PDA

View Full Version : Friday 13th - 13 in Hindu Numerology

ShivaFan
13 July 2012, 02:10 PM
Namaste

Just for a little tea time conversation, today is Friday the 13th. Here in the US, it is often discussed as a bad luck day. Also 13 is sometimes seen as a number that can bring misfortune, or can be negative in nature.

Not sure if Friday associated with 13 is particular to the US culture, but what about 13 in Hindu numerology?

Just thought to would be fun to add to the canteen.

Thanks!

Today I praise Yajyavalkya, the future Savant, Priest of Kalki,
8 Siddhis in One Mansion

Equinox
13 July 2012, 02:21 PM
Vannakkam ShivaFan,

That's something i've always wondered about too. Does Friday the 13th have any significance, either good or bad in Hinduism? My opinion would be that it is irrelevant per Hinduism. But, who knows!

Jainarayan
13 July 2012, 02:24 PM
Namaste.

Triskaidekaphobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia) is pretty universal. Yajvan would be the "go-to" person for any symbolism in jyotish.

McKitty
13 July 2012, 02:31 PM
Vanakkam,

It's funny, in others countries people believe it's a good luck day !

Many people here play lottery in friday 13th...

But I think this is more a personnal belief than a real signifiance...But I am maybe wrong ! :D

Aum Namah Shivaya

Arjuni
13 July 2012, 02:32 PM
Namasté,

I'm not sure if Friday+13 means anything in Hinduism, but the 13th day of the waxing moon is a day of Lord Śiva and may be observed as trayodaśī vrata by devotees. The 13-mukhi rudrākṣa is sacred to Lord Indra and Lord Kāma, and may be worn to enhance charisma and self-confidence and to draw beneficial interpersonal relationships.

Nice topic, and I'll be interested to hear more. It is a favourite number of mine.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Mana
13 July 2012, 02:59 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste All,

Yes thank you ShivaFan, for an interesting thread.

I believe the origin of our "Bad luck" link to friday the 13th to be the date upon which one particular pope decided to break
alliance with the knights templar, ordaining their mass massacre on that fateful Friday the 13th.

There is to my mind a link to satya santana dharma in so much that the Knights Templar were most likely, in possession of
knowledge gained from the East, which could have seriously destabilise the churches position.

I am however, speculating; it would be an interesting topic to research, and this seems quite probable to me given the timing,
I should be interested to hear your thoughts and any further information pertaining to the number 13. It is always said to be,
lucky for some.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

Jainarayan
13 July 2012, 03:23 PM
Namaste.

Namasté,

I'm not sure if Friday+13 means anything in Hinduism, but the 13th day of the waxing moon is a day of Lord Śiva and may be observed as trayodaśī vrata by devotees.

There is a trayodashi/pradosham on the 13th day of the waning moon also, coming on this Monday July 16. It so happens that Mondays are Sri Rudra Abishekam at temple. In July pradosham falls on Monday twice, 16th and 30th. I am going to begin keeping the pradosham fasts as well as Ekadashi fasts.

Eastern Mind
13 July 2012, 03:48 PM
Vannakkam: Both in my former life as an agnostic, and in the latter life as a Hindu, I took no notice whatsoever of the number 13, as I thought it was just some weird superstition, not unlike the number 7 being lucky. As a teenage rebel, I stood in elevators where they skipped from 12 to 14, waited for somebody to get out on 14, and then said, "This is floor 13, you know." I was not brave or stupid enough to add, "You Fool!" to the statement.

I shall await (not particularly eagerly) for some Hindu numerologist to prove me wrong with something from scripture regarding Friday the 13th. But since the term 'Friday' and the day Friday isn't part of Hinduism, I don't really expect anyone along any time soon. But yes, for other bored souls on a hot Friday afternoon, at least in North America, please add any fodder to this discussion as you may.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
13 July 2012, 05:46 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is a few ways to look at this -and- all the information below is a thumb-nail view, as much more can be said.

Odd and even numbers
We look at it from this POV :

Odd = solar by nature, masculine, dynamic. They are additional, that is they move things forward

Even = lunar , feminine, static. They are subtractional, the reduce or keep things in a static condition.When one looks at the numbers 0 to 9 , each has a quality. Yet what of higher numbers ? We add them together e.g. 44 = 4+4 = 8 is even. ; 32 = 3+2= 5 = odd. So, 13 = 1+3= 4 = even quality by nature.
Friday is the 6th day of the week and is even . So we can see the infleunce on Friday as being 6 ( even) and the 1+3 = 4 as even. So one may say by day and date it has this 'even' quality to it.

By jyotish
Each planet influences a number.
Now you would think they would align to the days of the week 1-7. This is not the case for each graha but take note of the ones that do:

1 ruled/influnced by Sun and is the 1st day of the week ( Sunday)
2 ruled/influnced by Moon and is the 2nd day of the week ( Monday)
3 ruled/influencd by jupiter
4 ruled/influnced by rāhu
5 ruled/influnced by mercury
6 ruled/influnced by venus¹ and is the 6th day of the week ( Friday)
7 ruled/influnced by ketu
8 ruled/influnced by saturn
9 ruled/influnced by mars

* Note: I myself would have chosen a different scheme, but that is another discussion & I do note get a chance to vote.

What do we now have ?
Friday ruled/influenced by venus. What are venus' qualities ? By nature venus soft, feminine, pleasures of the senses,
passions, silver objects and ornaments, pearls, watery places, vitality, sport and games ( along with mars that provides the fuel/energy) just to name a few qualities.

Venus = soft, feminine
Friday = 6, = even = feminine, static.If one looks at these influnces you get just get a feel for the infuence of Friday and the 13th. YET, too, that infuence would be just a stong for Friday the 6th, 4th, 2th, etc. See my point ?

So, this 6
Note that 6 when factored can be 2+2+2 or it can be 3+3. It's roots are either odd or even. This 6 can take on balance, and be quite benifical. Venus too has this quality - sweet voiced, penchant for beauty, diplomatic, yet too manipulitive if carried in excess.

How will the 13th of Friday turn out ? It depends on how one aligns the stronger qulities in one's own behaviors.
Who are friends of venus ? Saturn ( number 8) and mercury ( number 5); Who is neutral ? mars ( number 9) and jupiter ( number 3); and who is adversarial? sun ( 1) and moon (2).

It is from here ( IMHO) that one can determine ~ in general~ how this day aligns. What is the quality and nature of each graha ? Please consider this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107)

praṇām

words

venus or śukra शुक्र
śukra means bright , resplendent , clean, pure; it is also the essence of anything and associated with ojas, semen and the 'seed' of animals
Śukra is śu + kra. Śu means quickly , swiftly + kra ( or kāra) which is making , doing , working , a maker , doer.
Hence śukra, the one that is bright, and a swift mover ( in the sky). Yet śukra is also associated with beauty from su, one of the verbal roots mentioned before.
Some othe words that sometimes are associted with ( but not) śukra.
sukara means easy, to easy to be done .
śūkāra - that act of startling