PDA

View Full Version : Nitya Paaraayana Manjaree

Jainarayan
11 July 2012, 03:53 PM
Namaste.

I put this in the Bhakti section because I thought it had to do with Bhakti (logical, huh? :)).

I have a little book called Nitya Paaraayana Manjaree (http://www.sagarworld.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=275) It has Sanskrit, English and the meanings of stotra like Shree Ganaesha Stotraani, Shiva Stotraani, Saraswatee Stutihi, Mahaalakshmi Ashtakam, Mahaavishnu Praarthanaa, Durgaa Saptashlokee (those are the publisher's transliterations), and the Sri Krishna Ashtakam.

I'd like to chant these mentioned, because they are the deities I feel close to, but my Sanskrit is for the birds. The chanting would consist of reading and haltingly stumbling over the pronunciations as I practice. There is a prayer at the end asking Lord Narayana forgiveness for errors, and for blessing for the effort.

They are not long when you come down to it, and I know I need discipline in my sadhana. But I am wondering if this is "overdoing it", with all these stotram to the deities, being a self-identified Vaishnava. I've been doing nama japa, and some mind-clearing meditation when the time is conducive (i.e., not being disturbed). I'm still working on trying to wake up for Brahma Muhurta, but I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

Opinions?