting Gods name and leaving this world for God. Sine God is inside everyone nad is all powerful, God can take care of his creation. Let me by just one with God, let me just chant God's name. The goal is to have divine vision of God (and or merge in him), be at his lotus feet.

So serving humanity is not of much importance.

Jnana (Knowledge)

Neti - Neti (i.e. not this, not this - i am not body, I am not mind, etc) Self Enquiry - asking 'Who Am I' or chanting OM, with the only Goal of Moksha.

A Sadhaka of Jnana marg does not treat his 5 senses as friends, but as his enemies. He considers them as poison and thinks of his relatives and near ones are poisonous snakes. Better stay away from them. He even is not concerned about his own body and tries to detach from it and everything that is not Atman.

So I do not know where to categorize what you are doing. This type of thing is also done is natural hypnosis or to focus on nothing is like a power nap.

Better follow a traditional path. Though initially it will be tough, later on things will become less rough and then you will start enjoying it, just like a person learning gets tired by swimming for a short period of time, but later he swims to get fresh, to remove tiredness. Meditation will become your strength to eliminate fatigue and you will end your meditation with a smile :)

Aum

realdemigod
11 August 2012, 12:12 PM
BloodyRose,
I'm back after a short 3-day Vipassana meditation course and now I caught chilled fever. I don't know if this is because of meditation..but today during the final discourse I experienced sudden dip in room temperatue at the facility and even outside the weather was very bad (chilled). I would like to believe that this chilled breeze gave me my fever but again unless your body becomes weak you won't get any fever or cold..so it could be due to meditation also.. will update my experiences time and again :D