PDA

View Full Version : Why is ISKCON forum not under Vaishnava?

ShivaIsLord
08 July 2012, 12:22 AM
Since ISKCON is a sect within Vaishnava, shouldn't ISKCON be grouped with Vaishnava instead of having it's own sub-forum, or at least be a sub-forum of Vaishnava?

There is probably a reason that it doesn't, but I'm just wondering.

wundermonk
08 July 2012, 12:54 AM
Hi SiL,

There may be few ISKCON followers on HDF who can better answer your question.

But from what I know, Prabhupada, himself is supposed to have stated that ISKCON and its philosophy should not be called Hinduism proper.

philosoraptor
08 July 2012, 09:51 AM
Personally, I think there are way too many subforums as it is, which makes it more cumbersome to navigate from one discussion to another. But, if there is going to be a separate ISKCON subforum, it makes sense it should be under the Vaishnava forum. Oh well....

smaranam
08 July 2012, 10:20 AM
But, if there is going to be a separate ISKCON subforum, it makes sense it should be under the Vaishnava forum. Oh well....
I agree and wondered about the same. How many times have i debated where to put the lovely Ashtakams - it tore my heart.

It also creates a misunderstanding that ISKCON has "cooked up" their own philosophy and very few know that they are Gaudiya VaishNavs, followers of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
and within that they are RupAnugas i.e. followers of / in the branch of Rupa Goswami (Rupa Manjari).

Other branches of GV are
- AdvaitAcharya branch (disciples)
- Nityananda Prabhu's disciples
- Janhavi ThakurANi's disciples.
some other ones that some GVs here may add to.

Hare KRshNa

Eastern Mind
08 July 2012, 11:20 AM
Vannakkam: I believe, but am not sure, that ISKCON is in a separate forum because it is so commonly discussed. Here in the west, it is practically THE Vaishnava community, except for the recent immigration ones like BAPS, or South Indian Vaishnavas who build Venkateswara and Balaji temples. . This forum does have a lot of westerners on it, and may not know of Vaishnava traditions other than ISKCON.

Regardless, I'm sure our forum designer(s) gave it some thought in the beginning. I certainly have no problem with it being separate, as it and it's proponents do tend to stand out.

But of course, if anyone has a problem with the organisation of a forum, they are welcome to go and start a new one. Apparently its not all that hard. Then you can organise all the forums and subforums, and categories any way you want to, and have yourself as chief moderator. Then if anyone disagrees with you, you can just ban them.

I commend Satay on excellent work.

Aum Namasivaya

philosoraptor
08 July 2012, 01:57 PM
I started an internet forum for myself once. However, I later had to ban myself for being too unruly.

smaranam
08 July 2012, 02:05 PM
I commend Satay on excellent work.

Aum Namasivaya
Vannakam

So do i. He and all moderators have really done a wonderful job of the forums. This is not a criticism.

I agree that ISKCON should have a seperate forum/folder but it belongs under VaishNav.

praNAm

ShivaFan
09 July 2012, 09:33 PM
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2KJkIXfi_tPtC4AmmGJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DPrabhupada%2Bstamp%26ei%3Dutf-8%26fr%3Daltavista%26fr2%3Dsfp%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=105&h=138&imgurl=webspace.webring.com%2Fpeople%2Fcr%2Fradhainathens%2Flinks_files%2Fprabhu_stamp.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwebspace.webring.com%2Fpeople%2Fcr%2Fradhainathens%2Fspeaks.html&size=8.7+KB&name=Prabhupada+on+a+postage+stamp+graphic+%2A&p=Prabhupada+stamp&oid=4a6bfaa33309a5115ad076cdd83e311f&fr2=sfp&fr=altavista&tt=Prabhupada%2Bon%2Ba%2Bpostage%2Bstamp%2Bgraphic%2B%252A&b=0&ni=64&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11vglv8mb&sigb=13e8sgom0&sigi=129ms57oe&.crumb=RpSj.9zVqO4

Namaste, I will explain the stamp in a minute. If the stamp above is displayed as a link, you can use the link to view the stamp.

But first, my personal and strong feeling on this is that ISKCON should have it's own folder, though my reasoning for this is nationalistic and US centric.

My feeling on this is because of the special importance of Prabhupada and ISKCON to American history. While many may have issues with ISKCON and it's particular orthodoxy and Gaudiya fundamentalism, there is no question that Prabhupada and ISKCON played a notable, significant role in bringing Hindism (even if Prabhupada objected to this term) to the United States of America.

Every American knows Hare Krishna, and even despite the love - hate relationship Americans have for "the Hare Krishnas", even those Americans who say they hate "the Krishnas" (outside of some crazy Christian evangelist types who actually do hate them and the competition), in their heart they know, and love them. Prabhupada and ISKCON are now part of our history and right there as part of our ethos, they are part of our culture in America and everyone knows Krishna and they know the Rathayatra of Jagannath.

Also, ISKCON is, without any disrespect to Vaishnava in general, really it's own religious bija because it isn't about Vishnu but rather Krishna even if Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu. Frankly, it is its own category and especially considering Jagannath who you cannot really say is exclusive to Vaishnava but is also Buddhist, Jain and others but I do not mean that in terms of sampradayas but in terms of all embracing no matter what caste you are or even mleecha you can come and take Prashadam and chant and it is both fundamental but universal at the same time.

I can also say from observation, that ISKCON is also important in Mother India. Kolkata is a second home for me, I can speak to the truth that ISKCON and Prabhupad is loved by large populations of Bengalis, including the devotees of Kali Ma. And I can say, having travelled to Vrindavan and Mathura to visit the holy temples there, that ISKCON is loved by notable numbers.

The Government of India released a series of stamps of very important persons to India. This series includes the stamp of Prabhupad. I think that speaks volumes right there.

My argument that simply do to these reasons of historical significance to US history, as well as a level of importance of the same in India, and because it really is its own bija on standing from general Vishnuism, just as Mormonism is it's own standing in America from Christian, it deserves it's own folder.

Today I think of Lord Muruga. May my Lord grant me bhakti to His majesty.

satay
10 July 2012, 01:24 AM
Admin Note

Namaste

Initially there was no iskcon forum on HDF but as soon as this forum was created we were visited by many iskcon members who were aimlessly talking about Srila prabhupada philosophy in many threads on different sub forums of HDF. Some even asked why there is no iskcon forum here. So a sub forum was created so that focused discussions could be had with iskcon members and where they could present Srila Prabhupada's philosophy properly instead of aimlessly posting in many irrelevant sun forums.

I have no intentions of moving it to vaishnava forum.

hDF adapts to the discussions. For example a few years back there were members who were aimlessly posting universalism philosophy in every thread and discussion so the universalism forum was created. Another example is Jalpa forum which was created for people to let off steam where they can keep repeating themselves if they so choose and keep arguing with others pointlessly.

HDF senior members guide me to allow outlets for all type of discussions and for all personalities sane and insane yet I have to draw the line somewhere so if someone breaks a rule they are out.

satay
10 July 2012, 01:26 AM
I started an internet forum for myself once. However, I later had to ban myself for being too unruly.

You are a better man than myself in that regard. I should have banned myself a long time ago but just couldn't pull the plug. :p

Believer
10 July 2012, 09:54 AM
Namaste,

People whose only problem/disappointment/contention in life is the HD forum sub-divisions, are indeed the most fortunate ones. Most of us have to deal with much bigger and ever evolving issues of being the providers and caretakers of a whole family while at the same time finding time for spiritual upliftment. So, count your blessings and get on with the real purpose of life - to do sadhana.

Pranam.

philosoraptor
10 July 2012, 12:24 PM
Dear Lord, when will that day come, when my biggest problem in the world is Satay's organization of these forums.....

:)

satay
10 July 2012, 01:46 PM
actually technically that organization of forums is not mine. It came from sarabhanga, well here is a name that I haven't written in a long time a very long time.

Dear Lord, when will that day come, when my biggest problem in the world is Satay's organization of these forums.....

:)

philosoraptor
10 July 2012, 02:10 PM
Help me Obi-Wan Satay. You're my only hope. :)