PDA

View Full Version : Question on Active Members vs Members

wundermonk
17 July 2012, 12:34 AM
Hello knowledgeable members/Webmasters/Satay,

Threads: 7,351, Posts: 81,797, Members: 2,924, Active Members: 2,236

the above is at the bottom of the homepage.

Who gets classified as "Active Members" as opposed to just "Members"?

satay
17 July 2012, 01:08 AM
Namaste,
I have it set up so that if a member has visited in the past two years they are considered as an active member. I am thinking of changing that to a year or less.

Hello knowledgeable members/Webmasters/Satay,

the above is at the bottom of the homepage.

Who gets classified as "Active Members" as opposed to just "Members"?

wundermonk
17 July 2012, 01:53 AM
Namaste,
I have it set up so that if a member has visited in the past two years they are considered as an active member. I am thinking of changing that to a year or less.

Ah ok.

My 2 paise...we can make it 6 months. That will make the number of active users decrease, but I do not see any problem with that. Quality over Quantity.

Additionally, if a user has not logged in for 6 months or so, next to their avatar in every post, we may have "Inactive" show up. The user should still be able to login with the same username/pwd as before though.

satay
18 July 2012, 12:53 AM
Namaste,
Yes I was thinking the same.
Not sure if showing inactive beside their username is possible or not, will look into that.

Ah ok.

My 2 paise...we can make it 6 months. That will make the number of active users decrease, but I do not see any problem with that. Quality over Quantity.

Additionally, if a user has not logged in for 6 months or so, next to their avatar in every post, we may have "Inactive" show up. The user should still be able to login with the same username/pwd as before though.

Amrut
18 July 2012, 06:29 AM
Ah ok.

I was thinking of 3 months as an active member :)

spiritual forums work differently than other forums like Linux forums e.g. forums.linuxmint.com

So as far as HDF is concerned, quality is more important than quantity, so even 1 year / 6 months is fine, or you can set another parameter other than posting frequency i.e. Post count. Number of posts also matter.

So if you use a combination of both, say,

either the last login is less than 1 year or the posts are more than 100, then the member is active or regular visitor.

either the last login is less than 1 year, but posts are less than 2o or 30, then the user is categorized as occasional member or less active member.

Just a thought :)

PARAM
18 July 2012, 08:48 AM
3 months for an active member is enough, just change this too. Satay if I visit HDF one day late there is a message showing that I did not logged in for a while, please change this to one month, daily visit is not possible for all members.

satay
18 July 2012, 08:57 AM
namaste param,

3 months for an active member is enough, just change this too. Satay if I visit HDF one day late there is a message showing that I did not logged in for a while, please change this to one month, daily visit is not possible for all members.

That message is there to remind and encourage members to post and visit daily. You should visit daily if you don't want the message. :)