PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new and a westerner with a lot of questions.

sakelariosak21
15 July 2012, 12:31 AM
Hello all,
my name is Sakelarios, and have been studying the Hindu religion, for almost two years now. I have read many books including "The Gita"", and the "Upanishad" which contained twelve of the multiple scriptures.
Now before I get going on my insane thoughts and questions. I would like to get you familiar with me.
Im a single father, my son is currently two, and lives with his mother. Im currently a United States Marine.
Now why do I throw that out there? because I one day want to become a monk, to seek the self, away from society.
I know I'd be throwing most my life away, but was wondering a few things, if y'all can help.
1)If I set out to do this, what happens to a monk if baby mamma seeks child support? lol that's a big one.
2) Is there any one in here willing to share the information I need to complete my goal of becoming a monk?
3) What degrees will I need college wise? and where do I go to start learning Sanskrit, or the Indian language?

Eastern Mind
15 July 2012, 03:18 PM
Vannakkam sake: Welcome to these forums, and I hope your stay here is comfortable. Our traditional view of sannyas is that all karmas of the world should be resolved first ... it is more just a natural process, rather than an avoidance of all things worldly. In other words, you have a son, and he needs you. But there are places and situations that one can still be religious, yet fulfill dharmic duties, so all is not lost. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
15 July 2012, 04:53 PM
Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

....I one day want to become a (Hindu) monk.....I know I'd be throwing most my life away, but....
I understand what you are saying, but I wish you would choose better words - becoming a sanyasi (Hindu Monk) is NOT throwing away your life. It would be a process of moving up through spiritual advancement and not a case of 'wasted life'.

If I set out to do this, what happens to a monk if baby mamma seeks child support?
This is a legal issue. If the Govt. thinks you need to pay child support and you become delinquent, then there no ashram which has walls high enough to hide you. And they would not want to jeopardize their reputation by having you there. Nor should you blemish their standing by hiding there. You yourself have to figure out, 'whatcha gonna do, when they come for you.' :)

2) Is there any one in here willing to share the information I need to complete my goal of becoming a monk?
3) What degrees will I need college wise? and where do I go to start learning Sanskrit, or the Indian language?

As EM has so wisely stated, (becoming a monk).. 'is more just a natural process, rather than an avoidance of all things worldly.' You can start in small ways by doing chanting, fasting on certain days, reading (with full comprehension) scriptures, visiting a temple on a regular basis (if there is one close to you) etc. to get you in the right frame of mind. If all goes well then you can take the next step to join an ashram to fulfill your desire. This should not be an escape route from your responsibilities, but for fulfillment of a need (not desire) for the soul. If the soul craves for it, then you will be successful in your endeavor, if it is just a desire, then the desire may take a different direction downstream and you would leave the path. So, I would take the baby steps of setting up a shrine at home, doing regular puja, fasting, reading of scriptures, going to a temple, and at the right time graduating to being an inmate :) at an ashram.

Next time, please ask simpler questions. ;)

Pranam.

Vaikuntha Bound.
15 July 2012, 06:53 PM
Namaste sake,

I have a near two year old, and I have a job that can be a real drain on time. Being a father and a businessman is my dharma. It's the lot in life that I have as a result of choices that I've made in this life and the ones that have come before it. This situation has its lessons about God, who I am, where I'm going, and how to get there. My life can be more challenging than that of a monk, because I have to find ways to do the right thing and yet still be answerable to those who might want me to make an unethical decision. I have to find ways to remember God and still work and be a father and a husband. If you ask me, being a dad is something God privileged you to do and you can't find God by running away from His blessings.

A Swami once told me that the best thing I could do is make my life an offering to God. When you read a story to or play with your little boy, treat him like a baby Krishna. If you get married, treat your wife the way Lord Rama treated Sita. Love your mother, and everyone's mother the way Lord Krishna loved mother Yashoda. Your situation in life, as it is, can be a way for you to enter into God's divine play, if you just treat it as a prayer.

As others have said, I'd take up home puja. If you need something on how to do a simple home puja, I'd be happy to send you what I use. if you're looking for learning opportunities, the Chinmaya Mission offers a fairly extensive set of online courses.

Also, since you're a marine, I would assume that there are Hindu chaplains you could talk with. If not, I would think that the military would at least help put you in contact with a nearby person who would be willing to act as a spiritual advisor for you (unless you're currently deployed).

But if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

All the best,

VB

Believer
15 July 2012, 11:15 PM
Namaste,

I just came from a visit with a mulla in our neighborhood mosk. It is funny that he had the same questions that the OP does. I was wondering if two people could have fathered the same child that they are trying to run away from, and both have the desire to learn Hindi/Sanskrit? Some of the smart muslims who have figured out that their ancestors were forcibly converted and made to be subservient to the Arabs have started their climb back to humanity by becoming Hindu and learning the Hindu scriptures. Rest of them will also wake up some day and become aware of the fact that Hindu men started their family trees. Until then we will keep talking to mullas about the goodness of Bhagwad Gita. Just writing the name of the scriptures Gita and Upanishads in the forum post and by keeping them in their thoughts, they are being uplifted. Hopefully this process will continue.

Pranam.

goodlife
16 July 2012, 02:10 AM
Namaste,

I just came from a visit with a mulla in our neighborhood mosk. It is funny that he had the same questions that the OP does. I was wondering if two people could have fathered the same child that they are trying to run away from, and both have the desire to learn Hindi/Sanskrit? Some of the smart muslims who have figured out that their ancestors were forcibly converted and made to be subservient to the Arabs have started their climb back to humanity by becoming Hindu and learning the Hindu scriptures. Rest of them will also wake up some day and become aware of the fact that Hindu men started their family trees. Until then we will keep talking to mullas about the goodness of Bhagwad Gita. Just writing the name of the scriptures Gita and Upanishads in the forum post and by keeping them in their thoughts, they are being uplifted. Hopefully this process will continue.

Pranam.

Believer Ji Namaskar

Could you please shed more light on this interaction with mullah and if its ok which city or state did this occur? if you think you cant share it in public, kindly PM. Your interaction and experience may be needed else where and may lead to enlightening of minds who are trying to find ways on bringing them back home.

many thanks

PARAM
16 July 2012, 03:35 AM
Namaste, sakelariosak

If I set out to do this, what happens to a monk if baby mamma seeks child support? lol that's a big one.
As a true Hindu, you must be aware that you have to follow the duty of a father and don't let him in dark, such little child need parental support. Nobody will blame you as your wife don't live with you, and if you don't have money then nobody can ask you for any financial support when you don't have it for yourself, but if you enjoy yourself then every Hindu will want you to support your son, even if baby mamma don’t seeks child support.

Vasa
17 July 2012, 10:20 AM
Welcome! I am also new to The forum and a westerner, in a very similar situation as you. I have a 3 year old son who lives with his mom as of our separation a month or so ago. I too would like to become a renunciate and spend all time in meditation and prayer. However, from my understanding of the Gita and the writings of Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, the true sanyasi is one who performs his or her karmic obligations in the Outer World while renouncing sense pleasures in the Inner World. There is no need to run off to the forest to renounce sense pleasures. If you can balance worldly duties with spiritual practice it seems like it would be easier to reach enlightenment as well.

kallol
17 July 2012, 08:38 PM
Welcome to this forum.

I can only say that the main objective of being monk is to detach oneself from the material world. There can be two ways of doing this.

1. Physical detachement and thus a forced mental detachment - taking sannyas or monkhood

2. Develop mental detachment by gaing lots of knowledge and practicing or assimilating that knowledge

The 2nd one allows you to stay in material world and do your duties however everthing you do whether family or not - you do as duty and not as anything you own. You become a gues in your home.

Though tough, this becomes more fulfilling.:)