PDA

View Full Version : Narada Bhakti Sutra - and questions on the "mercy of great souls"

BloodyRose3000
07 July 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi

Upon trying to understand what Bhakti is, I came upon this and found it to be quite amazing. I have a few questions however, in regards to this text. As I don't know much about Sanatana Dharma scriptures, I wanted to know what type of scripture this would be considered (ie: the bible obviously has divisions like the Torah and Gospels and Paul's letters etc). Also, how important is this book to people's faith. Is it something accepting by everyone or just a certain type of person or sect (?) in Sanatana Dharma?

Also, upon reading I came upon this:

NBS 38: Primarily, however, one develops bhakti by the mercy of great souls, or by a small drop of the Lord's mercy.

NBS 39: The association of great souls is rarely obtained, difficult to understand, and infallible.

NBS 40: The association of great souls can be attained -- but only by the Lord's mercy.

NBS 41: [One can attain bhakti either by the association of the Lord's pure devotees or directly by the Lord's mercy because] the Lord and His pure devotees are nondifferent.

NBS 42: Strive, strive only for the association of pure devotees.

What exactly are these "great souls", and what is their role in the religion? It sounds kind of like the Catholic concept of the saint (ie: great souls in heaven/"in Christ" that, through prayer/the power of can, can help intercede for you. Of course it's not necessary to go through them, as you can commune directly with God, but they're still another means to an end)

Thank you

smaranam
08 July 2012, 12:56 AM
I wanted to know what type of scripture this would be considered (ie: the bible obviously has divisions like the Torah and Gospels and Paul's letters etc). Also, how important is this book to people's faith. Is it something accepting by everyone or just a certain type of person or sect (?) in Sanatana Dharma?

Hare KRshNa

What sort of a book: You can call it a generic Bhakti primer written by Narad Muni for Bhakti, irrespective of sects.

How important: As important as you make it. It is sUtras i.e. aphorisms, sort of like
- Bhakti 101 or
"Top ten things to do for ..."
so it can be your pocket book. Lots of wise advice, statements and truths from Narad Muni who is 'The Supreme Lord, BhagvAn VAsudev's mind'.

That being said, it is strongly recommended by VaishNav groups, but other recommend it too , e.g. Shri Shri Ravi Shankar. I like one of their singers in particular - Vikram Harza. However, they are primarily Kriya Yogis not Bhakti Yogis.

Also, upon reading I came upon this:

NBS 38: Primarily, however, one develops bhakti by the mercy of great souls, or by a small drop of the Lord's mercy.

NBS 39: The association of great souls is rarely obtained, difficult to understand, and infallible.

NBS 40: The association of great souls can be attained -- but only by the Lord's mercy.

NBS 41: [One can attain bhakti either by the association of the Lord's pure devotees or directly by the Lord's mercy because] the Lord and His pure devotees are nondifferent.

NBS 42: Strive, strive only for the association of pure devotees.

What exactly are these "great souls", and what is their role in the religion?

These great souls are the pure devotees of the Lord, here in this world and beyond. Pure devotees are those who have transcended their material flaws and are constantly immersed in devotion to Bhagvan (the Lord).

The association of pure devotees is largely emphasized in Bhakti Yoga, and called 'sAdhu sanga' sanga = company, association. Another name is Satsanga.'

By their association, they bring positive changes, good habits and erradicate negative elements faster. A man is known by the company he keeps. Same applies here. The more we live with and serve pure devotees the more we acquire their qualities. The Guru is the primary pure devotee to be associated with and served.

shravaNa - hear about the Lord from pure devotees
kIrtana - chant sing Holy names and stories of / by the Lord with pure devotees

Om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

BloodyRose3000
11 July 2012, 10:39 AM
Hi

ooOo, thank you for clearing that up :).

Jainarayan
11 July 2012, 11:16 AM
Namaste.

The association of pure devotees is largely emphasized in Bhakti Yoga, and called 'sAdhu sanga' sanga = company, association. Another name is Satsanga.'

By their association, they bring positive changes, good habits and erradicate negative elements faster. A man is known by the company he keeps. Same applies here. The more we live with and serve pure devotees the more we acquire their qualities. The Guru is the primary pure devotee to be associated with and served.

shravaNa - hear about the Lord from pure devotees
kIrtana - chant sing Holy names and stories of / by the Lord with pure devotees

Om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

So then, this is yet another reason to attend temple as often as possible. Every day @ 6 pm we have the Sri Vishnu Sahasranama. Even if there is only one person, the priests chant it promptly. I understand maybe 10 words, and can't chant it for love or money, but I listen. In fact I've just listened to a recording of it.

I for one, know that when I leave temple after any kind of puja I feel elevated. Not only is it the energy of the Lord, but I think it's compounded and augmented by the "company you keep", i.e. the other devotees, as you alluded to.