PDA

View Full Version : Devanagari script

MysticalGypsi
26 January 2007, 01:12 PM
Okay I thought I would post this here since I think this is one of the many things that makes India great.

I bought a little book on Hindi script-very simple. I wanted to practice by hand but also start memorizing the letters by using the computer.

How are you typing Hindi script here? I would like to be able to do that to practice. Thanks!

Agnideva
06 February 2007, 04:57 PM
How are you typing Hindi script here? I would like to be able to do that to practice. Thanks!

MG - Sarabhanga-ji said something about this in one of his threads (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6) (see msg 8 & 9). I'm not sure myself how to do this. I can read what others have written, but I can't write with that font.

A.

Agnideva
07 February 2007, 04:50 PM
I do not see this in the message editor? I wonder if he has the script font downloaded on his computer? I found a website that will let you download hindi/sanskrit script but I am not sure how it works, what to do with it after it is downloaded?
The font that Sarabhanga uses is called Mangal, I think (or at least that's what my computer tells me). I even tried to download that font, but I can't use it as a font to write with, either here or in MS word. I have a different devanagari font already in my computer, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to see. Let's try it. Can you see Devanagari below? (my guess is no).

n;m;st;e

MysticalGypsi
07 February 2007, 06:53 PM
Nope can't see it!

Keep trying to figure it out, though!! :)

sarabhanga
07 July 2007, 12:26 AM
Namaste,

If you are using a Windows system, the easiest way to post in Devanagari is to use Itranslator (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=742&highlight=Itranslator#post742).

For example:

INPUT:
agnimiiLe purohitaM yaj~nasya devamR^itvijam |
hotaaraM ratnadhaatamam ||

OUTPUT:
अग्निमीळे पुरोहितं यज्ञस्य देवमृत्विजम् ।
होतारं रत्नधातमम् ॥

agnimīḻe purohitaṁ yajñasya devamṛtvijam |
hotāraṁ ratnadhātamam ||

Then simply cut and paste into the HDF editor. :)