PDA

View Full Version : Bhagavad Gita for those with just a basic understanding of Hinduism

BloodyRose3000
06 July 2012, 04:13 PM
In trying to learn more about the religion, I've read though bits of it here and there and found (somewhat surprisingly, I'll admit) to find a great deal of wisdom in it and relatively easy to read. Is this something you would recommend for someone just getting into the religion tho? Certainly, if someone non Christian came to me and said that they were reading, say the book of Wisdom, or one of Paul's letters, I'd recommend something more basic and straightforward first (like the gospel according to Mark, which was written for non jews as opposed to something like Matthew, which requires a lot insight into their culture). I don't know much about Hindu scriptures tho, so I would need some advise on how to go about studying such a thing.

Jainarayan
06 July 2012, 05:15 PM
To Vaishnavas it's probably the paramount scripture. Not so much, if at all to Shaivas and Shaktas.

Here is a very easy on-line rendering by Swami Tapasyananda. I have two print versions of this, one is a pocket version.

http://scriptures.ru/bh_g_eng.htm

There is a condensed version from Swami Sivananda http://www.dlshq.org/download/gita_busy.pdf and http://www.dlshq.org/download/gita_busy.htm that will give a summary of the chapters. You could read the Gita from beginning to end, or skip around. I think it's probably better to go from beginning to end, because the teachings build.

Another good translation with commentaries is one by Eknath Easwaran. Personally I don't care for Srila Prabhupada's commentaries, because I think they are too narrow an interpretation. Though I like some of his verse phrasing.

BloodyRose3000
06 July 2012, 05:56 PM
So you would recommend reading this Hindu text before, say, another scripture? Also, should I try reading it a certain way (as in , should I look for the symbolism/allegorical elements etc rather than the literal, etc)?

Jainarayan
06 July 2012, 07:25 PM
I've seen people recommend reading the Upanishads first, but I found that difficult. I think the commentaries on the verses are a big help, though I don't think all the commentaries need to be read; I really don't find anything highly symbolic or allegorical.

Further, from my p.o.v., consider that the Bhagavad Gita was a very short, relatively speaking. The Mahabharata is 100,000 verses, the B.G. is about 700+ verses. It was a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna before the armies engaged in war. Imo, Krishna was getting to the point as effciently as possible.

This is all just my experience.

BloodyRose3000
06 July 2012, 10:07 PM
I've seen people recommend reading the Upanishads first, but I found that difficult. I think the commentaries on the verses are a big help, though I don't think all the commentaries need to be read; I really don't find anything highly symbolic or allegorical.

Further, from my p.o.v., consider that the Bhagavad Gita was a very short, relatively speaking. The Mahabharata is 100,000 verses, the B.G. is about 700+ verses. It was a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna before the armies engaged in war. Imo, Krishna was getting to the point as effciently as possible.

This is all just my experience.

Not symbolic? From what I've read about it, I was lead to believe that a great deal of it was allegorical. For instance, when the prince was asking why he had to fight in war when he didn't like violence, and Krishna basically said that he had to do it because it was a part of his dharma as a soldier, I was lead to believe that that was an allegory for multiple things. For instance, Gandhi said it was "an allegory in which the battlefield is the soul and Arjuna, man's higher impulses struggling against evil."

I don't know if there would be much else potentially symbolic tho. I suppose if I had a copy with a commentary, that would explain more about that there.

devotee
07 July 2012, 07:47 AM
Namaste BR,

Not symbolic? From what I've read about it, I was lead to believe that a great deal of it was allegorical. For instance, when the prince was asking why he had to fight in war when he didn't like violence, and Krishna basically said that he had to do it because it was a part of his dharma as a soldier, I was lead to believe that that was an allegory for multiple things. For instance, Gandhi said it was "an allegory in which the battlefield is the soul and Arjuna, man's higher impulses struggling against evil."

I don't know if there would be much else potentially symbolic tho. I suppose if I had a copy with a commentary, that would explain more about that there.

Bhagwad Gita has meaning at various levels. Advaitic Gurus have given Advaitic interpretation of Bhagwad Gita wherein the war, the characters described are all symbolic. As per that interpretation, the MahAbhArata War is a constant war going on within this universe ... it is war that Jeeva (the individualised self) has to win to realise its true nature.

However, Bhagwad Gita's literal meaning is not less profound. It emphasizes upon Karma Yoga and also talks of Bhakti Yoga and JnAna yoga. It removes a lot of doubts on what to do and what not when faced a dilemma.

Understanding the real message of Bhagwad Gita is not possible without studying Upanishads carefully. So, imho, study of Bhagwad Gita and Upanishads should go hand in hand.

OM

Spiritualseeker
07 July 2012, 09:14 AM
Namaste,

Nice explanation Devotee.

I recommend reading or listening to the audio book version of The Bhagavad Gita according to Paramhansa Yogananda. He goes into the many details of the scripture, but presents it in a way people can understand.

Om Namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
07 July 2012, 10:47 AM
Namaste.

Understanding the real message of Bhagwad Gita is not possible without studying Upanishads carefully. So, imho, study of Bhagwad Gita and Upanishads should go hand in hand.

OM

See, always something to learn. ;) What I think I'll do is open Eknath's Upanishads and read along with his commentated Bhagavad Gita, both of which I have on my shelf. Eknath's Upanishads have a chapter introduction/summary at the beginning of each. I also have his uncommentated Bhagavad Gita. I've briefly thumbed through Eknath's Upanishads and found the writing clearer than Mascaron's. I think Mascaron's version is what scared me off.

Namaste,

I recommend reading or listening to the audio book version of The Bhagavad Gita according to Paramhansa Yogananda. He goes into the many details of the scripture, but presents it in a way people can understand.

Om Namah Shivaya

If that is the one I'm thinking of, it's the Essence of the Bhagavad Gita. He distilled the Gita and re-compiled it as the heart of it. I like Paramahansa Yogananda's style of writing. I'm reading Autobiography of a Yogi.

Vasa
19 July 2012, 07:48 PM
Namaste,

Om Namah Shivaya

If it's the 1000+ page one, I have it checked out from the local SRF center and can also recommend it, though I am unsure whether Yoganandaji's views and interpretation is accepted by many of the schools. It makes perfect sense to me how he has explained it but I kind of wish I had read BG without commentary first.

dogra
26 September 2012, 02:32 AM
These you tube vidoes go through the verses and are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQEPW6qug0o

R Gitananda
26 September 2012, 03:14 PM
Hello BloodyRose3000

I don't recommend you start with the Bhagavad Gita. The speaker of the Gita itself told Arjuna that it is for the advanced.
I recommend you start with Valmiki's Ramayana. This will give you an understanding of righteousness, chastity, worship,
Dharma and avatara. All these are important parts of Sanatana Dharma. While you are reading you can talk to different
Hindus at Temple and ask them their opinions about the parts that stand out to you.

Specifically, I recommend a beautiful work by Krishna Dharma entitled Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love and Wisdom (http://www.amazon.com/Ramayana-Indias-Immortal-Adventure-Wisdom/dp/1887089225)
It is a big, beautiful and inspired work of art which captures the raw emotions of this epic without any of the dryness of the version
by the State University of New York. Although the bound versions are a little pricy you can buy one used or purchase
the paperless (Kindle) edition (http://www.amazon.com/Ramayana-ebook/dp/B004IATA72/ref=tmm_kin_title_0) which can be read without an E-Reader either directly on your computer
(after downloading free software) or online.

Hari Aum

ShivaFan
26 September 2012, 11:42 PM
Namaste R Gitananda!

This is why I love the HDF! The treasures yet to be experience and then a gemstone is found! (RG " Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love and Wisdom by Krishna Dharma (http://www.amazon.com/Krishna-Dharma/e/B001K7LO48/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1)) - I am going to absolutely order this book, which I was not aware of until you shared this with us. From what I have already read about it on the internet, it is indeed a beautiful work, and I am very excited to get my hands on it.

Here is something on the background of the author named Krishna Dharma:

http://www.amazon.com/Krishna-Dharma/e/B001K7LO48/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1/183-9662799-3976712

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51v2lsxkONL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Om Namah Sivaya

R Gitananda
27 September 2012, 01:33 AM
Namaste ShivaFan

I am looking forward to hearing about how you enjoyed the book here on HDF!

Hari Aum

dhyandev
27 September 2012, 08:03 AM
actually bhagwad gita is the spring board for a dive in sanatan spirituality
Start reading bhagwat gita as it is the first step in spiritual staircase.It will tell u about the sanatan dharma philosophy & will also help increase ur knowledge of the subtle world.
First read it just like a normal book,because there is a remote chance that u will have devotee mind in sanatan dharma so early.On the second reading u will have a devote intellect as there are concepts which can only be understood when u have full devotion.
Read Indian translators.Iskcon version is good .Avoid indologists

http://www.gitapress.org/BOOKS/GITA/...Gita_Roman.pdf (http://www.gitapress.org/BOOKS/GITA/455/455_Gita_Roman.pdf)

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/

dhyandev
27 September 2012, 08:08 AM
Hello BloodyRose3000

I don't recommend you start with the Bhagavad Gita. The speaker of the Gita itself told Arjuna that it is for the advanced.

I recommend the exact opposite

shiv.somashekhar
27 September 2012, 05:49 PM
I must point out that Hinduism is not a scripture based religion as commonly found in the West. This concept is hard to understand for people who have not lived in India for a significant time.

Most Hindus, follow their religion as a matter of tradition that they inherit from their parents. They worship Ganesh, Laxmi, Tirupathi Venkatesh, etc., and mainly for material benefits, such as doing well in a test or a better car, health and wealth. They visit temples, worship photo frames of Gods at home and celebrate festivals. There is no scripture that teaches any of this and none is required.

In contrast, Westerners find it necessary for a religion to have a central holy book, which forms the basis of the religion. If not, they are lost and do not understand how such a religion would work. For this reason, when Indian saints took the religion to the west, they talked about scripture such as the Veda and the Gita (which are mainly specific to Vedanta philosophy) and thereby created a false picture that all of Hinduism is derived from these scriptures. The difference between philosophy and religion was blurred in the attempt to simply the complexity of Hinduism and model it per Semitic religions.

The Gita particularly is a Vaishnava, philosophical text and I would disagree that it teaches Hinduism. That is not its purpose. Neither do the Vedas.

Regards