PDA

View Full Version : Deepak Chopra

MysticalGypsi
24 January 2007, 03:51 PM
I searched the site and found nothing on him, so sorry if there is already a thread. What do you think of him?

satay
24 January 2007, 04:08 PM
So far, there has been no thread on Deepak. Nor do I remember any member mentioning his name here on HDF.

Agnideva
24 January 2007, 04:33 PM
Don't know much about Deepak Chopra. He seems to be teaching holistic living and new-age type spirituality. Apparently he's also influenced by quantum physics. So, no educated opinions from my end. I do know that once he told Oprah that if they got married, her name would be Oprah Chopra :D.

A.

saidevo
24 January 2007, 10:50 PM
From a quick glance at his Website http://www.chopra.com/ and the Wikipedia it seems that Deepak is having a highly successful career in the US as a medical practitioner, researcher and spiritual teacher. Of the 40 books he has written many are bestsellers. He was awarded in 1998 the Ig Nobel Prize (a parady of Nobel price) in physics for "his unique interpretation of quantum physics as it applies to life, liberty, and the pursuit of economic happiness." His latest venture is the Virgin Comics LLC partnered by his son Gotham Chopra, and Richard Branson, famed entrepreneur and thrill-seeker. The main theme of the comics are the Indian culture, religion and mythology.

He receives both adulation and criticism, but seems to be successful all the same. I think we need people like Deepak Chopra who teaches a path which may not be truly spiritual to be enlightening or liberating but which is above materialism and useful in the cut-throat competition of modern life.

The values of Indian culture, civilization and religious mythology are best spread among today's younger generation, both in the East and in the West by professional comics, multimedia animations and animated films like Hanuman. The famous Indian picture magazine Chandamama is the pioneer in this area. A professional entrepreneurial venture in this area can eventually counter the total absence of teaching Hinduism in government schools in India and its misrepresentations in the West. So long as the products are reasonably and affordably priced if not offered free, we need to welcome and encourage entrepreneurs like Deepak Chopra, in my opinion.

satay
25 January 2007, 02:45 PM
Saidevo

Thanks for the reply. My only concern was that he asks for so much money for his trainings but maybe he is using part for charity too. I have a friend that I trust who is really into his teachings so I guess he is okay. I do like his words.

I get very suspicious of anyone who makes a business out of the eastern teachings. Deepak is a doctor by profession, I wonder why is he charging so much money for the training. and what is the training for? The money should all go to charity in fact, the money should all go to poorest of the poor in India. Is it?

MysticalGypsi
25 January 2007, 02:59 PM
I think Deepak is okay. Someone I trust has met him and knows him well, so I think he is a good guy.