PDA

View Full Version : friend or god

kundanghanekar
07 July 2012, 11:07 AM
Hi, om namah shivaya. I have 1 question which arise in my mind, that, is shiva is my friend or my father? How can a god become ur friend. You all know a friend is one who cares u,loves u,and listens to u. In my view,these are the qualities that a friend have. And these all are in my shiva.

wundermonk
08 July 2012, 01:16 AM
How can a god become ur friend.

I do not see why not?:dunno:

Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend.

:cool1:

Shuddhasattva
08 July 2012, 01:42 AM
Namaste

Both Shaivism and Vaishnavism acknowledge sakha marga as one of several viable relationships.

c.smith
08 July 2012, 01:46 AM
Hari Om!

You post states "..is shiva is my friend or my father..". May I suggest that he is both. Your relationship will continue to flower as you make him a greater part of your day. One simple way to remember him is to simply talk to him as you would a father and a friend.

All the best to you.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

IcyCosmic
08 July 2012, 03:14 AM
I remember reading somewhere that you can have mutiple legitimate relationships with god, and I think the one where you are in complete unison with him is the most transcendental one. However, he is your father, friend, even son and lover if you wish to consider that - all at the same time or just one; depending on the individual at hand.

Eastern Mind
08 July 2012, 07:45 AM
Vannakkam: I see Siva in a few different ways. As Nataraja, He reminds me of a Father, but not in the biological sense, just the father of everything.
As Sivalingam, He reminds me that the core of my being, at the Lotus of the heart, the Self, is identical to Him.
As Ardhinarisvara, He/She reminds me That He is the essence of the entire universe of form.
As Dakshinamurthy, He is the greatest meditator ever.
But I rarely think of Him as a friend. But he did create/emanate the best friend I could ever have ... Lord Ganesha.

Aum Namasivaya

IcyCosmic
08 July 2012, 08:53 AM
Vannakkam: I see Siva in a few different ways. As Nataraja, He reminds me of a Father, but not in the biological sense, just the father of everything.
As Sivalingam, He reminds me that the core of my being, at the Lotus of the heart, the Self, is identical to Him.
As Ardhinarisvara, He/She reminds me That He is the essence of the entire universe of form.
As Dakshinamurthy, He is the greatest meditator ever.
But I rarely think of Him as a friend. But he did create/emanate the best friend I could ever have ... Lord Ganesha.

Aum Namasivaya

Why not as a friend?

Eastern Mind
08 July 2012, 09:08 AM
Why not as a friend?

Vannakkam: I don't know really. I often don't know why I feel the way I do about things. I just know I don't feel that way. :) I just see Siva as so much more than that. It's hard to be a friend with something that is just so awe-inspiring for me. Imagine the most beautiful sunset in the world, or eyes that are incredibly piercing, or a King. Are you friends with a King, or a sunset?

When Ganesha absolutely and totally fills that role, (and trust me, I do have a pretty 'close' relationship with Ganesha) maybe I don't need that feeling. Of course in an ultimate sense, Ganesha is Siva too. Maybe that's it.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
08 July 2012, 09:10 AM
Hi, om namah shivaya. I have 1 question which arise in my mind, that, is shiva is my friend or my father? How can a god become ur friend. You all know a friend is one who cares u,loves u,and listens to u. In my view,these are the qualities that a friend have. And these all are in my shiva.

The Vedas say it:

Tvameva Mata cha Pita tvameva
Tvameva bandush cha sakha tvameva
Tvameva vidya dravinam tvameva
Tvameva sarvam mama deva deva

You are my mother and You are my father,
You are my relative and You are my friend,
You are my wisdom and You are my wealth,
You are my all, my Lord of Lords.

madhavpr
09 July 2012, 11:32 PM
Namaste all.

Even though I knew about Shiva since ages, I found him only a month ago. I must say that the journey of finding him was blissful. I think discovered should replace found.. But then, I really don't know what it means to discover or found when we're talking about God.

Let me tell you all how I view Vishnu..
1) Krishna- Brother, buddy, guru and best friend
2) Narasimha- The ultimate destroyer of enemies
3) Rama- More of a father figure than a buddy..

When it comes to Shiva, I find Him as the best lover ever. His love story with Parvati is as eternal and beautiful as Rama-Sita.. Dakshinamurthy might be that guru who's just watching me do whatever I am doing with life. He probably knows that I'll meditate on his form one day or the other. Nataraja is perhaps the most mysterious form of Shiva to understand, he creates when he dances and he dances almost all the time. His dance makes me think about life, the universe, the cosmos, physics and everything in general. :D Hmmm. I cannot fathom his mysterious ways.

I am yet to look for a relationship with Shiva. I don't know whether I'm fit enough to befriend him.. All I know is that Shiva-Parvati are my "cosmic" parents.. :)

Necromancer
21 January 2013, 01:33 AM
Namaste and pranams.

I would love to have $1 for every time I have heard this:

"What you are feeling isn't true Bhakti. It's only your own romanticized notion of God. You are only in love with love itself and need to go out, find a real man, get married and cure yourself of this unholy, unnatural obsession."

At first, this really used to annoy/upset me. I didn't know why it did if it wasn't true at all, so I decided to find out. During my next meditation, I decided to just bear my soul in prayer and ask Lord Shiva just what's going on here.

Yes, Lord Shiva is my lover and I often get physical sensations from that during worship (which really bothered me at first, but now I am used to it). He is my 'husband' and my best friend. That I cannot deny.

Am I in love with love itself? Oh my dear lord, that's most definitely a big YES there. Lord Shiva is everything to me, father, brother, guruji, man, woman, planet, universe, time...yeah, you get the point.

There's no way anybody can express what their relationship with Lord Shiva is....and when that relationship gets very intense, there's just no way...

Most of the time, Lord Shiva is either 'a friend that walks just behind me and whispers in my ear' or 'a flame deep within my heart during dhyan'.

Aum Namah Shivaya